What is Relief Society?

Wants2Know

the relief society is the church's women's organization. for all women (nonmembers are welcome to come and be part of it) 18 and up or teenage mothers. the idea behind allowing the teen mothers to join is that once you become a mother you enter a different stage in life. being a young mother you need advise and support from others that "have been there", so they join with other mothers rather than staying with the teen group that has a different focus for life.

the formal things it does..... the RS (relief society) pres plays a major part in the church humanitarian efforts; gathering things for donation to be shipped off, helping to get food and other necessities to local families that are in need, etc. all specific local help is kept very confidential.

in my mind the biggest thing it does is provides opportunities for the women to socialize, get support, and learn from other women. in my case i live in a small town, most women work, i have several small children. my opportunities to get out with other women and socialize and get support and just not be mommy for awhile are limited. without RS those opportunities would be close to non existent. so yes i enjoy it.

we are also organized to be responsible for each other a bit more formally though the visiting teaching (vt) program. the goal behind it is that once a month the sisters will visit eachother and share a message, find out if there is anything they need help with, socialize, etc. if there is a local emergency (say storm comes through) then they are to contact eachother, make sure they are all safe, have power, clean water, food, normal concerns after something big. if there are any needs it gets reported back to the rs pres who then organizes what is needed to assist them.

I enjoy it very much and I don't even attend the Relief Society class on Sunday because I teach in Primary. To me Relief Society is a fellowship of women dedicated to helping each other. Sometimes this means letting us know that they are there if we need them and offering occasional nights where we can get together and learn and have an enjoyable evening. Sometimes it means help when everything is going wrong in our lives.

Even though I don't attend the Relief Society class and have a pretty busy schedule, I love knowing that there is this network of loving women that I can always rely on.