Funny, but depressing

beefche

There is an upcoming SA conference in Chicago. I just got a message today which says:

"Registration is going better than we had hoped, and we are so excited! In order to keep a desirable male to female ratio at the Conference events, starting THURSDAY AUGUST 6, we will be putting a temporary HOLD on FEMALE REGISTRATION. We will lift the hold as soon as we can (depends on you guys!), and in the interim, there will be a waiting list for women."

Made me laugh, but oh my how depressing. Hasn't there been people saying that the ratio of male to female single adults in the LDS church is about even? Are the men hiding in the wood pile?

Beefche....i got the same memo for "mid" singles... and im not hiding in the woodpile...im stuck at work most days...just happen to be in Nauvoo this weekend

Well, I tried to get you out of the wood pile, but you turned me down flat.

Isn't the ratio of men to women in the Church higher on the women side, especially at SA age?

That would seem to be good reason for women to do the asking out business for a change.

Lol. I've heard that too, though have no figures to back it up. A general glance around my ward also supports that notion though. The relief society, while lacking in numbers itself, is considerably larger than the priesthood session is.

Isn't the ratio of men to women in the Church higher on the women side, especially at SA age?

That would seem to be good reason for women to do the asking out business for a change.

I suspect (nothing to back it up) that the numbers are a little closer--it's just a lot of the SA men are inactive (at least more so than SA women in my experience).

I suspect (nothing to back it up) that the numbers are a little closer--it's just a lot of the SA men are inactive (at least more so than SA women in my experience).

The only valid source I could find regarding the gender gap in mormonism is an unofficial one, by means of a survey of 35,000 Americans. I don't think the church releases information like gender in its public statistics. Anyway, the survey I found was here. That suggests from the limited data they have that about 56% of American mormons are female.

What an interesting study. I didn't go thru the whole thing, so I didn't see the part to which you are referring. Did it say single women? Or just 56% are women?

Just 56% are women. I wish I could access the churches official membership database. I may have to ask some people I know who work for church offices in the MLS department. I'm sure they are aware of the general statistics.

Edited by Mahone

Guest SmarterBlue

Speaking from experience, regrettably (and reluctantly) I think there is a point where SA men just throw in the towel. I often can't find to the time to go to SA events, and sometimes when I'm able to go I'll invent work.

just my .02 c.

I think this is sadder. Our area had a large single adult gathering this past weekend and they actually had to put on the flyers, "All divorces must be final."

You would think that would be common sense for LDS people, but apparently not. My single friend said that she sees a lot of guys on LDS singles sites who aren't quite divorced, but admit to checking out what's out there.

I think this is sadder. Our area had a large single adult gathering this past weekend and they actually had to put on the flyers, "All divorces must be final."

You would think that would be common sense for LDS people, but apparently not. My single friend said that she sees a lot of guys on LDS singles sites who aren't quite divorced, but admit to checking out what's out there.

i have a freind who met her new hubby before her divorce was final...but a few months after she kicked his cheatin butt to the curb

are you sure that wasn't said in jest? It's a common thing to print on sa advertisments around here and is meant as a joke - the joke being that it is obvious.

are you sure that wasn't said in jest? It's a common thing to print on sa advertisments around here and is meant as a joke - the joke being that it is obvious.

No, it's not said in jest. This is generally on anything for YSA or SA. I get an email each week with SA activities and at the end it says this. Unfortunately, there are many people who don't realize that because you are separated or filing for divorce means you are still married.