Share your recipes

Dravin

Guest Sachi001

I've made the Hawaiian Haystacks. They are awesome and my family loved them.

LOL! Seriously!? In Hawaii? Come now I know you savor some poi and laulau.:P

LOL! Never even seen that served ever in Hawaii. Must be the pineapple. Bet it's good though. I'll try it on the missionaries for dinner.

Nope, you won't find it in Hawai'i, lol! This is a Utah/Mormon thing & yes, perfect for serving to the missionaries. Some of the restaurants in Utah will have contests on who makes the best version of Hawaiian Haystacks.

I wish I knew what restaurants in Utah served these because I have yet to see these served in any restaurant in Utah.

Pam - I'll have to try & find the names of the places that I had gone to for you. With all the traveling that I do & the number of restaurants that I go to...their names all meld together, lol. But, they were recommendations from the cath lab staff at the various hospitals that I go to in SLC, Provo, & Orem. Even the hospital cafeterias serve this!!

I think my restaurant days are numbered now, though. I've made a major change in my eating habits & have gone vegan/raw foods. Since many of the hotels that I stay at have small kitchens, it will be very easy for me to buy the organic veggies, fruits, nuts, etc. and then make my own meals. Not only will it be cheaper for my company, but much more healthier for me in the long run!

This is a recipe I modified for the crockpot. I used to cook this in the over for 4 hours on 300 degrees

2 pounds stew meat or chicken tenders

1 pkg. Lipton onion soup mix.

2 cans Lipton golden mushroom soup

1 small can mushrooms, sliced or pieces

1 soup can of water.

Place all ingredients in crockpot with the meat on the bottom. Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 6 hours.

Serve over cooked rice or curly noodles.

(one of my family favorites and easily done on Fast Sunday)

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone had Taco soup? I love it.

1 lb ground beef and 1 chopped onion cooked together and drained

2 cans of kidney beans or pinto beans

1 can of black beans

2 cans of tomatoes or the rotel kind

1 can of cream of corn

1 package of taco seasoning

1 package of dry ranch dressing

mix together with 1 cup of water (don't drain any of the canned stuff)

cook till hot

serve with tortila chips cheddar cheese and sour cream.

My version is I use one can of kidney and two cans of black beans b/c I like them better. Also I drain some b/c I like it thicker.

Also I have cooked this in the crock pot just don't add the 1 cup of water.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is from the cookbook I did for my kids and friends. I broke down and measured all those things my mother and grandmother and mother-n-law showed me. :) Added my own and gave as gifts at christmas.

Tex-Mex Enchiladas

Chili

The Chili made for these Enchiladas have no beans.

21/2 lbs of Chili Meat

1 med. Onion, chopped

1 green pepper, chopped

2 cans (8 oz) tomato sauce

1 can Rotel tomatoes

3 tbsp. Chili powder

½ tsp. Garlic powder

¼ tsp. Cinnamon

1 Tlb. Cumin

2 Jalapeno Chili peppers, seeded and chopped small (optional)

Brown meat, onion, and green pepper in a heavy bottom pot. ( 5Qts)

Add Chili powder, garlic, cinnamon and cumin to meat and stir in the tomato sauce and rotel tomatoes.

Bring to a boil and reduce heat and simmer for about 1 ½ hours

Enchiladas

Cheddar cheese, shredded

Corn tortilla

Onion, chopped

Green bell pepper, chopped

Chili from above

In a ungreased casserole dish pour a little of the chili in the bottom and spread it around.

Take a corn tortilla and dip it into hot grease until it is limp.

Lay into the bottom of casserole dish and put cheese, onion, and green pepper into the center of the tortilla and pull one side over the mixture in the middle and then put the other up and over the side you pulled over mixture. Roll the tortilla over so that the ends are on the bottom. Pull the tortilla to the side of the casserole dish and start another. Make as many tortillas as you need for your use. If you do not fill the whole casserole dish with rolled tortillas then pull them to the center and pour chili over them sprinkle cheese and onion over the top. Bake in the 350 oven until cheese is melted. Serve hot.

Edited by zippy_do46

• 4 weeks later...

I made this for Mothers Day for my wife, mom, and mother in law. They all loved it and my wife has me make it alot. Be warned though, it makes a lot and tough to cut in half. So its perfect for after Sunday church leftovers.

Fiesta Taco Pasta Salad

14 oz bag Fiesta Pasta

2 lbs. ground beef

2 pkgs. taco seasoning mix

1 15oz. can refried beans

1 lb. Velveeta cheese

1 14.5 oz can Rotel

1: Brown ground beef. Drain and add taco seasoning mixture, following the package directions.

2: Cook pasta until tender but firm. Drain and add ground beef and refried beans.

3: Melt cheese and add Rotel. Add to beef mixture and combine. Reheat to desire temperature.

4: Serve over shredded lettuce and chopped tomatoes or with your favorite tortilla chips. Add toppings such as green onions, sliced black olives, avocado, sour cream, salsa, etc.

It says it serves 8-10. When we make it, we have it for a Friday night dinner and then after Fast Sunday, once we get home we have it for dinner for Sunday night. Sometimes there is enough left over to take for lunch on Monday.

Just made this today...absolutely delish!! Oro Blanco Grapefruit is white grapefruit that is very sweet & juicy. They are not tangy & sour the way other grapefruit is.

Oro Blanco Grapefruit Salad

1 Oro Blanco grapefruit

1/2 lb jicama, julienned

1 C fresh pea sprouts or sunflower sprouts

2 C sugar peas, sliced diagonally

1/4 C green onions, thinly sliced

Cut away the peeling on the grapefruit. Over a bowl (to catch the juice) section the fruit removing the membranes. Cut each section into pieces. Set juice aside. Peel jicama & cut into julienne strips. Add jicama to grapefruit along with the fresh pea sprouts (sunflower sprouts), sliced sugar peas and sliced green onions. Gently toss. Serve with the grapefruit vinaigrette as listed below.

Oro Blanco Grapefruit Vinaigrette

1/4 C Oro Blanco grapefruit juice, may need to use additional Oro Blanco grapefruit for additional juice

1 t raw honey or organic agave syrup

1 T fresh Tarragon, finely minced

1 t fresh mint, finely minced

1 t organic Dijon mustard

1/2 t shallot, finely minced

sea salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste

1/3 C olive oil

Place all ingredients into a blender & blend until creamy. Drizzle over salad then serve.

Enjoy this delightful, refreshing salad!!

Apropos of nothing...

Grapefruit is a hybrid of an orange and a pomelo (or pummelo, or several other variant spellings). I first saw a pomelo some years back; it looks like a gigantic grapefruit. It sections like other citrus fruits, and the flesh is sweet, very mild, and quite dry. Not sure how most non-pink grapefruits end up with their bitter edge, since neither the orange nor the pomelo tastes like that.

I also discovered, after a lifetime of thinking I could eat grapefruit only if it were pink and only if I sprinkled sugar on top, that pink grapefruit is absolutely wonderful, fresh or as juice. Then I found out that yellow grapefruit is pretty good, too, and perfectly edible without sugar. Who knew?

Of course, as a kid I hated pizza and watermelon, so my tastes as a juvenile may not have been the most reliable indicator.