Going To The Temple In Street Clothes.

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by Aussiegirl@Aug 31 2005, 11:37 PM

Hi,

My hubby entered the temple a few months ago in shorts and t-shirts and he was told he could not enter the temple looking like that.  ( and he was only dropping of a piece of paper to be added to the prayer list)

So I would say that shorts and t shirts and casual clothes like this would not be allowed in the temple etc.

Besides why would you enter the temple other than sunday best.  Even when the temple was dedicated and the dedication from inside was broadcast as several stake centres the dress required even though not in the temple was sunday best. 

I think it is more of a respect thing that we would enter the house of the lord in our best clothes.  I would personally not feel comfortable wearing casual dress.  When saints are asked to come and help clean the temple they still wear there whites. 

So what ever excuse people use to justify what they can wear to the temple is their own business.  it really boils down to it it is between them and the Lord and how they feel they should dress to attend the temple.

Me my self though will wear sunday best as it is the RIGHT thing to do in my heart etc.

Of course there is the converse of dressing correctly and having slept with your Elder's quorum President every Sunday during meetings while his wife the RS president was too busy to notice what he was doing.

That happened to someone here in Orem.

Ok, I know I'm new here, but what on earth does that have to do with the topic. That is a private matter that I'm sure has been delt with and doesn't need to be brought up anywhere else.

I have a quote for everyone her concerning rules and regulations for anything. I'm horrible with names and cannot for the life of me remember who said this. My parents gave me the talk on cd for my birthday. "Love much and do what you can do. The Lord will take care of the rest."

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by tiffybird24@Sep 2 2005, 04:44 AM

Ok, I know I'm new here, but what on earth does that have to do with the topic.  That is a private matter that I'm sure has been delt with and doesn't need to be brought up anywhere else.

I have a quote for everyone her concerning rules and regulations for anything.  I'm horrible with names and cannot for the life of me remember who said this.  My parents gave me the talk on cd for my birthday.  "Love much and do what you can do.  The Lord will take care of the rest."

It has everything to do with, not just washing the outside of the cup, but the inside also.

It has everything to do with clothing yourself in charity so that you will be properly dressed for the 'wedding feast'.

Interesting in all the post so far I have not seen one that says people SHOULD NOT try to dress above what they normally wear, if they can, when they go to the temple. No one has said that if you do prepare yourself that you will have greater difficulty feeling the spirit. No one says there is no spiritual reward by making an effort to present yourself before the L-rd in his house.

Let us be able to see the difference between what ought to be done what must be done and sometimes what is done. I have found for my self that by preparing (sometimes with fasting and prayer) I can feel the spirit better. I recommend that when going to the temple you go as though you are to meet someone important. If you were to meet the President of the USA or some king would you not make an effort to present yourself?

But if you were to meet with the greatest king in the universe, what personal care would you attend to? Most likely we could all do a little better. I know I can.

I wish to thank those that encourage us all to make an effort to do better. I personally thank you.

The Traveler

If I have tome to prepare I wear my Sunday clothes to the temple. If not (i.e. once driving past the Portland Oregon temple and deciding I had time for a session, I went in wearing jeans and a short sleaved shirt. No problem. I know a guy has been a member of the church for two decades and has never once put on a tie to go to church or to the temple -- and no he isn't some sort of hick, he's a Jewish convert from a very intellectual background who is a professor of physics. He just contends that it's what is in your heart and spirit that counts, not the clothes you wear.

Originally posted by Fiannan@Sep 7 2005, 12:18 PM

He just contends that it's what is in your heart and spirit that counts, not the clothes you wear.

Not completely true - there are some things you wear concerning the temple that are part of your temple covenant. And before performing in any ordinance those that work at the temple wear special clothes that are never worn outside the temple.

The Traveler

you know i dont think it matters what you wear but i would think if posible you would put on your best out of respect for the building and what it is standing for. The temple is the house of the lord and i would think that you would want to be in decent clothes. but i dont think the clothes matter i think the fact that you are worthy to go there and that you know how important it is to be in the building and what you are doing. so i think the clothes are a minor detail. but that is my opinion on that

Originally posted by Fiannan@Sep 7 2005, 01:18 PM

If I have tome to prepare I wear my Sunday clothes to the temple.  If not (i.e. once driving past the Portland Oregon temple and deciding I had time for a session, I went in wearing jeans and a short sleaved shirt.  No problem. 

An Interesting point. I have been by temples I have never been into before while traveling and I didn't feel I could go inside because I wasn't wearing a dress. Was this wrong not to do a session because the clothes I was wearing were not what I would normally wear to the temple?

i really dont think the clothes matter. As long as you are doing what you feel is right ... Some people cant afford good clothes to go to the temple i dont think that should stop them from going.i think if you are worried about the clothes you are not thinking about what you are there to do... who are we to judge one another by what is worn... What matters is that if and when you go you go for the right reasons and in understanding that you are in the lords house and doing his will besides that it should not matter

Originally posted by Please@Sep 2 2005, 07:28 AM

It has everything to do with, not just washing the outside of the cup, but the inside also.

It has everything to do with clothing yourself in charity so that you will be properly dressed for the 'wedding feast'.

You're forgetting that you have to be clean on the inside in the first place to even be able to go to the temple.

The whole point of going to the temple is to feel God's presence and to perform sacred ordinances for ourselves and others. When we go to the temple we need to dress as if we are standing in his very presence, because in a way, we are. The bottom line here is that if you have access to your sunday clothes, wear them. You're visiting a dedicated House of the Lord to perform His work. If you don't have your Sunday best, then you wear the best that you DO have. God has given you everything which you have, and the only thing he asks in return is our best effort in all that we do. Is that so hard?

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by puterguy01+Sep 10 2005, 01:39 AM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-Please@Sep 2 2005, 07:28 AM

You're forgetting that you have to be clean on the inside in the first place to even be able to go to the temple.

The whole point of going to the temple is to feel God's presence and to perform sacred ordinances for ourselves and others. When we go to the temple we need to dress as if we are standing in his very presence, because in a way, we are. The bottom line here is that if you have access to your sunday clothes, wear them. You're visiting a dedicated House of the Lord to perform His work. If you don't have your Sunday best, then you wear the best that you DO have. God has given you everything which you have, and the only thing he asks in return is our best effort in all that we do. Is that so hard?

I think it is great when 'those' occasions when you can't be in sunday clothes the attendants don't get all pissy at you and send you out the door.

I remember when my husband and I were visiting relatives down in Arizona and heard about the wedding of his closest cousin.. (my mil was a beasty and wasn't gtiving anyone our address) so when we found out, we didn't have sunday clothes with us because we were only going to be there that one day.. and traveling the rest... so all we had was our levis and sneakers. Well the temple president not only let us in that way, but let us in without our temple recommends and even went so far as to help me remember my special name through a special process.

I thought he used the spirit of discernment through the whole thing and didn't judge by the outward appearance at all.

We were given temple clothes and were able to attend the sealing. It was a very special moment I remember to this day.

The difference here is that levis and sneakers was the best you had, and the temple president was able to discern that, through the prompting of the spirit. However, sometimes people don't wear their best simply because they don't care, and that's when it becomes a problem. Like I said before, if you can get to your Sunday clothes, you wear them. Otherwise, you wear the best that you have.

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by puterguy01@Sep 10 2005, 10:47 AM

The difference here is that levis and sneakers was the best you had, and the temple president was able to discern that, through the prompting of the spirit.  However, sometimes people don't wear their best simply because they don't care, and that's when it becomes a problem.  Like I said before, if you can get to your Sunday clothes, you wear them.  Otherwise, you wear the best that you have.

I totally agree. :D

• 13 years later...

This is a really old topic, but I'm currently traveling for work, am near a temple, have some free time, so thought maybe I should go. I don't have anything with me that I would normally wear to the temple at home. I have jeans and a button up shirt with my company logo on it... So I did a quick Google search to see what I could find about a "dress code" for attending the temple and this forum topic was one of the first hits.

So I wanted to add this here, in case others also stumble across this. The official stance of the church is go to the temple, don't worry about your clothes:

"Once a patron arrives at the temple in good faith and with a valid recommend, temple authorities are not to pass judgment on that person’s worthiness nor upon the appropriateness of his or her attire and grooming. Attire that seems inappropriate to those of more conventional tastes does not constitute grounds for refusing admission to the temple. Every faithful member, regardless of attire and grooming, is entitled to a satisfactory temple experience."

From: https://www.lds.org/study/ensign/1993/02/i-have-a-question/is-there-a-dress-and-grooming-standard-for-temple-attendance?lang=eng