Share your recipes

Dravin

I had a mission companion come up with a Chili recipe that I quite enjoy. Somebody asked for it so I figured I'd just post it here for convenience.

Anyway, here it is:

Sweet & Spicy Chili

1 lb lean ground beef

1 Green Bell Pepper

1 Red Bell Pepper

¾ to 1 Large Onion

1 can Black beans, rinsed and drained

½ Cup Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ Sauce (You can of course substitute your preferred brand and flavor)

1 Fajita Seasoning Packet

1 can zesty diced tomatoes and green chilies (Rotel works)

1 6oz can Tomato Paste

1 tsp chili powder

1 tsp cumin

1 tsp minced garlic

2 chipotles in adobo sauce (buy a can, freeze the rest)

1 cup water

Brown beef in skillet with ½ fajita seasoning packet, drain. Sauté onions and bell peppers with remaining ½ packet of fajita seasoning. Combine ingredients in pot or slow cooker and simmer several hours (longer better, at least 1 hour) until perfect.

Edited by Dravin

Dutch ovens and slow cookers are wonderful things.

Me I'm too scared to make anything by feel or taste, I'm the guy who measures out the mix and the water for his pancakes and likes somebody to tell him the exact ratio of milk to eggs one is supposed to use for French toast and feels uncomfortable when told, "Just guess."

I mean I do experiment occasionally, but I'm easily flustered without a recipe to work with.

Dravin, you would do well with baking (cakes, bread, etc.). You need exact measurements with baking.

Now, cooking! I love to cook. I see a recipe and just get creative thinking of other things to add to it. I never make chili the same--never. Cause I just use what I have on hand. I have lots of spices and like to mix/match them to see if something different works. Sometimes it's good that I'm single--cause nasty tastes worse when you are serving it to someone.

I have a great non-alcoholic drink you can make. Simple and oh so tasty!

You can find this at any Target or Walmart in the drink aisle (ok, you gotta go to the area where they sell alcohol drink mixes). Get a bottle of Martini Mix--Green Apple. Take glass, add lots of ice, pour Sparkling Water in until about an inch from the top of your glass (and yes, you really should add the water first). Add a splash or 2 (depending on your taste) of the Green Apple stuff. Oh my gosh! That is so yummy! Make sure the Sparkling water and Apple Mix are cold before mixing--makes it taste better.

I'm sure you can do the same thing with any Martini mix--Mojito, there's a berry one (can't remember the name).

I'm making sweet pulled pork tomorrow with Pepsi. It's supposed to be Cafe Rio style, and the recipe calls for Coke, but my husband will drink the leftover Pepsi, so I switched.

Beefche, if you add Pepsi, make sure everything else balances out the thickness, because the soda will make it a little runnier.

I'm making sweet pulled pork tomorrow with Pepsi. It's supposed to be Cafe Rio style, and the recipe calls for Coke, but my husband will drink the leftover Pepsi, so I switched.

Beefche, if you add Pepsi, make sure everything else balances out the thickness, because the soda will make it a little runnier.

yes....you would be correct......I like my chilli thick anyway and I have to make sure it balances out.....others like theirs more runny.....when I buy Pepsi I have to make sure I don't drink it before using it in the chilli.....:D

• 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I have a delicious recipe for crepes (thin pancake). It creates the perfect mix for a thin, but not fatty crepe. I also serve scrambled eggs, bacon, and fried bananas with cinnamon with it.

120g flour (125g = 1cup)

2 eggs

60mL water

60mL milk

tbsp oil (this is to prevent sticking, still do it even if you use a non-stick pan)

pinch of salt

I've got to a point where I don't really measure how much liquid I put in, once you get used to the texture and thickness of the mixture, you'll be able to do that too.

The first crepe will generally be pretty stuffed up, most people I know agree with me. Make sure the pan is very hot before you start, then turn it down to a lower heat. :)

Enjoy!

• 6 months later...

The sweet and spicy chilly sounds delicious, I will try it because chili foods is one of my favorite. I also wanna try the non alcoholic drink recipe and also the crepe. I'm a person who really loves foods and cooking. :animatedthumbsup:

Edited by raquel

Recipe:

Go to an Asian Store and buy the Adobo Mix:

Posted Image

Get 2 lbs of boneless chicken (breast or thigh is good), cut up into big cubes.

Dissolve the powder mix onto 1 cup of water and use to marinade the chicken for 15 minutes.

Then pan fry the chicken in some oil until just browned.

Pour the extra marinade onto the chicken and cook until sauce thickens.

Super duper yummy.

• 4 weeks later...

Here is my ultimate favorite recipe...so easy to make & popular with just about everyone!

Hawaiian Haystacks

Chicken in sauce served over hot rice & topped with a variety of toppings.

Cook time: 30 Min - Difficulty: EASY - Prep time: 1 Hr - Serves: 6

Ingredients:

- 2 can(s) campbell's cream of chicken soup (don't substitute)

- 1 can(s) campbell's chicken broth (don't substitute)

- 3 c cooked chicken breasts, diced

- 4 c steamed rice

- various toppings (see below)

Directions:

1. Mix the soups together and bring to a simmer. Add chicken and simmer for 10 mins to heat the chicken thorougly.

2. Toppings: chowmein noodles, toasted coconut, pineapple tidbits, thinly sliced green onions, diced sweet bell pepper, thawed frozen sweet petite peas (do not cook them), water chestnuts, diced celery, toasted slivered almonds, grated cheese (optional)

3. To Serve: Ladle chicken and sauce over rice and top with any combination of the toppings. Caution, this makes a big serving so start out easy with the rice and chicken with sauce as this builds up when adding the toppings. This is a very popular recipe in Utah, not only with households, but restaurants as well. This is such an addictive dish and a big crowd pleaser. I double the recipe and it's still not enough to leave for leftovers.

Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Sachi001

Here is my ultimate favorite recipe...so easy to make & popular with just about everyone!

Hawaiian Haystacks

Chicken in sauce served over hot rice & topped with a variety of toppings.

Cook time: 30 Min - Difficulty: EASY - Prep time: 1 Hr - Serves: 6

Ingredients:

- 2 can(s) campbell's cream of chicken soup (don't substitute)

- 1 can(s) campbell's chicken broth (don't substitute)

- 3 c cooked chicken breasts, diced

- 4 c steamed rice

- various toppings (see below)

Directions:

1. Mix the soups together and bring to a simmer. Add chicken and simmer for 10 mins to heat the chicken thorougly.

2. Toppings: chowmein noodles, toasted coconut, pineapple tidbits, thinly sliced green onions, diced sweet bell pepper, thawed frozen sweet petite peas (do not cook them), water chestnuts, diced celery, toasted slivered almonds, grated cheese (optional)

3. To Serve: Ladle chicken and sauce over rice and top with any combination of the toppings. Caution, this makes a big serving so start out easy with the rice and chicken with sauce as this builds up when adding the toppings. This is a very popular recipe in Utah, not only with households, but restaurants as well. This is such an addictive dish and a big crowd pleaser. I double the recipe and it's still not enough to leave for leftovers.

Enjoy!

LOL! Never even seen that served ever in Hawaii. Must be the pineapple. Bet it's good though. I'll try it on the missionaries for dinner.