Day 22 August 31 - Acts 21-26

"Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian"

Scripture Reference: Acts 26:19-28

19 Whereupon, O king Agrippa, I was not disobedient unto the heavenly vision:

20 But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.

21 For these causes the Jews caught me in the temple, and went about to kill me.

22 Having therefore obtained help of God, I continue unto this day, witnessing both to small and great, saying none other things than those which the prophets and Moses did say should come:

23 That Christ should suffer, and that he should be the first that should rise from the dead, and should shew light unto the people, and to the Gentiles.

24 And as he thus spake for himself, Festus said with a loud voice, Paul, thou art beside thyself; much learning doth make thee mad.

25 But he said, I am not mad, most noble Festus; but speak forth the words of truth and soberness.

26 For the king knoweth of these things, before whom also I speak freely: for I am persuaded that none of these things are hidden from him; for this thing was not done in a corner.

27 King Agrippa, believest thou the prophets? I know that thou believest.

28 Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian.

Elder Legrand Richards, Conference Report, April 1956, Third Day - Morning Meeting

When Paul stood before Festus and King Agrippa and bore that marvelous testimony, how he had seen a light and heard a voice and how the Son of God said to him, ". . . Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me? It is hard for thee to kick against the pricks," (Acts 26:14) and then as Paul reasoned before these two great Romans he said, "Why should it be thought a thing incredible with you that God should raise the dead?" (Acts 26:8.) To be able to accept the message of Paul in those days that God really had raised the dead, for Christ had been raised from the dead and had appeared to him, was harder, possibly, to believe than the message of the prophet of this dispensation.

You will recall that when that testimony was borne, Festus said, "Paul, thou art beside thyself; much learning doth make thee mad," to which Paul replied, "I am not mad, most noble Festus; but speak forth the words of truth and soberness," to which King Agrippa replied, "Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian." (Acts 26:24-25, 28.)

Now the Prophet Joseph Smith declared that the Father and the Son appeared to him when he was a mere lad, not quite fifteen, and the thing that he could not understand was the prejudice that that statement aroused in the minds of leaders of men and leaders of religion, for he was a boy of no great pretense, just a farmer's boy without education, and he said he could understand, but he said he felt as he imagined Paul felt. He knew that he had seen a light. He knew that he had heard the voices of these two Personages, God the Father and his Son, Jesus Christ. And he said he knew that God knew it, and he dared not deny it because he knew that by so doing he would come under condemnation before God.

Does it seem any more incredible today to believe that the God of heaven and his Son Jesus Christ who was resurrected from the grave should appear to man here upon this earth than to believe that Christ was resurrected, a thing that had never been seen or heard of before at the time of his resurrection?

Elder Legran Richards, Conference Report, April 1968, Third Day - Morning Meeting

Experience of the Apostle Paul

I would just like to remind you now of the experience of the apostle Paul. You will remember how he persecuted the saints, and then on the way to Damascus for the same purpose, a light appeared brighter than the noonday sun, and those who were with him all fell to the earth, and a voice from heaven said, "Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me? it is hard . . . to kick against the pricks." And Saul said, "Who art thou, Lord?" "I am Jesus whom thou persecutest." (Acts 26:14-15.) Then we follow Paul's great ministry, as described by the Savior, and he was persecuted as no others of the brethren were. He was flayed and stoned; then he stood before the great governor Festus and King Agrippa, in bonds, and they desired to hear from Paul.

There Paul related his marvelous experience, for he knew other than by hearsay that Jesus was the Christ. When he had finished his testimony, Festus said: "Paul, thou art beside thyself; much learning doth make thee mad," to which Paul replied: "I am not mad, most noble Festus; but speak forth the words of truth and soberness." And then Agrippa replied: "Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian." (Acts 26:2425, 28.) And then you remember that Paul said, "I would to God, that not only thou, but also all that hear me this day, were both almost, and altogether such as I am, except these bonds." (Acts 26:20.)

Story of Joseph Smith

There is another great story that all the world ought to know that is comparable to the one I have just related of the apostle Paul, and that is the story of Joseph Smith, who in his youth saw the confusion in his community and knew not which church he should join. Then he read the words of James:

"If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him." (Jas. 1:5.)

Joseph said that he realized that if any man needed wisdom, he did, and he went into the woods to pray. And just like that glorious light that shone over Paul, brighter than the noonday sun, after Joseph had had the powers of darkness fall upon him until he felt like his very life would be crushed from his body, a light appeared to him brighter than the noonday sun. God was repeating in substance an experience such as Paul had to usher in this, the dispensation of the fulness of times. He saw in that light two glorious messengers, the Father and his Son. He was told by Jesus that he should join none of the churches, because they all taught for doctrine the commandments of men. Later he bore his testimony, and he said he felt like Paul of old. He could not understand why people would persecute him for telling the truth. You know, he was in prison some thirty times, and he finally sealed his testimony with his blood. He said he knew that he had seen a vision; he knew that God knew it; and he dared not deny it, ecause he knew that by so doing he would offend God and come under his condemnation. (See Joseph Smith 2:25.)

Elder Harold B. Lee, Conference Report, April 1964, Afternoon Meeting

We were back East a short time ago and a good bishop made an interesting comment about what he called the saddest words that he knows of a man in high station. He read from the words in the days of the Apostle Paul when Paul before King Agrippa had borne his powerful testimony of his conversion. King Agrippa's reply was, "Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian." (Acts 26:28.) Then the bishop said, "The king knew the truth but he lacked the courage to do that which would be required; and he could only say then, 'Almost thou persuadest,' almost persuaded under certain circumstances to do the thing the Lord would want him to do."

And then he characterized some things that he discovered in his own ward in a short but powerful sermon. "In response to the Master, `Come . . . follow me' (Mark 10:21), some members almost," he said, "but not quite, say, `thou persuadest me almost to be honest but I need extra help to pass a test.'"

You young people in the choir might think of that.

"Almost thou persuadest me to keep the Sabbath day holy, but it's fun to play ball on Sunday.

"Almost thou persuadest me to love my neighbor, but he is a rascal; to be tolerant of others' views, but they are dead wrong; to be kind to sister, but she hit me first- to go home teaching but it's so cold and damp outside tonight; to pay tithes and offerings, but we do need a new color TV set; to find the owner of a lost watch, but no one returned the watch I lost; to pass the Sacrament, but I've graduated from the deacons now, almost thou persuadest me to be reverent, but I had to tell my pal about my date last night; almost thou persuadest me to attend stake leadership meeting, but I know more than the leader on that subject, so why should I go. Thou persuadest me almost to go to Sacrament meeting but there is going to be such an uninteresting speaker tonight. Almost! Almost! Almost! but not quite, not able quite to reach."

Acts 21:14 The will of the Lord be done

There seems to be some resignation in the tone of Paul’s companions. A beloved leader and valiant missionary, Paul had become dear to the hearts of all around him. Yet, Paul seemed to value his life much less than his friends did. They didn’t want him to be imprisoned or worse, killed. Yet, they were resigned to say, ‘The will of the Lord be done.’

How applicable is this attitude to us? How often are we faced with challenges in which our mortal desires are different than the Lord’s grand design. Young mothers are taken from their children, missionaries are killed while in their prime. When these things happen some wonder whether God truly loves his children. Yet we must remember the word of the Lord, ‘as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts’ (Isa 55:9). Like Paul’s companions, we must also declare, ‘The will of the Lord be done.’

Heber J. Grant

“My wife Lucy was very sick for nearly three years prior to her death. At one time I was in the hospital with her for six months. When she was dying, I called my children into the bedroom and told them their mamma was dying. My daughter Lutie said she did not want her mamma to die and insisted that I lay hands upon her and heal her, saying that she had often seen her mother, when sick in the hospital in San Francisco, suffering intensely, go to sleep immediately and have a peaceful night's rest when I had blessed her. I explained to my children that we all had to die some time, and that I felt that their mamma's time had come. The children went out of the room, and I knelt down by the bed of my dying wife and told the Lord that I acknowledged his hand in life or in death, in joy or in sorrow, in prosperity or adversity; that I did not complain because my wife was dying, but that I lacked the strength to see my wife die and have her death affect the faith of my children in the ordinances of the gospel. I therefore pleaded with him to give to my daughter Lutie a testimony that it was his will that her mother should die. Within a few short hours, my wife breathed her last. Then I called the children into the bedroom and announced that their mamma was dead. My little boy Heber commenced weeping bitterly, and Lutie put her arms around him and kissed him, and told him not to cry, that the voice of the Lord had said to her, ‘In the death of your mamma the will of the Lord will be.’ Lutie knew nothing of my prayers, and this manifestation to her was a direct answer to my supplication to the Lord, and for it I have never ceased to be grateful.” ("When Great Sorrows Are Our Portion," Improvement Era, 15 (June 1912): 726-27.)

Acts 21:20 Thou seest, brother, how many thousands of Jews there are which believe; and they are all zealous of the law

“There is no question that Peter and the Brethren knew that the law of Moses was fulfilled by Christ. The doctrinal question was settled [see Acts 15]: The law was not any longer a requirement for salvation now that Jesus had made the Atonement. Missionary work among the Gentile nations could go forth directly and without impediment.

“But there remained a conflict between culture and doctrine. The Brethren were clear on the matter, but the long-standing culture and tradition persisted among many Jewish members of the Church even after the doctrinal question had been settled. There is generally a lag between revelation and actual practice. Latter-day scripture leaves no doubt that the law of Moses was fulfilled in Christ (3 Ne. 15:4-5; Moro. 8:8; D&C 74), yet we see that the moderate decision of the council allowed it to linger among Jewish Christians.

“The account of the Jerusalem council in the book of Acts gives our present generation an informative model as to how both Church members and nonmembers react when revelation confronts tradition and long-standing custom. Only prophets could correctly handle the situation then. Only living prophets can do so now.” (Robert J. Matthews, Behold the Messiah, 309-10.)

“The letters of Paul make it absolutely clear that the law of Moses is fulfilled in the gospel of Christ and is no longer binding as a requirement for salvation. Thus most would consider this a ‘Christian’ doctrine. Yet in Acts 21:20 we read that James said to Paul, ‘Thou seest, brother, how many thousands of Jews there are which believe; and they are all zealous of the law.’ These believers were not thrown out of the Church, even though they did not yet understand the fundamental doctrine of how the law was fulfilled in Christ. On the contrary, James even suggested to Paul a public relations maneuver designed to soothe their Jewish-Christian sensibilities (Acts 21:23-24). Even though their doctrine was defective, they were still counted as ‘believers’ and tolerated, even coddled, in the Jerusalem Church…Paul, the champion of grace…put himself to great trouble for the sake of Jewish Christians whose doctrine was, in part, in conflict with his own?” (Stephen E. Robinson, Are Mormons Christians? 6 - 7.)

Elder Dean L. Larsen

“This loyalty to and affinity for programs that were an outgrowth of the ritualism and regimentation of the past proved to be a great obstacle to accepting the simple, basic principles of the gospel. For the converted Jews, whose lives had been so filled with the programmed requirements of the law and whose religious commitment had been demonstrated by their outward observance of these requirements, the religious life outlined by the gospel of Christ must have seemed very open and unregulated. It was not easy for them to leave the feeling of security provided in the total regimentation of the Jewish law. Obviously, they could not understand how the gentile Saints could possibly be trusted to develop any of the qualities prescribed by the new beliefs without the same set of regulations and programs to guide them and fill up their lives. (“Some Thoughts on Goal-Setting,” Ensign, Feb. 1981, 62)

Acts 22:6-16 The Conversion of Saul

Wouldn’t it be great if every enemy of the Church was by visited the Lord and commanded to repent? Many of the rebellious have required a sign of the Lord. They argue that they will not believe unless an angel appears unto them to tell them what to do. Yet, the persecutors have been rebuked by an angel in only two instances, that of Alma and Saul of Tarsus. The similarities are striking but there are also differences. Alma and his brethren should have known better. They were in a state of rebellion against parents, church, and God. On the other hand, Paul thought he was doing the Lord’s work. Always a zealot, he was trying to purge Judaism of the new threat brought on by the followers of Jesus. Yet, in both instances, the visitation causes a great change in the hearts of the persecutors. In a miraculous way, they became great missionaries for the Lord.

What does this tell us about such divine interventions? The Lord doesn’t send an angel to rebuke every rebellious soul because many of these would still not repent even if they saw an angel. The witness of the Holy Ghost is more powerful than the visitation of an angel. Heber J. Grant taught, “Many men say: ‘If I could only see an angel, if I could only hear an angel proclaim something, that would cause me to be faithful all the days of my life!’ It had no effect upon these men that were not serving the Lord, and it would have no effect today.” (Conference Reports, Apr. 1924, p. 159) An example of this is seen in the life of Lyman Johnson.

Lyman Johnson…reportedly apostatized after having seen an angel…‘I remember hearing President Snow say on more than one occasion,’ recalled Mathias Cowley, ‘how determined Lyman E. Johnson was to see an angel from the Lord. He plead [sic] with and teased the Lord to send an angel to him until he saw an angel; but President Snow said the trouble with him was that he saw an angel one day and saw the devil the next day, and finally the devil got away with him.’26” (FARMS, vol. 2, no. 2-Fall 1993, p. 171)

Hugh Nibley

Brigham Young said, ‘Pray that you never see an angel.’ He was talking historically. Almost everybody who saw an angel left the Church. They came back, but they had these terrible problems. It gave them inflated egos, etc. They thought they were somebody special. They were, but they couldn't take it. It would be very dangerous if we were exposed to the other world to any degree. Only people that are very humble can do that. Not us, we can't do that. We are not that humble.” (The Teachings of the Book of Mormon, Lecture 41, p.193)

Howard W. Hunter

“What is there in all of this that causes us to respect Paul as a man of vigorous practical judgment? Does his conversion differ from the conversion of other men? Let me point out to you that there were two factors in the awakening of the spirit of Paul. The first was revelation from on High, and the second was the vision which he witnessed. This brings me to the statement which I challenge to your consideration: Spiritual truths, those great truths that encompass man's relation to deity, come to the soul by a two-way process-revelation on the part of God, and vision on the part of man.

Religion has often been attacked on the ground that the truths it embraces are not demonstrable as are some of the truths of the sciences. This does not mean, however, that the truths in the field of religion are irrational. Spiritual truths are apprehended by spiritual reasoning which is a different faculty from logical understanding. My reasoning tells me that the whole is equal to the sum of all its parts-this seems to be intuitive. My spiritual reasoning tells me that because God is an exalted being, holy and good, that man's supreme goal is to be like him.

“Sometimes prejudices half close our eyes to spiritual truths and obscure them from our view. As we live the purer life, through faith and prayer, our eyes are opened wider. The Apostle defined faith as "seeing things not seen," that is, we see by the spirit those things not visible through natural light. We are told repeatedly in scripture that the Lord shall be unto each of us an everlasting light. Christ said:

“I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness but shall have the light of life. (John 8:12)

“This is the light that causes us to see. This is the light that caused Paul to see.

“Logical demonstration is not necessary for the spirit to understand spiritual truth. A scientific truth can be communicated by demonstration and a fact is communicated by testimony, but a spiritual truth is received to man through the light of vision to his soul by faith. For example, there are formulas in physics and in chemistry which men accept as scientific fact-as scientific truths. This is not so of spiritual truths, for here every man must see for himself. One man may doubt the existence of God and another the validity of prayer. Even though you may exert logical arguments for the efficacy of prayer and add cumulative evidence of the experiences of others, he still does not pray. But the time may come in the hour of some great distress or of great joy, perhaps as he paces back and forth in his room at midnight while in the hushed chamber above a struggle is impending between life and death for one he loves above all other things in life, or, perhaps in the moment of overwhelming joy as the crisis safely passes, his soul reaches out to God-behold, he prays! His faith has broken through the barrier which has held him prisoner in pride and unbelief.

“How grateful one should be who has been shown the way, whose eyes have been opened to the spiritual truths, who has caught the vision. Scripture is replete with instances which recall the visions which have come to men as God has revealed his will to them. Some men have held fast to the faith while others have waivered and fallen by the wayside of life.” (Elder Howard W. Hunter, BYU Speeches of the Year, 1960, pp. 5-6.)

Acts 22:28 the chief captain answered, With a great sum obtained I this freedom. And Paul said, But I was free born

David O. McKay

“I fancy that Paul straightened up when he said: ‘But I was free born!’ (See Acts 22:25-28.)

“I wonder if we freeborn Americans appreciate what it is to have the right to vote, to express by our vote our choice of those who are to rule over us. No, thank heaven, not to rule over us—to serve us in the service of the government. For you, the electorate, are the rulers in this great Republic.

“Those who have taken out their citizenship I think appreciate it even more than some of us who have it by birth.

“We have an election in November, in which you have the right to state who will fill the offices that are now to be filled in the nation, in the state, and in our local affairs. We ask, we plead that every member of the Church go to the polls in November and cast your vote for the men and women whom you wish to occupy the offices named. Now you choose, and choose wisely and prayerfully, but cast your vote.” (Conference Report, October 1956, Afternoon Meeting 124.)

Acts 23:11 Be of good cheer, Paul

Neal A. Maxwell

“When Paul was in jail after having borne his testimony before a powerful political group in Jerusalem, Jesus stood by and counseled him to ‘be of good cheer.’ Why? Had not Paul been struck on the mouth at Ananias's order? Were not forty Jews plotting his death? Did not his trial for sedition lie just ahead? And also Paul's shipwreck? Cheerfulness was possible because Paul had done well in his ministry in Jerusalem and now was ready for Rome, where he would also testify with great power and persuasive authority. Let the intervening, tactical tribulation come!

“This lesson about justifiable cheerfulness even amid perilous passages apparently had been driven home to Paul, for during his voyage to Rome, he assured his fearful shipmates that not one of them would lose their lives, though their ship would be lost. Therefore, He encouraged them to ‘be of good cheer’ in the midst of their anxieties, and his prophecy was fulfilled. (Acts 27:22)

“It remains for us, therefore, to be of good cheer even when…current circumstances seem hopeless…

“It may seem to some of us so very hard to cling to…reassuring and renewing realities when tribulations and difficulties press in upon us from all sides. But these are the realities to which we will—and should—finally cling in the moments of truth. Why not, therefore, said Jesus, profit from good cheer at the outset and throughout each day, rather than finally relying upon it anyway—but only after unneeded anxiety?” (Even As I Am, 100-101)

Bruce R. McConkie

“In his persecuted and straitened state, Paul needed comfort and assurance from on high. How shall such be given him? The Lord could have sent an angel; he could have spoken by the power of the Holy Spirit to the spirit within Paul; or he could have opened the heavens and let him see again the wonders of eternity. But this time—thanks to his valiant service, his unwearying devotion, his willingness to suffer even unto death in the Cause of Christ—this time Paul was blessed with the personal ministrations of the Lord of heaven himself. Jesus stood at his side. Without question much was said and much transpired, of which there has been preserved to us only the promise that the Lord's special apostle would yet bear witness of the Master in Rome.” (Bruce R. McConkie, Doctrinal New Testament Commentary, 2: 192.)

Neal A. Maxwell

“Jesus individualized during what could have seemed to others to be repeated experiences. He personalized his offer of living water to the woman of Samaria (see John 4:7-26). He stood by the jailed Apostle Paul, encouraging him ‘to be of good cheer’ (Acts 23:11). Each of those was an audience of only one!…Even though His course is ‘one eternal round’ (1 Ne. 10:19; D&C 3:2), as the plan of salvation is executed and re-executed, again and again, in realms beyond our purview, His love is constant and personal.” (“Wisdom and Order,” Ensign, June 1994, 41)

Acts 24:15 there shall be a resurrection of the dead, both of the just and unjust

James E. Faust

“Through the atonement and those singular events surrounding it, all of the terrible individual and collective sins of mankind were taken upon the Lord's shoulders. The marvelous result of this great suffering was that he was able to redeem from physical death the believers and the obedient as well as the unbelieving and disobedient. (D&C 46:13-14; Acts 24:15; 1 Cor. 15:22) Every person ever born or yet to be born is the beneficiary of both the mediation and the atonement of the Savior. (Alma 11:42.)” (Reach Up for the Light, 132.)

Joseph F. Smith

“The resurrection of the dead must of necessity be just as broad as was the curse that brought death into the world. Paul has said ‘For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive, but every man in his own order; Christ the first fruits; afterwards they that are Christ's at his coming. Then cometh the end. When he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father: when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power. For he must reign till he hath put all enemies under his feet. The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.’ From this we learn that the atonement reaches out and embraces every living creature in the resurrection. Just as long as one soul remains un-redeemed from mortal death and the grave, death has not been destroyed; therefore, every soul shall be ferreted out and receive the resurrection. Death shall be destroyed and immortality gain the victory (I Cor. 15:22-26.).

“Paul taught the resurrection of the dead, both the just and the unjust, (Acts 24:15) and the Son of God very emphatically declared that ‘All that were in the graves should hear his voice, and should come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life [that is eternal life] and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation’ (John 5:28:29). What is damnation? It is being barred, or denied privileges of progression, because of failure to comply with law. All who fail to enter into the celestial kingdom, are damned, or stopped, in their progression, but they will enter into some other glory which they are entitled to receive.

“The Lord does not delight in the punishment of men. He was kind enough to grant to each his freedom to merit blessings or punishment according to his free will or pleasure. It never was the intention of the Lord to destroy, in the sense of annihilation, any of the souls of his children. His great object was to save them all if they would freely partake of the blessings of salvation. As already expressed, the Lord declared that his great work and glory is ‘to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man.’ And that he created man, ‘that he might have joy.’ That his children might not be lost, or denied the great privilege for which they were created, the Lord prepared various degrees of glory so that each individual may enter into the kingdom of God to inherit that which he is entitled to receive. When the day of final reckoning comes, we shall discover that none of his children is lost save the very few who become ‘sons of perdition’…

“It is a very pleasing and consoling thing to know that the Lord will save all of his children, excepting the very few who willfully rebel against him. When his children have paid the penalty of their transgressions, they shall come forth from the clutches of the second death to receive a place somewhere in the great heavenly kingdom which is prepared with its several glories and degrees of salvation, for them.” (“Is Man Immortal?”, Improvement Era, 1916, Vol. Xix. March, 1916 No. 5.)

Acts 24:16 I…have always a conscience void of offence toward God, and toward men

Joseph B. Wirthlin

We see an example of individual peace amidst strife and contention in the life of the Prophet Joseph Smith. Near the end of his life, he was at the center of a whirlwind of turmoil and tribulation caused by devious associates, false accusations, and cunning plots against his life. Yet a few days before his death, he said, ‘I am calm as a summer’s morning; I have a conscience void of offense towards God, and towards all men.’ (D&C 135:4.) His inner peace sustained him through monumental adversities, even his own martyrdom.” (“Peace Within,” Ensign, May 1991, 36)

Alexander B. Morrison

“How noble are those who exhibit the moral courage to live by their adherence to a higher order of truth, whose souls will not be tarnished by the easy accommodation of an elastic conscience to a wicked and perverse world, who cannot live save by clinging to principle. To such celestial souls the conscience—devoid of offense toward God or man (Acts 24:16)—serves as a guide or guardian. Winston Churchill spoke of such: ‘The only guide to a man is his conscience; the only shield to his memory is the rectitude and sincerity of his actions. It is very imprudent to walk through life without this shield, because we are so often mocked by the failure of our hopes and the upsetting of our calculations; but with this shield, however the fates may play, we march always in the ranks of honor.’ (In Familiar Quotations, p. 744.)” (Feed My Sheep: Leadership Ideas for Latter-day Shepherds, 95.)

Lorenzo Snow

“Are we seeking to purify ourselves? How can a Latter-day Saint feel justified in himself unless he is seeking to purify himself even as God is pure—unless he is seeking to keep his conscience void of offense before God and man (see D&C 135:4) every day of his life. Many of us, walk from day to day and from week to week, and from month to month, before God, feeling under no condemnation, conducting ourselves properly, and seeking earnestly and in all meekness for the Spirit of God to dictate our daily course; and yet there may be a certain time or times in our life, when we are greatly tried and perhaps overcome; even if this be so, that is no reason why we should not try again, and that, too, with redoubled energy and determination to accomplish our object.” (“Blessings of the Gospel Only Obtained by Compliance of the Law,” Tambuli, Feb. 1979, 37)

Acts 25:11 I appeal unto Caesar

“Under Roman law, each citizen accused of crime had the right and privilege of being heard before the imperial seat. Authorities on Roman law assert that local magistrates had discretionary power where appeal was concerned. They could decide if the case warranted such a privilege where guilt was obvious and the crime of such enormity that a delay would thwart true justice.” (Institute Manual, The Life and Teachings of Jesus & his Apostles, 2nd ed., p. 341-2)

Bruce R. McConkie

“Falsely imprisoned, with no specific or substantial charge against him, Paul declines to go willingly back to Jerusalem, back to stand in jeopardy before the fanatical mob which had caused the crucifixion of his Lord. Instead, Roman citizen that he was, he appeals unto Caesar. And Caesar's Procurator decrees that unto Caesar shall Christ's apostle bow.

(Acts 25:2-22)

“But why? Why all this imprisonment? Why these repeated mock-like-trials before one ruler after another—all to no avail as far as freeing the innocent Paul is concerned. Why does not the Lord send an angel to deliver his apostle, as he did when Peter was imprisoned by Herod? (Acts 12:1-19.)

“Clearly it is the design of Deity to use Paul's imprisonment as the means of taking the testimony of Jesus to the great and the mighty of the world. The gospel is for the poor and for the privileged. It is to be ‘proclaimed by the weak and the simple unto the ends of the world, and before kings and rulers.’ (3D. & C. 1:23.)” (Doctrinal New Testament Commentary, 2:198)

Acts 26 Paul testifies before king Agrippa

Gene R. Cook

“There are things we can do that will help us to consistently have the Spirit of the Lord in our homes, especially during scripture reading time. And if we have that Spirit, both the parents and children can be touched, blessed, and changed—and each family member can be strengthened every day we read the words of the Lord together…If you use spiritual examples from your own life, you will invite the Spirit into your home and will help bring about the conversion of all present.

We see a classic example of this principle—and its power—in Paul's testimony to King Agrippa.” (Searching the Scriptures: Bringing Power to Your Personal and Family Study, 204-9, emphasis added)