Attending Non-LDS College

Hey,

I'm a 19-year-old convert, and I start college this August. I will be attending a a Catholic university and I'm worried about meeting other YSAs and about dating. There is no YSA ward near me, and I know nothing about the local family ward except that it meets at the stake center a few miles away from the school. I do know that there is institute at the stake center. What else should I do to meet other YSA members? Do you have any advice?

Thank you,

AClaire11

I don't know where exactly you live in the USA, but outside of the USA those are completely normal circumstances. I don't think I've ever come across a YSA ward in the area of the UK that I live in and we certainly don't have any LDS colleges or educational buildings.

There isn't really a lot else you can do aside from attend institute and all other YSA activities. There may be a local ysa facebook group you can join as well - I know we have one here. I really would not worry about it.

Thank you so much! I took your advice and I found two facebook groups. One for my ward's YSA and one for the regional YSA. Plus I googled my college and LDS and apparently we have a pair of LDS football recruits there. So at least now I know that there are A) LDS students at my school and B) a decent amount of Young Single Adults in the area.

Thanks so much for your advice. I do have one more question. Do/did you find it difficult to be involved both at Church and at college? I want to go to the different Church activities, but I also want to be involved in a few things and have a decent social life at college.

• 4 months later...

This is what I'm going through as well. I live in the Midwest, and both colleges I've gone to (I've transfered before) have been small and Non-LDS (Presbyterian and now Southern Baptist) there have been only a few YSAs at my wards, so relying on both meeting and bonding with the members near you AND using the internet can help make it feel better.

• 2 weeks later...

This is what I'm going through as well. I live in the Midwest, and both colleges I've gone to (I've transfered before) have been small and Non-LDS (Presbyterian and now Southern Baptist) there have been only a few YSAs at my wards, so relying on both meeting and bonding with the members near you AND using the internet can help make it feel better.

What do you mean by using the internet? My parents are nonmembers and would definitely not let me spend money on an LDS dating site, if that's what you are referring to.

I've been to a bunch of YSA activities. There are only around 4 or 5 YSAs in the ward, and around 20 in the stake. (And a good number of people are already 'paired off.') It seems like most of the members at my university are grad students, and all but two of them are already married.

What do you mean by using the internet? My parents are nonmembers and would definitely not let me spend money on an LDS dating site, if that's what you are referring to.

I've been to a bunch of YSA activities. There are only around 4 or 5 YSAs in the ward, and around 20 in the stake. (And a good number of people are already 'paired off.') It seems like most of the members at my university are grad students, and all but two of them are already married.

That's how it seemed to me as well (still does). I've never used a dating site, but I've used facebook to get to know people, like you do on here. Get to know YSAs and other college aged members with groups or searching them there.