Day 28 September 6 - I Corinthians 16 - 2 Corinthians 9

Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty

For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. - Romans 8:2

Scriptural Reference: 2 Corinthians 3:12-18

12 Seeing then that we have such hope, we use great plainness of speech:

13 And not as Moses, which put a vail over his face, that the children of Israel could not stedfastly look to the end of that which is abolished:

14 But their aminds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ.

15 But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart.

16 Nevertheless when it shall turn to the Lord, the vail shall be taken away.

17 Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

18 But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.

Elder Ezra Taft Benson, Conference Report, April 1963, Third Day - Morning Meeting

Lincoln knew that God rules in the affairs of men and nations. He solemnly declared: "God rules this world-It is the duty of nations as well as men to own their dependence upon the overruling power of God, to confess their sins and transgressions in humble sorrow . . . and to recognize the sublime truth that those nations only are blessed whose God is the Lord.'

The founding fathers knew that ". . . where the Spirit of the Lord is. there is liberty." (2 Cor. 3:17.) The United States of America began and lives as a result of faith in God. The Bible has been and is the foundation for this faith.

"It is impossible to govern the world without the Bible," said George Washington.

"The Bible is the rock on which this Republic rests," Andrew Jackson proclaimed.

The fathers of our country had to turn to religion in order that their new experiment make sense.

Elder Samuel O. Bennion, Conference Report, October 1917, Second Overflow Meeting

God moved Columbus to come to this land, and he labored with those who ruled over him to give him an opportunity to come here and discover this continent, and this was done that a great land of liberty might be populated by a people who love liberty and the truth. The Lord is using men in various parts of the earth at the present time to accomplish his purposes. They may not be preaching the gospel of Christ, but they are assisting in the establishment of a democracy that will give men and women liberty to act and move as the power of the Spirit of God shall move upon them. I have in mind one individual who I am sure is performing a great work, preparing the way for a democracy that will permit the spreading of the gospel of Jesus Christ where it has not been heard because of tyranny and oppression. He has been called to Russia as an ambassador of the United States of America. He is not a member of the Church, by any means, but he is a character who has become well known in this land, a statesman, a diplomat, and a gentleman, a man who is able to understand the conditions and the needs of the people of that land, and who carries with him the spirit of liberty and of the democracy which we enjoy. I speak of the Hon. David R. Francis, of St. Louis, Mo, who was at one time president of the world's fair at St. Louis, another time Governor of the great state of Missouri, and another time a member of Grover Cleveland's cabinet, a gentleman who has had ample experience that qualifies him for the work. I believe men like him are doing God's work in the world, and that the gospel of Jesus Christ may be carried into may lands of darkness, after the way has been opened by the establishment of good governments.

Elder Melvin J. Ballard, Conference Report, April 1917, Second Overflow Meeting

I am loyal to my country. I want my young brethren and sisters to feel that the institutions founded and established in America are God-given; the constitution of the United States is a revelation from the Lord, for all the earth, and not only for America; and that the Lord has committed unto this land the mission of lifting up an ensign to the nations of the earth. And if the nations of the earth had heeded the warning, the invitation and the message, no such trouble and mistrust as we now see would have been among men. But they would not heed; those who had for ages believed that by divine right they ruled and governed would not yield to God's plan wherein he advised when this great instrument was established, the constitution of the United States, that into the hands of the people shall be given the right to the people to change the rulers and to govern themselves. And this is only a short cut to the glorious end to establish equity and justice in the earth. I cannot help but feel that there has been a wonderful providence of the Lord over America. The Book of Mormon is full of promises and predictions concerning the future of America. It is a land of liberty, and the people shall be preserved against all other peoples as long as the people of this land serve God and keep his commandments. I feel that it is also essential and important that we shall not lose sight of this latter injunction, namely, that if we are to hold our place as a nation and be ourselves preserved from disruption and disintegration, it shall be upon the basis that we, not only the Latter-day Saints but all the people of this land, observe the law of the Lord, and believe in God and keep his commandments, or chastisement shall come also to the peoples of this land. I do not fear but that even yet, notwithstanding the wickedness that now abounds, the Lord loves this nation, and that he still labors with us, and that he will bring us into our right place and position. And my heart goes out now in a feeling that the present trouble into which we are coming is Only, perhaps, to call us also to repentance. I have witnessed in the British Columbia section of the Northwestern states mission, from where so many have gone to the war, scarcely a home from which a relative has not gone, or has had a willingness to turn his hand to the defense of the right. I feel that that spirit of stopping and looking and listening to the word of the Lord will come when from the American homes the feeling shall come that is entertained for loved ones that have gone to the front. I feel that it is right and proper that we should take part in this trouble, that we will be more organized and more brought back to the ideals of the establishers of this great government.

1 Cor. 16:10-19 Paul’s fellow laborers to be respected and followed

Paul admitted to trying to be ‘all things to all men’ (1 Cor. 9:22), but he could not be in all places at all times. Hence, he relied heavily on fellow missionaries and local priesthood authorities to regulate the church. What he really needed was telephones, television, and satellite broadcasts, but epistles and other missionaries was all he had. Therefore, we see Paul instructing the Corinthians to submit to these other authorities. In listing them, Paul gives us a glimpse as to the other important missionaries and leaders in the early Church.

Timothy (v. 10), presumably a convert of Paul’s, was always a faithful servant. “Paul warned the Corinthians not to despise Timothy…an evidence of…their strong opposition to all priesthood authority (1 Cor. 16:10-11). Timothy's worth is proved by his continued labors with Paul, for Timothy's history is virtually the history of Paul's missions. Paul added Timothy's name to the opening of seven letters and mentioned his trustworthiness in two others. Paul had many powerful companions, but not one continued to be closer to him.” (Richard Lloyd Anderson, Understanding Paul [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1983], 315.)

Apollos (v. 12) was a convert and a powerful preacher. He was an Alexandrian Jew taught by Aquila and Priscilla in Ephesus. ‘He mightily convinced the Jews, and that publickly, shewing by the scriptures that Jesus was the Christ’ (Acts 18:28). Paul wanted Apollos to visit the Corinthians, but he was apparently busy elsewhere and couldn’t be persuaded at that time.

Stephanas (v. 15), Paul says, became ‘addicted’ to the ministry. If the word “addiction” can be used in a positive connotation, then being addicted to the cause of Christ would be the best imaginable addiction. Stephanas was a Corinthian convert, and one of a very few whom Paul personally baptized (1 Cor. 1:16). “If his family had shared service positions, Stephanas stands out as one with presiding authority in Corinth. For Paul uses the masculine pronoun next with these words—‘so you may also be subject to such men and to each fellow-laborer and worker’ (1 Cor. 16:16, literal trans.). Wherever there are adequate sources, local priesthood officers emerge, with Paul encouraging the Saints to support them…Paul's patient but firm leadership is constant in his Corinthian letters. Here was a branch in need of strong local and general authorities.” (Richard Lloyd Anderson, Understanding Paul [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1983], 94 - 95.)

Fortunatas and Achaicus (v. 17). These companions of Stephanas are not mentioned elsewhere. Because of their Greek names and association with Stephanas, we may safely presume they were Corinthians. “When Paul had finished I Corinthians it is quite probable that he dispatched the Epistle to Corinth by Stephanas, Fortunatus and Achaicus, who had been visiting Ephesus, as we have previously pointed out. And although at this point we are left to considerable conjecture, it would seem that in due time the Epistle reached Corinth and that Timothy returned to Ephesus with news for Paul concerning the manner in which it was received and the condition of the branch. Timothy's report was probably not altogether reassuring…Paul had occasion to write 2 Corinthians and to send Titus on his second mission to Corinth. (2 Cor. 8:6, 2 Cor. 8:18, 2 Cor. 8:23)” (Paul's Life and Letters [salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1955], 138.)

“From the epistles we also get an impression of Paul as an administrator in the Church. Not only did he send letters to various branches, but he frequently dispatched one or more of his aides to deliver the epistle and to investigate problems and conditions in local areas…In recounting his persecutions and trials, Paul added that not only did he have to contend with all the trouble and persecutions from outside the Church, but that he had the daily ‘care of all the Churches’ (2 Cor. 11:28), evidently referring to his administrative responsibilities.” (Robert J. Matthews, “St. Paul Writes about the Church,” New Era, Apr. 1977, 35)

1 Cor. 16:13 Watch ye, stand fast in the faith, quit you like men, be strong

Marion D. Hanks

Watch ye, stand [ye] fast in the faith, quit you like men, be strong.’ (1 Cor. 16:13.)

“These words and phrases seem to me to express the deep sentiments that are most important to me, and in just a few words I want to talk about each tonight.

’Watch ye,’ Paul said. Be wise. There are a lot of roads to travel on, many places to go, countless things to see. Companions of all kinds are available. So watch your step, examine carefully the alternatives. There are only so many books you can read, so many places you can go, so many tasks you can prepare to work at and actually give your time to; you can only have so many real friends; you have one character to form, one life to live, one Master who can be served at a time. So, said Paul, ‘Watch you.’ Be wise. Keep reading, keep thinking, keep asking, keep interested. Try out your own ideas, weigh them and weigh those of others, thoughtfully, prayerfully, honestly. Let truth have its chance in the marketplace.

“Do you know these words of Emerson?…’Ah, my soul, look to the road you are walking on. He who picks up one end of a stick picks up the other. He who chooses the beginning of a road chooses the place it leads to.’

“Well, take another honest look tonight about the road you are on, as to character, conduct, causes, Christ. Are you going to like the place you are headed for when you get there? How are you spending your life?…

“What else did Paul say to these Corinthians who found it hard to be Christians in Corinth? ‘Quit you like men,’ he said. ‘Quit you like men.’

“This is the same message Lehi delivered to his recreant sons (2 Ne. 1:21). It is the same message that the ancient scripture says again and again. ‘Let us play the man.’ What does that mean? It means to me, take sides, commit your life, live your convictions, work, serve, sacrifice, give.

“You remember the great story of the elderly man who could see little and hear almost nothing and yet who was in sacrament meeting every Sunday night. A cynic asked him, ‘Why in the world do you go? You can't hear and you can't see. What do you get out of it?’ And the old man smiled and said, ‘I go to show which side I'm on.’…

’Quit you like men,’ wrote Paul. Be a man! Serve like a man! Sacrifice like a man! Work like a man! Act like a man!” (May 28, 1964, BYU Speeches of the Year, 1964 11.)

Elder William H. Reeder, Jr.

’Watch ye, stand fast in the faith, quit you like men, be strong’—this was addressed by Paul to the Corinthian Church, but it rings a clarion message to us, the Latter-day Saints.

“It contains four distinct statements, each important and all necessary for faithfulness.

“1. ‘Watch ye.’ We must keep our eyes and ears open, be alert to learn of him and of his ways; give heed not only to his word as contained in the scriptures, but to instructions and counsel of his servants. Words and actions must be guarded so as not to injure others; thoughts and habits be controlled and regulated so as to impress others by example that there is substance to his way of life.

“2. ‘Stand fast in the Faith.’ Faith in Jesus Christ, his life and mission is essential to salvation, and devout Christians vehemently assert that it is essential to lasting peace. It is the better way, not only to eternal life but to good neighborly living. Steadfastness in our faith will impel us to broadcast its truths, and even to die for it; stability therein is bound to influence others.

“3. ‘Quit you like men.’ To acquit ourselves like real men is a solemn duty of all of us in all the affairs of life. Honorable men are without guile, do not injure others, lead exemplary lives, and seek to promote truth and righteousness. Cowards slink from responsibility and accomplish nothing worthwhile. To manfully acquit ourselves, we must lead lives that are constructive and consistent with the standards and practices of his Church.

“4. ‘Be strong.’ This is a summary of all virtues. Strong men and women are needed everywhere, in the Nation, the Church, the neighborhood. To them we look for guidance, for leadership. Sturdy, powerful witnesses of the Savior, of his word and work, are required to lead men in his path of truth and righteousness. Therefore, be strong in the faith and valiant for the truth.” (Conference Report, October 1944, Afternoon Meeting 147.)

2 Corinthians Introduction

Sent from: Paul, in northern Greece, joined by Timothy.

Sent to: Members at Corinth, provincial capital of southern Greece.

Date: About A.D. 57, in the fall.

Purpose: To express joy on the repentance of many Corinthians, to warn others of discipline for rebellion, and to plan the welfare collection for the Jerusalem Saints.

Main themes: Christ's atonement; the principle of sacrifice; repentance; welfare contributions; priesthood authority; three heavens.” (Richard Lloyd Anderson, Understanding Paul, 130)

Bruce R. McConkie

“In First Corinthians, Paul reproved the philosophical and worldly saints in Corinth with sharpness. By the power of the Spirit he warned them to believe sound doctrine and live godly lives. Now he is showing forth an increase of love toward these same church members lest they esteem him to be their enemy. At least he is for the first nine chapters, although for the last four he picks up again some of his blunt and harsh mode of exhortation.

“Second Corinthians is not a definitive epistle; it does not analyze and summarize gospel doctrines as such. Instead it applies already known doctrines to the circumstances of the Corinthians, much as an inspired sermon applies the gospel to the congregation in which it is preached.

“Yet, wise counselor that he was, Paul wove in sufficient doctrinal data to leave modern readers with a great sense of thanksgiving for the epistle. In it we read, among other things, of how God comforteth and careth for his saints; of the law of reconciliation; that there is no second chance for salvation for the saints; of how God's ministers gain approval; of the true principle of glorying in the Lord; of false apostles and the signs of true apostles; and we learn that Paul, like the three Nephites, was caught up into heaven and heard and saw things beyond mortal comprehension.” (Doctrinal New Testament Commentary, 3 vols. [salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1965-1973], 2: 407.)

2 Cor. 1:3 Blessed be God…the Father of mercies

Jeffrey R. Holland

“For anyone seeking the courage to repent and change, I remind you that the Church is not a monastery for the isolation of perfect people. It is more like a hospital provided for those who wish to get well. Do whatever you have to do to come into the fold and be blessed. For some of you that is simply to live with greater faith, to believe more. For some of you it does mean to repent—right here. Today…

“This reliance upon the forgiving, long-suffering, merciful nature of God was taught from before the very foundation of the world. It was always to give us hope and help, a reason to progress and improve, an incentive to lay down our burdens and take up our salvation. May I be bold enough to suggest that it is impossible for anyone who really knows God to doubt his willingness to receive us with open arms in a divine embrace if we will but ‘come unto him.’ There certainly can and will be plenty of external difficulties in life; nevertheless, the soul that comes unto Christ dwells within a personal fortress, a veritable palace of perfect peace. ‘Whoso hearkeneth unto me,’ Jehovah says, ‘shall dwell safely, and shall be quiet from fear of evil’ (Prov. 1:33).

“That is exactly what Paul said to the Corinthians. Trying to help them keep their chins up—and the Corinthians had a lot to be grim about—he wrote: ‘Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort; who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God’ (2 Cor. 1:3–4).” (“Come unto Me,” Ensign, Apr. 1998, 18-19)

Marion D. Hanks

“He waits to be gracious! He loves to be merciful! The prophets call him ‘the Father of mercies.’ (2 Cor. 1:3.) They speak of his ‘abundant mercy,’ (1 Pet. 1:3), and declare that ‘whosoever repenteth, and hardeneth not his heart, he shall have claim on mercy’ (Alma 12:34). They declare his ‘wisdom … mercy, and grace.’ (2 Ne. 9:8.) And crowning all of this is the testimony that our Father ‘delighteth in mercy.’ (Micah 7:18.)

“The specialty of the Father is mercy.” (“My Specialty Is Mercy,” Ensign, Nov. 1981, 74)

2 Cor. 2:11 Lest Satan should get an advantage of us: for we are not ignorant of his devices

James E. Faust

“It is not good practice to become intrigued by Satan and his mysteries. No good can come from getting close to evil. Like playing with fire, it is too easy to get burned: ‘The knowledge of sin tempteth to its commission.’ (Joseph F. Smith, Gospel Doctrine [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1939], p. 373.) The only safe course is to keep well distanced from him and from any of his wicked activities or nefarious practices. The mischief of devil worship, sorcery, casting spells, witchcraft, voodooism, black magic, and all other forms of demonism should be avoided like the plague.

“However, Brigham Young said that it is important to ‘study . . . evil, and its consequences.’ (Discourses of Brigham Young, comp. John A. Widtsoe [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1941], p. 257.) Since Satan is the author of all evil in the world, it would therefore be essential to realize that he is the influence behind the opposition to the work of God. Alma stated the issue succinctly: ‘For I say unto you that whatsoever is good cometh from God, and whatsoever is evil cometh from the devil.’ (Alma 5:40.)

“My principal reason for choosing this subject is to help young people by warning them, as Paul said, ‘lest Satan should get an advantage of us: for we are not ignorant of his devices.’ (2 Cor. 2:11.) ("Trying to Serve the Lord without Offending the Devil," BYU Speeches, 15 Nov. 1994, 59.)

“SATAN HAS HAD great success with this gullible generation. As a consequence, literally hosts of people have been victimized by him and his angels. There is, however, an ample shield against the power of Lucifer and his hosts. This protection lies in the spirit of discernment through the gift of the Holy Ghost. This gift comes undeviatingly by personal revelation to those who strive to obey the commandments of the Lord and to follow the counsel of the living prophets…Satan's efforts can be thwarted by all who come unto Christ by obedience to the covenants and ordinances of the gospel. . . .” (James E. Faust and James P. Bell, In the Strength of the Lord: The Life and Teachings of James E. Faust [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1999], 415-416.)

James E. Faust

“…as Paul said, ’lest Satan should get an advantage of us: for we are not ignorant of his devices.’ ("2 Cor. 2:112 Corinthians 2:11.) We hope that [our young people], unfamiliar with the sophistries of the world, can keep themselves free of Satan's enticements and deceitful ways. I personally claim no special insight into Satan's methods, but I have at times been able to identify his influence and his actions in my life and in the lives of others. When I was on my mission, Satan sought to divert me from my future path and, if possible, to destroy my usefulness in the Lord's work. That was almost fifty years ago, and I still remember how reasonable his entreaties seemed.

“Who has not heard and felt the enticings of the devil? His voice often sounds reasonable and his message easy to justify. It is an enticing, intriguing voice with dulcet tones. It is neither hard nor discordant. No one would listen to Satan's voice if it sounded harsh or mean. If the devil's voice were unpleasant, it would not entice people to listen to it.” (Reach Up for the Light [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1990], 102.)

2 Cor. 3:6 God hath made us able ministers of the new testament

“’Testament’ here is a Greek legal term (diatheke) for the binding promise of a will, but it was used in the Greek translation of the Old Testament for God's covenant with Israel. Thus, Paul's ‘new testament’ is the Lord's new covenant with the Saints wherein their sins are forgiven through the atonement of Christ. And 2 Corinthians 3 takes its joyful tone not from the disappearance of divine commands but from the rejoicing of the believer that the ‘letter’—the searching by study and the multiplicity of Mosaic rules—had been replaced by Christ's atonement and gospel, in which ‘my yoke is easy, and my burden is light’ (Matt. 11:30). The King James Version uses ‘covenant’ and ‘testament’ interchangeably as Paul teaches that the work of Christ fulfills the laws of Moses.” (Richard Lloyd Anderson, Understanding Paul [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1983], 134.)

2 Cor. 3:6 the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life

Spencer J. Condie

“There are few gospel principles which are in greater tension than the spirit of the law and the letter of the law, and resolving this tension is by no means an easy task. Those who prefer broad and general interpretations of scripture are fond of quoting Paul's statement to the Corinthians, ‘For the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life’ (2 Cor. 3:6, see also Rom. 9:31; D&C 88:34). Jacob also warned of the danger of rule followers who look ‘beyond the mark,’ like those who adhered to the law of Moses in such meticulous detail that they failed to recognize the Messiah whose coming had been anticipated by the law (Jacob 4:14).

“Those who gravitate toward a rule-following mentality are fond of quoting the Book of Mormon description of Helaman's faithful two thousand and sixty stripling warriors, who ‘did obey and observe to perform every word of command with exactness’ (Alma 57:21)…

“The Savior, ever exemplifying the perfect balance between eternal principles, chastened the scribes and Pharisees of His day with the following unvarnished candor: ‘Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone’ (Matt. 23:23).” (In Perfect Balance [salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1993], 97.)

Neal A. Maxwell

“Clearly…perspective…includes learning how to distinguish between what is big and what is small. The eminent historian Will Durant wrote of that human yearning for the perspective ‘to know that the little things are little, and the big things big, before it is too late; we want to see things now as they will seem forever—`in the light of eternity`.’ Thus, without passing through mortality, how else will we learn to discern successfully what the ‘weightier matters of the law’ really are (Matthew 23:23)? How else, too, will we get the practical and needed experience showing us that ‘the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life’ (2 Corinthians 3:6)?” (If Thou Endure It Well [salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1996], 8.)

Gordon B. Hinckley

“To all who hold positions of leadership, to the vast corps of teachers and missionaries, to heads of families, I should like to make a plea: In all you do, feed the spirit—nourish the soul. ‘. . . the letter killeth, but the Spirit giveth life.’ (2 Cor. 3:6.)

“I am satisfied that the world is starved for spiritual food. Amos prophesied of old:

‘Behold, the days come, saith the Lord God, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the Lord:

And they shall wander from sea to sea, and from the north even to the east, they shall run to and fro to seek the word of the Lord, and shall not find it.

In that day shall the fair virgins and the young men faint for thirst.’ (Amos 8:11-13.)

“There is hunger in the land, and a genuine thirst—a great hunger for the word of the Lord and an unsatisfied thirst for things of the spirit. Ours is the obligation and the opportunity to nourish the soul.” (Conference Report, October 1967, Afternoon Meeting 89-90.)

John H. Groberg

“[Faced with news that two sisters were guilty of adultery] I immediately called a special meeting with my counselors, explained the situation, and said, ‘This has got to stop.’

“They condescendingly nodded their heads and replied, ‘Well, after you have been here a while, you'll understand. You'd better just leave it alone.’ It was one of those times, especially as I look back, when I felt the hand of the Lord very clearly.

“I replied, ‘I've been here long enough. What they are doing is wrong. I'm going to talk to them again and tell them either they leave these men or they are out of the Church.’

“My counselors replied, ‘You can't do that! They are very prominent families and you will wreck the Church!’

“’Their evil will wreck the Church if we don't,’ I replied.

“Still, I had to consider their counsel. I knew there was a risk, but I knew what was right. After prayer, I still felt strongly so I told my counselors we should go and talk to the two women and their families and give them the choice. They shook their heads and would not come, so I went alone.

“I told the women, ‘You either drop this, quit it completely, or you are out of the Church.’

“Each in turn said, in essence, ‘You can't do that. My dad is So-and-So,’ or ‘My brother is So-and-So.’

“I said, ‘I not only can, but I will.’

“I told my counselors what I had done and they both said the same thing, ‘You just can't do that. You've got to be more understanding; you've got to be more loving and kind.’

“I replied, ‘I have been. I've given them both two chances, and they won't respond.’

“When they could see I was determined to do something, one of them said, ‘Well, you still can't do it. You don't have the authority. You've got to go according to the handbook. Have you read the General Handbook of Instructions?

“I had to admit that I had not read the handbook. In fact, I didn't even know such a book existed. But I knew what was right and I didn't have to have a handbook to tell me that. I gave the two women a third warning and explained what they had to do. They refused to do it, so I said, ‘Okay then, you are out of the Church.’ They replied, ‘Does that mean we are excommunicated?’

“I replied, ‘I don't know exactly what that word means. All I know is that you are no longer members of the Church.’ They repeated that I couldn't do that, and I told them I already had. I told my counselors of my action, and they both shook their heads. I announced in the next leadership meeting that these two were no longer members of the Church. There were many looks of disbelief.

“To begin with, there was anger and bitterness. It seemed I had made an already bad situation worse, but soon a very interesting thing began to happen. Several people quietly and almost unbelievingly whispered, ‘Is it true that So-and-So are no longer members of the Church?’

“’That's right,’ I replied. ‘They are no longer members.’

“Everyone knew what the girls had been doing, so when they were actually cut off from the Church, other members started to shape up. The dire prediction that people would quit coming to church proved wrong. In fact, the opposite occurred. People started coming back to church, confessing their sins, and asking for forgiveness. Within a few weeks, things were not only better, they were markedly better—and the Spirit was stronger! A remarkable transition began taking place, and everything started to improve.

“The missionaries started being more cooperative with the local leaders and more helpful to one another. The members not only came to meetings but also started to smile and speak nicely to one another. We were still not making much progress with the school, but we were at least talking about it more. There continued to be a lot of opposition, but it did not seem to have the same effect as it did before. We felt we were finally moving ahead.

“One of the strong testimonies I have of doing what is right regardless of opposition is that over a period of not many weeks, order started to come into the Ha'apai District. I began to learn a great lesson: The scriptures say, ‘The letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life’ (2 Corinthians 3:6). Maybe I didn't follow the letter in that I did not have a handbook, but I knew what the Spirit was directing me to do; I was sure the handbook would have directed me to do what I did, for the handbook is written under the direction of the Spirit. I learned that if you follow the direction of the Spirit and do what is right, you turn the responsibility over to the Spirit—and it gives life.

“In effect, the Spirit said, ‘You did what I asked you to do, now I will do my part,’ and it did. It breathed life into the district; it breathed life into the members; it energized the missionaries; and it softened the hearts of our enemies. I didn't work any harder, nor did I do anything very different, but things just started to change for the better.” (In the Eye of the Storm [salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1993], 159-160.)

2 Cor. 4:8-9 We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed but not in despair

“Paul seemed to glory in persecution. It was he who said that persecution was the natural heritage of the faithful (Acts 14:22; 2 Tim. 3:12). As we read of his trials we are reminded of the words of the Lord to Ananias at the time of Paul's conversion, when he told Ananias that Paul was a chosen vessel, but that the Lord would ‘shew [Paul] how great things he must suffer for my name's sake’ (Acts 9:16). Certainly Paul learned exactly what this meant before his life was through.” (Robert J. Matthews, Behold the Messiah [salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1994], 329.)

Joseph Smith

“[While a prisoner of the Missouri mob] Notwithstanding that every avenue of escape seemed to be entirely closed, and death stared me in the face, and that my destruction was determined upon, as far as man was concerned, yet, from my first entrance into the camp [of displaced saints], I felt an assurance that I, with my brethren and our families, should be delivered. Yes, that still small voice, which has so often whispered consolation to my soul, in the depths of sorrow and distress, bade me be of good cheer, and promised deliverance, which gave me great comfort. And although the heathen raged, and the people imagined vain things, yet the Lord of Hosts, the God of Jacob was my refuge; and when I cried unto Him in the day of trouble, He delivered me; for which I call upon my soul, and all that is within me, to bless and praise His holy name. For although I was ’troubled on every side, yet not distressed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed’ [see 2 Corinthians 4:8-9]. (History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 7 vols. 3:329)

Neal A. Maxwell

“The disciple—one who has committed himself to Christ—is not insulated from the realities of such an unsettled world, yet he will see it differently: ’We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed.’ (2 Corinthians 4:8-9.)

“Part of the reason for the different view is the vantage point of a disciple. He walks the strait and narrow path—even if only by struggling effort—and the perspective from that path is profoundly different.” (A Time to Choose [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1972], 2.)

Neal A. Maxwell

“With Paul, we can say, ‘We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed’ (2 Cor. 4:8–9)—perhaps adding, ‘We are confronted, but not surprised; we are falsely accused, but pray for our accusers; we are reviled, but respond with Christian service.’…The Savior has told us that just as when the fig tree puts forth its leaves, we may know that summer is nigh, so it will be with his second coming (see Luke 21:28–30). The foreseen summer of circumstances is now upon us. Let us not, therefore, complain of the heat!” (“The Net Gathers of Every Kind,” Ensign, Nov. 1980, 15)

Neal A. Maxwell

“The summer is taking its toll. But even in the heat of the final summer, we can come to know the deep reassurance that Paul described when he said, ‘We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed.’ (2 Cor. 4:9 2 Cor. 4:8) Why? Because we are grounded, rooted, established, and settled. We can be in withering circumstances and yet not wither. We can endure the heat of that special summer.” (We Will Prove Them Herewith [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1982], 99.)

Jeffrey R. Holland

“We could—and should—remember the wonderful things that have come to us in our lives and that ‘all things which are good cometh of Christ’ (Moro. 7:24). Those of us who are so blessed could remember the courage of those around us who face more difficulty than we, but who remain cheerful, who do the best they can, and trust that the Bright and Morning Star will rise again for them—as surely he will do (see Rev. 22:16).

“On some days we will have cause to remember the unkind treatment he received, the rejection he experienced, and the injustice—oh, the injustice—he endured. When we, too, then face some of that in life, we can remember that Christ was also troubled on every side, but not distressed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed (see 2 Cor. 4:8–9).

“When those difficult times come to us, we can remember that Jesus had to descend below all things before he could ascend above them, and that he suffered pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind that he might be filled with mercy and know how to succor his people in their infirmities (see D&C 88:6; Alma 7:11–12).

“To those who stagger or stumble, he is there to steady and strengthen us. In the end he is there to save us, and for all this he gave his life. However dim our days may seem they have been darker for the Savior of the world.” (“This Do in Remembrance of Me,” Ensign, Nov. 1995, 69)

2 Cor. 4:18 we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen

Dallin H. Oaks

“The pure in heart have a distinctive way of looking at life. Their attitudes and desires cause them to view their experiences in terms of eternity. This eternal perspective affects their choices and priorities. As they draw farther from worldliness they feel closer to our Father in Heaven and more able to be guided by his Spirit. We call this state of mind, this quality of life, spirituality.” (Pure in Heart [salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1988], 111.)

Dallin H. Oaks

“To the faithful, spirituality is a lens through which we view life and a gauge by which we evaluate it. The Apostle Paul expressed this thought in two of his letters:

‘We look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.’ (2 Cor. 4:18.)

‘For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.

For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.’ (Rom. 8:5–6.)

“To be spiritually minded is to view and evaluate our experiences in terms of the enlarged perspective of eternity.

“Each of us has a personal lens through which we view the world. Our lens gives its special tint to all we see. It can suppress some features and emphasize others. It can also reveal things otherwise invisible. Through the lens of spirituality, we can know ‘the things of God’ by ‘the Spirit of God.’ (1 Cor. 2:11.) As the Apostle Paul taught, such things are ‘foolishness’ to the ‘natural man.’ He cannot see them ‘because they are spiritually discerned.’ (See 1 Cor. 2:14.)” (“Spirituality,” Ensign, Nov. 1985, 61)

James E. Faust

“Listen to and follow the voice of the Spirit. This is an ancient, even eternal solution, and may not be popular in a society that is always looking for something new.

“Furthermore, this solution requires patience in a world that demands instant gratification. It is quiet, peaceful, and subtle in a world enamored by that which is loud, incessant, fast-paced, garish, and crude. It requires us to be contemplative while our peers seek physical titillation. It requires the prophets to ‘put [us] always in remembrance of these things, though [we] know them,’ that we may ‘be established in the present truth’ (2 Pet. 1:12). This may seem foolish in a time when it is not worth remembering much of the trivial tripe to which we are exposed.

“This solution of listening to and following the Spirit is one unified, consistent, age-old message in a world that quickly becomes bored in the absence of intensity, variety, and novelty. It requires us to walk by faith in a world governed by sight (see 2 Cor. 4:18; 2 Cor. 5:7). We must see with the eye of eternal faith unseen, spiritual verities, while the masses of mankind depend solely on temporal things, which can be known only through the physical senses.

“In short, this solution of listening to and following the Spirit may not be popular; it may not get us gain or worldly power. But ‘our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory’ (2 Cor. 4:17).

“We must learn to ponder the things of the Spirit and to respond to its promptings. We must filter out the static generated by Satan. As we become attuned to the Spirit, ‘thine ears shall hear a word behind thee, saying, This is the way, walk ye in it’ (Isa. 30:21).” (“The Voice of the Spirit,” Ensign, Apr. 1994, 10)

2 Cor. 5:7 For we walk by faith, not by sight

Neal A. Maxwell

“Since we walk by faith, not by sight (2 Corinthians 5:7), some puzzlement is likely, for we do not see the end from the beginning. If we constantly saw the end from the beginning, the ‘middle’ would not be a true test!” (That Ye May Believe [salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1992], 157.)

Neal A. Maxwell

“At present we are required to ‘walk by faith, not by sight’ (2 Corinthians 5:7). We can finally ‘overcome by faith’ (D&C 76:53), which is the only real and lasting form of personal triumph.” (Lord, Increase Our Faith [salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1994], 7.)

Neal A. Maxwell

“Hope helps us to walk by faith, not by sight. This can actually be safer. When unaided spiritually, natural sight often shrinks from the odds (see 2 Cor. 5:7). It is immobilized by improbabilities. Mauled by his moods and intimidated by his fears, the natural man overreacts to, while hope overrides, the disappointments of the day.” (“Brightness of Hope,” Ensign, Nov. 1994, 36)

Neal A. Maxwell

“Secular people, of whom there are more and more, insist on seeing instead of walking by faith (see 2 Cor. 5:7). In their passion to see, they fall into the trap of ‘looking beyond the mark’ (Jacob 4:14), including failing to notice the sprouting leaves on the fig tree signaling that summer is nigh (see JS—M 1:38–39; D&C 45:37).

“In such a context, those trying to spread the gospel’s glorious truths often encounter people, as did Ether, whose reactions to his ‘great and marvelous’ prophecies were ‘they did not believe, because they saw them not’ (Ether 12:5).” (“The Richness of the Restoration,” Ensign, Mar. 1998, 9)

Bruce C. Hafen

“…men are not forced by…circumstances to believe. There are so many things that [God] could do to rend the veil. But, ‘we walk by faith, not by sight.’ (2 Cor. 5:7.)

“Scholars in the philosophy of knowledge tell us that people tend to see what they want to see, especially when the evidence is ambiguous. Perhaps that is why the mists of darkness in Lehi’s dream are so descriptive of the conditions of mortality. God has chosen to leave us free, amid circumstances that do not compel our belief, to determine for ourselves, as an act of will, whether to grasp the iron rod in the midst of that mortal darkness. All four of Lehi’s sons were born of those same goodly parents. The difference between the believers and unbelievers was not so much in what happened to them, but in their attitude toward what happened. That attitude originated within their own hearts, with each making his own free choice about being willing to be believing.” (“Is Yours a Believing Heart?” Ensign, Sept. 1974, 54–55)

2 Cor. 5:10 we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ

One particular television program featured a minister renowned for his understanding of the Bible. During the program, he responded to questions by telephone, freely quoting various biblical passages. One such caller asked him the meaning of the Revelations passage which speaks of the dead being judged ‘according to their works’ (Rev. 20:12)—especially in light of the Christian doctrine of salvation by grace. His response was not to respond at all. The subject was diverted. The next question was entertained.

In the logic of modern Christianity, there should be no need for judgment according to one’s works, when salvation is wrought only by faith. Can we imagine the sinner who claimed allegiance to Christ standing before Him in judgment? He might declare, “I’m a Christian, I was told if I confess your name, I will be saved.” Yet, his bold declarations will give way to a bowed head, a bended knee, and a frightening realization. At that tragic moment, he will understand he has been duped, for he will ‘stand before God…[having] a bright recollection of all [his] guilt’ (Alma 11:43).

Indeed, nothing is more final than the final judgment. No one gets to turn back the clock and try again. When the clock stops ticking, the day of probation is over and the consequences can be frightening.

Spencer W. Kimball

“Of two very important things we may be absolutely certain—that it is not vain to serve the Lord, and that the day of judgment will come to all, the righteous and the unrighteous.

“The time of reckoning is as sure as is the passage of time and the coming of eternity. All who live shall eventually stand before the bar of God to be judged according to their works. Their final assignments will constitute rewards and punishments according to the kinds of lives they lived on earth.” (The Teachings of Spencer W. Kimball, edited by Edward L. Kimball [salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1982], 46)

Spencer W. Kimball

“The Book of Life (see Revelation 20:12) will show the earthly activities of all of us, and the book of the angels will give the entire story of every man and what he did in the light and in the shadows, in the open and in the corners, all that is said in the secret places and from the housetops, all that was thought and expressed, whether good or bad. There will be no escape. The honest judge will give full value to all for their good works and will not overlook the other.

“God is just. I know that every man will enjoy every blessing which he has earned and I know that every man will receive no blessing through mercy as that word is often connotated. Justice will be tempered with mercy but not replaced by it. I am positive that no man will ever be judged without opportunity, blessed beyond his deserts, nor punished for something for which he was not responsible.” (The Teachings of Spencer W. Kimball, edited by Edward L. Kimball [salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1982], 46)

George Albert Smith

“Are we guiltless or are we among those who, when we stand in the presence of the great Judge, will be humiliated when we realize that because of our avarice and deceitfulness we have wronged these children of his of whom he has said: ‘Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me’? (Matthew 25:40.)

Neither shalt thou desire thy neighbour's wife, neither shalt thou covet thy neighbour's house, his field, or his manservant, or his maidservant, his ox, or his ass, or any thing that is thy neighbour's’ (Deuteronomy 5:21).

“Do you believe that the Lord said that? Do you believe that he meant what he said? If we only understood how near we are to the Judgment Day there are men and women in the various communities of this world who would now be on their knees in sackcloth and ashes; but they think that time is so far off that they procrastinate the day of repentance.” (Conference Reports, October 1935, p. 121.)

2 Cor. 6:10 poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, and yet possessing all things

The gospel is more important than all the money in the world. Perhaps we could ask the lame man at the gate what he thinks. Remember him? It was to him that Peter said, ‘Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk. And he took him by the right hand, and lifted him up: and immediately his feet and ankle bones received strength’ (Acts 3:6-7). Traveling as a missionary, Paul was always poor, but how many were made rich by his preaching? As to material things, he had nothing, yet he possessed all he needed and more.

LeGrand Richards

“…when you do good things the Lord rewards you for them. He is the best paymaster that I know of.

“…In the mission field one missionary said, ‘I would not take a million dollars for the experience of my mission.’ Another missionary, who had played on the BYU basketball team which won the intermountain championship, said, ‘The boys literally carried us around on their shoulders, the biggest day of my life-until I came into the mission field. But I wouldn't trade one night like this, bearing witness of the truth, for all the basketball games I have ever played.’” (December 6, 1961, BYU Speeches of the Year, 1961, p. 7-8.)

LeGrand Richards

“I heard a missionary up in Oregon giving the report of his mission. He himself was a convert to the Church, and he came down with his fist on the pulpit, and he said, ‘I wouldn’t take a check tonight for a million dollars for the experience of my mission.’ I sat back of him, and I said to myself, ‘Would you take a million dollars for your first mission in the little land of Holland?’ And I began counting the families that I’d been instrumental in bringing into the Church. What kind of a man would I be if I were to sell them out of the Church for a million dollars? I wouldn’t do that for all the money in the world!” (“The Joy of Serving a Mission,” Ensign, Nov. 1978, 33)

Vaughn J. Featherstone

“There are other experiences. Once as I was leaving a conference, a sweet family stopped me. They knew a nonmember man who was having severe problems, and they wondered if we would give him a blessing. We dropped by his apartment. In the living room were two pieces of furniture, a bean bag and a stereo set—and nothing else. A little girl, nine, was taking care of her father because the mother, when she heard her husband had cancer, had abandoned him and the girl and her younger brother. The girl took us down the hallway into his room, and there on the bottom of the two bunks we saw this man, six feet tall, sixty-seven pounds. We administered to him, feeling he would not live. But we felt impressed to bless him with the thing that would be of most worth to him: that his son and daughter would be protected, that angels would walk through this life with them, that they would be protected when he wasn’t there to do it any longer. You can’t buy those kinds of experiences for all the money in the world.” (“Where Following Him Can Lead Us,” Ensign, Feb. 1981, 8)

2 Cor. 7:10 For godly sorrow worketh repentance

Ezra Taft Benson

“Godly sorrow is a gift of the Spirit. It is a deep realization that our actions have offended our Father and our God. It is the sharp and keen awareness that our behavior caused the Savior, He who knew no sin, even the greatest of all, to endure agony and suffering. Our sins caused Him to bleed at every pore. This very real mental and spiritual anguish is what the scriptures refer to as having ‘a broken heart and a contrite spirit.’ (See 3 Ne. 9:20; Moro. 6:2; D&C 20:37, 59:8; Ps. 34:18; Ps. 51:17; Isa. 57:15.) Such a spirit is the absolute prerequisite for true repentance.” (“A Mighty Change of Heart,” Ensign, Oct. 1989, 4)

Spencer W. Kimball

“Often people indicate that they have repented when all they have done is to express regret for a wrong act. But true repentance is marked by that godly sorrow that changes, transforms, and saves. To be sorry is not enough. Perhaps the felon in the penitentiary, coming to realize the high price he must pay for his folly, may wish he had not committed the crime. That is not repentance. The vicious man who is serving a stiff sentence for rape may be very sorry he did the deed, but he is not repentant if his heavy sentence is the only reason for his sorrow. That is the sorrow of the world.

“The truly repentant man is sorry before he is apprehended. He is sorry even if his secret is never known. He desires to make voluntary amends. The culprit has not ‘godly sorrow’ who must be found out by being reported or by chains of circumstances which finally bring the offense to light. The thief is not repentant who continues in grave offenses until he is caught. Repentance of the godly type means that one comes to recognize the sin and voluntarily and without pressure from outside sources begins his transformation. Paul put it this way to the Corinthian saints:

‘Now I rejoice, not that ye were made sorry, but that ye sorrowed to repentance: for ye were made sorry after a godly manner, that ye might receive damage by us in nothing.

‘For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.’ (2 Cor. 7:9-10.)” (The Miracle of Forgiveness [salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1969], chap. 11)

Neal A. Maxwell

“After recognition, real remorse floods the soul. This is a ‘godly sorrow,’ not merely the ‘sorrow of the world’ nor the ‘sorrowing of the damned,’ when we can no longer ‘take happiness in sin.’ (2 Cor. 7:10; Morm. 2:13.) False remorse instead is like ‘fondling our failings.’ In ritual regret, we mourn our mistakes but without mending them.

“There can be no real repentance without personal suffering and the passage of sufficient time for the needed cleansing and turning. This is much more than merely waiting until feelings of remorse subside. Misery, like adversity, can have its special uses. No wonder chastening is often needed until the turning is really under way! (See D&C 1:27; Hel. 12:3.)

“Real remorse quickly brings forth positive indicators, ‘fruits meet for repentance.’ (Matt. 3:8; see also Acts 26:20; Alma 5:54.) ‘In process of time,’ these fruits bud, blossom, and ripen.” (“Repentance,” Ensign, Nov. 1991, 31)

Orson Pratt

“It would be of no use for the sinner to confess his sins to God unless he were determined to forsake them; it would be of no benefit to him to feel sorry that he had done wrong unless he intended to do wrong no more; it would be folly for him to confess before God that he injured his fellow man unless he were determined to do all in his power to make restitution. Repentance, then, is not only confession of sins, with a sorrowful, contrite heart, but a fixed, settled purpose to refrain from every evil way.” (Orson Pratt's Works [salt Lake City: Deseret News Press, 1945], 51 - 52.)

F. Burton Howard

“…in order to be forgiven, a transgressor must experience godly sorrow. (See 2 Cor. 7:10.) He must have anguish of soul and genuine regret. This sorrow must be strong enough and long enough to motivate the additional processes of repentance, or it is not deep enough. Regret must be great enough so as to bring forth a changed person. That person must demonstrate that he is different than before by doing different and better things. Have you been sorry enough?” (“Repentance,” Ensign, May 1983, 59)

Gordon B. Hinckley

“Repentance…is more than a word. It is an act that means sorrow, godly sorrow, and remorse and restitution and resolution. It involves pleading prayers for forgiveness, and promises, sincere and honest, to do better.” (“News of the Church,” Ensign, Sept. 1994, 76)

2 Cor. 8:12 it is accepted according to that a man hath, and not according to that he hath not

Bruce R. McConkie

“The widow's mite, how large it is on the ledgers of heaven!

“Out of their surplus, without sacrifice, often with selfish motives, frequently amid the blare of trumpets, rich men are sometimes wont to give to worthy causes. Meanwhile, the poor, out of their penury, unknown to their fellowmen, but because their hearts are right, sometimes give unheralded ‘mites’ to like worthy causes.

“Gift giving…must be measured in terms of capacity to give. The widow who cast in less than a half cent in American coinage, proportionately gave more than all the rich whose surpluses crammed the coffers in the temple court. See Luke 14:25-33

“This episode in Jewish life—and Jesus deliberately took occasion to call attention to it that it's lesson might be preserved—teaches that the giver is greater than the gift; that sacrifice of all, though such be small in amount, is greater than the largess of kings who neither miss nor need that which they give away; and that it is the intent of the heart, not the value of the gift, which counts on the eternal ledgers. ‘For if there be first a willing mind, it is accepted according to that a man hath, and not according to that he hath not.’ (2 Cor. 8:12.)” (Doctrinal New Testament Commentary, 3 vols. [salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1965-1973], 1: 628.)

James E. Talmage

“In the accounts kept by the recording angels, figured out according to the arithmetic of heaven, entries are made in terms of quality rather than of quantity, and values are determined on the basis of capability and intent. The rich gave much yet kept back more; the widow's gift was her all. It was not the smallness of her offering that made it especially acceptable, but the spirit of sacrifice and devout intent with which she gave. On the books of the heavenly accountants that widow's contribution was entered as a munificent gift, surpassing in worth the largess of kings. ‘For if there be first a willing mind, it is accepted according to that a man hath, and not according to that he hath not.’” (Jesus the Christ, 520)

Joseph Smith

“[God] will judge them ‘not according to what they have not, but according to what they have’ [2 Cor. 8:12]. Those who have lived without law will be judged without law, and those who have a law will be judged by that law. We need not doubt the wisdom and intelligence of the great Jehovah. He will award judgment or mercy to all nations according to their several deserts, their means of obtaining intelligence, the laws by which they are governed, the facilities afforded them of obtaining correct information, and his inscrutable designs in relation to the human family. And when the designs of God shall be made manifest and the curtain of futurity be withdrawn, we shall all of us eventually have to confess that the Judge of all the earth has done right.” (Kent P. Jackson, comp. and ed., Joseph Smith's Commentary on the Bible [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1994], 154.)

2 Cor. 9:6 he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully

“Brother Todd Parker, my seminary teacher, was a pole vaulter. One day he brought his pole to our class. He pushed the end of the pole into a corner on the floor and pushed with all his might. The pole bent, but immediately snapped back, throwing Brother Parker across the room. ‘You get out of it what you put into it,’ he said as he started to bend the pole again. Then getting up a second time he repeated, ‘You get out of it what you put into it!’ He then taught us the Law of the Harvest: ‘But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully’ (2 Corinthians 9:6). What an incredible lesson! I knew that if I was going to have a successful mission, I would need to prepare now (the sowing) for the reward later (the reaping). If I desired the reward to be bountiful, I would need to work even harder.” (Lisa Heckmann Olsen, Serving with Strength Throughout the World [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1994], 174.)

Elder Elray L. Christiansen

“It was not long ago that I was in one of the stakes in southern Idaho. I was asked to interview five young men between twenty-five and thirty-five years of age, most of them married and having one or two children, to see if they were ready to receive an office in the Melchizedek Priesthood for which they had been recommended. I received the thrill of my life. Somehow, I decided—I don't know whether I made a mistake or not—but I decided to see what the depth of their willingness to sacrifice was. As each one came into the room, I sat down with him, introduced myself, and became better acquainted with him. Then I stated that the Church had acquired a great tract of land in Brush Creek and wished to prepare it for settlement for the Saints. The water had to be brought on to it, the brush had to be cleared and the land leveled, homes built, schools erected, and all things must be done from scratch. It will be no easy thing. I said: ‘If you were asked to go, would take your wife and family and leave what you have and go to Brush Creek and settle it?’ Every one of those young men said yes.

“I said: ‘What would your wife think about it?’ In every case they said, in effect, ‘I am sure she would feel as I do, that if the Church required it, we would go.’ Then I explained that I had concocted the story.

“I felt like putting my arms around each of those young men. I commended them, and then I got down on my knees, and I thanked the Lord for such young men of this day who were ready to dedicate, to consecrate, to leave all that they had and go, no matter where they may be called to go and build up Zion. That is the test that we all should be ready to meet.

“There is a veritable army of men and women such as these in the quorums, in the missions, and in the wards and stakes, and in all places, where they serve without a thought of compensation There is no end to the list—the ward teachers, who do good jobs, all of those who serve, all of you. It is commendable, and it must be pleasing in the sight of the Lord. Among them, not to be overlooked, are those much unnoticed, unsung men and women, who day after day, month after month, year after year, labor in the temples of the Lord, giving vicarious service on behalf of the dead. Along with them are those who do research work, hiding behind desks and files, where nobody knows about them, spending hours and money and time and energy that the work might be perfected. It is one thing, you know, to do something for those who can return the goodness and who can thank you, but these people—this great arm of those who do vicarious service, with do not expect a return in thanks, at this time at least—I think win our mot sincere commendation and our admiration for that type of dedication.

“Paul has said that ‘. . . He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully. . . let him give, not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.’ (2 Cor. 9:6-7.)” (Conference Report, October 1955, Afternoon Meeting 123.)

Franklin D. Richards

“Sacrifice brings forth the blessings of heaven, and in this respect financial sacrifice means opportunities for great and varied blessings. Certainly the sacrifices entailed in contributing to the building program of the Church, both of time and means, are outstanding examples of giving one's all…The question is frequently asked, are people as dedicated today in building the kingdom as they were in former times. I feel that generally they are giving [their] all [although] today may in some respects be different from heretofore, but I see evidences every day where men women, and children are showing their love of God and their fellow men by their complete dedication. They are gladly giving their all in time, talents and means. I commend them for it. I counsel all others to put the Church first in their lives and reap the peace happiness, and contentment that come from giving their all through complete dedication.” (Conference Report, April 1964, Second Day—Morning Meeting 67.)