I have just been called as the YSA Leader for our ward and I am looking for ideas and feedback on what might be fun or helpful coming from a YSA Leader on the ward level.

I know how busy everyone is who is and I am thinking of using email as a way of communication with the group. I will give information of upcoming events and have considered YSA parties on a quarterly basis.

What do you think?

• 5 months later...

As I mentioned in earlier I am the YSA Leader in our ward. I still looking for ideas to do on a ward level. I live in Utah and there are plenty of single wards around but many prefer the family ward. In our ward we have about 30 people who are in the YSA group. This weekend, I got a call from our Stake Adviser and he suggested doing a Sunday School class for the YSA in our ward. He also suggested doing an activity on Monday Night's for FHE.

I need ideas and will ask for ideas at a social I will be hosting next week but thought I might also ask here to see what you guys think of those suggestions.

man, if you were the YSA leader here, i'd totally go to all the activities.

I like the idea of an FHE thing. I believe back when i was still involved in that sort of stuff, the family ward i belonged to had it just once a month, as peoples schedules and lives are busy and whatnot.

hmm that's my 2 cents for now. :)

the married couple called to support the ysa's when i was in the program were great. all they really did was open their house up to us for monday fhe, literally sometimes we'd show up for fhe and there would be note on the door, "go on in and get started we'll be about 30 min late". provided the goodies for us after fhe (i think she just liked doing that, the ysa rotated the lesson each week). and they had a big van so when a conference would come up that a lot of us wanted to go to (we'd have to drive hours to conferences sometimes) they would drive us. they would get their own hotel room and have a weekend together and drive us home. i was stake ysa rep for awhile and had to be in charge of planning a conference, they were a lot of support then. they came to the conference and all the dances and such and kept the refreshment tables loaded so we could enjoy the dance we planned (and yes they made us plan it) instead of doing that work.

oh and they never crossed the lines of their authority. if someone came to them to complain or compliment about something they always said, "you need to talk to.... they are responsible for this event, we are just here to help where we can." never felt like they were mom and dad.... but defiantly a support. i think in a lot of ways it was a good thing, we'd get to talking about silly stuff and we could turn to them and ask questions we wouldn't necessarily ask anywhere else.

not sure that was helpful at all lol but good to see you around sf, seems like it's been awhile.

man, if you were the YSA leader here, i'd totally go to all the activities.

I like the idea of an FHE thing. I believe back when i was still involved in that sort of stuff, the family ward i belonged to had it just once a month, as peoples schedules and lives are busy and whatnot.

hmm that's my 2 cents for now. :)

Thanks Sweetie!

I think I might consider the once a month thing and make it really cool. :D

the married couple called to support the ysa's when i was in the program were great. all they really did was open their house up to us for monday fhe, literally sometimes we'd show up for fhe and there would be note on the door, "go on in and get started we'll be about 30 min late". provided the goodies for us after fhe (i think she just liked doing that, the ysa rotated the lesson each week). and they had a big van so when a conference would come up that a lot of us wanted to go to (we'd have to drive hours to conferences sometimes) they would drive us. they would get their own hotel room and have a weekend together and drive us home. i was stake ysa rep for awhile and had to be in charge of planning a conference, they were a lot of support then. they came to the conference and all the dances and such and kept the refreshment tables loaded so we could enjoy the dance we planned (and yes they made us plan it) instead of doing that work.

oh and they never crossed the lines of their authority. if someone came to them to complain or compliment about something they always said, "you need to talk to.... they are responsible for this event, we are just here to help where we can." never felt like they were mom and dad.... but defiantly a support. i think in a lot of ways it was a good thing, we'd get to talking about silly stuff and we could turn to them and ask questions we wouldn't necessarily ask anywhere else.

not sure that was helpful at all lol but good to see you around sf, seems like it's been awhile.

Gwen, Thank you so MUCH!

I think I will be taking on that phrase... "I have been called to support the YSA." Wow, that sure does feel better, especially knowing my personality!!! :lol: I like to be one to get in and PLAY too.

• 3 weeks later...

First activity under my belt.:)

We held a FHE in our home on Monday and it went well. I think we will do this on a monthly basis and try to do more fellowshipping. We will keep the topics on the lighter side bc there are many who might come if they didn't feel like we are force feeding them.

We got email addys and cell numbers for texting.:)

I have just been called as the YSA Leader for our ward and I am looking for ideas and feedback on what might be fun or helpful coming from a YSA Leader on the ward level.

I know how busy everyone is who is and I am thinking of using email as a way of communication with the group. I will give information of upcoming events and have considered YSA parties on a quarterly basis.

What do you think?

These days for the youth, it is texting. This is why the church has authorized GA's to be on several types of texting forums.