Big big big big big news

Guest missingsomething

Guest missingsomething

I have to start by giving you my "history- my point of reference, so to speak..."

So my 4.5 year old threw a 2 month tantrum when I made her give up her binkies at night. Even though we did an elaborate "give the binkies to the binky fairy who needs them for the new babies and get a new toy to sleep with" deal... IT WAS TORTURE - Literally she screamed herself to sleep after 2 hrs each night. And she refused to potty train until she was 3. I talked to the doc thinking I was a terrible mom.... he assured me she was just a strong willed child. (boy..I knew that he had that part right but still wondered if somehow my parenting lacked.)

SOOOO ... whats the big news?

well>... MY 2 YEAR OLD JUST BROKE HERSELF OF THE BINKY AT NIGHT (we gave up daytime binkies at 1 yr) !!!!!! She calls them a me-me. My mother in law told her the meme fairy story and she went into her bed, got the memes, gave them to her and told her to give them to the babies. Later that night she had second thoughts but we have not looked back.... She is now 2 nights/naps without them (and only minor crying...and her nap today- no crying!!!). WHOOOO HOOOOOOO.

AND THEN TODAY SHE PEE'D ON THE POTTY!!! She's been doing it after naps and in the morning but I said to her today... Wanna go potty? She said ... Um, yeah sure... and then DID IT!

YEAHHHHHH.... :)

Ok so I am such a mother... but I seriously needed to tell someone!

Edited by missingsomething

Congrats!!! And I don't think you are a bad mother....different children are different...as you are finding out with the differences between your 2yr-old and your 4.5-yr old. I don't have children of my own, but I can only imagine. And there's nothing wrong with being overjoyed with the little things (or the big things ;)). You go missingsomething! ...btw what are you missing?

Ah, I remember those days. Not very fondly. My first kid basically would scream for 2 hours to go to bed, or just scream for 45 minutes if I held her. So I held her. For over a year, every night. The 45 minute scream-fest slowly went down to 30, to 15, to 5. My routine: when she'd stop screaming, I'd start counting to 120, and I'd start over every time she'd move or make a noise. If I could make it to 120 with her not moving, she'd stay asleep when I put her in bed. Otherwise, she'd wake right back up and we'd reset the scream clock.

That was years ago. These days, she just hops into bed, gets her tuck-in and kisses, and sleeps (or stays in bed) for 9-10 hours. Dang that's nice.

LM

My first child, a boy, pretty much potty trained himself in about 3 days when he was 21 months old. I kept thinking, 'what's the big deal about potty training?'

Then I had twins. One of them finally potty trained with a lot of encouragement at age 3 1/2 and the other one was 6 by the time it was over. Granted, the one who was 6 has Down Syndrome but I think it was a lesson I needed to learn so I wouldn't feel so darned smug every time the topic of potty training came up.

Congrats missingsomething!!! It's all good.

I have to start by giving you my "history- my point of reference, so to speak..."

So my 4.5 year old threw a 2 month tantrum when I made her give up her binkies at night. Even though we did an elaborate "give the binkies to the binky fairy who needs them for the new babies and get a new toy to sleep with" deal... IT WAS TORTURE - Literally she screamed herself to sleep after 2 hrs each night. And she refused to potty train until she was 3. I talked to the doc thinking I was a terrible mom.... he assured me she was just a strong willed child. (boy..I knew that he had that part right but still wondered if somehow my parenting lacked.)

SOOOO ... whats the big news?

well>... MY 2 YEAR OLD JUST BROKE HERSELF OF THE BINKY AT NIGHT (we gave up daytime binkies at 1 yr) !!!!!! She calls them a me-me. My mother in law told her the meme fairy story and she went into her bed, got the memes, gave them to her and told her to give them to the babies. Later that night she had second thoughts but we have not looked back.... She is now 2 nights/naps without them (and only minor crying...and her nap today- no crying!!!). WHOOOO HOOOOOOO.

AND THEN TODAY SHE PEE'D ON THE POTTY!!! She's been doing it after naps and in the morning but I said to her today... Wanna go potty? She said ... Um, yeah sure... and then DID IT!

YEAHHHHHH.... :)

Ok so I am such a mother... but I seriously needed to tell someone!

My acceptance as a father was when our last child left the nest and went self sufficient in all things.:)

missingsomething, I can relate. Both my kids had their binkies (here in Canada we call them soothers) for too long. Kids just don't realize that their parents are making the oh-so-right choice for them. They suffer for a short time (but excruciating for the parents) ;). If I had to do it all over again, I would find a way to have my kids give them up by 2 years old. Congratulations to both you and your daughter.

Guest missingsomething

That was years ago. These days, she just hops into bed, gets her tuck-in and kisses, and sleeps (or stays in bed) for 9-10 hours. Dang that's nice.

LM

wow that happens? I mean... really ... you arent just dangling a carrot infront of my face?:cool:

Guest missingsomething

OK So we went to Chuck E Cheese (for me the ultimate sacrifice) to celebrate the voluntary pee and the voluntary give up the meme (binky).... 130 tokens later... Iwas exhausted and OF COURSE they picked out little blow up hammers... (really chucky.. I mean, really--- I felt like hammering the stupid mouse for even THINKING to carry something so stupid... a weapon for toddlers to beat each other up with...)

So.. then off to walmart to pick the "you earned it" toy with the money from the MeMe fairy.

Four year old throws tantrum. Its not fair she doesnt get a toy because she didnt have a me me to give up...

fast forward...

Four year old says... if I go to bed alone (because yes I STILL have to sit with this child loudmouth for at least 15 min a night until she is zzzing) then can she get a party at Chuck E Cheese and a new toy? Hmmmm... my thought... She'lll NEVER do it... So, hating Chucky like I do... I say... hahah.. SURE Em... SURE.. you go to bed ALONE for three nights and you can get all of it.

THe little SNOT DID IT! Climbed into bed and went right to sleep. Ok so she cried once, she needed a night light, teddy, and her blanky fixed.

Ok so is this HF making up for the truly meany week I have had? Im almost afraid this is a dream.... both my girls went to sleep by themselves... I stood in the hall for 25 min waiting for wailing... which never happened. could this awful stage of my life be ending? huh huh huh?

WHOOO HOOOO

and yes... WIng... I should have blogged this! DERR?!?!?

Edited by missingsomething

I remember when my daughter slept through the night all by herself the first time, about 2 am I woke up in a cold sweat absolutely certain something horrible happened to her...she was sound asleep and I couldn't sleep for the rest of the night ><

Congrats on finding the right motivation for your 4 yr old! I am a firm believer in appropriate bribery :P

• 2 weeks later...