Day 31 September 9 - Philippians 1-1 Thessalonians 2

Let your requests be made known unto God

Cast thy burden upon the Lord, and he shall sustain thee: he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved. - Psalm 55:22

Commit thy works unto the Lord, and thy thoughts shall be established. - Proverbs 16:3

Scripture Reference: Philippians 4:5-7

5 Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.

6 Be bcareful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.

7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Elder Marion G. Romney, Conference Report, October 1944, Second Day - Morning Meeting

As there is no limitation as to when we should pray, so there seems to be no limitation as to where we should pray or what we should pray about.

. . . In every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. (Ph. 4:6.)

. . . Cry unto him for mercy; for he is mighty to save. . . Cry unto him when ye are in your fields, yea, over all your flocks. Cry unto him in your houses, yea, over all your household, both morning, mid-day, and evening. Yea, cry unto him against the power of your enemies. Yea, cry unto him against the devil, who is an enemy to all righteousness. Cry unto him over the crops of your fields, that ye may prosper in them. . . But this is not all; ye must pour out your souls in your closets, and your secret places, and in your wilderness. Yea, and when you do not cry unto the Lord, let your hearts be full, drawn out in prayer unto him continually for your welfare and also for the welfare of those who are around you. (Alma 34:18-27.)

Pray in your families unto the Father, always in my name [said the Savior]. that your wives and your children may be blessed. (III Nephi 18:21.)

. . . Pray vocally as well as in thy heart; yea, before the world as well as in secret, in public as well as in private. (Doc. and Cov. 19:28.)

Call upon the Lord, that his kingdom may go forth upon the earth. that the inhabitants thereof may receive it, and be prepared for the days to come, in the which the Son of Man shall come down in heaven, clothed in the brightness of his glory, to meet the kingdom of God which is set up on the earth.

Benjamin Franklin has expressed the natural feelings of a truly thankful person to repay in the future for all the blessings handed down from the past:

For my own part, when I am employed in serving others, I do not look upon myself as conferring favors but as paying debts. In my travels and since my settlement I have received much kindness from men and numberless mercies from God. Those kindnesses from men I can therefore only return to their fellowmen; and I can only show my gratitude for these mercies from God by my readiness to help my brethren. For I do not think that thanks and compliments, though repeated weekly, can discharge our real obligations to each other, and much less those to our Creator. Cicero rightly said that gratitude is the mother of all virtues. We in America, however, take too much for granted our blessings of freedom and plenty. Some of us have walked in among our privileges and sat down without a grateful thought. Yet with what sacrifice and suffering and even death have our liberties and privileges been paid for-by men in battle, women in prairie caravans, the toil in log houses, and the struggle for freedom of conscience! Each community is a long story of faith in education, medicine, sanitation, and love for the beautiful.

James E. Talmage taught:

Gratitude is an ennobling quality in man; and he in whose soul it has no place is a defective. Gratitude extends its beneficent influence even below the human plane, for it is manifested by the lower animals among themselves and toward man who has received dominion over them. The capacity to feel and the ability to express gratitude or thanks not only reaches below man's mentality and spiritual conception, but exists beyond and above him, for its source is divine. Our old friend Izaak Walton - he of fishing rod and stream - expressed this amusing thought: "God has two dwellings: one in heaven, and the other in a meek and thankful heart."

Gratitude is twin sister to humility; pride is a foe to both. The man who has come into close communion with God cannot fail to be thankful; for he feels, he knows, that for all he has and all he is, he is indebted to the Supreme Giver; and one would think that there is no need of commandment in the matter of thanksgiving. Yet we find that because of man's propensities toward forgetfulness and selfishness the Scriptures abound in admonitions to render thanks unto the Lord.

Llyod D. Newell, May Peace Be With You

Yes, the greatest miracle of all communication is the power of prayer. It's a privilege God has given each of us to communicate directly with Him. And, because of His great love for us, He has set no limitation as to when, where, and what we should pray about. As the Apostle Paul wrote, "In every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God."

Exercising our privilege to pray is an essential ingredient to finding joy and happiness in today's world. Dr. Alexis Carrel has written, "Only in prayer do we achieve that complete and harmonious assembly of body, mind and spirit which gives the frail human its unshakable strength."

Philippians 1 Introduction

“Written to: The church at Philippi in Macedonia, probably the first branch established in Europe. (See Acts 16.)

“Author: The apostle Paul.

“Where written: Traditionally from Rome (Philip. 1:13, Philip. 4:22), where Paul was held prisoner awaiting trial ‘in my bonds’ (Philip. 1:7, 13, 16).

When written: Apparently near the end of Paul’s first imprisonment at Rome, about A.D. 61–62.

“Purpose of the letter:

“The Philippian saints had sent Epaphroditus to Rome to take gifts to Paul (Philip. 4:18) and to minister to his needs (Philip. 2:25). Paul sensed the longing of Epaphroditus to return home after a near-fatal illness and decided to send him back. This decision furnished an occasion for the letter.

“Unlike most of Paul’s other epistles, this one did not seem to be prompted by major doctrinal squabbles or moral difficulties among the saints, but was rather ‘a letter of friendship, full of affection, confidence, good counsel and good cheer. It is the happiest of St. Paul’s writings, for the Philippians were the dearest of his children in the faith.’ (J. R. Dummelow, The One Volume Bible Commentary, New York: MacMillan Co., 1936, p. 969.)” (J. Lewis Taylor, “New Testament Backgrounds: Philippians,” Ensign, Mar. 1976, 38)

Philip 1:2-3 I thank my God upon every remembrance of you

Chieko Okazaki

May this be our blessing, too (Philip. 1:2-6)—that as members of families, as circles of friends, and as ward members, we will hold each other in remembrance, and that together we can remember Jesus Christ, our beloved Savior, and the good work he is performing in us. I pray that we will all remember that the Lord is our shepherd, that he loves us, and that we will be good undershepherds, giving love and care to those we come in contact with. I pray that we will have hearts quick to remember and slow to forget, and that as a result of our remembrance we will have hearts filled with gratitude. (Sanctuary [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1997], 127.)

Philip 1:10 approve things that are excellent

Bruce R. McConkie

“The gospel embraces all truth. Every good thing comes from God. If the world has any edifying principle, any sound practice, any true doctrine, it is automatically accepted by the true Church. Converts to the Church never forsake anything they believe which is good and true; they simply gain the added light and knowledge which God has given by revelation to his servants the prophets. Thus we find Joseph Smith, building upon the concept here given by Paul, saying… “If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.” (Thirteenth Article of Faith.).” (Doctrinal New Testament Commentary, 3 vols. [salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1965-1973], 2:543)

Philippians 2:2 be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind

“Whereas the spirit of the world divides, the Spirit of God unites. Whereas the spirit of the world encourages divisive competition, the Spirit of God prompts us to look to the needs of others and to cooperate. In short, whereas the spirit of the world celebrates diversity as an end in itself, the Spirit of God calls us to unity in all our diversity.” (Robert L. Millet, Alive in Christ: The Miracle of Spiritual Rebirth [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1997], 124-125.)

Wilford Woodruff

With all the divisions, and all the discontent, and the quarrelings and opposition among the powers on earth, or that have been revealed from heaven, I have never heard that it has ever been revealed to the children of men that there was any division between God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Ghost. They are one. They always have been one. They always will be one, from eternity unto eternity. (The Discourses of Wilford Woodruff, edited by G. Homer Durham [salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1969], 127.)

Joseph F. Smith

Whatever creates a discord in the spirit and unity of the Saints is of evil origin. The Spirit of God never begets strife, nor does it set up and insist on distinctions among those who have been its recipients. (Gospel Doctrine: Selections from the Sermons and Writings of Joseph F. Smith, compiled by John A. Widtsoe [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1939], 115.)

Gordon B. Hinckley

The Lord said, Except ye are one, ye are not mine. (D&C 38:27.) This great unity is the hallmark of the true church of Christ. It is felt among our people throughout the world. As we are one, we are his. (“Except Ye Are One,” Ensign, November 1983, p. 5.)

Stephen L. Richards

Our unanimity of thought and action does not arise, as some suppose, from duress or compulsion in any form. Our accord comes from universal agreement with righteous principles and common response to the operation of the Spirit of our Father. It is actuated by no fear except one. That is the fear of offending God, the Author of our work. (Conference Report, October 1938, p. 116.)

Philippians 2:12 work out your own salvation with fear and trembling

In the long debate between Mormons and Protestants, the issue of salvation by grace versus works has been perhaps the point of greatest debate. The Mormon position has depended on passages from James and this passage from Paul. Salvation by “works” as some have taught it, required an individual to “work out your own salvation with fear and trembling” as if salvation was ours for taking—as if works performed with “fear and trembling” could bring salvation in and of themselves. In our fervor to explain the necessity of works, we have at times distorted the reality that salvation is dependent on the grace of God, after all we can do, in spite of all we can do, regardless of all we can do. (2 Ne. 25:23)

Indeed, we are to work out our own salvation—living and striving as if everything depends on us, but praying and worshipping as if everything depends on the Lord. Working out our salvation separate from the mercy and grace of Christ is an empty exercise. It is a tiring and exhausting work-out, increasing neither strength nor endurance. Paul never meant us to work out our own salvation separate from Christ. Rather, he reminded us that even our good works are graced by divine influence, “For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.” (v. 13)

Dallin H. Oaks

Are Latter-day Saints susceptible to such heresies? The Apostle Paul wrote that we should “work out [our] own salvation with fear and trembling.” (Philip. 2:12.) Could that familiar expression mean that the sum total of our own righteousness will win us salvation and exaltation? Could some of us believe that our heavenly parentage and our divine destiny allow us to pass through mortality and attain eternal life solely on our own merits?

On the basis of what I have heard, I believe that some of us, some of the time, say things that can create that impression. We can forget that keeping the commandments, which is necessary, is not sufficient. As Nephi said, we must labor diligently to persuade everyone “to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do.” (2 Ne. 25:23.)

In his famous poem “Invictus,” William Ernest Henley hurled man’s challenge against Fate. With head “bloody, but unbowed,” determined man is unconquerable. The last verse reads:

It matters not how strait the gate,

How charged with punishments the scroll,

I am the master of my fate.

I am the captain of my soul.

(Out of the Best Books, 5 vols., ed. Bruce B. Clark and Robert K. Thomas, Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1968, 4:93.)

…Man unquestionably has impressive powers and can bring to pass great things by tireless efforts and indomitable will. But after all our obedience and good works, we cannot be saved from the effect of our sins without the grace extended by the atonement of Jesus Christ. (“What Think Ye of Christ?” Ensign, Nov. 1988, 66–67)

Philippians 2:15 in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation…shine as lights in the world

Neal A. Maxwell

Afflicted with anguish, some wander to and fro upon the earth in search of truth without knowing where to find it….

Such is the scene, therefore, of which we are a part. Many reject the scriptures, the moral memory of mankind, and then declare absolutely the absence of absolutes. Others reject the light of the gospel and then grump over the growing darkness. Still others cut themselves off from God and lament the loneliness of the universe. Some pursue the paths of him who openly desires mankind’s misery (see 2 Ne. 2:27), and then bemoan their discontent.

…With ultimate hope, however, we can live cheerfully amid proximate insecurity. Life is a test in which man must overcome by faith, walking on the strait and narrow path—which is surely no escalator—but the path is there!… We are custodians and possessors of a gospel of bright and realistic hope. It is a hope for which many hunger more deeply than we can possibly imagine.

…God bless you faithful brothers and sisters for shining “as lights in the world” (Philip. 2:15), as beacons to dispel despair. To a world spiritually illiterate, you give great lessons in the grammar of the gospel. (“Shine As Lights in the World,” Ensign, May 1983, 11)

Neal A. Maxwell

In such a climactic time as the last days, we shall see things both wonderful and awful. Joel and Zephaniah prophesied that the last times would be a “day of gloominess” (Joel 2:2; Zeph. 1:15). Even so, this is all the more reason for us to “shine as lights in the world” (Philip. 2:15). So illuminated, we can better help to gather the Lord's flock in “the last days” from wherever they have been scattered in the “cloudy and dark day” (Ezek. 30:3; Ezek. 34:12).

Yet even as some things clearly worsen in the world, the true Saints will simply get better. (One More Strain of Praise [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1999], 18.)

Neal A. Maxwell

When we learn to “shine as lights in the world” (Philip. 2:15) there is no need to seek to be in the spotlight. Such lesser incandescence is of no interest. (Men and Women of Christ, p. 28.)

Philippians 3:10 the fellowship of his sufferings

None of us will ever suffer as Christ suffered when he paid the price of the sins of the world. In this respect, we may feel unworthy to compare our sufferings with His. The cup the Father asks us to drink is certainly not as bitter. Yet with the exception of that remarkable and incomprehensible sacrifice, there are many saints, apostles, and prophets who have suffered as Christ has—even unto death. Many have been beaten; many have been spit upon; many have been ridiculed; and many have been killed. These are they who have been made “partakers of Christ’s sufferings.” (1 Pet. 4:12-13)

As Peter taught, “Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps.” (1 Pet. 2:21). “Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you: But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ’s sufferings; that when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy.” (1 Pet. 4:12-13) “All they who suffer persecution for my name, and endure in faith, though they are called to lay down their lives for my sake yet shall they partake of all this glory. Wherefore, fear not even unto death; for in this world your joy is not full, but in me your joy is full.” (D&C 101:35-36)

Neal A. Maxwell

Mortal experience points evermore to the Atonement of Jesus Christ as the central act of all human history. The more I learn and experience, the more unselfish, stunning, and encompassing His Atonement becomes!

When we take Jesus’ yoke upon us, this admits us eventually to what Paul called the “fellowship of [Christ’s] sufferings” (Philip. 3:10). Whether illness or aloneness, injustice or rejection, etc., our comparatively small-scale sufferings, if we are meek, will sink into the very marrow of the soul. We then better appreciate not only Jesus’ sufferings for us, but also His matchless character, moving us to greater adoration and even emulation.

Alma revealed that Jesus knows how to succor us in the midst of our griefs and sicknesses precisely because Jesus has already borne our griefs and sicknesses (see Alma 7:11–12). He knows them firsthand; thus His empathy is earned. Of course, we do not comprehend it fully any more than we understand how He bore all mortal sins, but His Atonement remains the rescuing and reassuring reality. (“From Whom All Blessings Flow,” Ensign, May 1997, 12)

Neal A. Maxwell

President [brigham] Young said of Jesus, “Why should we imagine for one moment that we can be prepared to enter into the kingdom of rest with him and the Father, without passing through similar ordeals?” (Discourses of Brigham Young, sel. John A. Widtsoe [1941], 346). The Apostle Paul noted how this sacred process produces an exclusive cadre—those who have known the “fellowship of [Christ’s] sufferings” (Philip. 3:10). These are they who will have the greatest capacity for endless service, joy, and happiness. (“Enduring Well,” Ensign, Apr. 1997, 8)

Philippians 3:15 as many as be perfect

While perfect submission to the will of the Lord is possible in mortality (Job 1:1, Moses 8:27, D&C 107:43), only the Savior has lived a sin-free life. Paul is referencing those saints, whose righteous desires are great enough to bring them to the brink of perfection, not through their own merits, but by the grace of Christ. These are those striving for perfection, and we might paraphrase Paul’s words as follows, “as many as would be perfect.”

Howard W. Hunter

The word saint does not mean that any of us is perfect. What it does mean is that we are all trying, all serving, and all vowing to stand firm in the faith. (“Am I a ‘Living’ Member?” Ensign, May 1987, 17)

Theodore M. Burton

I dare not say that Mormons are perfect, for you know as well as I do that we each have many human faults. We do, however, call ourselves saints as did the members of the Church of Jesus Christ in the days of the original apostles. When those apostles wrote letters to the members of the Church they addressed them as saints. A saint is not necessarily a person who is perfect, but he is a person who strives for perfection—one who tries to overcome those faults and failings which take him away from God. A true saint will seek to change his manner of living to conform more closely to the ways of the Lord.

It is true that we each have imperfections to overcome. Life is a constant series of challenges and trials. Notwithstanding, we should never fail to strive for that perfection of life which can bring us closer into harmony with God. As the apostle Paul said in writing to the Philippians:

I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. Let us therefore, as many as [would] be [come] perfect, be thus minded: and if in anything ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you.” (Philip. 3:14–15.)

Thus we should seek to overcome any discovered fault in our characters which tends to take us away from a total commitment to God.

I would like to speak about that principle of dedication or total commitment. It appears to me that when we join the Church of Jesus Christ and especially when we receive the oath and covenant of the priesthood, we should commit ourselves wholly and completely to the cause of God. By this I do not mean we need give up our daily occupations or our interests in the daily affairs of mankind unless we are called by authority from God to do so. I do mean that a true change must occur in our thinking so complete and so total that our very lives are changed for the better as far as our attitudes and our actions are concerned.

A person’s attitude is perhaps the hardest of all personal attributes to change. If your attitude is right, then your life is made right. If your heart is touched, your mind and way of thinking will change and your life will change for the better accordingly. I believe we must become so immersed in the gospel of Jesus Christ that we become physically as well as mentally more and more like the Lord himself. We must yield our whole hearts to him. What we then do is done not because we are asked to, nor because we are forced to, but because we want to. Neither pressure nor force can be exerted upon us from outside, when what we do is done because it is our own choice and desire. It then makes no difference to us what other men may think, or say, or do. Our hearts being committed wholly to God, what we do is done out of our love for and our trust in him. We then serve God in every way we can because we have been converted, our attitude has been changed and we now desire to become like him both spiritually and physically. (“The Need for Total Commitment,” Ensign, Jan. 1974, 114-115)

Philippians 4:3 those women which laboured with me in the gospel

Joe J. Christensen

Women who are called as missionaries render outstanding service, and they have been doing so for a long time. The Apostle Paul received help on his mission from Lydia and other sisters in Philippi. When he wrote his epistle to the Philippians, he asked them to “help those women which laboured with me in the gospel.” (Philippians 4:3.) Early in this dispensation, in the August 1840 Millennial Star, Parley P. Pratt emphasized, “It is their privilege. . . to labour with us in the gospel, like the holy women in the days of Paul.” (Joe J. and Barbara K. Christensen, Making Your Home a Missionary Training Center [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1985], 86.)

Philippians 4:5 Let your moderation be known unto all men

Joseph Smith

In all matters, temporal or spiritual, preaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ, or in leading an army to battle, victory almost entirely depends upon good order and moderation. (Encyclopedia of Joseph Smith's Teachings, edited by Larry E. Dahl and Donald Q.Cannon [salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1997], “Moderation”)

Ezra Taft Benson

The condition of the physical body can affect the spirit. That’s why the Lord gave us the Word of Wisdom. He also said that we should retire to our beds early and arise early (see D&C 88:124), that we should not run faster than we have strength (see D&C 10:4), and that we should use moderation in all good things. In general, the more food we eat in its natural state—without additives—and the less it is refined, the healthier it will be for us. Food can affect the mind, and deficiencies of certain elements in the body can promote mental depression. A good physical examination periodically is a safeguard and may spot problems that can be remedied. Rest and physical exercise are essential, and a walk in the fresh air can refresh the spirit. Wholesome recreation is part of our religion and is a necessary change of pace; even its anticipation can lift the spirit. (“Do Not Despair,” Ensign, Oct. 1986, 2, 4)

M. Russell Ballard

To you who feel harried and overwhelmed and who wonder whether you ever will be able to run fast enough to catch the departing train you think you should be on, I suggest that you learn to deal with each day as it comes, doing the best you can, without feelings of guilt or inadequacy. … No one can do everything. … Remember, our Heavenly Father never expects more of us than we can do. (Ensign, Nov. 1991, p. 95.)

Brigham Young

By temperance and moderation lay the foundation for the development of the mind.

…As I said to the brethren the other day in the Thirteenth Ward schoolhouse, with regard to worldly pleasure, comfort, and enjoyment: you may take as much as you please of the Spirit of the Lord, and it will not make your stomach or head ache. You may drink nine cups of strong spiritual drink, and it will not hurt you; but if you drink nine cups of strong tea, see what it will do for you. (Discourses of Brigham Young, selected and arranged by John A. Widtsoe [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1954], 182.)

Philippians 4:8 The Admonition of Paul

Of all the admonitions of Paul, of all his inspired advice, of all his exhortations, Joseph Smith included this one as the thirteenth article of our faith. It is an admonition for the saints to search out all good. While the world accuses us of being closed-minded, the opposite should really be the case. We reject evil in all of its manifestations but accept every form of goodness and righteousness throughout the earth—in whatever form it may be. As Mormon taught, “Wherefore, all things, which are good cometh of God…that which is of God inviteth and enticeth to do good continually; wherefore, every thing which inviteth and enticeth to do good, and to love God, and to serve him is inspired of God.” (Moro. 7:12-13) How broad and all encompassing is this doctrine? It acknowledges the good in all men of all religions, from all sources, from all cultures. It spans the best of literature, philosophy, and government as well as the best of fashion, entertainment, and music.

David B. Haight

On March 1, 1842, Joseph Smith, at the request of Mr. John Wentworth, editor of a Chicago newspaper, composed thirteen brief statements known as the Articles of Faith, which summarize some of the basic doctrines of the Church. As the concluding statement, the Prophet wrote this inspired code of conduct: (quotes A of F 1:13).

What an inspiring description of good people, God-fearing people, people committed to deal justly with mankind! These would be the type of people who could raise up a nation and help it survive, and the kind of people to comprehend the true gospel of Jesus Christ with the needed faith to proclaim it to the inhabitants of the earth. (“Ethics and Honesty,” Ensign, Nov. 1987, 13–14)

Gordon B. Hinckley

That article of our faith is one of the basic declarations of our theology… We ought to reflect on it again and again. I wish that every family in the Church would write out that article of faith and put it on a mirror where every member of the family would see it every day. Then, whenever we might be tempted to do anything shoddy or dishonest or immoral, there would come into our minds with some force this great, all encompassing statement of the ethics of our behavior. There would be less rationalizing over some elements of our personal conduct which we try to justify with one excuse or another. (“Fear Not to Do Good,” Ensign, May 1983, 80)

James E. Talmage

In this article of their faith, the Latter-day Saints declare their acceptance of a practical religion; a religion that shall consist, not alone of professions in spiritual matters… but also, and more particularly, of present and every-day duties, in which proper respect for self, love for fellow men, and devotion to God are the guiding principles. Religion without morality, professions of godliness without charity, church-membership without adequate responsibility as to individual conduct in daily life, are but as sounding brass and tinkling cymbals—noise without music, the words without the spirit of prayer…

The comprehensiveness of our faith must appeal to every earnest investigator of the principles taught by the Church… Within the pale of the Church there is a place for all truth—for everything that is praiseworthy, virtuous, lovely, or of good report. (Articles of Faith [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1981], 390.)

Colossians 1 Historical Background

“Sent from: Paul, probably at Rome, joined by Timothy.

Sent to: Members at Colossae, in west central Asia minor.

Date: About A.D. 61.

Purpose: To strengthen the branchon the return of Onesimus and to correct the false doctrine of ‘worshipping of angels.’

Main themes: The Godhead; errors about Christ, days, and diet; developing celestial qualities.

“Colossae lay in a high valley with mountain scenery resembling the arid west of the United States. A hundred miles east of Ephesus… it was on the east-west trade route. Christianity later marched the hundred miles from the coast to Colossae, for Paul was at Ephesus and reached ‘all Asia’ with the gospel message (Acts 19:26). The regional economy depended not only on trade but also on grazing lands that supported the wool industry in Colossae and in nearby Laodicea… Hierapolis and these two cities formed a triangle with sides about ten miles long. In writing to Colossae, Paul also named ‘them that are in Laodicea, and them in Hierapolis’ (Col. 4:13). Substantial ruins of the latter city are spread out around its well-preserved stone theater. It was built adjacent to massive hot springs that attracted religious and recreational pilgrims. But Laodicea was the major city of the area in Paul's day. Just before Paul, Strabo wrote that Laodicea ‘grew large in our time and in that of our fathers.’ That geographer paid tribute to its ‘fertile territory’ and the private wealth of some of its citizens. Its ruins, including its theater, are badly deteriorated, but Laodicea's stone-strewn area is massive. Although Hierapolis is merely mentioned in Paul's Colossian letter, Laodicea is prominent, probably reflecting the size of the Church in that large city. Laodicea was possibly the regional center of Church administration. Three decades later John sent his letter to Laodicea as the most important branch of the Church in that area.

“…Paul's knowledge of the current problems of that area came through this missionary (Epaphras) with their interest at heart. And Paul apparently wanted them to know that negative information was relayed for their benefit, since Epaphras has a ‘great zeal for you, and them that are in Laodicea, and them in Hierapolis’ (Col. 4:13). Only the letter to Colossians survives, but the lost Laodicean letter must have also included correction. That nearby branch probably had as many members as that at Colossae and was likely affected by the same false teaching.

“What was the ‘Colossian heresy’? Biographies and commentaries discuss it but add little more than Colossians itself discloses. Some were debasing Christ's divinity and role in the Godhead, for "Col. 2:1 refutes those who fail to hold Christ as ‘the Head’ (Col. 2:19), whereas chapter 1 has Paul's most sustained testimony of the divinity and power of the Son. There is little contemporary religious information, but the writings of John went to the same locality some forty years later.” (Richard Lloyd Anderson, Understanding Paul [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1983], 246 - 247.)

“The predominant theme of the letter is the preeminence of Christ. Paul denounced the Colossian heresy by stressing the supreme majesty, divinity, and power of the Savior. The saints were warned against seeking any person, philosophy, or tradition of men, however clever or sophisticated, as a substitute for the real thing—a life in the Savior. Because of the atonement, Jesus Christ is sufficient for all men in all things (Col. 1:18), the ritual of Judaism having been but ‘a shadow of things to come’ (Col. 2:17). Thus, the saints were admonished to hold fast to him, to set their affections on him, and to ‘walk … in him.’ (Col. 2:6–7; Col. 3:1–2.)” (J. Lewis Taylor, “New Testament Backgrounds: Colossians,” Ensign, Mar. 1976, 39)

Colossians 1:10 That ye might walk worthy of the Lord… being fruitful in every good work

One way we can “walk worthy of the Lord” and please him is to follow the counsel of his prophets in holding a current temple recommend.

Howard W. Hunter

Every adult member should be temple worthy. The Lord desires that his people be a temple-motivated people. It would be the deepest desire of my heart to have every member of the Church be temple worthy. I would hope that every adult member would be worthy of—and carry—a current temple recommend, even if proximity to a temple does not allow immediate or frequent use of it.

Let us be a temple-attending and a temple-loving people. Let us hasten to the temple as frequently as time and means and personal circumstances allow…

We must live worthy to enter the temple. We must keep the commandments of our Lord. If we can pattern our life after the Master, and take his teaching and example as the supreme pattern for our own, we will not find it difficult to be temple worthy, to be consistent and loyal in every walk of life, for we will be committed to a single, sacred standard of conduct and belief. (The Teachings of Howard W. Hunter, edited by Clyde J. Williams [salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1997], 239.)

Colossians 1:18 he is the head of the body, the church

Gordon B. Hinckley

I know that I am not the head of this church… The Lord Jesus Christ is its head. He is its living head. My mission, my chief responsibility, my greatest honor comes in bearing solemn testimony of His living reality. Jesus Christ is the Son of God, who condescended to come into this world of misery, struggle, and pain to touch men’s hearts for good, to teach the way of eternal life, and to give of Himself as a sacrifice for the sins of all mankind. (“News of the Church,” Ensign, Feb. 1996, 76)

Howard W. Hunter

My greatest strength through these past months has been my abiding testimony that this is the work of God and not of men. Jesus Christ is the head of this church. He leads it in word and deed. I am honored beyond expression to be called for a season to be an instrument in his hands to preside over his church. But without the knowledge that Christ is the head of the Church, neither I nor any other man could bear the weight of the calling that has come. (“Exceeding Great and Precious Promises,” Ensign, Nov. 1994, 7)

Gordon B. Hinckley

Now brethren, let it be understood by all that Jesus Christ stands at the head of this church which bears His sacred name. He is watching over it. He is guiding it. Standing at the right hand of His Father, He directs this work. His is the prerogative, the power, the option to call men in His way to high and sacred offices and to release them according to His will by calling them home. (“God Is at the Helm,” Ensign, May 1994, 59)

Joseph B. Wirthlin

I am grateful to know that our Lord and Savior stands at the head of this church and directs it through his servants. This is the Lord’s church; it is not a church of men. The Brethren of its presiding councils are called of God; their only motive is to serve according to his will in humility “with all [their] heart, might, mind and strength” (D&C 4:2). (“Our Lord and Savior,” Ensign, Nov. 1993, 6)

Colossians 2:2 that their hearts might be… knit together in love

Joseph B. Wirthlin

We need to pray for the gift of love so that those whom we serve will feel our love. Just as Christ’s followers were bound one to another by his love, so too should the members in each ward and branch be “knit together in love” (Col. 2:2). (“Guided by His Exemplary Life,” Ensign, Sept. 1995, 37)

Cheiko Okazaki

President Hinckley said something that I just love about our patterns of interconnectedness in the Church. He said: “To those of the Church, all within the sound of my voice, I give the challenge [to] … never lose sight of the whole majestic and wonderful picture of the purpose of this, the dispensation of the fulness of times. Weave beautifully your small thread in the grand tapestry, the pattern for which was laid out for us by the God of heaven.” (Ensign, Nov. 1989, p. 54.)

We may not know what contribution our small thread makes to the great tapestry. We may not understand the pattern that our lives make as they intersect, connect, separate, and intersect again, but God does. (“Cat’s Cradle of Kindness,” Ensign, May 1993, 84)

Colossians 3:2 Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth

Hugh B. Brown

So many men spend their lifetime accumulating this world's goods, and sometimes they are not particular how they get them; but most men, if they live to old age, get a new sense of values, but too often it is too late.

May I illustrate my point by referring to an experience I had in 1917 as I was returning from my first trip overseas in World War I where I was serving with the Canadian Army. I arrived in New York and while there learned of the presence in the hospital of an aged man whom I had known. As I had some time before the train left for the West, I called on him in the hospital. He was a very wealthy man, had racing stables in Cuba, in the Northwest, and in California, had millions invested in various places, but at the age of eighty he was lying at death's door.

As I stood by his bedside and thought over various parts of his life as I had known it, as I thought of his divorced wife, of his five children, all of whom were estranged, and none of whom cared enough to come to the hospital to see him, as I thought of the things he had lost which money could not buy and noted his tragic situation and the depth of his misery, I asked him what he would do if he had the privilege of living his life over again and could start it with the wisdom which had come through the years, what he considered the real values in life as he stood near the end of it. I asked him what he considered the most important things in life, and if he would tell me as a young man how I could get the greatest riches and enjoy them when I grew old.

This old gentleman, who died a few days later, said to me, “As I think back over life the most important and valuable asset which I might have had but which I lost in the process of accumulating millions, was the simple faith my mother had in God and in the immortality of the soul.”

…That was the dying testimony of a man who was born in the Church but had drifted far from it. That was the brokenhearted cry of a lonely man who could have anything that money could buy, but who had lost the most important things of life in order to accumulate this world's goods. He realized as he lay upon his deathbed that he could not take any of it with him. (Continuing the Quest [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1961], 33-34.)

Robert E. Wells

It is true that if your treasures are on earth you will be reluctant to do those things, such as serving the Lord as missionaries, that lead to earning celestial treasures. The apostle Paul taught, “Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.” (Colossians 3:2.) In other words, sell everything, buy a small condominium that can be left alone while you are serving, and go out to serve the Lord. And if everything goes up in smoke or downstream with a flood, the Lord will help you through it somehow. At least you have proven you will serve him, no matter what the cost or sacrifice. (The Mount and the Master [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1991], 155.)

Colossians 3:16 psalms and hymns and spiritual songs

“The Apostle Paul also commented on appropriate worship through hymn singing: ‘Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord’ (Col. 3:16; italics added).

“It is obvious to musician and nonmusician alike that some of the hymns in our present collection are musically more satisfying than others and that some texts are more beautifully and accurately expressed. But the real value of any hymn is measured by the way people respond to it.

“If we sing ‘with grace in [our] hearts,’ as the Apostle Paul admonished us to do, our effort will be pleasing to the Lord. If we sing with a spirit of conviction and worship (even those of us who say we can’t sing or read music), we can be moved to reflect upon the beauties of the gospel and further commit to live its principles.

“Music speaks to us through the language of the heart. And through music, we speak to God. Indeed, the Lord said: ‘My soul delighteth in the song of the heart; yea, the song of the righteous is a prayer unto me, and it shall be answered with a blessing upon their heads’ (D&C 25:12).” (Joyce P. Brown, “I Have a Question,” Ensign, Oct. 1980, 35)

1 Thes. 1 Introduction

“These ‘Letters to Recent Converts’ show an intense personal relationship, for Paul had been away from Thessalonica only a short time. But he was still in communication, writing about 250 miles away as messengers brought word of the personal and doctrinal struggles of the new members. Thus he taught Church doctrines and encouraged living by Christ's standards. Paul created relationships similar to the powerful ones that the Savior created while on earth. The opposite of distant abstractions, these letters reach out not only with the truth, but also with an intense desire that these converts live up to the truth.

Sent from: Paul, at Corinth, joined by Timothy and Silvanus (Silas).

Sent to: Converts at Thessalonica, largest city in northern Greece.

Date: Probably early in A.D. 50.

Purpose: To express gratitude for their faithfulness and give encouragement after Timothy and Silas brought word from them.

Main themes: The meaning of conversion; missionary leadership; Church standards of living; resurrection and Christ's coming.

Background: The City

“Today, Thessalonica is the largest city in northern Greece, a busy port and manufacturing and marketing center with a population of nearly half a million. Similar economic forces made it a major business and political center in Paul's time, though the population was not as great. It was the capital of Roman administration in northern Greece, the province of Macedonia. And Strabo says that Thessalonica was ‘more populous than the other’ Macedonian cities.” (Richard Lloyd Anderson, Understanding Paul [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1983], 69-70.)

1 Thes. 1:3 your work of faith, and labour of love, and patience of hope

Almost in passing, Paul gives us an interesting version of the “faith, hope, and charity” theme. He reminds us that individual faith takes work, that hope requires patience, and that charity is really a labor of love. Indeed, the seed of faith cannot be planted without first breaking through the encrusted surface of disbelief; it cannot sprout without the necessary ingredients of living water and the light of the Son of God; it will never survive without regular weeding and nourishing. The process of building individual faith requires continual effort. The more we work at it, the more we develop it.

Our hope is to be centered in Jesus Christ. Specifically, our faith gives us the hope that someday we will be raised up in a glorious resurrection by the atoning sacrifice of the Savior. This hope becomes an anchor to the soul (Heb. 6:19). But it requires patience to stay anchored amidst the oncoming storms of mortality, especially when the storms seem so imminent and the resurrection so distant.

Finally, the truest expression of charity if found in the labors of love performed for our fellowmen. Any love which never finds expression in good works is not charity.

John A. Widstoe

“Love is the beginning and end of God's labor for man. Whatever is of God is founded in love. It is this principle that supports every doctrine and activity of the restored gospel…But, love is a positive active force. It helps the loved one. If there is need, love tries to supply it. If there is weakness, love supplants it with strength. The loved one is upheld; she may lean safely upon the shoulder of true love. This applies to any human venture or relationship. Love that does not help is a faked or transient love.” (An Understandable Religion [independence, Mo.: Zion's Printing and Publishing Co., 1944], 72.)

Neal A. Maxwell

“…those who have prevailed ‘by the patience of hope and the labor of love’ will hear in the final judgment these glad words, ‘Well and faithfully done; enter into my joy and sit down on my throne.’ (Hymns, no. 217)” (Cory H. Maxwell, ed., The Neal A. Maxwell Quote Book [salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1997], 358.)