The Bible is so confusing!

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yup. it is. :) Not sure if you are serious about your concern or just expressing amusement here.

I sympathize, though. I think it takes a little study and help from other bodies of scripture and commentary to understand what the words mean and the context in which they are said....especially considering that we live in a different time and are reading from a translation. This may be one of the reasons the LDS people believe the Bible as far as it is translated correctly. I think some of these are just missing added explanation.

Following what the Spirit teaches while we study certainly helps too.

I am serious. I want to know what God is really like and they say to read the bible for answers. And for me it just causes more confusion. Here is some stuff from that website. The bold words are my comments.

"When the Lord delivers it into your hand, put to the sword all the males .... As for the women, the children, the livestock and everything else in the city, you may take these as plunder for yourselves." (Deuteronomy 20:13-14)

I thought God was merciful, loving and good?

I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Exodus 32:14

And the LORD repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people.

I thought God was all good and had no evil in him? The Bible is just plain confusing and just reading some of the cruel stuff from God in here troubles me.

I have some presuppositions about God. He is all powerful and He is good and just. I find these characteristics about God in the Bible, and, to use LDS terminology, I have a testimony to this. So, when I read the Old Testament, I do so through that prism. God is just, so if God commanded the Israelites to destroy a wicked people, this is his sovereign justice. Further, any innocents in that society would still be ushered into God's eternal kingdom. We don't believe in annihilation of the soul, after all.

As for God repenting, changing his mind, context would show that these came about as God's people petitioned him in prayer. That God responds to our cries is not confusing to me...it's incredibly reassuring!

Scriptures are inspired and understood by the Holy Spirit. It's not surprising that reading atheist commentary on the Bible would cause one confusion.

The Bible is hard to understand for most people, because most people do not understand how ancient people think. Nephi told his people that he would explain Isaiah to them in a way they would understand. Why? Because growing up in Jerusalem, he knew how they thought, but his people in America did not know nor understand.

It can take years of study to begin understanding the ancient ways of thinking, the symbolism, and how each event made sense to the Israelites. Many Christians do not make the effort, but go on faith that somehow to God it all makes sense. Most Christians never have read the Old Testament all the way through, while more have read the New Testament, which is easier to understand as it is more teaching, and less historical drama.

I would suggest you start by reading the New Testament a few times, along with Genesis, Exodus. Much of it will go over your head, because you do not know the various kingdoms of the world in those times, their customs, their gods, or their religions. But you can get a taste of the history of the Old Testament.

I suggest that after you've read the New Testament, Genesis and Exodus a few times, where you are somewhat comfortable with them, read some commentaries on them. These can give background and insight on the issues at hand.

Next, read the Book of Mormon a couple times. It will help set the stage for the times of Jeremiah and 600BC. Several of the OT concepts are better explained in the Book of Mormon, as are their views and ideas. It will give you a primer on Isaiah, as Nephi quotes and then explains several of Isaiah's chapters. It will also help you to see how the belief in a Messiah and Christology developed over time, from Lehi's knowing a Messiah was to come, to Jacob and King Benjamin being told his name is Christ, to Jesus actually coming to the Nephites and teaching them His law and gospel.

Once you've done this, then try reading the Old Testament all the way through. Take notes on the things you do not understand, and ask them here.

Most confusion concerning the bible can be encapsulated into three broad areas when it was written, how was it translated, and how it was made.

The old testament was written in ancient hebrew over a thousand years before christians existed, it was translated several times before christians ever saw it, and finally, after several more translations, found its way into the english language.

The new testament was created by a council who decided what was worthy and what was not. It was also translated a couple of times before reaching the english language.

On top of language barriers, both the new and old testaments were heavily edited with each translation.

Even if these translations, edits, and councils totally 100% accurate each book of the bible was written by a separate person (and in the case of psalms, several people). Each person has his own take on god and his action and, despite being similar, no two people will see god in the exact same way. So one person's 'merciful god' could be another's 'vengeful god.'

To further compound confusion, there are several oddities concerning the relationship between science, nature, and the bible.

Hi SortOfMormon, I'd like to respond to your post about understanding the Bible. Having read the Bible for many years, it can be confusing if you're just starting off. When I first read scripture, I started off on Genesis because I thought it makes sense to read it from the beginning.

At first, it gets interesting but then as you read Leviticus, Numbers, you start to wonder if it'll ever end.

Here's the advice I was given when I got saved;

1. Pray before you Read.

I'm sure you that someone has already shown you James 1:5....

5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

Pray to God to give you understanding and not let any bias or preconceived beliefs interfere with the proper interpretation of Scripture.

2. Read the New Testament first before the Old Testament beginning with either gospel accounts. The New Testament will give you a better understanding of the OT because the OT law is restated and also explained. Once you've read the NT, you will have a much better understanding of the OT

3. Basic Reading and Interpretation (a, b, c, & d)

a). Interpret the Bible Literally and at face-value; why? Because it was meant to be that way:

29 The secret things belong unto the LORD our God: but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children for ever, that we may do all the words of this law. - Deuteronomy 19:29

The Bible is not a Code Book nor it has any hidden meanings. While most can be read literally, by common sense, you know that Prophecy, Parables, and the Poetic books (Psalms & Proverbs etc)

b) Quality of reading more important than Quantity (Or how much).

While reading 6 chapters a day allow you to finish the Bible in a year, it does little to help in your understanding. By reading the Bible at your own pace, you will get more details of the passage, and therefore, you know the context of the passage and this will prove invaluable in your ministry.

c) Have a Journal and Pencil ready to jot down what stuck out for you and the ones you don't understand.

d) Context and Difficulty.

The Context is the background of the sentence. It can be a paragraph to a few chapters because it may deal with a broader issue. The Context is a very important thing in seeing what the Bible says, especially in building a strong defense of God's word and your faith (2 Timothy 2:15).

When encountering a problematic passage, look at the context of the verse because more often than not, you will find the answer you're looking for. However, if you still cannot solve it; write it down on your notes for your Elders to look at it.

Don't be afraid to ask, there is no such thing as a stupid question. Your Elders and your peers are there to help. Once you received your answer, write it down on your journal so that you can look back on it.

Other Tips:

1. Search for a Bible Commentary. I don't know if the LDS has a commentary yet on the whole bible but look for it. A good commentary deals with every chapter in the Bible, not just select chapters and passages.

2. Buy a Bible Dictionary or Encyclopedia.

3. Buy a KJV dictionary because Old English is not easy for anyone to understand. If you can, buy an easy-to-read Bible version such as the NKJV

The old testament was written in ancient hebrew over a thousand years before christians existed, it was translated several times before christians ever saw it, and finally, after several more translations, found its way into the english language.

Actually, it is only about 400 years, if we consider Malachi's prophecy period. And if we listen to modern scholars view that Daniel and several other books were written in the 2nd Century BC, we get even closer to the Christian era.

Ram, every Old Testament book has it's own issues, but over all, I found that the more liberal and less open to supernatural reality the scholars are the later they want to date the writings. Not to say that the oldest dates are always correct, but I'm a bit skeptical about those who are passionate to place dates as late as possible.

1. Search for a Bible Commentary. I don't know if the LDS has a commentary yet on the whole bible but look for it. A good commentary deals with every chapter in the Bible, not just select chapters and passages.

2. Buy a Bible Dictionary or Encyclopedia.

3. Buy a KJV dictionary because Old English is not easy for anyone to understand. If you can, buy an easy-to-read Bible version such as the NKJV

If you want your commentary from an LDS perspective, I find the Seminary and Institute student manuals quite helpful, and they're inexpensive, either in hard copy or on a CD of PDF files (that CD will get you all the current manuals for less than $5 US). See ldscatalog.com.

I was just reading some random pages of the Bible, and it is like reading a language from Mars! Some of it is just plain hard to understand. And it always seems to contradict itself. Take a look at this.

Crazy stuff from the bible

What am I supposed to believe?

You know, I didn't see that site you've cited; I took a quick look and I realized that it was from an agnostic/atheist.

When you look at those scriptures, they do seemed to contradict each other but i believe that So-called Bible Contradictions, are not really contradictions at all but verses either misunderstood, used as a straw-man, or simply been taken out of their context.

I'll be looking at them one by one, and explain each one here to you.

Sorry, I keep forgetting christans lump other things than the Torah into the old testament. Parts of the old testament are over a thousand years old.

Lots of answers for screwy bible verses crop up, 'taken out of context,' 'allegorical or metaphorical,' and 'it was a miracle/it's all a mystery.'

Just like any amalgamated book the bible tends to have conflicting views on events. Maybe this is simple witness error, as I said before no people see the same thing the same way, or a translation, editing, or some other transcription error. It may also be someone who was doing the writing screwed up, wrote down what someone else said, or simply took some kind of poetic license.

I mean, how else can you get striped and spotted cow by using wooden rods?

I am serious. I want to know what God is really like and they say to read the bible for answers. And for me it just causes more confusion. Here is some stuff from that website. The bold words are my comments.

"When the Lord delivers it into your hand, put to the sword all the males .... As for the women, the children, the livestock and everything else in the city, you may take these as plunder for yourselves." (Deuteronomy 20:13-14)

I thought God was merciful, loving and good?

I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Exodus 32:14

And the LORD repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people.

I thought God was all good and had no evil in him? The Bible is just plain confusing and just reading some of the cruel stuff from God in here troubles me.

God Is Loving by nature, but God is also Just, Merciful, and Holy so therefore, He must punish sin for what it is (see Exodus 34:6-7).

In that passage you are looking at, Isaiah 45:7; that is His statement of Authority, that He acts according to what is Right in His eyes:

6 That they may know from the rising of the sun, and from the west, that there is none beside me. I am the LORD, and there is none else.

7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

And now on Exodus 32:14, let me ask you a question; why do you think the Bible says that?

Sorry, I keep forgetting christans lump other things than the Torah into the old testament. Parts of the old testament are over a thousand years old.

Last time I looked at my Hebrew Bible, it had pretty much the same books as the Christian Old Testament, just in a different order. All of the Old Testament are over a thousand years old, as we have all but one book found among the Dead Sea Scrolls (dated circa 200 BCE - 70AD).

As we now have it, the Torah dates to around 600-500 BCE (with Ezra redacting it), and portions within those books dating earlier, depending on the writer (J wrote about 800 BCE). Do the oral traditions go back earlier? Of course. The Song of Miriam easily dates back prior to 1000 BCE.

You know, I didn't see that site you've cited; I took a quick look and I realized that it was from an agnostic/atheist.

When you look at those scriptures, they do seemed to contradict each other but i believe that So-called Bible Contradictions, are not really contradictions at all but verses either misunderstood, used as a straw-man, or simply been taken out of their context.

I'll be looking at them one by one, and explain each one here to you.

Just like anti mormon stuff on mormons...

I got these contradictions from SortOfMormon who posted “The Bible is so confusing!” under “The Christian Belief Board." The Errors really bothered him so I looked into each one and found that A LOT have been taken seemingly without ANY regard for the Context, a few seemed deliberate. Only a few required explanation but again, the Context answered the problem completely.

After posting my second Statement abut the Bible, I thought I should demonstrate that such, So-Called Contradictions can be Answered just by looking at the Context. That means, ALL Contradictions can be Solved using the same easy method. Many required bible knowledge, but that's why reading the Bible is so important.

The following Contradictions are from this website:

Crazy stuff from the bible

1st Contradiction: God's Mercy

"For I am merciful, saith the Lord, and I will not keep anger forever." (Jeremiah 3:12)

Context

12 Go and proclaim these words toward the north, and say, Return, thou backsliding Israel, saith the LORD; and I will not cause mine anger to fall upon you: for I am merciful, saith the LORD, and I will not keep anger for ever.

- God speaking to the Exiled Jews

"Ye have kindled a fire in mine anger, which shall burn forever." (Jeremiah 17:4)

Context

4 And thou, even thyself, shalt discontinue from thine heritage that I gave thee; and I will cause thee to serve thine enemies in the land which thou knowest not: for ye have kindled a fire in mine anger, which shall burn for ever.

5 Thus saith the LORD; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeth from the LORD.

- God speaking to the Jews that have sinned by Trusting in Man than Trusting in God

When God forces the Jews into Exile, He is sending them to a life sentence where they will be persecuted, hated, maligned, and even killed. This is the punishment He warned them about in Deuteronomy 28-29 (See 28:15... 36-37; 29:25-26)

2nd Contradiction: Christ's Testimony

"If I testify about myself, my testimony is not valid." (John 5:31)

Context

30 I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.

*31 If I bear witness of myself, my witness is not true.

32 There is another that beareth witness of me; and I know that the witness which he witnesseth of me is true.

33 Ye sent unto John, and he bare witness unto the truth.

34 But I receive not testimony from man: but these things I say, that ye might be saved.

- His Witness is not true here IF he acted on his own independent from the Father. In this case, His witness is True BECAUSE He is in the will of His Father

"Jesus answered: Even if I testify on my own behalf, my testimony is valid." (John 8:14)

Context

13 The Pharisees therefore said unto him, Thou bearest record of thyself; thy record is not true.

*14 Jesus answered and said unto them, Though I bear record of myself, yet my record is true: for I know whence I came, and whither I go; but ye cannot tell whence I come, and whither I go.

15 Ye judge after the flesh; I judge no man.

16 And yet if I judge, my judgment is true: for I am not alone, but I and the Father that sent me.

- His witness is true because He knows Himself and the Father Knows Him

3rd Contradiction: Christ's Power of all things

"And Jesus coming, spoke to them, saying: All power is given to me in heaven and in earth." (Matthew 28:18)

Context

18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

- this is in the Context of SAVING Mankind, and Not Owning. Recall Matthew 4, Satan tempted Jesus saiy, I will give you all the Kingdoms of the Earth if you bow down and worship me,

"the whole world is under control of the evil one." (1 John 5:19)

Context

- I'm not sure what Bible version he/she is using but that's not what the KJV says. Nevertheless, Satan is, the god of this world, ruling or influencing the hearts of man to error and heresies (2 Corinthians 4:3-4; 11:13-15, Ephesians 2:2-3)

4th Contradiction: Christ's Judgment

And Jesus said, "For judgement I am come into this world." (John 9:39)

Context

39 And Jesus said, For judgment I am come into this world, that they which see not might see; and that they which see might be made blind.

40 And some of the Pharisees which were with him heard these words, and said unto him, Are we blind also?

41 Jesus said unto them, If ye were blind, ye should have no sin: but now ye say, We see; therefore your sin remaineth.

- The judgment spoken here is not of saving and condemning but to Reveal and Hide which is why Jesus spoke in Parables (Matthew 13:10-15)

"I came not to judge the world" (John 12:47)

Context

47 And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.

- God Judges Unbeliever here, which agrees with John 3:17-19

5th Contradiction: Showing Works

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven." (Matthew 5:16)

Context

14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.

15 Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.

*16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

- That is talking about personal testimony to the World, not showing off works.

"Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven." (Matthew 6:1)

- That is talking about doing righteous deeds

6th Contradiction: God seen or unseen?

"Jacob said, 'I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved.'" (Genesis 32:30)

Context

24 And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a MAN with him until the breaking of the day.

*30 And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel: for I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved

- This is not the last time God diguised Himself; in chapter 18:1-3, the Triune God revealed himself as three men.

"No man hath seen God at any time." (John 1:18)

- God is seen by man but his face, or Glory, is VEILED

18 And he said, I beseech thee, shew me thy glory.

19 And he said, I will make all my goodness pass before thee, and I will proclaim the name of the LORD before thee; and will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will shew mercy on whom I will shew mercy.

20 And he said, Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live. - Exodus 34:18-20

7th Contradiction: Fear or Love God?

We should fear God (Matthew 10:28)

- Judgment; nothing to do with Christian living in fear

We should love God (Matthew 22:37)

- Has to do with Christian living

There is no fear in love (1 John 4:18)

Context

16 And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.

17 Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world.

*18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

19 We love him, because he first loved us.

- No fear because the believers are SAVED. They will NOT face Judgment

24 Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy, - Jude 1:24

The best Apologetics site that deals with every major contradiction is at the Christian Apologetics Research Ministry; and Evangelical/Protestant site that answers and deals with major Heresies and Evolution Here is that page that specifically deals with such problematic verses:

A bit of warning though... the site also deals with Mormonism

Bible Difficulties | Christian Apologetics & Research Ministry

Edited by Galatians220

"Blessed are the merciful" [Matthew 5:7]

"Leave alive nothing that breathes. Show them no mercy." [Deut. 7:2]

"The Lord hardened their hearts... that they might receive no mercy." [Joshua 11:20]

"I will dash them one against another, even the fathers and the sons together, saith the Lord: I will not pity, nor spare, nor have mercy, but destroy them. A curse on him who is lax in doing the Lord's work! A curse on him who keeps his sword from bloodshed." [Jer. 13:14; 48:10]

Seems like Jesus brought a better answer for our new covenant.

Seems like Jesus brought a better answer for our new covenant.

Hi Moksha,

Each of those verses has to do with the Lord's Judgment of the people's wickedness. the Last one has to do with the blessings and the cursings the people Israel sware unto prior to their entry into the Land of Canaan, and the first and second is about the Wickedness of the Canaanites themselves:

5 Not for thy righteousness, or for the uprightness of thine heart, dost thou go to possess their land: but for the wickedness of these nations the LORD thy God doth drive them out from before thee, and that he may perform the word which the LORD sware unto thy fathers, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. - Deuteronomy 9:5

God hardens their hearts to their destruction but not all He hardens, nor destroyed. Remember Rahab? She was a Canaanite, but has allowed the two Hebrew Spies to hide and then mislead their persecutors the other way. There was also a people of Gideon in Joshua 9 whom Joshua spared because they did not resist the Hebrews. The new of the Hebrew destruction of their previous enemies was enough to make them make a pact with Israel.

15 And Joshua made peace with them, and made a league with them, to let them live: and the princes of the congregation sware unto them. - Joshua 9:15

However, not only because of the wickedness of the Canaanites that must be wiped out but their influence that it might not be a snare unto them and unfortunately, some have been spared and so, it will have a tragic result later on:

16 And thou shalt consume all the people which the LORD thy God shall deliver thee; thine eye shall have no pity upon them: neither shalt thou serve their gods; for that will be a snare unto thee. - Deuteronomy 7:16

The site LIES about Mormons and is frequented by a bunch of pit vipers that call themselves Christians. Do yourself a favor and steer clear of that slimy site.

No, don't do that.... they may talk about Mormonism and it may be full of lies, but not all their writings are. the site authors has really done a good job in answering so many of the major errors, difficulties, and contradictions going book by book that the site cannot be dismissed as a whole.

Of all the Apologetic sites I've found, this one is the best I've seen. I know how you feel about these people because i was a Catholic growing up; but do not dismiss this site outright.

Galatians,

While I agree with many of your interpretations, they are still interpretations. You must create a context within which it all fits.

There are key verses and events that do not fit.

Hebrews 6:1 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God

I suggest we do not leave the principles of the doctrine of Christ in order to go on to perfection, but that we follow the principle to perfection. Otherwise, Mathew 5:48 is meaningless, since we could not become perfect in Christ's doctrine.

Also, the 10 Commandments teach, Thou Shalt Not Kill, but then Moses and Joshua are commanded to annihilate cities, killing all the women and children. Once again, unless a context is established, it seems that God is feckless.