The Trinity

Snow

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm reading a book titled God In Three Persons by E. Calvin Beisner. It's a book tracing the history of the concept, early church thinkers and the councils over time, the wording in them, and how the importance of words to best be consistent with what is listed in the Bible. I'm almost finished with the book. I really like it and recommend that you all read it.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say around the 3rd century?

No, the concept of the Trinity was known before Augustine.

The earliest reference i've seen that mentioned teaching of the Father and Christ being one individual was very early 3rd century. A.D 200 I believe. That's not trinitarian but it's getting there.

I think that is more what I was thinking. That's when it appears it first came out..now whether that is the time that it became doctrine I don't know. It was only a guess.

I'm pretty sure it was approved early on in the Pre-Existence. :D

Come on, now! Even if you don't agree, my post was cute, and deserved at least a chuckle. Nothing's more painful than being neglected! :(

As for the OP's question, I've read there were references to it in some of the early church father's writings that go back more than a century before the Nicean Council. I'd have to do some digging to find out which one though.

Edited by prisonchaplain

The earliest reference i've seen that mentioned teaching of the Father and Christ being one individual was very early 3rd century. A.D 200 I believe. That's not trinitarian but it's getting there.

Hi BMY,

Who said that and what came after that? The Father and the Son are not one individual. This is the kind of thing that needed clarification in this whole discussion about the Trinity concept and why the counsels were held.

Hippolytus

A man, therefore, even though he will it not, is compelled to acknowledge God the Father Almighty, and Christ Jesus the Son of God, who, being God, became man, to whom also the Father made all things subject, Himself excepted, and the Holy Spirit; and that these, therefore, are three. But if he desires to learn how it is shown still that there is one God, let him know that His power is one. As far as regards the power, therefore, God is one. But as far as regards the economy there is a threefold manifestation, as shall be proved afterwards when we give account of the true doctrine (Against the Heresy of One Noetus 8 [A.D. 200-210]).

Clement of Alexandria

And the address in the Timœus calls the creator, Father, speaking thus: ‘Ye gods of gods, of whom I am Father; and the Creator of your works.’ So that when he says, ‘Around the king of all, all things are, and because of Him are all things; and he [or that] is the cause of all good things; and around the second are the things second in order; and around the third, the third,’ I understand nothing else than the Holy Trinity to be meant; for the third is the Holy Spirit, and the Son is the second, by whom all things were made according to the will of the Father (The Stromata 5:14 [A.D. 202]).

Hi BMY,

Who said that and what came after that? The Father and the Son are not one individual. This is the kind of thing that needed clarification in this whole discussion about the Trinity concept and why the counsels were held.

I can't remember his name -- it was just a reference to man who was exiled from town for teaching that the Father and Christ were one individual. I know his name started with an 'S'.

bmy- said:

I can't remember his name -- it was just a reference to man who was exiled from town for teaching that the Father and Christ were one individual. I know his name started with an 'S'.

bmy-, you're probably thinking of Sabellius; where modalism comes from.

• 2 weeks later...

Was it during Constantine's ruling? I read that he was the one that made the suggestion of the trinity and people didn't want to challenge him because after all he was the Emperor.

Snow has asked a sincere question, and everyone keeps dancing around this, with guesses ranging from a pre-Council vague trinitarianism in the apostolic writings to the writings of early church fathers in the 2nd century, to the Nicean council. But, here especially, at a site favorable to restorationism, I figured a true and accurate date is required. So, here it is: The Trinity was affirmed as official doctrine during the General Council of the Assemblies of God, in 1916.

Almost immediately, leaders were faced with a doctrinal dispute – whether to abandon traditional Trinitarian theology in favor of a modal monarchian view of the godhead (also called the "New Issue" or Oneness theology). In 1916 the General Council approved a Statement of Fundamental Truths, which affirmed Trinitarian orthodoxy.

History of the Assemblies of God

This should resolve the issue. :-)

Hey..I wasn't dancing around bucko. I was going by things I had read at one point. I figured someone would correct me..so for that I'm grateful PC.

Now apologize on the dancing around comment. hahahahahaha