Question about Becoming a High Priest?

kpatrey

After sitting in our sacrament meeting today and seeing 3 brothers moved to High Priests, I was wondering what makes a person "qualify" for High Priest? Since not all male members are H.P.'s does that mean that there are requirements that must be met before being moved into that position? Being fairly new I wasn't comfortable asking in church today. Thanks!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After sitting in our sacrament meeting today and seeing 3 brothers moved to High Priests, I was wondering what makes a person "qualify" for High Priest? Since not all male members are H.P.'s does that mean that there are requirements that must be met before being moved into that position? Being fairly new I wasn't comfortable asking in church today. Thanks!

I know they will disagree. But I'm pretty sure being old is one of the requirements. :D

The way I see it usually happen is that it comes in conjunction with some sort of calling that needs the higher authority. For example, my husband became a HP because he was called into a bishopric. Our new bishopric are all new HP's as well. I don't think anyone becomes a HP just to become a HP.

I know they will disagree. But I'm pretty sure being old is one of the requirements. :D

I typically see those who are 40+ or in a calling that requires that particular priesthood office (bishopric, etc.).

Well, that's the trend that I see.

As far as I know there is no requirment. Its usually an age things. When the Man feels more confertable with the HPs vs with the Elders. Once the man feels its time to move up, he can.

Like others have said, usually it ends up happening before that more for a calling reason.

I don't think age has to do with it because there is a guy who is in his early 30's in our HP.

There isn't an age requirment (any Elder can be a HP).

In this example the man had a calling where he needed to be a HP, so they make him a HP for the calling.

If it doesn't happen because of calling then its usually because of Age or grouping.

The way I see it usually happen is that it comes in conjunction with some sort of calling that needs the higher authority. For example, my husband became a HP because he was called into a bishopric. Our new bishopric are all new HP's as well. I don't think anyone becomes a HP just to become a HP.

Another reason would be a call to the High Council.

Generally speaking, High Priests are older, but part of that is because the older you get, the more experience and greater variety of callings you tend to get/have. Ergo, when you get a "big" calling (Bishopric, High Council) after years of experience and training, you are advanced to High Priest. Not everyone who receives those callings are necessarily older, however. Additionally, there is a brother in my ward who has been a member of the Church for almost 20 years, is 45-50 years in age, and is still an Elder. It's not an automatic advancement just because one reaches a certain age.

Being "old" is NOT a requirement. I was 29 years when ordained a high priest and called into a bishopric.

It occurs for a couple reasons. First, you are called to a priesthood position that requires being a high priest (normally into a bishopric or the stake high council). Second, some stakes have a policy of ordaining active elders that turn a certain age (say 45 or 50 years). My new bishopric has two counselors who were elders in their early 30s, now ordained as high priests for the new calling.

In our stake, we have the policy of having elders at the age of 45 to begin attending high priests, even though we do not ordain them as high priests at the time. I'm a high priest group leader in my ward. So far, I've had two assistants that were elders who attended high priests. I've had both of them ordained as high priests for their callings.

As far as I know there is no requirment. Its usually an age things. When the Man feels more confertable with the HPs vs with the Elders. Once the man feels its time to move up, he can.

Like others have said, usually it ends up happening before that more for a calling reason.

I might do this sometime. It feels strange being so far from the age of the next eldest elder.

It has aways seemed to me that they should have reversed the order of High Priest and Elder. Makes sense to have Priests become High Priests and then make the transition to Elders when they get older.

I got the impression (this is based on my experience 15-odd years ago when I used to attend an LDS chapel) that the High Priests' Quorum represented the older male element of the branch, and that elders (and even prospective elders) of the similar age group were considered part of it - as far as social events went anyhow.

I read somewhere that a man can serve as .bishop without being a HP if he can prove that he is descended from the tribe of Levi - but that this has never actually happened.

I read somewhere that a man can serve as .bishop without being a HP if he can prove that he is descended from the tribe of Levi - but that this has never actually happened.

Doctrine and Covenants 107

17 But as a high priest of the Melchizedek Priesthood has authority to officiate in all the lesser offices, he may officiate in the office of bishop when no literal descendant of Aaron can be found, provided he is called and set apart and ordained unto this power by the hands of the Presidency of the Melchizedek Priesthood.

Emphasis mine - just to show that there was a slight difference in wording.

• 2 years later...

It is interesting this topic popped up, as I have been thinking about it a lot.

There is an older gentleman who attends church infrequently. I get the sense he is very uncomfortable in the elders quorum. Seeing as people around his age are High Priests. It almost makes him, as it would me, feel inferior to his peers and he is probably embarrassed.

It is interesting that some stakes have policies that after a certain age they get moved to HP. I think that is a necessary policy or many older members would not attend.

In our stake, we have the policy of having elders at the age of 45 to begin attending high priests, even though we do not ordain them as high priests at the time. I'm a high priest group leader in my ward. So far, I've had two assistants that were elders who attended high priests. I've had both of them ordained as high priests for their callings.

Is that "policy" found in the Handbook? What if the EQP balks at the notion that this is done? He does after all hold "keys". I personally, think that unless the calling warrants becoming a High Priest, one shouldn't attend HP unless they are very old. Wisdom and experience of the older brethren can be a positive force in the Elder's Quorum.

Higher Priesthood? Becoming a High Priest is NOT a higher Priesthood. All Priesthood is Melchizedek.

Is that "policy" found in the Handbook? What if the EQP balks at the notion that this is done? He does after all hold "keys". I personally, think that unless the calling warrants becoming a High Priest, one shouldn't attend HP unless they are very old. Wisdom and experience of the older brethren can be a positive force in the Elder's Quorum.

Realize that you are responding to three-year-old posts.

The stake president presides over all Melchizedek Priesthood holders in the stake. It is his privilege to ask (or instruct) certain elders to attend their ward high priests group instead of their elders quorum. Such things are left entirely to his discretion. I thought that group leader assistants were required to be high priests, but Ram's post makes it sound like maybe not.

And you are correct that the Priesthood is all the same. But the handbooks talk about the office of high priest as "higher" than that of elder. Make of that what you will.

Realize that you are responding to three-year-old posts.

The stake president presides over all Melchizedek Priesthood holders in the stake. It is his privilege to ask (or instruct) certain elders to attend their ward high priests group instead of their elders quorum. Such things are left entirely to his discretion. I thought that group leader assistants were required to be high priests, but Ram's post makes it sound like maybe not.

And you are correct that the Priesthood is all the same. But the handbooks talk about the office of high priest as "higher" than that of elder. Make of that what you will.

Yes....I do.

And i can't imagine why a Stake President would inject himself to that level. Asking certain Elders is one thing, but an age based policy like the one described by Ram? Not so much....

Where in the Handbook?

Haha! Or maybe it has to do with smoking something... :lol:

Except my BIL was called to be a bishop at quite a young age, and as a result became a high priest.

Some people they have meet with the HP Group even if they are not actually high priests, because they are older, and might fit in better with their age-peers. And sometimes they decide "What the heck, he's meeting with the HPs, might as well make him one!"

But yeah, it's often a result of a calling like Bishop or High Councillor.

Once upon a time you could request to become a HP without a calling that needed it. The Church in general has moved away from that practice. However, if you feel more confortable in being with the HP due to age, you may do so, but you would not be made a HP just for that fact.

I am 32 years old and a HP [gasp!]. I was made so by serving in the Bishopric of my current ward. I was released less than 2 weeks ago and am now expected to attend with the other HP of the ward. Last week we had a combined meeting, but let me tell you, I am not extremely looking forward to hanging out with all of the old guys :lol: I actually would still feel more confortable with the Elders, which I know I could also do. But it feels weird to be hanging with all of the other HPs.

I dont know why the manual would call high priests higher. Probably was not intended to mean it was higher. They are all 'sideways' to each other. In our ward older men met together in high priests even if they have not been called to that.

My gosh we get so hung up over social stature that we feed the priesthood into it. A person has the priesthood he needs for his job not because he is cool or more important. sighs. but we will always have pecking orders wont we, even if God doesnt. .

I dont know why the manual would call high priests higher. Probably was not intended to mean it was higher. They are all 'sideways' to each other. In our ward older men met together in high priests even if they have not been called to that.

My gosh we get so hung up over social stature that we feed the priesthood into it. A person has the priesthood he needs for his job not because he is cool or more important. sighs. but we will always have pecking orders wont we, even if God doesnt. .

This is a really easy question if you think about it. An Elder is an office in the Melchizedek priesthood as is the High Priest.

Within the Aaronic Priesthood, we have (as you know), deacon, teacher, and priest. As the priest office is higher than a deacon and teacher, so is the office of a High Priest higher than the office of an Elder.

Each office holds responsibilities and duties. The higher up the office the greater the responsibility of righteousness and what one may participate in. The office of an Elder is not sufficient to perform sealings within the Temple, but the office of a high priest may officiate in sealings. The priest may now perform the ordinance of baptism, while the deacon and teacher are unable to do so, because they hold an office, which is unable to participate or perform this responsibility.

A Patriarch is within the office of a High Priest, thus signifying again that the office of an High Priest is higher than the office of an Elder.

This does not induce that the High Priest is more important than the Elder. As the Priesthoods form a body. Each body part is important to the function of the whole body, yet in function, certain parts of the body require more attention, or else the whole body will shut down. Loose a limb, the body keeps moving, yet the body misses that part. Take out the brain or heart, and the body ceases its function and life.

If we are following doctrine the calling of a High Priest should follow:

1. Righteousness and Worthiness (Abraham 1:2, Elder Bednar's talk this past G.C., many called but few are chosen)

2. Revelation (Think of Aaron being called the first High Priest in the law of Moses)

3. Willingness (Some are worthy, but not willing)

Edited by Anddenex

I could not agree with you more about Priesthood office and "status". I think such considerations violate the very nature of Priesthood.

Having said that, the Handbook is quite clear in how it refers to such things, and I don't believe it's merely a coincidence or a poor choice of words. My point was not that a high priest should think himself better or more powerful or righteous than an elder, but only that the Church does indeed make the distinction of (for lack of a better term) rank.