Day 37 September 15 - I John 2 - Jude

• 2 weeks later...

The Second Coming Of Christ

But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him. For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep. For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. Wherefore comfort one another with these words. - 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18

And after this another angel shall sound, which is the second trump; and then cometh the redemption of those who are Christ's at his coming; who have received their part in that prison which is prepared for them, that they might receive the gospel, and be judged according to men in the flesh. - D&C 88:99

Scripture Reference: Jude 1:14-16

14 And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints,
15 To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard speeches which ungodly sinners have spoken against him.
16 These are murmurers, complainers, walking after their own lusts; and their mouth speaketh great swelling words, having men’s persons in admiration because of advantage.

Scripture References Concerning Enoch:

Moses 6:27

And he heard a voice from heaven, saying: Enoch, my son, prophesy unto this people, and say unto them—Repent, for thus saith the Lord: I am angry with this people, and my fierce anger is kindled against them; for their hearts have waxed hard, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes cannot see afar off;

Moses 7:65

And it came to pass that Enoch saw the day of the coming of the Son of Man, in the last days, to dwell on the earth in righteousness for the space of a thousand years;

Hebrews 11:5

By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God.

Genesis 5:23

And all the days of Enoch were three hundred sixty and five years:

President James E. Faust, "The Restoration of All Things," Ensign, May 2006, 61–62, 67–68

Some of the early Apostles knew that an apostasy would occur before the Second Coming of the Lord Jesus Christ. To the Thessalonians, Paul wrote concerning this event, "Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first."

With this falling away, priesthood keys were lost, and some precious doctrines of the Church organized by the Savior were changed. Among these were baptism by immersion; receiving the Holy Ghost by the laying on of hands; the nature of the Godhead—that They are three distinct personages; all mankind will be resurrected through the Atonement of Christ, "both … the just and the unjust"; continuous revelation—that the heavens are not closed; and temple work for the living and the dead.

The period that followed came to be known as the Dark Ages. This falling away was foreseen by the Apostle Peter, who declared that "heaven must receive [Jesus Christ] until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began." Restitution would only be necessary if these precious things had been lost.

In the centuries that followed, religious men came to recognize that there had been a gradual falling away from the Church organized by Jesus Christ. Some of them suffered greatly for their beliefs, in what came to be called the Reformation, a sixteenth-century movement that aimed at reforming Western Christianity. This resulted in the separation of the Protestant churches from the main Christian church.

Elder John B. Dickson, "Commitment to the Lord," Ensign, May 2007, 14–15

You have come into this world at a time that has been anticipated from the beginning—a time prior to the Second Coming of the Lord, in which, on one hand, the gospel of Jesus Christ has been restored in its fulness and, on the other, there is great turmoil, confusion, and wickedness. The proving ground that you were born into is wonderful, affording great opportunities, but at the same time there is danger in abundance, even danger to one’s very soul. Now is the time to commit yourself to the Lord as to what you will become during this mortal probation. Along with your parents, living prophets, and the scriptures, the Holy Ghost will help you distinguish between right and wrong so correct decisions can be made.

As members of the Church we have been baptized and have made a covenant to take upon us the name of Jesus Christ and keep God’s commandments. If mistakes are made, the gospel allows us to sincerely repent and be forgiven. Your commitment can begin from where you are presently, whether young or old, including repenting and forsaking sin where mistakes have already been made.

The Lord promises great, eternal blessings to His righteous, repentant children, but knowing there is great danger here in this life, He has commanded us, saying, "Beware concerning yourselves, to give diligent heed to the words of eternal life" (D&C 84:43). Because He loves us and wants us back, this commandment to "beware concerning [ourselves]" prompts us to be careful concerning everything about us—the type of social settings we enter, what we see and read, the media and entertainment we choose, the music we listen to, and more.

Elder G. Homer Durham, "The Future History of the Church," Ensign, May 1982, 67

Great events lie before us, leading to the second coming of Christ. What is the significance of the many new temples that are being announced? What is implied for us in the revelation to the Prophet Joseph Smith in 1831: "The keys of the kingdom of God are committed unto man on the earth, and from thence shall the gospel roll forth unto the ends of the earth." (D&C 65:2.)

There is a great Church history behind us. There is an even greater Church history ahead of us for every member, every unit of the Church. That history is being made every day, some way, in Korea, in the Philippines, in the Andes, and in every stake.

The vision of the New Jerusalem has moved generations of mankind. It has moved our people. We look to the day when "Christ will reign personally upon the earth." (A of F 1:10.) But, as the prophet Malachi asked, "Who may abide the day of his coming? and who shall stand when he appeareth?" (Mal. 3:2.) Let us prepare to abide the day of his coming by building Zion in our hearts, in our families, as we make pages for the future history of the Church. President Kimball has told us repeatedly to beautify our lives, our homes. He has challenged us to render more Christlike service. Edited by KeithLBrown

1 John 2:9-11 he that saith he is in the light and hateth his brother is in darkness

Howard W. Hunter

The logic of this is simple, clear, and unequivocal: the proof of love of God is love of one's brother. This becomes the fundamental commandment of Christianity. This was the religion taught by the Master. How happy would society be were these two plain, rational precepts properly observed: Love me, and love thy fellows. (LDS Church News, 1995, 09/23/95)

N. Eldon Tanner

Our feelings toward one another must be those of brotherly love. Religion should cement and strengthen and never weaken this feeling. It is most important that we respect and honor the religious beliefs and feelings of our neighbors.

I believe that Christ was really the Begotten Son of God in the flesh. But the fact that others do not believe the same thing is no cause for ill feelings, hate, or lack of brotherhood. Because I believe as a Mormon, another believes as a Catholic, another as a Protestant, another as a Jew, we should not shun or criticize or have ill feeling, but respect each other’s views, realizing that a belief in God makes everyone better, as individuals and as citizens, to the extent that they follow God’s teachings—particularly, “Love one another as I have loved you” (John 15:12)…

Sometimes I am almost convinced that it is human nature to magnify the weaknesses in others in order to minimize our own. Let us always remember that men of great character do not belittle others nor magnify their weaknesses. In fact, the thing that makes them great is the showing of love for and interest in the success and welfare of their neighbors. True love does not permit us to hold grudges or ill feelings, to bear tales, or to steal a good name. We should not talk about or criticize one another, but strive to build and strengthen one another.

A friend of mine related the following experience. His father and his father’s cousin lived in the same community and were competitors in the construction business. A bitter rivalry, triggered in the beginning by some contract bidding, grew up over the years and was eventually inherited by the immediate families, even after the death of my friend’s father. It was difficult for them to be civil to one another, even in their church callings, where my friend was the bishop of one ward and his cousin in another. The situation festered.

Suddenly my friend found himself with a call to serve as a mission president. He and his family were thrilled with the prospect, but he had an uneasy feeling. He kept asking himself if he were really worthy for such an important call. He knew he was living the Word of Wisdom, was a full tithepayer, faithful in his Church activities, was morally clean, and so forth, but the uneasy feeling persisted.

In the midst of his preparations he was returning from his office one afternoon when something said to him, “You must go to your father’s cousin and straighten things out. You cannot go out to teach the gospel of love while this feeling exists between you.”

So he went to his cousin’s home, rang the doorbell, and waited fearfully, but there was no response. He turned away feeling that at least he had tried and that this attempt would conclude the matter. But the uneasy feeling did not go away.

The next day at a funeral service his cousin came in and sat across from him. He asked his cousin if he could see him after the service. I quote from my friend’s account:

“When I rang the doorbell he invited me into the living room and congratulated me on my mission call. We talked a few minutes about things in general, and then it happened. I looked at him with a feeling of love which replaced all the old bitterness, and said: ‘I have come to ask forgiveness for anything I have ever said or done that has tended to divide us and our families.’

“At this point tears came into our eyes, and for a few minutes neither of us could say a word. This was one time when silence was more powerful than words. In a few minutes he said: ‘I wish I had come to you first.’ I replied, ‘The important thing is that it is done, not who initiated it.’

“At this moment we had a rich spiritual experience which caused us to purge our lives and our souls of those things which had separated us. That experience has resulted in our having proper family relationships. Now I could go on my mission and teach the true meaning of love because for the first time in my life I had experienced its deepest dimension. Now I could honestly say that there wasn’t a person in the world that I didn’t love and appreciate. Since that day my life has never been the same, for it was then that I learned in a most positive way, as I had never understood before, this injunction of the Master to his disciples: ‘A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another’ (John 13:34).”

As we look back over our lives whether they be short or long, we realize that the thing that gives the greatest joy is doing something for someone else because we love him. Let us express our love to God and to our fellowmen now, while we can, by our every act and word, for we shall not pass again this way. (“The Great Commandments,” Ensign, July 1980, 3-4)

1 John 4:7 let us love one another

“God is love (1 John 4:7–5:5)… The word love is used thirty-four times in these twenty verses, which highlight at least five characteristics of love: God, through his Son, is the source of love (1 John 4:7–12); love is a gift of faith received through the Spirit (1 John 4:13–16); love brings confidence and dispels fear (1 John 4:17–18); love of God is manifest in our love for others (1 John 4:19–21); and the ultimate reward of keeping God’s commandment to love is to share in his Son’s victory (1 John 5:1–5). For John, these are the cardinal principles of Christian discipleship.” (Victor L. Ludlow, “John: The Once and Future Witness,” Ensign, Dec. 1991, 54)

Gordon B. Hinckley

Love of God is basic. It is the very foundation of true worship. It puts heart and soul and spirit into our lives. It subdues arrogance and conceit and greed. It leads to love for all of God's creations. It leads to obedience to the second great commandment, love of neighbor. In the world in which we now live, that love of neighbor finds expression not only in Christian acts of charity and kindness to those in need, but in a larger sense includes a sacred regard for the environment in which all men as neighbors across the earth must live. (Teachings of Gordon B. Hinckley [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1997], 46.)

Harold B. Lee

Now I want to tell you a little sacred experience I had following the call to be the President of the Church. On the early morning thereafter with my wife I kneeled in humble prayer, and suddenly it seemed as though my mind and heart went out to over three million people in all the world. I seemed to have a love for every one of them no matter where they lived nor what their color was, whether they were rich or poor, whether they were humble or great, or educated or not. Suddenly I felt as though they all belonged to me, as though they were all my own brothers and sisters.

So with that heart full of love toward all of you people included in that great feeling, I extend my blessing to you and your families, that your lives will become symbols of your faith and your love for your Heavenly Father, that you will be more diligent and faithful in the performance of all your duties in the Church. (The Teachings of Harold B. Lee, edited by Clyde J. Williams [salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1996], 637.)

1 John 5:16 there is a sin unto death

The “sin unto death” brings a spiritual death, or the second death, which happens to those who are unworthy to inherit one of the three degrees of glory. Spiritual death is defined as separation from God, and the sons of perdition are punished by being separated from the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

Sterling W. Sill

The most feared experience of life is death. We instinctively cling to life with every ounce of our strength. In the days of Job it was said, “. . . all that a man hath will he give for his life.” (Job 2:4.) There isn't anything that we wouldn't do, there is no expense that we would not involve ourselves in to prolong life for a week or a month, even though we knew that that period would be filled with pain and unhappiness. But when John said, “There is a sin unto death: . . .” (1 John 5:16) he was speaking of a more dreadful death than that of the body. And Paul describes this sin by saying,

For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,

If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame. (Heb. 6:4-6.)

(Conference Report, April 1965, General Priesthood Meeting 88.)

Spencer W. Kimball

In discussing the subject of sin and declaring that the Lord and his Church will forgive transgressions, it must be made clear that there are “sins unto death.” John tells us:

“There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it. All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.” (1 John 5:16-17.)

In other words, sins are of different degrees of seriousness. There are those which can be forgiven and those for which one may not promise forgiveness. The sin unto death is of such a serious nature that of those who commit it we are told:

“. . . their end no man knoweth on earth, nor ever shall know, until they come before me in judgment.” (D&C 43:33.)

The oft-mentioned unpardonable sin is of monumental import. Of this, the Prophet Joseph Smith has said:

“All sins shall be forgiven, except the sin against the Holy Ghost; for Jesus will save all except the sons of perdition. What must a man do to commit the unpardonable sin? He must receive the Holy Ghost, have the heavens opened unto him, and know God, and then sin against him. After a man has sinned against the Holy Ghost, there is no repentance for him. He has got to say that the sun does not shine while he sees it; he has got to deny Jesus Christ when the heavens have been opened unto him, and to deny the plan of salvation with his eyes open to the truth of it; and from that time he begins to be an enemy. This is the case with many apostates of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

“When a man begins to be an enemy to this work, he hunts me, he seeks to kill me, and never ceases to thirst for my blood. He gets the spirit of the devil—the same spirit that they had who crucified the Lord of Life—the same spirit that sins against the Holy Ghost. You cannot save such persons; you cannot bring them to repentance; they make open war, like the devil, and awful is the consequence.”

(The Miracle of Forgiveness [salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1969], chap. 9.)

2 John 1 Introduction

David O. McKay

John's second Epistle should be of special interest to the young. From it we infer that there were two Christian homes, in each of which John took delight. The mothers were sisters. His letter is addressed to "The Elect Lady" or, as she is sometimes called, the Lady Electa and her children. John tells of his love and that of others for them—mother and children—because of their Christian character. He tells of his great joy because of the children walking in the truth, living as children should live who have learned of the teachings of Christ.

It is said that when he became so old and feeble that he could not walk to church, nor preach to his people, his loving friends would carry him to the place of meeting. On these occasions, he would repeat again and again, “My dear children, love one another.” One day some asked him, “Master, why doest thou always say this?” He answered. “This is what the Lord commands you; and this, if you do it, is sufficient.”

It is said that he lived to be over one hundred years of age, but of his last days there is nothing definite of record. We do know, however, that he survived most bitter persecution, outlived his wicked persecutors, instructed by his life and teachings thousands in the Way of life, and is blessing many thousands in the world today, by his lofty and childlike Christian spirit. (Ancient Apostles [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1964], 139.)

3 John 1:4 no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth

James E. Faust

While few human challenges are greater than that of being good parents, few opportunities offer greater potential for joy. Surely no more important work is to be done in this world than preparing our children to be God-fearing, happy, honorable, and productive adults. Parents will find no more fulfilling happiness than to have their children honor them and their teachings. That blessing is the glory of parenthood. John testified, “I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth” (3 John 1:4).

In my opinion, the teaching, rearing, and training of children requires more intelligence, intuitive understanding, humility, strength, wisdom, spirituality, perseverance, and hard work than any other challenge we might have in life. This is especially so when moral foundations of honor and decency are eroding around us. If we are to have successful homes, values must be taught. There must be rules, there must be standards, and there must be absolutes. Many societies give parents very little support in teaching and honoring moral values. A number of cultures are becoming essentially valueless, and many of the younger people in those societies are becoming moral cynics.

As societies as a whole have decayed and lost their moral identity and as so many homes are broken, the best hope is to turn greater attention and effort to the teaching of the next generation—our children. In order to do this, we must first reinforce the primary teachers of children. Chief among these are the parents and other family members, and the best environment for this teaching should be the home. Somehow, some way, we must try harder to make our homes stronger so that they will stand as sanctuaries against the unwholesome, pervasive moral dry rot around us. Harmony, happiness, peace, and love in the home can help give children the required inner strength to cope with life's challenges. (Finding Light in a Dark World [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1995], 90.)

Gordon B. Hinckley

I think we little estimate the vast good that will come of this [Family Home Evening] program. I commend it to our people, and I commend it to every parent in the land and say that we stand ready to assist you who may not be of our faith. We shall be happy to send you suggestions and materials on how to conduct a weekly family home evening, and I do not hesitate to promise you that both you and your children will become increasingly grateful for the observance of this practice. It was John who declared: “I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth.” (3 John 4.) This will be your blessing.

And it was Isaiah who said: “. . . all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children.” (Isa. 54:13.)

We cannot afford to disregard the sacred mandate laid upon us to teach our children, first by the example of our own living, and secondly, by those precepts which, if followed, will bring peace to their lives. Every child is entitled to the blessing of a good home. (Conference Report, October 1965, Second Day—Morning Meeting 51.)

Gordon B. Hinckley

I thank the Lord for the many good parents of the Church who are impressive examples of honesty and integrity before their children and before the world. I thank him for their faith and their faithfulness. I thank him for their great desire to nurture their children in light and truth as the Lord has commanded. May his blessings crown their efforts and may each someday be able to say, as said John of old, “I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth.” (3 John 1:4.) (Faith: The Essence of True Religion [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1989], 72.)

Jude 1:6 angels which kept not their first estate

“In that one verse, Jude speaks of certain angels not keeping their ‘first estate’ and thus leaving ‘their own habitation.’ But only from Abraham do we learn that these angels were in fact spirit children in the presence of God, that the habitation they left was God’s presence, that they departed because they chose to follow Satan rather than God and Jesus Christ, and that in this ‘first estate’ God’s children lived as independent identities, exercising moral agency in the Father’s presence. Were it not for the book of Abraham, much of our basic understanding of the structure, sociality, and history of our premortal existence would be missing.” (Andrew Skinner, “The Book of Abraham: A Most Remarkable Book,” Ensign, Mar. 1997, 21)

Neal A. Maxwell

There are biblical references to the doctrine of premortal existence. But these are not so numerous as to preclude some Christians from ignoring them or still others from attempting to explain them away. Just how many prophetic utterances concerning these doctrines were mislaid, “held back” or “taken away” from the early records from which we later received the precious Holy Bible, we know not.

When biblical scriptures bear directly upon this vitally important doctrine, sometimes it is by citing, here and there, a premortal existence wherein there were differences as between the forces of evil and those of righteousness. Satan led the forces of evil.

And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven (Luke 1:18).

And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels (Revelation 12:6-8).

And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day (Jude 1:6).

(But for a Small Moment [salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1986], 73.)

Orson Pratt

We find that the angels who kept not their first estate are reserved in chains of darkness until the judgment of the great day. Those angels that fell from before the presence of God were judged in a measure upon their fall, and were cast out to wander to and fro upon the face of this earth, bound as it were with chains of darkness, misery and wretchedness, and this condition is to continue during the whole of the temporal existence of this earth, until the final judgment of the great day, when the Saints, in the authority and power of the Priesthood which God Almighty has conferred upon them, will arise and judge these fallen angels, and they will receive the condemnation of which they are worthy. (Journal of Discourses, 26 vols. [London: Latter-day Saints' Book Depot, 1854-1886], 17: 185.)