A quick couple of questions..

mesmith

Hi!!! People seem to have split opinions on playing games with dice/cards as far as I know due to the gambling aspect. I say there is no harm done playing card games (I love solitaire) and using a dice in a game as long as long as it is only a game and you are not playing for money.

Second well I say thats totally personal choice! You root for who you think are the better team. Though I think its important to bear in mind for all the worldy things we believe in we first and formost believe in God and his kingdom ^-^

Like Kitty said, its really a matter of gambling then it is about the kind of cards you are playing. (if its for money). Gambling is the no Go. Playing 52 card pickup is fine. (as long as there is no money).

There is a form each week that you have to fill out to show that you know the score of the BYU game. If you don't know the score then you sit in a room and wach the most recent game. Unless BYU lost then they don't worry about. :-0

Well, you may get a public flogging if you can't root for the Cougs! :)

Look. The principle LDS people live by is to be honest in their dealings and that means we don't promote gambling in any of its forms. But my family plays a load of cards and I know lots of people who play various games and still keep the principle in the lives. We don't however play games that involve money at all, but we don't stop enjoying activities that bring our relationships closer.

You gotta listen to the Spirit....just like the rest of us.....and make the decisions that you feel are the best ways to worship and live your life. Remember that the spirit of the law is often more important than the letter. Not that this dismisses the need for the letter....

Misshalfway and the others explained it rather well!

Our family loves cards and dice. Our favorite games: Uno, Rummy, Yahtzee, the new Monopoly card game, and Boggle. Though none of these are hard-core gambling games. LOL I don't think people sit around betting on Boggle. :lol::lol:

Technically, don't most games involve dice as a means to move pieces across the board? ;)

We don't gamble though. Our biggest concern in playing games is teaching our kids to win nicely, and to lose sweetly. My son gets pretty upset when he loses at Uno (he is only 6). The funny thing is, he beat me 12 times in a row the other night, but got mad when I finally won. SHEESH

Edited by Tough Grits
TYPO TYPO TYPO TYPO TYPO TYPO

Also, how much trouble will I be in when I root for the WVU Mountaineers over BYU?

Actually there was a decree put out in 1987 I believe that states that is now considered to be an excommunicable offense.

j/k of course

Don't you have to speak Hillbilly to root for WVU? BYU bestows honorary degrees on those who show they can fluently speak a foreign language that is not offered on their current class schedule. While Hillbilly is technically a dialect of American English, I'll bet you could petition and win in arbitration.

Thanks for your input! I learned to play euchre while I was at IU for 2 years. Unfortunately, that was a bad time in my life and it seems euchre is about the only thing I did learn while there in Bloomington.

FYI - those of us from WV are mountaineers, hillbillies are from a Los Angeles suburb!

FYI - those of us from WV are mountaineers, hillbillies are from a Los Angeles suburb!

Oh and I bet they made their fortune while out shooting at some food?

Also, how much trouble will I be in when I root for the WVU Mountaineers over BYU?

(First question is serious, second not so much.)

It's difficult to divide your loyalties. I was born and raised in Indiana and bleed IU red. I graduated from BYU and love BYU blue. Thankfully, they are in different divisions, so when I'm watching basketball, I can cheer the Hoosiers to my heart's content and not worry about BYU. When BYU plays football, I can cheer them on and not worry about IU. It helps that IU is a more of a basketball school and BYU is football. :D

When I convert to LDS do I have to stop playing canasta, euchre, and pinochle?

I honestly don't understand why people don't play with face cards. I know there was something in Mormon Doctrine about the Satanic symbols that is supposedly on face cards and that face cards are used in gambling.

But, Mormon Doctrine is not doctrine (despite the title) and I have had a fantastic time fellowshipping over euchre tournaments and generally having fun. For people inclined to gamble, I'm betting (:D) that they will gamble while playing Old Maid, if given the chance.

As with anything else we discuss, YMMV. If you are inclined to be tempted to gamble and playing any particular game tempts you beyond your ability to resist, then stop playing that.

my husband and stepson came back from an all lds scout camp one yr and had learned to play some dice game from a member of the stake pres. it takes like 50 dice so then they wanted to go out and buy a bunch of dice. :rolleyes: they get annoyed that i won't play with them. involves to much counting for me. lol there are several card games i do enjoy though.

I honestly don't understand why people don't play with face cards. I know there was something in Mormon Doctrine about the Satanic symbols that is supposedly on face cards and that face cards are used in gambling.

But, Mormon Doctrine is not doctrine (despite the title) and I have had a fantastic time fellowshipping over euchre tournaments and generally having fun. For people inclined to gamble, I'm betting (:D) that they will gamble while playing Old Maid, if given the chance.

As with anything else we discuss, YMMV. If you are inclined to be tempted to gamble and playing any particular game tempts you beyond your ability to resist, then stop playing that.

THis reminds me of people who can't celebrate Halloween or read fantasy books. These are dictates that come from inside of certain personality types....not the dictates of the church.

I never had a problem with any of these things. I don't worry about exposing my kids to stuff like Harry Potter. But you know....some people feel strongly about not using face cards. I can respect that if that works for them. It just makes me question if they are really living according to principle or practice. I find myself happier when I live according to principle as shame has a harder time taking root.

THis reminds me of people who can't celebrate Halloween or read fantasy books. These are dictates that come from inside of certain personality types....not the dictates of the church.

I never had a problem with any of these things. I don't worry about exposing my kids to stuff like Harry Potter. But you know....some people feel strongly about not using face cards. I can respect that if that works for them. It just makes me question if they are really living according to principle or practice. I find myself happier when I live according to principle as shame has a harder time taking root.

Yeah, I have a friend (non-LDS) who thinks Halloween is evil and anything that mentions witches or spells or whatever. I respect that and don't ask her to go see HP with me. I don't agree with it, but that's quite ok, because she doesn't agree with me NOT having a problem with it. So, we just tease each other--she calls me a heathen and I tell her to go read her scriptures when she does. :D

Okay I'm such a dork. I posted this originally in the wrong thread. That's what I get for having two windows open.

I supposed when I play the game of "war" with my teenagers it could be misconstrued as a bit of violence. Phrases like "you are so going down" and "give me all your cards NOW" do have a touch of violence there. Or perhaps it's the mwahahaha at the end of a winning war.

Perhaps if we changed the wording to "Oh honey..I so hope that you don't lose for I fear greatly for your demise" and to "please may I have your cards? If you don't mind of course."

Back in the day the counsel was about not playing games of 'chance', which is basically having a winner or loser based mainly on luck. I can see how some personality types can get hooked on gambling on such things to the point where an addiction or stupid bet is made and they lose everything to it.

This article, LDS.org - New Era Article - Q&A: Questions and Answers, talks about playing cards (though it should be pointed out the article itself is not doctrine). Though it isn't talking about something intrinsically evil about face cards (as I read it) but a tendency to use them to not just play but to gamble with, even mentioning that tendency is absent in say a Rook deck. Interestingly enough it also mentions that playing 'poker' with said Rook deck doesn't tend towards such. I wonder if Elder Widtsoe was making a comment on psychology (face cards are associated with gambling, so the connection is there in a subconscious even if you aren't exchanging money) or something else.

Personally I'm removed enough from gambling that playing war or what have you with a deck of face cards doesn't give me an itch to start spending money. Though I suppose if one was predisposed towards problems with gambling I could see how one would want to avoid having a deck in the house, I wonder if that is what some of the advice is about. Though it it was really that much of an issue you'd probably want to skip the Rook deck, though you'd probably be fine with Uno. If one was really worried about this kinda stuff it looks like playing those cards with a Rook deck (or any other deck which would work) has an official nod of sorts.

P.S. My family's personal weakness cardwise is playing Shanghai (similar to Phase 10 and uses a Rook deck, thus the references in my post).

Edited by Dravin

When I convert to LDS do I have to stop playing canasta, euchre, and pinochle?

You do not have to stop playing cards, unless you want to. We are discouraged from gambling, and encouraged to spend time learning and developing skills. So, if you are playing games nonstop, perhaps moderating it would be advisable.

As for who to root for, I always root for Air Force against BYU, and still have my temple recommend.