Why Doesn’t God Answer Prayers?

Snow

I think you greatly overestimate how much Snow cares about what you think. Truth be told, I don’t think Snow cares in the least bit about what anyone thinks other than himself. But Snow also likes to pursue a pretty high level of complexity in thought, and he’s quite aware that he can’t see all of the complexities on his own. These little exercises are how Snow works out things in his head (admittedly, he finds a great deal of entertainment in doing so).

Although I don’t always agree with his methods, and I think at times he is just downright rude, Snow is probably one of the most thoughtful and curious people on the board. A lot of people would do well to learn a few things from him.

That being said, Snow, stop picking on my wives. ;)

You CLAIM that they are your wives.

I think you are pretty close. I do a lot of thinking out loud hoping for valuable input from other. It saves wasted time going to far down a dead end.

Yesterday my home teacher came over. The lesson of the week was on prayer. I asked him why God doesn't answer prayers... (the same questions on my prayer thread). He didn't have the answers but he didn't get preachy and offered up his own personal experience / testimony. That was nice. Even my kids started arguing (nicely) with me about it.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On one incident she was booked on a flight to meet with local leaders about how to best distributive aid to the populace. On the day of the flight and in normal daily prayer she felt not to go on that flight and obeyed the feeling.

That aeroplane crashed on it's flight over Bosnia with a total loss of life. There was just one empty seat due to the lateness of the cancelation.

Did God only warn one person or did only one person listen and act?

What about the starving children mentioned earlier? Did they just "not listen" or what? Given your two choices.. I would say that God warned nobody -- and your friend got lucky.

Edited by bmy-

1. I don't have any power to offend anyone. I write words. People choose how they are going to react. They have all the power.

2. Humility has nothing to do with it. Humility has to do with being humble, not in following your wishes.

Why do you choose to be offended?

Gatorman

Snow you remind me of somebody who had a problem with members not wanting to explore questions and being sort of closed door to him.

Myself I enjoyed our conversations and missed him when he moved to the USA.

If I'm offended by what someone says then I have the bigger problem and the greater sin?

People are on different levels of understanding but this does not change the fundamental fact that God is God the almighty. He is able to command the intelligences and they obey. That He does not heal everybody despite their faith does not change that He could if it was a part of his plan.

It is not Him that has to fall in line with us but us to accept that what we don’t understand and fall in line with His will.

Quote:

Why does God never heal amputees?

Who says he doesn't. If He does, I imagine he heals them before the amputation though.

But then they wouldn't be an amputee would they?

Good answers all paryuers. his answers are: Yes.. and it ahppens. No and it dont happen, or not yet and it happens later.

About the starving kids. You may pray as much you want to but NOT untill all people humble themselves and really SHARE what they have, things like that will be history! Ofcourse God may soften peoples hearts... but then... maybe the bad people`s quote of badness wont be filled. Like Krazy Kay says we dont know Gods will.

Anyway ANY person that sufferes is a mark of our failure to be good.

What about the starving children mentioned earlier? Did they just "not listen" or what? Given your two choices.. I would say that God warned nobody -- and your friend got lucky.

Why are we here on Earth, BMY?

If God were to intervene in everything we think he should where would the trial be?

Do people have only life here on Earth or is life eternal?

If the latter then aren’t those that suffer in this life not lost to Him the created them?

My friend I mentioned took up the challenge to feed some those hungry children and has dedicated all her life since to this pursuit not just in Bosnia but also in Africa and other parts of the world. She can never win the war because it is so much bigger than a hand full of people but some battles can be won and those that are bring untold relief too many.

Nothing pleases God more than to seeing his children helping each other out and we don’t have to go to the extent of my friend to do so. Because just like the windows mite anything given in sincerity is accepted.

Why are we here on Earth, BMY?

If God were to intervene in everything we think he should where would the trial be?

Do people have only life here on Earth or is life eternal?

If the latter then aren’t those that suffer in this life not lost to Him the created them?

My friend I mentioned took up the challenge to feed some those hungry children and has dedicated all her life since to this pursuit not just in Bosnia but also in Africa and other parts of the world. She can never win the war because it is so much bigger than a hand full of people but some battles can be won and those that are bring untold relief too many.

Nothing pleases God more than to seeing his children helping each other out and we don’t have to go to the extent of my friend to do so. Because just like the windows mite anything given in sincerity is accepted.

To gain a body of flesh and blood.. to eventually become exalted. Life is eternal with or without God. It's okay for people to get raped because, well, life goes on. No, God doesn't "let" terrible things happen to people for a reason.. nor does he cause the good things that happen either. He cranked the engine and walked away as far as the overwhelming majority should be concerned. I feel it's dishonest to say that God is responsible for the good and not the bad.. so it's simpler to say he is responsible for neither.

God has fed people before.. Fish and bread -- why not for these starving children? What better way to bring people to Him then by performing miracles? That's my point.. and like Snow.. most of the time i'm simply thinking out loud in a public forum.

I'm glad your friend was working to help those poor children. It's an excellent thing.. and it pains me that people seem to care more about animal abuse than children starving. It drives me up the wall.

To gain a body of flesh and blood.. to eventually become exalted. Life is eternal with or without God. It's okay for people to get raped because, well, life goes on. No, God doesn't "let" terrible things happen to people for a reason.. nor does he cause the good things that happen either. He cranked the engine and walked away as far as the overwhelming majority should be concerned. I feel it's dishonest to say that God is responsible for the good and not the bad.. so it's simpler to say he is responsible for neither.

God has fed people before.. Fish and bread -- why not for these starving children? What better way to bring people to Him then by performing miracles? That's my point.. and like Snow.. most of the time i'm simply thinking out loud in a public forum.

I'm glad your friend was working to help those poor children. It's an excellent thing.. and it pains me that people seem to care more about animal abuse than children starving. It drives me up the wall.

The plan is we knew it would be tough but we wasn't just thrown down here and said get on with it.

You see things two dimensionally, life on Earth is pivotal because what is at stake is eternal progression.

No child is lost to God.

Jesus taught how to obtain eternal life; he also performed miracles and fed multitudes. In the end all people wanted was a free lunch, this is human nature.

Satan wanted to take away our choice and our ability to grow. Yes there would have been no starving children, or evil things happening but not one of us would be any closer to our Father in heaven than when we left his presence.

Next time you see someone in need go to their aid and after examine how you feel.

Jesus healed many, often in front of hundreds of people but he would ask those that he healed to tell no one but to praise God.

He did this because He did not want people believing in Him just because of the miracles.

Miracles did not make Jesus the Saviour He performed miracles because he was the Saviour.

If you only focus on the negative things in life you miss the joy that life brings through the good things that are done.

It easier to blame everybody for not doing what they should it is a lot harder to look at oneself and ask how do I change me.

When you pray to God do you ask why He allows all this to happen or do you ask His help to enable you to have the strength to do more.

My friend did that, she did not set out to change the world just asked for the strength to do more and ended up changing the worlds of so many.

I could go on forever so I'll stop there.

Edited by Kenny

But, the real question should ask, is it GOD's will should they be healed with repairing the whole arm?

People BELIEVE that God cures them or heart disease, cancer, gout, lameness, malaria, fractures on the third metacarpal bone in the proximal row - enumerated from the radial side etc. Why would God want to only those kinds of people to be healed but not want amputees to be healed.

Guest Believer_1829

I don't know what some people want, do they want to hear, "Because he is some hateful, mean, uncaring god, who delights in torturing us by making promises he won't keep".

Why do some people delight in tearing down the faith of others? Even if you don't agree, don't ridicule and try to destroy the faith of others...

If we will have great joy because we bring but one soul into the Kingdom of God, what great torture we will endure for destroying the faith of one of His lambs and ushering them out of God's Kingdom.

Some people here need to reconsider their actions and words.

I don't know what some people want, do they want to hear, "Because he is some hateful, mean, uncaring god, who delights in torturing us by making promises he won't keep".

Why do some people delight in tearing down the faith of others? Even if you don't agree, don't ridicule and try to destroy the faith of others...

If we will have great joy because we bring but one soul into the Kingdom of God, what great torture we will endure for destroying the faith of one of His lambs and ushering them out of God's Kingdom.

Some people here need to reconsider their actions and words.

Not to be rude or anything but you mentioned having used the ignore feature on another thread. Here all along I thought it was Snow that you put on ignore. I guess I was wrong. :P

Guest Believer_1829

Not to be rude or anything but you mentioned having used the ignore feature on another thread. Here all along I thought it was Snow that you put on ignore. I guess I was wrong. :P

Oh, he is. But I have been unfortunate enough to read several of his posts here and elsewhere prior to whisking him away to Never-Never Land, so I know the tenor of the conversation here.

But my posts was more a general observation, of various topics I have observed, it just happened to land here with the introductory paragraph having to do with this particular topic.

People BELIEVE that God cures them or heart disease, cancer, gout, lameness, malaria, fractures on the third metacarpal bone in the proximal row - enumerated from the radial side etc. Why would God want to only those kinds of people to be healed but not want amputees to be healed.

I fix computers for a living and have been doing so for 20 years 11 of those as a business. So you might call me a professional. I know a lot about computers and their problems but there is a greater percentage of my industry I do not know. Knowing where to look is a big help but even with experience it still takes a great deal of effort and study to find answers. There are of cause those who only think they are professionals and wing their way through in the computer world too.

Likewise with understanding God and his ways all I can be sure of is that there is more I don't know then there is that I do.

Asking armatures to answer divine questions might get you some sort of answer but is it the right one just because it sounds right or wrong?

You need to ask an expert. Fortunately we have all that the experts know in type or videos. Ultimately we can ask the master Himself. It does help though if you learn first how to listen.

I find it sad that when I read a lot of the posts here I read a lot of stuff that doesn't really address the original question. The majority seem to be in the line of thought of, "well of course God answers prayers, so the original question is irrelevant." The error in that line of thought is that God also doesn't answer some prayers. While that can sometimes be just as powerful a communication, it's still a question worth exploring. Why does God answer some prayers but not answer others?

As I've thought about it more, it occurs to me perhaps we have a twisted understanding of what prayer should be. I again fall back on the Bible Dictionary, and suggest that we remember that prayer isn't really about expressing our will to the Lord, but asking that the Lord help us align our will with His. Under this paradigm, it doesn't matter what we ask for; it only matters what we are prepared to accept.

It's also possible that we are praying for inappropriate things. Take, for instance, the example of praying that you get a job. Doesn't that prayer imply some kind of influence over another person's agency? Afterall, another person is going to have to decided if you get the job or someone else gets the job. In these situations, would we be more in line with God's will if we prayed to be able to think clearly and recall all of our skills and knowledge that would help us present as the best candidate. In other words, shouldn't we be praying over what we can do and not over what someone else can do for us?

Now let's complicate this more. Two people are interviewing for a job. Both are praying to get the job, but only one may actually get it. Now we're in a sticky spot because God actually has to choose whose prayer he will answer. But if both people are praying to get the job, they're asking the wrong question. If they are both praying to have the best interview of which they are capable of giving, then the Lord is now in a position to grant both of their prayers, let the decision about the job fall on the employer's agency, and adhere to the principles of the Plan of Happiness all at the same time.

Another aspect of this situation is that by the time the job interview comes around, the time for prayer may be past. Perhaps the time for prayer was during our schooling when we could be praying to develop the skills and knowledge that would one day allow us to get the job we seek. This requires foresight, planning, and not focusing just on the present. But that's what the whole concept of eternal perspective is about! If we wait until the job interview to start praying for the job, in some sense, we may have blown it already.

Also, there are an alarming number of posts on this thread that seem to be of the nature, "we don't know the answer so you must be challenging our faith." To you who think this I ask, why is it automatically a challenge to your faith not to know the answer? Nothing about this thread has challenged my faith. A lot about this thread has enhanced it.

Yes, we put our trust in the Lord. But putting out trust in the Lord does not prevent us from seeking to understand the Lord.

Guest TheLutheran

Mankind being carnal can never understand the mind of God if they did they would know that God does answer every prayer just not how those being carnal would expect.

I agree Kenny. I like your comments on the nature of our prayers too, MarginOfError.

We seem to be deaf when God answers a prayer with "No." When we "do" all the things we are supposed to -- attend church regularly, study The Word, pray, serve -- we feel entitled to blessings. Sometimes, in the midst of all my "faithfullness," I am woefully feeble in truly putting my trust in the Lord. :sunny:

Mankind being carnal can never understand the mind of God if they did they would know that God does answer every prayer just not how those being carnal would expect.

My, how clever of you to confound me by taking my words out of context. Whatever shall I do? Oh, I know! Let’s read a little bit more from what you quoted:

“…doesn't answer some prayers. While that can sometimes be just as powerful a communication…”

The point of that being that not answering can convey a message just as well as answering. Silence can be a powerful message when used wisely, and I imagine God knows that.

Care to try another refutation? (Hint: try to comprehend the entire post before picking out a few carefully parsed words for the purpose of perverting their original intent.)

Even those with Cancer and other oddities type diseases are not always healed. Even death escapes me since those assigned to me allow me to live another day but that is left to the will of GOD. ^_^

My, how clever of you to confound me by taking my words out of context. intent.)

The point I was trying to make is just because one does not get the answer they thought they would get does not mean God does not answer. You did say alot on this but after reading it all it came down to the point in question.

Let me sight you an example from Either.

The brother of Jared asked two questions:

1: How do we breathe?

2: How do we see?

Immediately the Lord gave him an answer to the first but asked the brother of Jared to go and work on the latter.

There is no other incident in the history of man at that time that he was required to build a vessel that would go through the water or underneath it like a submarine. So there was no knowledge of how they would breathe for brother of Jared to go and find out so the Lord told what to do.

This is how prayer works. Very few people have the faith that the brother of Jared had so it’s fair to say that we might just miss the Lord asking 'what would you have me do?'

So if there is silence we can surmise that the Lord has already answered our prayer and it is up to us to find the answer, normally in the scriptures.

Another simpler example of this is if you were to ask if you should pay tithing; this answer has already been given and does not need clarification.

However if a new leader is called you can ask God for conformation just like you can ask if the Book of Mormon is true.