Super DOOOPER important to read... REALLY.

Guest missingsomething

Guest missingsomething

Ok I have two job potentials. Would ya'll pray for me that I would get the best one for me. I believe that to be the one close by...

But trust me... I can use all the brownie points I could use... so If you think I've ever done something nice...hehehe... you know... maybe use that as leverage? hehehe Just kidding but first interview (local) is Wed at 10am. I will be fasting this weekend along with my sister and a very close friend. Anyone wanna join me?

Anyone who knows my life knows it has kinda gone down the drain since ya'll first met me.... need some positives.

Thanks.

Hey maybe I could start one of those email chain letter thingys? hehe. :rolleyes:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest missingsomething

missing of course you know you have a huge cheer section here to pray and support you.

count me in.

Thanks pros! I know I love my lds.net family. Right now... they are really my only family and I couldnt make it without ya'll. :)

What peace comes with being able to finally have some options and say to Heavenly Father... I think this is best for me, but not my will..thy will be done. I trust He will provide the best thing for me.

You think that us not praying for you might result in you not getting the job you want?

Seriously?

What kind of unjust God would supernaturally intercede to prevent you or aid you in getting a job based on your ability to talk others into praying for you?

snow, I agree with you, but a lot of it is psychological. If someone believes they are more likely to get the job due to prayer, chances are that they are because they are less nervous and more confident in their chances.

Guest missingsomething

You think that us not praying for you might result in you not getting the job you want?

Seriously?

What kind of unjust God would supernaturally intercede to prevent you or aid you in getting a job based on your ability to talk others into praying for you?

WOW snow ... are YOU SERIOUS?

SERIOUSLY you are not serious right?

IF you cant tell the areas in which I am joking and not... well then... you have a very limited language.

HOWEVER... I do believe that people praying on your behave DOES help and aid you. IF I was wrong about this... we would not pray for people in the temple. I am asking for prayers.

And to attack someone ... well that is the quint-essential sin (in my opinion) of religious people. If you were to say to me... I believe that Heavenly Father loves you and will do what is right for you, regardless of what others pray for... THEN yes, that would be a truly loving and christian statement. Instead.. read your response.

I am grateful for a strong faith that people who are negative and well, who lack the ability to discern things, and to react with little compassion do NOT affect my faith.

OH and by the way... whatever happened to .... if you dont have something nice to say..?

So SERIOUSLY... you're joking right?

Guest missingsomething

snow, I agree with you, but a lot of it is psychological. If someone believes they are more likely to get the job due to prayer, chances are that they are because they are less nervous and more confident in their chances.

Actually, I offer prayers for people all the time and to say... this is just a "psychological benefit" for them... is to say that MY HEAVENLY FATHER does not care about my prayers for that person.

So.. at the very core... I disagree with your concept.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

furthermore...

I WAS JOKING about the brownie points, etc... but I DO believe others prayers on our behalf are useful, effective and teaches us more about ourselves and how we respond to others needs than anything we can mouth about how much we care about a person. I believe that those who can pray for others instead of their own needs, are closer to how Heavenly Father intends us to be, than those who believe He wont listen to those prayers.

And more over, I believe that how you speak to people is a bigger judge of character than just about anything else. Second to loving God is loving they neighbor... think thats just coincidence? Nada... nope... but just like loving God needs to be a PURE love... so does loving your neighbor.

I KNOW my Heavenly Father will answer my prayers with OR WITHOUT your prayers on my behalf. SO really- who looses by being negative about it?

you (you being a pronoun...not you specifically Mahone :)...)

Actually, I offer prayers for people all the time and to say... this is just a "psychological benefit" for them... is to say that MY HEAVENLY FATHER does not care about my prayers for that person.

So.. at the very core... I disagree with your concept.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

furthermore...

I WAS JOKING about the brownie points, etc... but I DO believe others prayers on our behalf are useful, effective and teaches us more about ourselves and how we respond to others needs than anything we can mouth about how much we care about a person. I believe that those who can pray for others instead of their own needs, are closer to how Heavenly Father intends us to be, than those who believe He wont listen to those prayers.

And more over, I believe that how you speak to people is a bigger judge of character than just about anything else. Second to loving God is loving they neighbor... think thats just coincidence? Nada... nope... but just like loving God needs to be a PURE love... so does loving your neighbor.

I KNOW my Heavenly Father will answer my prayers with OR WITHOUT your prayers on my behalf. SO really- who looses by being negative about it?

you (you being a pronoun...not you specifically Mahone :)...)

I'm not necessarily arguing against the idea that praying on behalf of someone else has a divine benefit, but my main point was that for even those who disagree with that, it's not entirely pointless. Pam is right, it's a placebo.

Guest missingsomething

I'm not necessarily arguing against the idea that praying on behalf of someone else has a divine benefit, but my main point was that for even those who disagree with that, it's not entirely pointless. Pam is right, it's a placebo.

hmmmm I see and can respect that.

For someone who does not have sufficent faith ... yes I suppose at least it is a placebo... but I KNOW it to be much more than that in reality.

WOW snow ... are YOU SERIOUS?

SERIOUSLY you are not serious right?

IF you cant tell the areas in which I am joking and not... well then... you have a very limited language.

HOWEVER... I do believe that people praying on your behave DOES help and aid you. IF I was wrong about this... we would not pray for people in the temple. I am asking for prayers.

And to attack someone ... well that is the quint-essential sin (in my opinion) of religious people. If you were to say to me... I believe that Heavenly Father loves you and will do what is right for you, regardless of what others pray for... THEN yes, that would be a truly loving and christian statement. Instead.. read your response.

I am grateful for a strong faith that people who are negative and well, who lack the ability to discern things, and to react with little compassion do NOT affect my faith.

OH and by the way... whatever happened to .... if you dont have something nice to say..?

So SERIOUSLY... you're joking right?

Somehow you interpret questions as not being "nice" and a "quint-essential sin." I'd say that's odd, but so you don't feel attacked, let me simply state a little common sense rather than ask you questions.

God allows innocent people, including babies, the elderly, the most vulnerable and pure to suffer the very worst sort of evil and horror... losing jobs, losing homes, losing loved ones, murder, rape, torture, mental illness, disease, etc... everyday, all day, without ceasing, despite the sincere and desperate prayers of the victims and concerned onlookers. To think that God make not supernaturally intercede to make a boss decide to hire a person when that boss might otherwise not hire said person because one failed to enlist anonymous people on the internet to pray for it, doesn't make much sense. And contrary to your opining that God will do what is right for you, it is SELF-EVIDENT that he daily does NOT.

Now - could you please explain how it is that I lack the ability to discern - please be specific and provide some evidence.

Edited by Snow

Of course my well wishes go out to not only this, but all job seekers but that doesn't make me suspend logical thinking.

I think the failure to discern was your apparent inability to realize what was an honest request for prayers in a difficult situation, which the Church and scirptures are absolutely clear we should do, versus some tongue in cheek humor that to me appears to have been meant to provide some uplifting good nature during a very trying and difficult time.

That being said, I took offense to your responses and wondered as well how you could be so missing the point. Your post suggests, perhaps not intentionally, that asking others for prayers on a matter like this is a waste of time, besides some psychological value. If that is truly your belief, then, perhaps we all need to pray for you. Because, you have missed the point. God does listen to our prayers. God does care when others pray for us. God does care when we have enough faith to ask others to pray on our behalf. Missingsomething is excercising great faith to ask for the prayers that we are repeatedly told by church leaders, scriptures, and teh savior, to ask for. Perhaps that is the other part of the perceived insult or incredulity in your careless and uncaring response.

Somehow you interpret questions as not being "nice" and a "quint-essential sin." I'd say that's odd, but so you don't feel attacked, let me simply state a little common sense rather than ask you questions.

God allows innocent people, including babies, the elderly, the most vulnerable and pure to suffer the very worst sort of evil and horror... losing jobs, losing homes, losing loved ones, murder, rape, torture, mental illness, disease, etc... everyday, all day, without ceasing, despite the sincere and desperate prayers of the victims and concerned onlookers. To think that God make not supernaturally intercede to make a boss decide to hire a person when that boss might otherwise not hire said person because one failed to enlist anonymous people on the internet to pray for it, doesn't make much sense. And contrary to your opining that God will do what is right for you, it is SELF-EVIDENT that he daily does NOT.

Now - could you please explain how it is that I lack the ability to discern - please be specific and provide some evidence.

Guest missingsomething

Your lack of faith in God, lack of understanding of what I believe to be true as taught by my church, and lack of faith in prayer explain your responses to me.

I need not respond any further to your posts because I am sure it will be evident to people what I believe, understand what I have said, and see where you differ greatly in beliefs. I will not be confrontional wit you- as to be honest... even if I quoted scripture - you wouldnt accept it. We are told not to content with people.

Ultimately, everyone has a choice in how they will respond to the prompting of the spirit - true... but God is powerful and can move mountains - so I believe whole-heartly, that he can also move or "touch" a persons thoughts/feelings/soul to act righteously.

I believe in the power of my Heavenly Father and I TRUST HIS WILL will be done. I believe his power is greater than satans...the true person who causes evil in the world.

Your BELIEF of how God treats people... and what he "does and does not do" in my personal opinion is flawed. Good luck with those beliefs.. I hope in the end they work out for you.

Good luck - Im just much happier to know that my Heavenly Father hears me and answers my prayers. And trust me snow.. I will be praying for you.

I think the failure to discern was your apparent inability to realize what was an honest request for prayers in a difficult situation, which the Church and scirptures are absolutely clear we should do, versus some tongue in cheek humor that to me appears to have been meant to provide some uplifting good nature during a very trying and difficult time.

Nope - that's not it. I "discerned" that the request was sincere and my post was not tongue in cheek.

That being said, I took offense to your responses and wondered as well how you could be so missing the point.

Nope - I got the point. I just disagree with it.

Your post suggests, perhaps not intentionally, that asking others for prayers on a matter like this is a waste of time, besides some psychological value.

Nope. Nothing about my post was unintentional, nor did I say it was a waste of time. It may or may not be a waste of time but I didn't address that. I spoke only to what I inferred from the post that God supernaturally intercedes when strangers pray for successful job hunting.

If that is truly your belief, then, perhaps we all need to pray for you.

Nope - my life, my faith, my salvation, my happiness will not be affected in the least by your prayers. You can pray if you think it will do YOU some good but it will have zero utility for me.

Because, you have missed the point. God does listen to our prayers. God does care when others pray for us. God does care when we have enough faith to ask others to pray on our behalf.

Do you have any measurable evidence that jobseekers who pray, ceteris paribus, get desired jobs with any greater frequency than those that don't?

I suspect you don't. I suspect you simply want it to be true and so state it as a fact when in reality there is no evidence whatsoever to that effect.

Missingsomething is excercising great faith to ask for the prayers that we are repeatedly told by church leaders, scriptures, and teh savior, to ask for. Perhaps that is the other part of the perceived insult or incredulity in your careless and uncaring response.

Oh pshaw. I hope she gets a job as much as anyone here. Don't make false accusations.

Your lack of faith in God, lack of understanding of what I believe to be true as taught by my church, and lack of faith in prayer explain your responses to me.

Tsk, tsk, tsk. Fabricating nonsense is not nice. I have as much or more faith in God than anyone here. Perhaps, or likely, more, than you.

Your BELIEF of how God treats people... and what he "does and does not do" in my personal opinion is flawed.

Really - care to explain how innocent people and children are murdered, tortured and raped despite their prayers that they not be murdered, tortured or raped?

Guest missingsomething

Let's all knock off the fights or I'll have to separate some people from the site for a while.

If you feel I need to be banned... then please do so.

ANother thought...

Why is it that some people can take a simple, honest, sincere post... and "turn it" and antagonize people on a regular basis... and do not get threatened with being banned?

Things that make you go hmmmm.

(At least now I "get" why several people have told me they have quit posting to the forums because of the backlash they receive)....

And incase I do get banned... Take care all... even the trouble makers... ;)

Edited by missingsomething