Day 27 September 5 - I Corinthians 10-15

Jesus Christ is Our Rock - The Rock of All Ages

"Rock of Ages" (Hymn number 111 in our hymn books)

For thou art my rock and my fortress; therefore for thy name’s sake lead me, and guide me. - Psalm 31:3

From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I. - Psalm 61:2

Scripture Reference: 1 Corinthians 10:1-4

1 Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea;

2 And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea;

3 And did all eat the same spiritual meat;

4 And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.

I would like to share some excerpts from the farewell Sacrament talk that I gave to the congregation of the Keflavic Iceland Military Branch on Sabbath Day morning, 31 January 1999 (10 months after my baptism on 10 March 1998). This talk was delivered at the LDS Chapel in Reykjavik Iceland. The talk was entitled "Our Rock - The Rock Of All Ages".

Jesus Christ who was known in the Old Testament times as Jehovah was given the figurative title of the Rock by many of the prophetic writers. In a simple statement, Moses wrote in Deuteronomy 32:4, “He is the Rock. . .” The Psalmist in Psalm 18:31 asks a question, “For who is God save the LORD? Or who is a rock save our God?” Then in Psalm 62:7 the Psalmist exclaims that “In God is my salvation and my glory: the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God.” David exalts in 2 Samuel 22:1-4 that “. . .the LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; The God of my rock; in him will I trust: he is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my high tower, and my refuge, my saviour. . .” In the New Testament, the Apostle Paul explained to the Corinthian Saints that Moses and the Israelites “. . .did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.” (See 1 Corinthians 10:1-4).

All of these expressions are intended to demonstrate that the Lord has many of the same characteristics as a rock. A rock is thought to be immoveable, steadfast, and sure. It serves as a foundation for building structures, is towering and monumental, and is unchangeable – the same throughout the ages. I would like to take a brief look at three of the characteristics of Our Rock.

Characteristics of Our Rock:

First, Our Rock is a following rock. The Psalmist tells us that once in the desert they were perishing for want of water, they simply gathered in a little circle upon the burning sands and with their staves dug a little well in the sand, and lifted up their voices to God in songs of praise. Immediately the waters sprang up from the depths below and overflowed again. In the same way, Our Rock sends His fountains of living water all along our way and although the deserts of life may be all around us and the wells at times may all seem dry, our faith has only to make room and lift up a song of praise even in the hottest desert, and immediately the living waters will spring forth.

Second, Our Rock is a sheltering rock. This is the rock of which the Psalmist cried, ‘. . . .lead me to the rock that is higher than I” (Psalm 61:2). A little rock will not provide much shelter from the sweltering heat. It only intensifies the heat that it has absorbed; but a great rock drinks in the warm rays in one side, and on the other provides a cooling shadow for the traveler that rests under its overshadowing cliffs. Christ is the shadow of a great rock. He is always at our call. No matter what problems or difficulties we may face in life, He is always ready to comfort us, to shelter us from the storms of life, and to give us sweet peace and rest. His love for us is infinite. He loves each one of us as if we were the only ones in the entire world that require His comfort and rest.

Third, Our Rock is a foundation rock. It is a place to build upon. It is the resting-place of faith and hope. There trust finds its full assurance as it leans upon the promise, “He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life. . . .” (See John 3:36). There hope anchors all her cables as she commits all her destinies, her affections and her treasures to this immoveable rock and cries, “. . . .I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day” (See 2 Timothy 1:12). The mountains will depart and the hills will be removed, but Our Rock will remain unshaken and immovable throughout the ages.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Elder Bruce R. McConkie taught us:

If we build our house of salvation on the rock of personal revelation; if we build it on the revealed reality that Jesus is the Lord; if we build it on him who is the eternal rock – it will stand forever. If we are guided by the spirit of inspiration while here in mortality, we will be able to withstand all the floods and storms that beat upon us. If we are founded upon a rock, we worship the Father in the name of the Son by the power of the Holy Ghost.

If we are founded upon a rock, we know that salvation comes by the grace of God to those who believe the gospel and keep the commandments. If we are founded upon a rock, we forsake the world, flee from the carnal things, and live upright and Godly lives.

If we are founded upon a rock, the gates of hell shall not prevail against us. As long as we remain in our house of faith we shall be preserved when the rains of evil fall, when the winds of false doctrine blow, and when the floods of carnality beat upon us.

[From the Sermons and Writings of Bruce R. McConkie, Part 2: The Mission of the Holy Ghost, Chapter 6: The Holy Ghost Reveals Christ]

** Sidenote: Elder Bruce R. McConkie was the uncle of my Stake President (Annapolis Maryland Stake), President Pace Jefferson McConkie.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

We must build our foundation upon the Rock, and that Rock is Jesus Christ our Lord

I will liken one of my favorite Scriptures from the Book of Mormon found in Helaman 5:12 unto us and read it thus, ". . . .remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that [we] must build [our] foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon [us], it shall have no power over [us] to drag [us] down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which [we] are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall.”

Edited by KeithLBrown

1 Cor. 10:13 God…will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able

Bishop H. Burke Petersen

“Did you get the significance of that scriptural promise—we will have no temptation or trial beyond our ability to overcome—He will provide a way for us to rise above—whatever it may be.

“May I suggest the best way I know to keep close to the source of this great strength is through prayer. No man can stand alone in his struggle through life. Sometimes in discouragement our prayers, at best, become occasional or maybe not at all. Sometimes we forget or just don't care. Brigham Young once said, 'Prayer keeps man from sin, and sin keeps man from prayer.'” (LDS Church News, 1995, 08/05/95)

Joseph B. Wirthlin

“You young people face the same temptations that have been common throughout history, plus many others that were unknown to earlier generations. However, be sure you understand that God will not allow you to be tempted beyond your ability to resist. (See 1 Cor. 10:13.) He does not give you challenges that you cannot surmount. He will not ask more than you can do, but may ask right up to your limits so you can prove yourselves. The Lord will never forsake or abandon anyone. You may abandon him, but he will not abandon you. You never need to feel that you are alone.” (“Running Your Marathon,” Ensign, Nov. 1989, 75)

Neal A. Maxwell

“…the storm fronts that come into our lives will not last forever. We can surmount the drifts of difficulties and we can hold out if we maintain our perspective and faith. But while we are in the midst of all these things, the experiences that can be for our long-term good are very, very real. We may feel that such are simply more than we can bear. Yet if we have faith in an all-knowing and all-loving God, we understand He will not give us more than we can bear.” (Even As I Am [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1982], 102)

Neal A. Maxwell

“Some men may justify sin by saying the level of temptation and trial they experience is unavoidable or that it is beyond their ability to cope with it. However, we have the double assurance of Paul writing on one continent and Alma on another, that there is nothing in the mathematics of life to excuse us when we sin: ’. . . but God . . . will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.’ (1 Corinthians 10:13.)

’Pray continually, that ye may not be tempted above that which ye can bear. . . .’ ("Alma 13:28Alma 13:28.)

“Prayerful people will not be pressed beyond their limits, although, as C. S. Lewis observed, some of us quit or surrender just before the relief column comes into sight. We can, and often do, of course, dig pits for ourselves and burn the escape ladder; but such irrationality is of our own willful doing—not God's!” (A Time to Choose [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1972], 56.)

1 Cor. 10:13 God…will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it

Vaughn J. Featherstone

“What does it mean to ‘make a way to escape’? This life provides an opportunity for us to use our agency. It appears…that there will be a special testing for those who will walk in high places. The testing may well be unique to us. And, of course, the greatest trials we face have to do with the things we love the most—our families, our church, our religion, our leaders, our country, and our friends. These things have the potential of hurting us most…Many of us feel that we have been refined in the Lord's crucible more often than we would want, had we a choice. It is not easy to be between the hammer and the anvil. But we must remember always what Paul said: ‘[God] will with the temptation make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.’ It is my opinion that this same principle applies to tests and trials we face. They will never be greater than we can withstand.

“We find how resilient our souls are. We find out how far we can bend and still not break. The Lord knows us better than we know ourselves, and He is constantly molding us to the grand design of His great expectation and divine destiny. We will always come through testings as a more valued human soul. Each trial brings out the ‘steel and velvet’ in us, as someone has said. Our commitment to the absolute truths of the gospel puts a steel in us that can endure tremendous pressure. On the other hand, the suffering brings about a velvet softness, a Christ-like charity. Suffering or testing, trials or troubles, sinsickness or soulsickness—all take us through our own personal issue of tears.” (The Incomparable Christ: Our Master and Model [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1995], 135-136.)

Neal A. Maxwell

“…when we are finally judged in terms of our performance in this second estate, we will see that God indeed is likewise perfect in His justice and mercy. We will also see that when we fail here it will not be because we have been tempted above that which we are able to bear. We would find that there is always an escape hatch were we to look for it—or we would also find that were we to call upon it, the grace of God would give us the capacity to endure and to bear up well.

“We will also see that our lives have been fully and fairly measured. In retrospect, we will even see that our most trying years here will often have been our best years, producing large tree rings on our soul, Gethsemanes of growth!” (All These Things Shall Give Thee Experience [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1979], 48.)

Neal A. Maxwell

“As to our circumstances, the Lord has promised He will either make a way to escape or a way to bear adversity (1 Corinthians 10:13). As to temptation, most of the time there is an obvious way to escape, but prevention—not being enticed in the first place—is more sure and is part of having sufficient faith.” (Not My Will, But Thine [salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1998], 75.)

1 Cor. 11:3 the head of the woman is the man

A divine organization as important as the human family must be organized in a divine fashion. The Lord would no more create the family with two heads than he would create an elephant with two heads. Such an organizational structure just doesn’t make any sense. The Lord created the man as the head of the family. This concept is not threatening to faithful women. While they know that the husband is the head, they confidently assume their place as the neck—knowing that the neck often turns the head whichever way it wants.

Paul’s other writings on this subject are particularly enlightening:

‘Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord

For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.

Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.

Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it’ (Eph. 5:25)

Rodney Turner noted, “Obviously, a wife's righteous submission to her husband should stem from her husband's righteous submission to Christ. When this occurs, a divine triangle exists with Christ at its apex. Husband and wife are one flesh with each other because they have become one flesh with Christ. This is the foundation of all eternal unions.” (Robert L. Millet, ed., Studies in Scripture, Vol. 6: Acts to Revelation [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1987], 117 - 118.)

When husbands love their wives ‘even as Christ…loved the church,’ wives never complain about the arrangement. Indeed, the world’s most raging feminist would gladly submit herself to her husband if only she were treated with the love, compassion, empathy, sensitivity, and sacrifice with which Christ has treated the church. Unfortunately, so many Brethren fail to live up to this ideal. As President Kimball once said, “I mention all these things, my brethren, not because the doctrines or the teachings of the Church regarding women are in any doubt, but because in some situations our behavior is of doubtful quality” (Ensign, Nov. 1979, p. 49).

Harold B. Lee

“I fear some husbands have interpreted erroneously the statement that the husband is to be the head of the house and that his wife is to obey the law of her husband. Brigham Young's instruction to husbands was this: ‘Let the husband and father learn to bend his will to the will of his God, and then instruct his wives and children in this lesson of self-government by his example as well as by his precept.’ (Discourses of Brigham Young, Deseret Book Co., 1925, pp. 306-307.)

“This is but another way of saying that the wife is to obey the law of her husband only as he obeys the laws of God. No woman is expected to follow her husband in disobedience to the commandments of the Lord.” (Ye Are the Light of the World: Selected Sermons and Writings of Harold B. Lee [salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 1974], chap. 34.)

James E. Faust

“The priesthood places upon the fathers the responsibility of being the head of the family and the home. What does being the head of the family mean? It is a priesthood power, and the Doctrine and Covenants, D&C 121, makes it clear that all priesthood responsibilities must be exercised ‘only by persuasion,. . . by gentleness and meekness, and by love unfeigned’ (D&C 121:41). Holding the priesthood does not mean that a man is a power-broker, or that he sits on a throne, dictating in macho terms, or that he is superior in any way. Rather, he is a leader by authority of example. Paul's counsel to the Ephesians included, ‘Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it’ (Eph. 5:25). As Christ lifts us all, so must we, rather than put down women or anyone.

“Nowhere does the doctrine of this Church declare that men are superior to women. Paul said to the Corinthians, ‘Nevertheless neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord’ (1 Cor. 11:11). Each brings his or her own separate and unique strengths to the family and the Church. Women are not just cooks, stewards of our homes, or servants. They are much more. They are the enrichment of humanity.” ("The Highest Place of Honor," Ensign, May 1988, 36.)

Hugh B. Brown

“Both priesthood and motherhood, if they are to be honored and magnified, must bear the hallmark of service—service sanctified and glorified by love. Hence, neither the man nor the woman should envy the role of the other, but recognize it as a counterpart and complement of their own rule. We must go forward hand in hand and heart to heart as we face the challenging but glorious responsibilities of life.” (Continuing the Quest [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1961], 6 - 7.)

Gordon B. Hinckley

“God bless you, my beloved sisters. Please know that you are deeply appreciated. Please know that your place in the divine plan is no less important, no less great, and no less necessary than that of men. Paul has said, ‘Neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord.’ (1 Cor. 11:11.)

“Count your wonderful blessings. Do not worry away your lives with concerns over ‘rights,’ so-called, but move forward, concerned with responsibilities and opportunities. Your potential is limitless. You are daughters of God, endowed by inheritance with marvelous gifts and immeasurable potential. Accept the challenge. Go forward with confidence in the knowledge that the differences you face are not those which come of discrimination so much as those which come of designation.” (“Ten Gifts from the Lord,” Ensign, Nov. 1985, 89)

1 Cor. 11:5 every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head

Bruce R. McConkie

“In connection with these basic gospel principles, Paul comments on local customs and traditions, for instance, that a woman should have her head covered when she prays or prophesies, lest she be as though her head were shaven, which according to local custom would identify her as an adulteress. In the eternal sense it is wholly immaterial whether a woman wears a hat or is bare—headed when she prays. In Paul's day the bare head was irreverent; in ours reverence and respect are shown by removing the hat. In other words, gospel principles are eternal, and it is wise to adhere to the passing customs which signify adherence to that course which adds to rather than detracts from the great and important revealed truths.” (Doctrinal New Testament Commentary, 3 vols. [salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1965-1973], 2: 361.)

1 Cor. 11:11 neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord

“The marriage sanctioned by God provides men and women with the opportunity to fulfill their divine potentials. 'Neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord' (1 Cor. 11:11). Husbands and wives are unique in some ways and free to develop their eternal gifts, yet as coequals in the sight of their heavenly parents they are one in the divine goals they pursue, in their devotion to eternal principles and ordinances, in their obedience to the Lord, and in their divine love for each other. When a man and woman who have been sealed together in a temple are united spiritually, mentally, emotionally, and physically, taking full responsibility for nurturing each other, they are truly married. Together they strive to emulate the prototype of the heavenly home from which they came. The Church teaches them to complement, support, and enrich one another. . . . If a husband and wife are faithful to their temple marriage, they will continue as co-creators in God's celestial kingdom through the eternities.” (Encyclopedia of Mormonism, 4 vols., Daniel H. Ludlow, ed. [New York: Macmillan, 1992], 2:487.)

Gordon B. Hinckley

President Joseph F. Smith once declared ‘that no man can be saved and exalted in the kingdom of God without the woman, and no woman can reach perfection and exaltation in the kingdom of God, alone. … God instituted marriage in the beginning…’ (In Conference Report, April 1913, p. 118.)

“Surely no one reading the scriptures, both ancient and modern, can doubt the divine concept of marriage. The sweetest feelings of life, the most generous and satisfying impulses of the human heart, find expression in a marriage that stands pure and unsullied above the evil of the world.

“Such a marriage, I believe, is the desire—the hoped-for, the longed-for, the prayed-for desire—of men and women everywhere. ("What God Hath Joined Together," Ensign, May 1991, p. 71.)

Dallin H. Oaks

“The ultimate and highest expression of womanhood and manhood is in the new and everlasting covenant of marriage between a man and a woman. Only this relationship culminates in exaltation. As the Apostle Paul taught, ‘Neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord.’ (1 Cor. 11:11.) Thus, the common objective of brotherhood in our priesthood quorums and sisterhood in our Relief Societies is to bring men and women together in the sacred marriage and family relationships that lead toward eternal life, ‘the greatest of all the gifts of God.’ (D&C 14:7.)” (“The Relief Society and the Church,” Ensign, May 1992, 37)

Harold B. Lee

“Someone spoke a profound truth when he said, ‘No man can live piously, or die righteously without a wife.’ Even God himself said, ‘It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an helpmeet for him.’ (Gen. 2:18.) The apostle Paul’s statement had broader meaning than some have interpreted it, when he declared: ‘Nevertheless neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord.’ (1 Cor. 11:11.) He was teaching the great truth that only in holy wedlock for time and eternity, in the new and everlasting covenant, can the man and woman attain to the highest privilege in the celestial world, but he may likewise have been stressing the great need of a husband and a wife for each other in this world.

“In defining the relationship of a wife to her husband, the late President George Albert Smith put it this way: ‘In showing this relationship, by a symbolic representation, God didn’t say that woman was to be taken from a bone in the man’s head that she should rule over him, nor from a bone in his foot that she should be trampled under his feet, but from a bone in his side to symbolize that she was to stand by his side, to be his companion, his equal, and his helpmeet in all their lives together.’” (“Maintain Your Place As a Woman,” Ensign, Feb. 1972, 50)

John A. Widstoe

“The place of woman in the Church is to walk beside the man, not in front of him nor behind him.

“In the Church there is full equality between man and woman. The gospel, which is the only concern of the Church was devised by the Lord for men and women alike…The Lord loves His daughters as well as He loves His sons…The highest attainable glory cannot be won by man or woman alone. Only those who are united, as husband and wife, by the sealing power, can attain exaltation in the celestial glory in the hereafter. ‘Neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord.’ (1 Cor. 11:11) And provision will be made for the righteous who live unmarried to receive the sealing blessing in the hereafter, through vicarious work performed in our temples.

“…There can be no question in the Church of man's rights versus woman's rights. They have the same and equal rights.” (Evidences and Reconciliations [salt Lake City: Improvement Era], 305.)

Spencer W. Kimball

“My beloved sisters…with all our hearts, we love and appreciate you! We respect you, we honor you, and we need you. ‘Neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord’ (1 Cor. 11:11). We rejoice in your righteousness and the influence for good you have as individuals, wives, mothers, and grandmothers. We appreciate the faithful and devoted single sisters who do not yet enjoy a fulness of family life. The Lord loves you, for you are some of the most noble spirits of our Father in Heaven. If you continue faithful and true, no eternal blessing will one day be denied you.” (“Learn—Then Teach,” Ensign, Nov. 1980, 102)

1 Cor. 12:9 the Gift of Faith

Have you ever met a member who never doubts anything? They can’t be rattled by doctrinal problems; they can’t be rattled by anti-Mormon literature; and they can’t be dissuaded from a firm testimony of the truth. They won’t even allow themselves to become worried about the arguments of the intellectuals, atheists, or devil’s advocates. Many of these individuals are born with an innate and unshakeable faith. Such faith is not blind faith, as many suppose, but rather a gift of the Spirit.

For those of us not so inclined, there is still hope. This can be one of the gifts after which we earnestly seek, allowing it to grow as Alma has instructed (Alma 32).

Heber J. Grant

“I am grateful that from the time I was a child until the present I have been blessed with the gift of faith, which is a gift from God. I recall many things as a young man I did not understand, and could not comprehend, yet which I believed and believed firmly.” (Conference Report, April 1935, First Day—Morning Meeting 7 - 8.)

Neal A. Maxwell

“Faith is a gift, of course, and reason, by itself, cannot lead man out of the apparent maze. Man does not understand the mind of God and his timetable; nor do we have his perspective. The gift of faith, then, often gives form to what has been called ‘tacit knowledge,’ that form of knowledge that lies just below the level of the individual's powers of articulation, which whispers things to him that are true but which are difficult to share and can seldom be put in persuasive form for the ears of others. Nevertheless, without the gift of faith or the perspective-giving insights of the gospel, man's reason will sweep him into sadness and cynicism.” (For the Power is in Them…, 18)

Lorenzo Snow

’To one is given faith.’ Not a common, ordinary faith, which some people pretend to at the present day; but a faith which enables its possessors to be sawn asunder, to be cast into dens of lions, fiery furnaces, and to undergo tortures of every description. This was the kind of faith that the Holy Ghost conferred upon those who possessed it, enabling its possessor to stand in the midst of every difficulty, defy every opposition and lay down his life, if necessary.” (Journal of Discourses, 26 vols. [London: Latter-day Saints' Book Depot, 1854-1886], 14: 304.)

Have you ever met a member who never doubts anything? They can’t be rattled by doctrinal problems; they can’t be rattled by anti-Mormon literature; and they can’t be dissuaded from a firm testimony of the truth. They won’t even allow themselves to become worried about the arguments of the intellectuals, atheists, or devil’s advocates. Many of these individuals are born with an innate and unshakeable faith. Such faith is not blind faith, as many suppose, but rather a gift of the Spirit.

I've always felt that I personally fall into this category. I can't ever remember a time in my life that I have ever doubted; even when thrown all the anti statements and comments of the world at me. For that I am grateful.

1 Cor. 12:30 covet earnestly the best gifts

Carlos E. Asay

“I find it significant that God has given us more than a casual invitation to obtain spiritual gifts. There are seven very pointed and command-like statements that remind us of the absolute necessity to seek these gifts. In a sense, God has given us a commission to seek, a requirement to obtain, and a responsibility to share these spiritual gifts. Study the following declarations and notice the words italicized; each is strong and each denotes action on our part:

1. Seek ye earnestly the best gifts’ (D&C 46:8).

2. Lay hold upon every good gift’ (Moroni 10:30).

3. Covet earnestly the best gifts’ (1 Corinthians 12:31) (in this context, ‘covet earnestly’ means ‘ardently desire’).

4. Desire spiritual gifts’ (1 Corinthians 14:1).

5. ‘[be] zealous of spiritual gifts’ (1 Corinthians 14:12) (‘zealous’ means enthusiastic in this case).

6. ‘This is thy gift; apply unto it, and blessed art thou’ (D&C 8:4).

7. Ask of God, who giveth liberally. . . . He that asketh in the Spirit, asketh according to the will of God’ (D&C 46:7, "D&C 46:30).

“The injunction is to ‘seek earnestly,’ ‘lay hold upon,’ ‘covet earnestly,’ ‘desire,’ ‘be zealous of,’ ‘apply unto it,’ and ‘ask of God.’ It isn't a proposition of, ‘If you have the time, do it,’ or, ‘If you have the inclination, try it.’ It isn't that at all. We are commanded to seek and cultivate gifts of the Spirit!” (In the Lord's Service: A Guide to Spiritual Development [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1990], 124.)

Bruce R. McConkie

“We are commanded to seek the gifts of the Spirit; if we do not do so, we are not walking in that course which is pleasing to Him whose gifts they are…Why, for what purpose, and to whom are the gifts given? ‘Verily I say unto you, they are given for the benefit of those who love me and keep all my commandments, and him that seeketh so to do; that all may be benefited that seek or that ask of me, that ask and not for a sign that they may consume it upon their lusts.’ It is inherent in the whole plan of righteousness that those who seek the gifts of the Spirit do so for their own salvation and for the glory of God, and not for lustful and selfish and worldly reasons.

And again, verily I say unto you, I would that ye should always remember, and always retain in your minds what those gifts are, that are given unto the church.’ (D&C 46:7-10.) Truly all of the Lord's saints should seek him, should seek his Spirit, should seek his gifts. Where these gifts are, there is the true and saving gospel, and where they are not, there is no hope of salvation.” A New Witness for the Articles of Faith [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1985], 370.)

1 Cor. 13:2 though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing

Charity is the supreme attribute of divinity. It is the underlying principle of both the first and second commandments (Matt 22:36-40). It is the last and greatest of Peter’s list of divine qualities (2 Pet. 1:7). Mormon declared that ‘whoso is found possessed of it at the last day, it shall be well with him’ (Moroni 7:47). It is the embodiment of divinity, for as John said, ‘God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him’ (1 John 4:16). If we are to become like God, we must develop this quality as well as all the others. Otherwise, we have failed and are “nothing” as Paul said.

Imagine for a moment what would have happened to humanity of God the Father and Jesus Christ had no charity. ‘God so loved the world that he sent his only begotten Son’ (John 3:16). What if he didn’t love us enough to send his Son? And what of Jesus’ love for us? It has been said that it was not the nails which held Jesus on the cross but his love for us. Indeed, he had the power to stop his own suffering at any time. But the Savior ‘loved the world, even unto the laying down of [his] life for the world, that [he] mightest take it again to prepare a place for the children of men.’ As Moroni prayed, ‘And now I know that this love which thou hast had for the children of men is charity’ (Ether 12:33-34). It is frightening to contemplate where we would be without the love of God the Father and God the Son. We would of necessity become the property of Satan, ‘our spirits must have become like unto him, and we become devils, angels to a devil, to be shut out from the presence of our God, and to remain with the father of lies in misery’ (2 Ne. 9:9). Jeffrey R. Holland explained it this way:

“It is that charity—his pure love for us—without which we would be nothing, hopeless, of all men and women most miserable… But the ‘pure love of Christ’ Mormon spoke of is precisely that—Christ's love. With that divine gift, that redeeming bestowal, we have everything; without it we have nothing and ultimately are nothing, except in the end ‘devils [and] angels to a devil.’ (2 Ne 9:9)” (Christ And The New Covenant, p. 336 – 337)

Therefore, if we are to become as the Master, we must master this concept. As Elder Marion D. Hanks noted: “The major source of our self-image should be our Heavenly Father, whose children we are, in whose image we are made, whose attributes and qualities we have within us in embryo. He it is who loved us so much that he sent his Only Begotten Son to show us the way and to die for us. We are his children, worthy of love, and we have in us the capacity to love. We must learn to love even as we are loved by him.” (Conference Report, April 1968, Second Day—Morning Meeting 58 - 59.)

“A paraphrase: And though I attend all my meetings faithfully, and fulfill all my callings, and make a home teaching visit during the first week of the month; and though in all ways I am an active Church member, yet if I do not spend time in love and service for others, then I am not yet a Saint, for I do not yet love the Lord with all my heart, might, mind, and strength; and I do not love my neighbor as myself.” (Orson Scott Card, “Sunday Meetings: A Preparation for Work,” Ensign, Jan. 1978, 63)

H. Burke Peterson

“We have been taught in other scripture that no matter how great and significant our mortal accomplishments, no matter how much was accomplished under our hand—as a bishop, a clerk, a president, a teacher, or a parent—unless we learn to exhibit charity, we are nothing. (See 1 Cor. 13:1–3.) All our good deeds will not weigh in our favor if charity is lacking.” (“Our Responsibility to Care for Our Own,” Ensign, May 1981, 81)

Heber Iverson

“In comparison with this wonderful power, charity or love—these accomplishments here mentioned pale into insignificance. Qualified, and endowed with these rare [spiritual] gifts we naturally conclude, one must of necessity be a most powerful preacher; he can speak with the tongues of men and the eloquence of angels; he understands all mysteries, and has all knowledge and faith so that he could remove mountains. But he lacks one thing, and that is the vitalizing force which is the secret of his power. And what is that? It is that supreme love which the Savior describes in the following words: ‘Except a man is willing to leave father and mother, houses and lands, wives and children, and all for my sake and the gospel's, he is unworthy of me.’

“It is that love of God, which overshadows and transcends the love of everything else in the world whether it be personal glory and honor, wealth or fame. It matters not what it may be, there is no love in his heart equaling his love of God. That is the source of his power; and possessed of that, his words are irresistible, and his power will redound to the honor and glory of God and the salvation of his children.” (Conference Report, April 1921, Afternoon Session 60 - 61.)

Gordon B. Hinckley

“Love of God is basic. It is the very foundation of true worship. It puts heart and soul and spirit into our lives. It subdues arrogance and conceit and greed. It leads to love for all of God's creations. It leads to obedience to the second great commandment, love of neighbor. In the world in which we now live, that love of neighbor finds expression not only in Christian acts of charity and kindness to those in need, but in a larger sense includes a sacred regard for the environment in which all men as neighbors across the earth must live.” ("A Unique and Wonderful University," BYU 1988-89 Devotional and Fireside Speeches, October 11, 1988, p. 51.)

1 Cor. 13:4 Charity…vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up

“To vaunt is to proudly call attention to our possessions, our accomplishments, our associations, or our righteousness…One of the most serious forms of ‘vaunting’ is the sin of pride. ‘Pride is a `my will` rather than `thy will` approach to life,’ says President Ezra Taft Benson. ‘The opposite of pride is humbleness, meekness, submissiveness (see Alma 13:28), or teachableness. … With pride, there are many curses. With humility, there come many blessings.’ (Ensign, May 1986, pp. 6–7.)

“We may vaunt ourselves in other ways. If we interrupt someone or whisper during a meeting, class, or performance, we may convey disrespect for what others are saying or doing. If we are late for an appointment, we may show that we consider our time or other activities more important.

“We also vaunt ourselves if we take credit for what we haven’t earned. Some people blame God when things go badly in their lives and take the credit when things go well, overlooking the fact that their talents, skills, and possessions are gifts from the Lord.

“The scriptures say that ‘in nothing doth man offend God, or against none is his wrath kindled, save those who confess not his hand in all things.’ (D&C 59:21.) True humility comes when we acknowledge our dependence on him in every act—indeed, in every breath.

“Such humility encourages us to follow the Savior’s example of love and service to others. President Spencer W. Kimball exemplified this philosophy. Just after he was sustained as President of the Church in April 1974, he attended a family dinner. Noticing a security guard in a parked car in front of the house, President Kimball filled a plate and took it out to the officer. (See Ensign, Mar. 1975, p. 6.) Despite his busy schedule, President Kimball did not consider himself too important to serve others; on the contrary, he saw his new position as an opportunity to serve.

“As we learn to recognize the Lord’s love for us and our dependence on him, to feel gratitude for the blessings he gives us, and to focus on serving others, we will learn charity, which, the Apostle Paul said, ‘vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up.’ (1 Cor. 13:4; see also Moro. 7:45.) We will then want to do as Ammon did, when he said, ‘I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things.’ (Alma 26:12.)” (“Charity Vaunteth Not Itself, Is Not Puffed Up” Ensign, Mar. 1988, 53)

1 Cor. 13:13 now abideth faith, hope, charity

“If our lives are devoid of the vital gifts of faith, hope, and charity, we should earnestly examine ourselves and our relationship with our Father in Heaven. We should pray for those essential gifts earnestly, because acquiring them is crucial to our eternal salvation. Indeed, to have charity is to have acquired a quality vital to salvation, the Apostle Paul implies, while to lack it is to have nothing of eternal significance (See 1 Cor. 13:1–8).” (Arthur R. Bassett, “I Have a Question,” Ensign, Mar. 1994, 52)

Elaine L. Jack

“These three good friends—faith, hope, and charity—become stronger because of their association with each other. Perhaps what is most important about them is that they exist together. The charitable woman is also the hopeful, faithful woman. Hence, when a woman loses hope, she will also lose faith and charity.

“This is a major connection. I have known women who have let go of hope yet claimed to maintain faith. It appears from the interlacing of these qualities that if we lack one, we will soon lack the others. Let us cling to our faith, our hope, and our charity, remembering that upon this trio hangs our well-being, now and forever.” (“A Perfect Brightness of Hope,” Ensign, Mar. 1992, 12)

Russell M. Nelson

“Hope and faith are commonly connected to charity. Why? Because hope is essential to faith; faith is essential to hope; faith and hope are essential to charity. They support one another like legs on a three-legged stool. All three relate to our Redeemer.” (“A More Excellent Hope,” Ensign, Feb. 1997, 61)

M. Russell Ballard

“The Apostle Paul taught that three divine principles form a foundation upon which we can build the structure of our lives. They are faith, hope, and charity. (See 1 Cor. 13:13.) Together they give us a base of support like the legs of a three-legged stool. Each principle is significant within itself, but each also plays an important supporting role. Each is incomplete without the others. Hope helps faith develop. Likewise true faith gives birth to hope. When we begin to lose hope, we are faltering also in our measure of faith. The principles of faith and hope working together must be accompanied by charity, which is the greatest of all. According to Mormon, ‘charity is the pure love of Christ, and it endureth forever.’ (Moro. 7:47.) It is the perfect manifestation of our faith and hope.

“Working together, these three eternal principles will help give us the broad eternal perspective we need to face life’s toughest challenges, including the prophesied ordeals of the last days. Real faith fosters hope for the future; it allows us to look beyond ourselves and our present cares. Fortified by hope, we are moved to demonstrate the pure love of Christ through daily acts of obedience and Christian service.” (M. Russell Ballard, “The Joy of Hope Fulfilled,” Ensign, Nov. 1992, 33)

1 Cor. 14:5 I would…rather that ye prophesied

Dallin H. Oaks

“When we hear the word prophet in our day, we are accustomed to thinking of the prophet. These words signify him who holds the prophetic office and is sustained as the prophet, seer, and revelator. The priesthood offices and powers exercised by the President of the Church are unique. As we learn in the Doctrine and Covenants, it is given to him to have ‘all the gifts of God which he bestows upon the head of the church.’ (D&C 107:92; see also D&C 46:29; D&C 50:26–28.)

“The spiritual gift of prophecy is quite different. As we read in the Book of Revelation, ‘The testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.’ (Rev. 19:10.) The Prophet Joseph Smith relied on this scripture in teaching that ‘every other man who has the testimony of Jesus’ is a prophet. (Teachings, p. 119.) Similarly, the Apostle Paul states that ‘he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.’ (1 Cor. 14:3.) Thus, in the sense used in speaking of spiritual gifts, a prophet is one who testifies of Jesus Christ, teaches God’s word, and exhorts God’s people. In its scriptural sense, to prophesy means much more than to predict the future.

“The scriptures often use the word prophet and its derivatives in the broad sense of one who teaches and testifies of God. When the prophet Moses was asked to forbid two men who ‘prophesied in the camp,’ he refused, expressing the wish ‘that all the Lord’s people were prophets.’ (Num. 11:26, 29.) The Apostle Paul taught that Christians should ‘desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy.’ (1 Cor. 14:1.) The Book of Mormon describes various times in which there were many prophets. (See 1 Ne. 1:4; W of M 1:16–18.) In our day, Elder Joseph Fielding Smith declared that ‘all members of the Church should seek for the gift of prophecy, for their own guidance, which is the spirit by which the word of the Lord is understood and his purpose made known.’ (Church History and Modern Revelation, 3 vols., Salt Lake City, Deseret Book Co., 1953, 1:201.)” (“Spiritual Gifts,” Ensign, Sept. 1986, 71)

Bruce R. McConkie

‘The testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.’ (Rev. 19:10.) That is, every person who receives revelation so that he knows, independent of any other source, of the divine Sonship of the Savior, has, by definition and in the very nature of things, the spirit of prophecy and is a prophet.” (The Promised Messiah: The First Coming of Christ [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1978], 23.)

Bruce R. McConkie

“A true prophet is one who has the testimony of Jesus; one who knows by personal revelation that Jesus Christ is the Son of the living God, and that he was to be—or has been—crucified for the sins of the world; one to whom God speaks and who recognizes the still small voice of the Spirit. A true prophet is one who holds the holy priesthood; who is a legal administrator; who has power and authority from God to represent him on earth. A true prophet is a teacher of righteousness to whom the truths of the gospel have been revealed and who presents them to his fellowmen so they can become heirs of salvation in the highest heaven. A true prophet is a witness, a living witness, one who knows, and one who testifies. Such a one, if need be, foretells the future and reveals to men what the Lord reveals to him.” (The Mortal Messiah: From Bethlehem to Calvary, 4 vols. [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1979-1981], 2: 169.)

1 Cor. 14:8 if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle

“Paul taught, ‘For if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle?’ (1 Corinthians 14:8.) If leaders are eager to make impressions and have their eyes on their own reputations, their double-mindedness will uproot their power. In giving forth an uncertain sound, their trumpets may spread the same contagious disease to other leaders and to the people in their organization or group. In their eagerness to be all things to all people, they will end up without respect from others or from themselves. They may compromise the magnificent principles and programs of the organization's purpose…

“Let teachers or leaders examine their motives and exert all their power to develop a single and pure one—to serve God by serving his children through the revealed program. They are appointed agents of the Lord, called by prophecy and the laying on of hands. They do not seek praise, for they are agents, nor are they discouraged by criticism. Let there be no mistake about it—‘a double minded man is unstable in all his ways.’ (James 1:8.)” (Stephen R. Covey, Spiritual Roots of Human Relations [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1970], 239 - 240.)

Harold B. Lee

“In a stake conference, a serviceman said something about the importance of trumpet calls to a military man. There is reveille at daybreak, which summons men to the day's duties. There is the trumpet call that means assembly, or to assemble or fall into military order. There is the mess call. (I suspect that is probably the first one that military men learn to understand. That's the call to meals.) There is the call that means forward march. There is the call that means a call to arms, to prepare for battle. And then there is taps, a signal to extinguish all lights in military quarters and to go to bed or to preserve silence; it is also used at a military burial.

“One can imagine the utter confusion if a military commander were to fail to give correct instructions to the bugler. If the individuals in the military encampment were not taught sufficiently to understand each trumpet call, one can likewise fancy the confusion. It is this confusion in the Babel-like tower of contradictory voices among us today that I would like to make a few comments about and, if possible, to guide the thinking of our leaders and youth.” (Stand Ye in Holy Places [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1974], 106.)

Harold B. Lee

“…those who lead must have a certain, sure trumpet sound to their instructions—no wavering, no compromising, but down the middle of the road of truth. To be a leader, you have to be moving. I cannot conceive of anybody following a leader who isn't going anywhere, and that's what Paul is trying to say…Leaders with clear, sharp understanding of their jobs, and the ability to give instructions and leadership direction, and those who have the ability to listen are vital in this program.” (Stand Ye in Holy Places [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1974], 105.)

Gordon B. Hinckley

“In your ministry as leaders in this Church, brethren, bless the people. Lift them. Encourage them. Help them. There are so many in distress. They have so many troubles, so many problems. . . . Bless them with leadership. ‘For if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle?’ (1 Cor. 14:8). Yours is the opportunity to blow the trumpet with a certain sound. You are leaders. Every man here is a leader because you are responsible for the well-being of others. That makes of you a leader. Lead the people. Lead them with boldness. Lead them with faith. Get on your knees and pray to the Lord and lead the people with faith. They will follow where you go as their leaders. God bless you in so doing.” (Teachings of Gordon B. Hinckley [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1997], 310.)

1 Cor. 15:5-7 he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve, After that…of above five hundred brethren

Bruce R. McConkie

“How can Paul, or Peter, or anyone prove that Christ rose from the dead? The fact of resurrection is a spiritual reality, one wholly outside the realm of scientific investigation or proof; it cannot be established by research, or reason, or laboratory experiment. Spiritual truths can be known only by revelation; they are always revealed to the world by witnesses—prophets and righteous men who have seen within the veil, who have heard the voices of beings from another sphere, and who can therefore testify of the things of God. Peter and the others felt the nail marks in the hands of the Risen Lord, thrust their hands into the spear wound in his side, and ate and drank with him after he rose from the dead. (Luke 24; Acts 10:34-43.) Could there be any better evidence than this?” (Doctrinal New Testament Commentary, 3 vols. [salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1965-1973], 2: 389.)

David O. McKay

“We affirm…with Spurgeon that ‘no fact in history is better attested than the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead. It must not be denied by any who are willing to pay the slightest respect to the testimony of their fellow-men, that Jesus, who died upon the cross, and was buried in the tomb of Joseph of Aramathea, did literally rise again from the dead.’” (Steppingstones to an Abundant Life [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1971], 395.)

David O. McKay

“What can we do if we cannot accept such irrefutable evidence? To me their testimonies mean but one thing, and that is that Jesus Christ who was born of the Virgin Mary, who preached the gospel after his own name, who sought the lost ones, whose life as we know it, even from the fragmentary accounts thereof, is an inspiration and has been an inspiration to millions, for two thousand years, who was crucified in ignominy and who was buried: that this same Jesus Christ arose from the grave literally, and that the early Christian church was founded upon that divine fact.” (Conference Report, April 1926, Afternoon Session 38.)

Gordon B. Hinckley

“Can anyone doubt the veracity of that account? No event of history has been more certainly confirmed. There is the testimony of all who saw and felt and spoke with the risen Lord. He appeared on two continents in two hemispheres and taught the people before His final ascension. Two sacred volumes, two testaments speak of this most glorious of all events in all of human history. But these are only accounts, the faithless critic says. To which we reply that beyond these is the witness and the testimony, borne by the power of the Holy Ghost, of the truth and validity of this most remarkable event. Through the centuries untold numbers have paid with the sacrifice of their comforts, their fortunes, their very lives for the convictions they carried in their hearts of the reality of the risen, living Lord.” (“This Glorious Easter Morn,” Ensign, May 1996, 67)

1 Cor. 15:17 if Christ be not raised your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins

B. H. Roberts

“And is not that just as true now as it was when Paul conducted the Saints at Corinth through this process of reasoning to that awful conclusion? Down into the very depths of despair does his reasoning bring us, if it so be that Christ did not actually rise from the dead. Behold, how hopeless, how vain is the faith of men in Christ if they eliminate from the scheme of his religion the doctrine of physical resurrection from the dead. Thank God the apostles did not leave either the Corinthian Saints or those of us who come after them in that slough of [despondency] to which he had conducted them; but having brought us down to where we may see into the very depth of despair, now he proceeds to build upon the opposite supposition—no, not ‘supposition,’ but the truth; namely, that Christ has risen from the dead. Hearken to him: (quotes 1 Cor. 15:20-26)

“That is the Christian faith; and yet Christians of today, in large part, do not believe it; a few do, but only a very few. And believe me, Latter-day Saints, that among the many things required of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, one of the many duties laid upon us in the preaching of the gospel in this dispensation, is this responsibility of being God's witnesses in the world for the truth, for the reality of this doctrine of the resurrection from the dead.” (Conference Report, April 1925, Afternoon Session 40 - 41.)

Neal A. Maxwell

“Surely Paul anticipated a sad trend regarding people's acceptance of Jesus, which accounts for so many moderns who are stranded in the maze. The trend is one in which Christ is credited with a significant ministry in this life but in which his literal resurrection is denied. Paul spoke boldly, declaring, ‘If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable.’ (1 Corinthians 15:19.) A Christianity that focuses on an unrisen Christ is a callow contradiction and it produces a special misery among its adherents, for such faith, Paul said, is ‘vain; ye are yet in your sins.’

“Is this dilution of doctrine not what has happened to so much of so-called Christianity with its existential emphasis? An unrisen Christ could never lift all men up! To take the name of Christ to preach against His (and the universal) resurrection is treason of the highest order. Sadly, the name of Christ is often appropriated to fight the work of Christ. Yet possessed of an abiding testimony of the resurrection, modern disciples, like those of old, too can say: ‘We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed.’ (2 Corinthians 4:8-9.)

“Those who ‘in this life only have hope in Christ’ will be miserable. Without the resurrection there is no ultimate hope, which brings proximate despair. If death is still victorious, how meaningful is life, after all? If Christ cannot help me, then why follow Him? Hence, in torturing the truth about Christ, mortals only torture themselves. A denial of the divinity of Jesus and His literal resurrection leads many to an existential philosophy that appropriates the name of Christ for a religion that finally slumps into a Sadducean stance. How ironic, how cruel! Thus another compelling reason to reject the world is its telestial theology about Christ.” (Wherefore, Ye Must Press Forward [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1977], 16.)

1 Cor. 15:19 If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable

Spencer W. Kimball

“How great would be our sorrow—and justly so—if there were no resurrection! How miserable we would be if there were no hope of life eternal! If our hope of salvation and eternal reward should fade away, we would certainly be more miserable than those who never had such an expectancy.” (“An Eternal Hope in Christ,” Ensign, Nov. 1978, 72)

Boyd K. Packer

“If our view is limited to mortal life, some things become unbearable because they seem so unfair and so permanent. There are doctrines which, if understood, will bring a perspective toward and a composure regarding problems which otherwise have no satisfactory explanation.” (“The Moving of the Water,” Ensign, May 1991, 9)

Harold B. Lee

“If we fail to understand this great truth, we will be miserable in time of need, and then sometimes our faith may be challenged. But if we have a faith that looks beyond the grave and trusts in divine Providence to bring all things in their proper perspective in due time, then we have hope, and our fears are calmed. Life does not end with mortal death. Through temple ordinances which bind on earth and in heaven, every promised blessing predicated upon faithfulness will be realized.” (Ye Are the Light of the World: Selected Sermons and Writings of Harold B. Lee [salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 1974], chap. 31)

Russell M. Nelson

“Hope emanates from the Lord, and it transcends the bounds of this mortal sphere. Paul noted that ‘if in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable.’ Only with an eternal perspective of God’s great plan of happiness can we ever find a more excellent hope. ‘What is it that ye shall hope for?’ asked Mormon. He then answered his own question: ‘Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ.’ (Moro. 7:41)” (“A More Excellent Hope,” Ensign, Feb. 1997, 61)

Gordon B. Hinckley

“What meaning would life have without the reality of immortality? Otherwise life would become only a dismal journey of ‘getting and spending,’ only to end in utter and hopeless oblivion.

’O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?’ (1 Cor. 15:55).

“The pain of death is swallowed up in the peace of eternal life. Of all the events of the chronicles of humanity, none is of such consequence as this.” (“This Glorious Easter Morn,” Ensign, May 1996, 67)

1 Cor. 15:29 if the dead rise not at all? Why are they then baptized for the dead?

Paul’s question is interesting. What good is baptism if there is no resurrection? We know that baptism is the key to entering into the celestial kingdom, but nobody can qualify for that kingdom without a resurrected, celestialized body. Howard W. Hunter noted, “There would be no sense in such ordinances except there be a resurrection. Nothing matters if there is not a resurrection; everything would end in the darkness of death.” (Conference Report, April 1969, Afternoon Session 137.)

So if there is no resurrection, there is no point to performing baptisms for the dead. Likewise, if there is no resurrection, there is no point to performing any temple ordinances. If there is no resurrection, there is not point to performing ordinances for the living. If there is no resurrection, we might as well stop redeeming the dead, proclaiming the gospel, and perfecting the saints. All are vain unless placed in context of a glorious resurrection. This is why the empty tomb is so full of meaning.

David O. McKay

“Since repentance and baptism by water as well as by the Spirit are essential to salvation (John 3:5), how shall the millions who have never heard the gospel, who have never had an opportunity either to repent or to be baptized enter into the kingdom of God? Surely a God of love can never be satisfied if the majority of his children are outside his kingdom, dwelling eternally either in ignorance, misery, or hell. Such a thought is revolting to intelligent minds. On the other hand, if these millions who died without having heard the gospel can enter into the kingdom of God without obeying the principles and ordinances of the gospel, then Christ's words to Nicodemus were not the statement of a general and eternal truth, and Peter's words on the Day of Pentecost had not a universal application, even though he said plainly, ‘For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.’ (Acts 2:39.)

“Now the gospel of Jesus Christ teaches that all mankind may be saved by obedience to the laws and ordinances thereof. Nor is the term ‘all’ restricted in meaning to include only a chosen few; it means every child of a loving and divine Father. And yet, hundreds of millions have died without ever having heard that there is such a thing as a gospel plan.

“All nations and races have a just claim upon God's mercies. Since there is only one plan of salvation, surely there must be some provision made whereby the ‘uncounted dead’ may hear of it and have the privilege of either accepting or rejecting it. Such a plan is given in the principle of salvation for the dead.” (Gospel Ideals: Selections from the Discourses of David O. McKay [salt Lake City: Improvement Era, 1953], 17.)

Brigham Young

“Do you recollect that in about the year 1840-41, Joseph had a revelation concerning the dead? He had been asked the question a good many times: ‘What is the condition of the dead, those that lived and died without the Gospel?’ It was a matter of inquiry with him. He considered this question for himself, and for the brethren and the Church, ‘What is the condition of the dead? What will be their fate? Is there no way today by which they can receive their blessings as there was in the days of the Apostles, and when the Gospel was preached upon the earth in ancient days?’ When Joseph received the revelation that we have in our possession concerning the dead, the subject was opened to him, not in full, but in part, and he kept on receiving…This doctrine of baptism for the dead is a great doctrine, one of the most glorious doctrines that was revealed to the human family; and there are light, power, glory, honor and immortality in it.” (Discourses of Brigham Young, selected and arranged by John A. Widtsoe [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1954], 399.)

Wilford Woodruff

“When the Prophet Joseph had this revelation from heaven, what did he do? There are witnesses here of what he did. He never stopped till he got the fulness of the word of God to him concerning the baptism for the dead. But before doing so he went into the Mississippi River, and so did I, as well as others, and we each baptized a hundred for the dead, without a man to record a single act that we performed. Why did we do it? Because of the feeling of joy that we had, to think that we in the flesh could stand and redeem our dead. We did not wait to know what the result of this would be, or what the whole of it should be. Finally the Lord told the Prophet: ‘When any of you are baptized for our dead, let there be a recorder, and let him be eyewitness of your baptisms; let him hear with his ears, that he may testify of a truth, saith the Lord; that in all your recordings it may be recorded in heaven; whatsoever you bind on earth, may be bound in heaven; whatsoever you loose on earth, may be loosed in heaven.’ That was the beginning of this work.” (The Discourses of Wilford Woodruff, edited by G. Homer Durham [salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1969], 152.)

Elder M. Theodore Burton

“People not fully acquainted with this concept cannot understand the concern of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints with genealogy. Our expenditure of time, money, and effort in gathering and organizing the names and vital statistics of our ancestors is done to identify them properly. We only gather and correlate these genealogies for one purpose, so that we can do the necessary ordinance work for our kindred dead in the temples of God erected for that purpose. If our ancestors and kinfolk have the desire to accept the gospel of Jesus Christ even beyond the grave, they are free to accept these redeeming ordinances made in their behalf. There is neither force nor compulsion in the gospel of Jesus Christ, only love, mercy, and opportunity.” (Conference Report, April 1964, Second Day—Morning Meeting 73.)