Read Any Good Books?

Guest Trad-N-Dandyish

Guest Trad-N-Dandyish

Is anyone currently reading a good book(fiction or non-fiction) that they recommend? Or have read recently?

I just finished reading, "Mental Management for Great Golf" by Dr.Bee Epstein-Shepherd. It is a terrific book for any LDS golfer who is interested in improving their golf game - I highly recommend it!

Also, I recently got my hands on this church book that someone lend me titled, "Church History in the Fulness of Times" by the Church Educational System that I began reading today.

Regards,

Trad-N-Dandyish

I recommend with all my heart:

The Glass Beads Game - Hermans Hesse

Narcissus and Goldman - Hesse

Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand

Les Miserable' - Victor Hugo (unabridged, trans. by Norman Denny)

Thus Spoke Zarathustra - Frederich Nietzsche

Origins of Power - D. Michael Quinn

Magic World View - Quinn

Insider's View of Mormon Origins - Grant Palmer

and last, and probably least, my own work out August 10th 05, Born-Again Mormon: Moving Toward Christian Authenticity.

In Jesus Always,

Shawn McCraney

Last night I just finished Pope John XXIII by Thomas Cahill.

Pope John XXIII (Angelo Guiseppe Roncalli) was the Pope when I was a little kid - the first of the truly modern, liberal Popes - not that there have been that many. He was the first to even venture outside the Vatican since 1870. It was he who called the Vatican II Council, I imagine the conservatives are still stewing over that.

The book was written by the wonderdul historian and author Thomas Cahill (Desire of the Everlasting Hills and The Wine Dark Sea - Why the Greeks still matter) in "rich, impassioned" prose. It is part of the Viking - Penguin Lives series that focuses on great, fascinating figures in history. I read their book on Martin Luther. Joseph Smith got one of their first treatments. Other's include Issac Newton, Napolean, Churchill, Oliver Cromwell, Dickens, Lincoln, etc.

The book has a brief but sweeping account of the history of the papacy as well as short review of the post John XXIII papacy.

Best of all the Penguin series books are all about 200 or so pages.

Recommended.

I've been enjoying some biographies recently, I've read:

Elizabeth: The Struggle for the Throne by David Starkey

I'm reading:

From Mission to Madness (Last Son of the Mormon Prophet) by Valeen Tippetts Avery

I've also just finished:

Insider's View of Mormon Origins by Grant Palmer

And I'm way behind in my Harry Potter reading; I still have to read book 4.

M.

I love reading, just popular novels, escapist fiction mostly, and particularly like psychological or forensic themes.

I like anything by Tony Hillerman, who writes whodunits set in the Navajo Reservation at Four Corners. These books appeal to all sorts, meaning they are not "chicklit". I pass my Hillerman books on to my grown son, also a fan; Hillerman just cannot write fast enough to keep either of us satisfied.

But, for chicklit, I highly recommend Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. I just finished the tenth book in the series and wil be reading the eleventh soon, already have it.

For medical/forensic type whodunits I much prefer Kathy Reichs Tempe Brennan to Patricia Cornwell's Kay Scarpetta, more believable characters and plots. I'm looking forward to the fall TV season for the first time in years; there will be a new series, Bones, based on the Tempe Brennan character. Tess Gerritsen and Michael Palmer also write unfailingly good medical mystery fiction.

Jonathan Kellerman's Alex Delaware books are great psychological mystery fiction, as are his wife Faye Kellerman's Peter Decker straight "cop" whodunits in an Orthodox Jewish context. One of my favorite authors of the psychological thriller is Stephen White, terrific plots, and excellent character development. I just finished two of his latest,Blinded, andBest Revenge, neither one of which I could put down.

Last, but not least, are Nevada Barr's Anna Pidgeon books, all set in different National Parks where Anna is a Park Ranger become sleuth.

I do not read non fiction, nor do I read "literature", but read only for escape and enjoyment. I think I paid my literature and non fiction dues during the hundred or so (OK, I exaggerate :D ) years I went to school. But, even then I lived for the semester breaks when I could read my mysteries, and often hoarded books for those treasured weeks sans education.

Originally posted by Idacat@Jul 29 2005, 03:42 PM

...Jonathan Kellerman's Alex Delaware books are great psychological mystery fiction, as are his wife Faye Kellerman's Peter Decker straight "cop" whodunits in an Orthodox Jewish context. One of my favorite authors of the psychological thriller is Stephen White, terrific plots, and excellent character development. I just finished two of his latest,Blinded, andBest Revenge, neither one of which I could put down.

Last, but not least, are Nevada Barr's Anna Pidgeon books, all set in different National Parks where Anna is a Park Ranger become sleuth....

Idacat, thanks for all the tips for the "whodunit" types. My husband is a mystery reader and sometimes I just never know what to get him. I've noticed the author Nevada Barr and wasn't sure about her so the recommend is helpful. I also have a niece named Nevada (which is a rare name) so the author caught my attention.

M.

Maureen...... for your hubby I think I'd go with the Kellermans and definitely Stephen White.

I love the Nevada Barr books, but the main character is female and they are kind of "girly".

I don't think I've ever met a mystery fan who had read a Hillerman book who did not love them.

My wife is really taking her time reading the new Harry Potter. I'm having a hrad time waiting. :ph34r:

Oh, and classics like All Creatures Great and Small are good, and I enjoyed Seabiscuit. And a very good oldie called Tailchaser's Song, sort of like Watership Down, only with cats. ;) All fun books.

Idacat, we seem to share a love of similar kinds of books, I've read one or two books by some of the authors you've mentioned. I love all forensic/psychological thrillers, but also have a bit of a bloodlust about me so I love to read gory books and horror fiction too...even a little sci-fi these days, due to the influence of one of my male friends...now and again I read some of the British 'period history' type books, by the likes of Catherine Cookson and Josephine Cox...there are tons of these books in Britain, mainly read by women, which tell of British families - mainly working class - in the late 19th and early 20th Centuries...fictional and sometimes a little too romantic for my likes, but a good escape and a good source of historical facts without resorting to text books.

I do enjoy reading non fiction books too, especially again books concerned with crime and psychology and history...

Oh, Pushka !! I HAVE read everything of Catherine Cookson's !!

Now there's definite "women's reading",LOL.

It always struck me how her books are just about the everyday, the ordinary, yet the stories are capivating.

PS- how about a movie? I watched Vera Drake a couple of weeks ago. It's like that, an ordinary woman.

Originally posted by Trad-N-Dandyish@Jul 28 2005, 04:40 PM

Is anyone currently reading a good book(fiction or non-fiction) that they recommend... 

Regards,

Trad-N-Dandyish

I'm currently in the process of getting my own book published, The Grim Shadow: A Modern Day Fable.

THE GRIM SHADOW

I've got a Grim Shadow blog.

GRIM SHADOW Blog

Here's an excerpt from the book:

Nanah Cub's journey into The Dimension of Barbarik was truly an amazing one indeed. He first became aware of total darkness, not a cold, dank darkness, but rather a warm, comforting one. Always he could hear the low, muffled sound of a great pump somewhere in the distance, glub-alub, glub-alub, glub-alub. It was not really an ominous sound, but more of a reassuring one. Cozily tucked in, he felt safe and secure.

Sometimes the journey was rather disconcerting. Nanah Cub would be resting and a loud noise would jolt him to alertness. He would often hear a hullabaloo or laughter from far off in the distance and at times he would hear a clanging sound or a low rumbling. Sometimes if he listened very closely he could hear a repeated melody that was enchanting. There were so many different and unfamiliar sounds and he could never quite tell where they were coming from or what they were. It was puzzling, but having no sense of time, Nanah Cub just lived in each moment and was content in just being. And he continued on his journey.

Then one fateful day The Dimension of Barbarik started closing in on him. He was being squeezed and pushed and crushed in the darkness. Everything in Nanah Cub's world was changing! A panic seized him and he was terrified of what would come next. Suddenly the darkness was shattered by a bright light! And the warmth was replaced by a shivering cold. And Nanah Cub felt so - unprotected!

Then almost as if by magic he found himself within a warm, sheltering embrace and looked for the first time into somehow familiar eyes filled with joy and laughter. And the familiar melody began again. Only this time he could comprehend its meaning...

"Dear One, welcome to my home.

Always know you're not alone.

You will live here safe with me.

I'll love you for eternity."

-Carol Saunders

Idacat, it took me till just over 3 years ago before I could bring myself to read any Catherine Cookson books! My mum, sister and most of my women friends had been reading her stuff for years whilst I had been reading mainly Danielle Steel books and some of the Horror/Sci-fi stuff instead. I had read one or two of the Josephine Cox books, which were set in Lancashire, where I live, so I could relate to those better...I still haven't read more than a handful of the Catherine Cookson books, but I will get through my collection eventually.

I am a book freak, everywhere I go I end up buying about 6 or so books...if I can get them 2nd hand I prefer to, but it isn't always possible, unfortunately.

So, the movies? were you talking about TV Movies based on novels? I know that quite a few of the Catherine Cookson novels have been made into tv mini-series and then released onto video/dvd, so you might be able to find some? I like my movies similar to the kinds of books I like, however I'm a sucker for kids movies and comedies too...Just found a link to that Vera Drake movie you mentioned, I've never seen it but it sounds very interesting...I will search for it...thanks.

Guest Trad-N-Dandyish

Wow! Thank you all for your recommendations, I will look forward to reading these books and please do not hesitate to add more recommendations.

"Next to acquiring good friends, the best acquisition is that of good books" - Charles Caleb Colton

Regards,

Trad-N-Dandyish