Going To The Temple In Street Clothes.

I have seen this come up. People saying who cares If i come to the temple in jeans and t shirts to do a session as long as my heart is right. I would not feel comfortable coming to the temple dressed that way. If someone;s heart is in the right place would they come dressed like that to the temple. Boyd K Packer said in the holy temple I am saddened and amazed when someone comes to the temple dressed like they are going to a picnic or athletic event. Surely attendence in the house of the lord deserves far more considerable attention. if someone is mature enough to enter the house of the lord they are mature enough to dress for the occasion.

Earlier this year a church news article said when you go to the beach or on a picnic you dress to fit the occasion. Likewise when you go see a prime minister or president I am sure you would want to look your best.

I remember once I took my p.e. shirt home to get washed and didn't bring another one. I wore a nice dress shirt to school the next day. Had to wear it to p.e. and basketball practice. Did I feel comfortable with it. No. Did I get comments yes.

If you enter a temple dressed in nonsunday dress to see a wedding or do a session you are going to get looks i am sure. Likewise if you wear a tie to a beach you will get looks.

My question can you be asked to leave the temple for not dressing appropriatly. And who would feel comfortable dressed that way.

I am not talking about people on vacation that want to take pictures of the temple grounds or people that can;'t go to the temple that come to the waiting room. Though as a courtesy you should tell them to wear there sunday dress. I am talking about people coming to the temple to do a session not dressed in sunday best. I myself never seen it but it does happen on occasion.

Originally posted by dontagreeljefe@Jul 28 2005, 03:53 PM

My question can you be asked to leave the temple for not dressing appropriatly.

Now, I'm no expert mind you ;) but from what I understand; the temple workers would not even give you permission to enter the temple if you are not dressed appropriately.

M.

Originally posted by Maureen+Jul 28 2005, 04:03 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Maureen @ Jul 28 2005, 04:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--dontagreeljefe@Jul 28 2005, 03:53 PM

Now, I'm no expert mind you ;) but from what I understand; the temple workers would not even give you permission to enter the temple if you are not dressed appropriately.

M.

You would not be turned away for not wearing 'sunday clothes'

I went just recently in very casual clothes...no-one said anything.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest K Anderson

Jesus would not wear sandals to the temple. He would not do that. Sandals and "street clothes" are not to be worn inthe holy temple. That is why we call it holy!!!

Jesus wore sandals in his day and long robes. that was the custome. He had a beard in his days and long hair. This is not considered radical for his time. When he comes again, he will not have long hair so as to "avoid the appearance of evil..."

What would he look like?

Look to the brethren. The are instructed by the lord and the wear conservative suits, have conservative haircuts. they don't have flashy ties (which mroe men in th ec hurch should learn from and take a lesson from it). Jesus would look like the brethren when he comes back.

Do you wear your suit when you take a bath?

Do you wear shorts in the snow?

"To every thing, there is a time and a place." (Eccleseasties)

Jesus would have worn his jewish head hat, prayer shawl and phylactaries. in his hday. This was proper in his day.

Now things have changed BUT THE GOSPEL IS THE SAME!!! it is people and "the world" who change, and the church cannot look like it or be part of it.

You have got to keep yourself seperated from the world.

Originally posted by K Anderson@Aug 14 2005, 01:07 AM

...he will not have long hair so as to "avoid the appearance of evil..."

That's hilarious. Why is long hair evil? Because the one with it has to use more shampoo and conditioner than the one with less? I'm at a loss, I can't think of why long hair has the appearance of evil - explain please.

M.

Originally posted by Maureen+Aug 16 2005, 09:39 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Maureen @ Aug 16 2005, 09:39 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--K Anderson@Aug 14 2005, 01:07 AM

That's hilarious. Why is long hair evil? Because the one with it has to use more shampoo and conditioner than the one with less? I'm at a loss, I can't think of why long hair has the appearance of evil - explain please.

M.

Two words: Easy Rider.

:lol::lol:

It’s interesting to see how much people are affected by culture. A red skin Native American man with long gray hair or a yellow skin Asian man with long black hair wouldn’t seem evil at all, but many people would consider a white skin American man with long hair of any color to be a hippie or rebel or simply not a good man just as quick as he might get off of a motorcycle.

And btw, I seriously doubt that our Lord keeps his hair cut and wears a business suit everyday. Even in this day and age, sandals and a robe are much more comfortable, and I think they are even more attractive.

Has anyone seen a sheik or sultan dressed up?

…or how about a movie called Laurence of Arabia???

Originally posted by K Anderson@Aug 14 2005, 12:07 AM

Sandals and "street clothes" are not to be worn inthe holy temple. That is why we call it holy!!!

That would be wrong.

Today I went to the Newport Beach Temple. There is a small room with showers where visitors in "street clothes" that haven't had a chance to change yet, perhaps after work, can come, as they are, and change into something more appropriate.

Of course, the Church runs the temple. Maybe K Anderson knows better than the Church.

Well K? Do you?

Originally posted by Outshined+Aug 16 2005, 03:23 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Outshined @ Aug 16 2005, 03:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -Maureen@Aug 16 2005, 09:39 AM

<!--QuoteBegin--K Anderson@Aug 14 2005, 01:07 AM

M.

:o:lol:

I can not see why long hair on a man is considered "evil" I think that is just plain silly. I happen to like long hair on guys. I have never considered any of them "evil"

Although...............If I picture "evil" in long hair..... it would be Jack Nickleson!

Originally posted by lindy9556+Aug 19 2005, 05:00 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lindy9556 @ Aug 19 2005, 05:00 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -Outshined@Aug 16 2005, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by -Maureen@Aug 16 2005, 09:39 AM

<!--QuoteBegin--K Anderson@Aug 14 2005, 01:07 AM

M.

:o:lol:

Although...............If I picture "evil" in long hair..... it would be Jack Nickleson!

Aaaww...please stop picking on our Jack...I love him!!! :P

Guest lafandjan

If a persons heart is right place than they will never go to the temple in casual clothing. Its all a matter of respect to the Lord, we are going to a place that is known as the House of the Lord and to dress other than the required atire is disrespectful. You wouldnt go to a formal wedding dressed in jeans and a t-shirt, you go in the atire you are expected so it shows the host you respect them. So its the same with the house of the Lord.

Guest momma5

FWIW: My mom was a worker in the Dallas Temple for many years (she is now at the San Antonio one), and she said that they never turned away people in street clothes. They even allowed women to come in if they even showed up in jeans!

And yes, I've been in the snow in shorts before. :lol:

Originally posted by lafandjan@Aug 21 2005, 01:46 PM

If a persons heart is right place than they will never go to the temple in casual clothing.  Its all a matter of respect to the Lord, we are going to a place that is known as the House of the Lord and to dress other than the required atire is disrespectful. 

Translation: "I am the sole arbiter or what a "heart in the right place" means, and anyone who disagrees with me does not respect the Lord.

Question: Can anybody spot the problem with such an opinion?

Originally posted by srm+Jul 31 2005, 09:56 PM-->

Originally posted by Maureen@Jul 28 2005, 04:03 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-dontagreeljefe@Jul 28 2005, 03:53 PM

M.

You would not be turned away for not wearing 'sunday clothes'

I went just recently in very casual clothes...no-one said anything.

No...But if you remember right his robe is similar to the ones warn in the temple :wow: And that was the dress in those times, and now we are in our day.... B)

Originally posted by momma5@Aug 25 2005, 09:07 PM

FWIW:  My mom was a worker in the Dallas Temple for many years (she is now at the San Antonio one), and she said that they never turned away people in street clothes.  They even allowed women to come in if they even showed up in jeans!

And yes, I've been in the snow in shorts before.  :lol:

I agree,

They ask you to wear your sunday best out of respect, but if you dont have much or are on a lunch break I think they would understand that you are trying to make time for the lords work.. :P

Originally posted by momma5@Aug 25 2005, 09:07 PM

And yes, I've been in the snow in shorts before.  :lol:

Is that a problem?

One day the school called me because my son wore shorts and a sweatshirt on a day that it snowed. I really didn't see it was a problem he made that choice from a closet full of long pants too. :unsure.dontknow:

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by bizabra@Aug 3 2005, 10:24 PM

Would Jesus be turned away if he showed up wearing sandals, robes, and a beard?

Just asking. . . . . . . . .

I have seen many come with beards and long hair in pony tails... even tatoos.

I haven't seen anyone in robes even on the streets, so I don't know that a robe would be turned away either, if he had a recommend.

And since Christ is the one requiring a recommend, He would have one, I'm sure, even if he had to get it out of the mouth of a fish. :D

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by bizabra@Aug 30 2005, 09:22 AM

How does having long hair give a man the "appearance of evil"?  Long hair on men is EVIL????

It depends upon the person. If his bishop doesn't think it is evil, then neither will anyone at the temple. A recommend tells us they have permission from someone who knows them beyond their clothes and hair styles.

Guest Aussiegirl

Hi,

My hubby entered the temple a few months ago in shorts and t-shirts and he was told he could not enter the temple looking like that. ( and he was only dropping of a piece of paper to be added to the prayer list)

So I would say that shorts and t shirts and casual clothes like this would not be allowed in the temple etc.

Besides why would you enter the temple other than sunday best. Even when the temple was dedicated and the dedication from inside was broadcast as several stake centres the dress required even though not in the temple was sunday best.

I think it is more of a respect thing that we would enter the house of the lord in our best clothes. I would personally not feel comfortable wearing casual dress. When saints are asked to come and help clean the temple they still wear there whites.

So what ever excuse people use to justify what they can wear to the temple is their own business. it really boils down to it it is between them and the Lord and how they feel they should dress to attend the temple.

Me my self though will wear sunday best as it is the RIGHT thing to do in my heart etc.