Day 40 September 18 - Revelation 16-22; Summary of thoughts

• 2 weeks later...

Rev. 16:14-16 The Battle of Armageddon

A. Armies gathered to the valley for battle

Megiddo is about 50 miles north, north-east of Jerusalem. The term Armageddon comes from the phrase har Megiddo meaning the mount of Meggido. While the saints and Jews are gathered to Zion and Jerusalem, Satan will gather his forces to the adjacent valley of Megiddo. The scriptures seem to prophecy of two main locations for this conflict—the valley of Megiddo and the city of Jerusalem. It would seem that the object of the multi-national armies gathered to the valley is to destroy the holy city (Zech. 14:2).

The size of this force will be intimidating, their numbers are described as “more than the grasshoppers, and are innumerable” (Jer. 46:23). Joel was most descriptive about the gathering of these great armies.

For, behold, in those day, and in that time, when I shall bring again the captivity of Judah and Jerusalem,

I will also gather all nations, and will bring them down into the valley of Jehoshaphat, and will plead with them there for my people and for my heritage Israel, whom they have scattered among the nations… (Joel 3:1-2)

Tradition has it that the valley of Jehoshaphat is the valley between the Mount of Olives and Jerusalem, not the valley of Megiddo. However, the location of the valley of Jehoshaphat “is not mentioned in the Bible or Josephus, but is first encountered in the middle of the fourth century. Both Moslems and Jews believe that the last judgment is to take place there.” (Dictionary of the Bible, William Smith, “Jehoshaphat, valley of”) Most LDS commentators have accepted this tradition. However, as with most 4th century traditions, this one should be abandoned. The scriptures would suggest that the valley of Jehoshaphat and the valley of Megiddo are indeed the same. See how well Joel correlates with Revelation in this regard.

Proclaim ye this among the Gentiles; Prepare war, wake up the mighty men, let all the men of war draw near; let them come up:

Beat your plowshares into swords, and your pruninghooks into spears: let the weak say, I am strong.

Assemble yourselves, and come, all ye heathen, and gather yourselves together round about: thither cause thy mighty ones to come down, O LORD.

Let the heathen be wakened, and come up to the valley of Jehoshaphat: for there will I sit to judge all the heathen round about.

Put ye in the sickle, for the harvest is ripe: come, get you down; for the press is full, the fats overflow; for their wickedness is great.

Multitudes, multitudes in the valley of decision: for the day of the LORD is near in the valley of decision. (Joel 3:9-14)

B. Enemies of Israel to be destroyed

The scriptures are consistent in describing those nations who will be judged, Jehoshaphat means literally, Jehovah judges (Joseph Fielding McConkie, Gospel Symbolism [salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1999], 176.) The judgment will come as a destruction on the nations which surround Israel. Those who have plagued the Israelites for millennia will now be recompensed. Nearly all the Old Testament prophets spoke of this judgment.

Zechariah

Open thy doors, O Lebanon, that the fire may devour thy cedars.

Howl, fir tree; for the cedar is fallen; because the mighty are spoiled: howl, O ye oaks of Bashan; for the forest of the vintage is come down.

There is a voice of the howling of the shepherds; for their glory is spoiled: a voice of the roaring of young lions; for the pride of Jordan is spoiled. (Zech. 11:1-3)

Zephanaiah

For Gaza shall be forsaken, and Ashkelon a desolation: they shall drive out Ashdod at the noon day, and Ekron shall be rooted up.

Woe unto the inhabitants of the sea coast, the nation of the Cherethites! the word of the LORD is against you; O Canaan, the land of the Philistines, I will even destroy thee, that there shall be no inhabitant.

And the sea coast shall be dwellings and cottages for shepherds, and folds for flocks.

And the coast shall be for the remnant of the house of Judah; they shall feed thereupon: in the houses of Ashkelon shall they lie down in the evening: for the LORD their God shall visit them, and turn away their captivity.

I have heard the reproach of Moab, and the revilings of the children of Ammon, whereby they have reproached my people, and magnified themselves against their border.

Therefore as I live, saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel, Surely Moab shall be as Sodom, and the children of Ammon as Gomorrah, even the breeding of nettles, and saltpits, and a perpetual desolation: the residue of my people shall spoil them, and the remnant of my people shall possess them.

This shall they have for their pride, because they have reproached and magnified themselves against the people of the LORD of hosts.

Ye Ethiopians also, ye shall be slain by my sword.

And he will stretch out his hand against the north, and destroy Assyria; and will make Nineveh a desolation, and dry like a wilderness. (Zeph. 2:4-13)

Jeremiah

For this is the day of the Lord God of hosts, a day of vengeance, that he may avenge him of his adversaries…

… for I will make a full end of all the nations whither I have driven thee. (Jer. 46:10, 28)

Jeremiah lists the nations which are to be destroyed: Egypt, the Philistines including Gaza, Tyre and Sidon, Moab, the Ammonites, Damascus, Kedar (Arabia) and Hazor, Elam, and Babylon. See Jer. 46-51.

Isaiah

The Lord of hosts hath sworn, saying…

That I will break the Assyrian in my land, and upon my mountains tread him under foot: then shall his yoke depart from off them, and his burden depart from off their shoulders (Isa. 14:25-26, see also Isa. 15-19; 31:8-9; 33:1-12)

Ezekiel

See Ezek. 25-32.

C. Confusion among the opposing armies brings destruction upon themselves

Those times when the Lord fought the battles of ancient Israel, he often confused the opposing armies. Gideon’s battle against the Midianites is one example. The Lord needed only 300 men to set separate fires and simultaneously blow their trumpets. Then, the whole host of the Midianites, numbered “as grasshoppers for multitude” (Judges 6:5), began fighting amongst themselves.

And the three hundred blew the trumpets, and the Lord set every man’s sword against his fellow, even throughout all the host: and the host fled… (Judges 7:22)

Similarly, Armageddon will be a battle of confusion for the great army assembled against Jerusalem.

And in that day will I make Jerusalem a burdensome stone for all people: all that burden themselves with it shall be cut in pieces, though all the people of the earth be gathered together against it.

In that day, saith the LORD, I will smite every horse with astonishment, and his rider with madness: and I will open mine eyes upon the house of Judah, and will smite every horse of the people with blindness. (Zech. 12:3-4)

The term Joel uses, valley of Jehoshaphat, makes reference to a similar battle during the reign of this king of Judah. The battle of Jehoshaphat is a type for Armageddon.

And [Jahaziel the prophet] said, Hearken ye, all Judah, and ye inhabitants of Jerusalem, and thou king Jehoshaphat, Thus saith the LORD unto you, Be not afraid nor dismayed by reason of this great multitude; for the battle is not yours, but God's.

To morrow go ye down against them: behold, they come up by the cliff of Ziz; and ye shall find them at the end of the brook, before the wilderness of Jeruel.

Ye shall not need to fight in this battle: set yourselves, stand ye still, and see the salvation of the LORD with you, O Judah and Jerusalem: fear not, nor be dismayed; to morrow go out against them: for the LORD will be with you.

And Jehoshaphat bowed his head with his face to the ground: and all Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem fell before the LORD, worshipping the LORD…

¶ And they rose early in the morning, and went forth into the wilderness of Tekoa…

¶ And when they began to sing and to praise, the LORD set ambushments against the children of Ammon, Moab, and mount Seir, which were come against Judah; and they were smitten.

For the children of Ammon and Moab stood up against the inhabitants of mount Seir, utterly to slay and destroy them: and when they had made an end of the inhabitants of Seir, every one helped to destroy another (the allied armies began to fight against each other).

And when Judah came toward the watch tower in the wilderness, they looked unto the multitude, and, behold, they were dead bodies fallen to the earth, and none escaped.

And when Jehoshaphat and his people came to take away the spoil of them, they found among them in abundance both riches with the dead bodies, and precious jewels, which they stripped off for themselves, more than they could carry away: and they were three days in gathering of the spoil, it was so much. (2 Chron. 20:14-25)

“Most critics have suggested that ‘the valley of Jehoshaphat’ derived its name from the expectation that the future judgment would resemble in character the victory which God had given to Jehoshaphat.” (Edersheim, Alfred, Old Testament Bible History, chapter 6, note 22)

D. Divine cavalry led by the Lord destroys the host

Artistic Representations of the Second Coming don’t show Christ coming on horseback. However, for the battle of the great God Almighty, He comes in regal red, on a white horse, leading the greatest cavalry charge imaginable.

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself.

And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.

And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean. (Rev. 19:11-14)

And the number of the army of the horsemen were two hundred thousand thousand: and I heard the number of them.

And thus I saw the horses in the vision, and them that sat on them, having breastplates of fire, and of jacinth, and brimstone: and the heads of the horses were as the heads of lions; and out of their mouths issued fire and smoke and brimstone.

By these three was the third part of men killed, by the fire, and by the smoke, and by the brimstone, which issued out of their mouths.

For their power is in their mouth, and in their tails: for their tails were like unto serpents, and had heads, and with them they do hurt. (Rev. 9:16-19)

And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.

And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.

And I saw an angel standing in the sun; and he cried with a loud voice, saying to all the fowls that fly in the midst of heaven, Come and gather yourselves together unto the supper of the great God;

That ye may eat the flesh of kings, and the flesh of captains, and the flesh of mighty men, and the flesh of horses, and of them that sit on them, and the flesh of all men, both free and bond, both small and great.

And I saw the beast, and the kings of the earth, and their armies, gathered together to make war against him that sat on the horse, and against his army.

And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone. (Rev. 19:15-20)

E. Battle of Gog and Magog is not the same battle as Armageddon

For years, commentators have equated the Battle of Gog and Magog with the Battle of Armageddon. The chronology of Ezekiel and D&C 29 might suggest that Gog and Magog occurs prior to the Millennium. However, the Prophet Joseph clearly teaches that the Battle of Gog and Magog comes later, declaring, “The battle of Gog and Magog will be after the millennium.” (History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 5: 298.) The book of Revelation also suggests these are different battles, Armageddon coming first (Rev. 16:12-16), and Gog and Magog coming later (Rev. 20:7-9).

The Battle of Gog and Magog is described in detail in Ezekiel chapters 38-39. Ezekiel 40 begins his elaborate description of the Millennial temple. If one assumes a chronological relationship between chapters 39 and 40, then Gog and Magog would seem to precede the Millennium. However, these are separate visions. Ezekiel 40:1-2 declares that the temple vision was in “the five and twentieth year” of the Jewish captivity. It is a separate vision with a different subject matter and a different timeline than the content of the preceding chapters.

Truly, there are many similarities between Armageddon and Gog and Magog. In each, nations will come against Israel from the north. In each, destruction rains from heaven with “great hailstones, fire, and brimstone.” (Ezek. 38:22) In each, the fowl and beasts are assembled to eat the flesh and drink the blood of the mighty. However, the battles will be separate. Gog will come against Israel in a day when they have dwelt safely in Israel—a safety enjoyed during the Millennium, “Therefore, son of man, prophesy and say unto Gog, Thus saith the Lord God; In that day when my people of Israel dwelleth safely, shalt thou not know it?” (Ezek. 38:14) The Battle of Gog and Magog will be a case of history repeating itself.

Joseph Smith

The battle of Gog and Magog will be after the millennium. (History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 5: 298.)

Rev. 16:18 there was a great earthquake, such as was not since men were upon the earth

This earthquake must be more destructive than the earthquake in the Americas at the time of Christ’s crucifixion—an earthquake which buried some cities, covered up others, and changed the whole face of the land (3 Ne. 8:6-19). There have been some great earthquakes in recent history. They have brought unbelievable destruction and death. Apparently, a greater still awaits.

Date Event Death/Property damage

Earthquake in Tokyo

Over 100,000 dead

8.2 magnitude earthquake in Tangshan, China

240,000 dead

January 26, 2001

7.9 earthquake in Gujarat, India.

20,000 dead, 166,000 injured.

December 26, 2003

6.7 earthquake in Bam, Iran

About 30,000

December 26, 2004

9.0 earthquake causes a Tsunami in south-east Asia

286,000 dead

October 8, 2005

7.6 earthquake in Pakistan

79,000 dead; 40,000 injured

May 27, 2006

6.3 earthquake in Indonesia

Est. 5892 dead.

(Earthquakes: News & Videos about Earthquakes - CNN.com)

Rev. 17:1-7 I will shew unto thee the judgment of the great whore

“In 1 Nephi 13–14, the prophet Nephi relates a vision in which he saw the future of the world and its kingdoms as it related to his posterity. Nephi’s vision is the type of revelation known in biblical literature as apocalyptic, a type represented in the New Testament most fully by the Revelation of John. The two revelations have more in common, though, than apocalyptic form, for they both deal in part with an often misunderstood concept, the great and abominable church of the devil. The visions together give us prophetic information about the matter.

“…the term great and abominable church means an immense assembly or association of people bound together by their loyalty to that which God hates. Most likely, this ‘church’ is involved specifically in sexual immorality, idolatry (that is, false worship), or both. While the book of Revelation does not use the exact phrase ‘great and abominable church,’ both John and Nephi use a number of similar phrases to describe it. They call it the ‘Mother of Harlots, and Abominations,’ ‘mother of abominations,’ and ‘the whore that sitteth upon many waters.’ (Rev. 17:1, 5; 1 Ne. 14:10–11.)

“The major characteristics of the great and abominable church described in 1 Nephi may be listed as follows:

1. It persecutes, tortures, and slays the Saints of God. (See 1 Ne. 13:5.)

2. It seeks wealth and luxury. (See 1 Ne. 13:7–8.)

3. It is characterized by sexual immorality. (See 1 Ne. 13:7.)

4. It has excised plain and precious things from the scriptures. (See 1 Ne. 13:26–29.)

5. It has dominion over all the earth, among all nations, kindreds, tongues, and people. (See 1 Ne. 14:11.)

6. Its fate is to be consumed by a world war, when the nations it incites against the Saints war among themselves until the great and abominable church itself is destroyed. (See 1 Ne. 22:13–14.)

“Another symbol used in the book of Revelation to represent the great and abominable church, as well as worldliness and wickedness in general, is Babylon. Five of the six characteristics identified in 1 Nephi are also attributed to Babylon in the book of Revelation:

1. Babylon is drunk with the blood of the Saints, the martyrs of Jesus, and the prophets. (See Rev. 17:6; Rev. 18:24.)

2. She is known for her enjoyment of great wealth and luxury. (See Rev. 17:4; Rev. 18:3, 11–16.)

3. She is characterized by wanton sexual immorality. (See Rev. 17:1–2, 5.)

4. She has dominion over all nations. (See Rev. 17:15, 18; Rev. 18:3, 23–24.)

5. Her fate is to be consumed by the very kings who, because of her deceptions, have made war on the Lamb. (See Rev. 17:14–16; Rev. 18:23.)

“The one characteristic not common to both prophetic descriptions is Nephi’s statement that the great and abominable church has held back important parts of the canon of scripture. This omission in Revelation is not surprising since John’s record is one of the scriptures Nephi says was tampered with. (See 1 Ne. 14:23–24.)

“In noting the characteristics of Babylon, we should be careful to distinguish between her and the beast in Revelation 17 They do not represent the same things, though the beast supports the great and abominable church. (See Rev. 17:3, 7.) The beast, for instance, is entirely missing in Nephi’s description of the great and abominable church.

“Babylon, the ‘woman … arrayed in purple and scarlet’ described in Revelation 17–18, is specifically the Satanic counterpart of the virtuous woman in chapter 12 who symbolizes the church of Jesus Christ that was forced into the wilderness (see JST Rev. 12:6)—that is, which became inaccessible to human beings. Symbolizing the counterfeit church as an immoral woman underscores the nature of her evil: she is physically and spiritually unfaithful, representing both sexual immorality and idolatry, the twin abominations of the Old Testament. Thus, she is the ‘mother of abominations.

“It appears in Revelation that while the symbol of the unvirtuous woman represents false religion, the beasts, the image of the beast, and its horns represent other aspects of the devil’s kingdom. The ‘Mother of Harlots’ cannot represent kingdoms or governments—the beast and its horns do that (see Rev. 17:12; also JST Rev. 13:1)—but she can represent the false beliefs and ideologies that often capture and motivate governments. The same evil genius, Satan the old dragon, is behind both, but the beast and the harlot symbolize separate entities with separate functions in the evil empire.

“When the civil governments (the kings of the earth) commit fornication with the false religion—that is, when church and state are joined together—then the wine of their fornication makes all the world drunk, and her sins and plagues reach unto heaven. (See Rev. 17:2; Rev. 18:3–5.) The immorality and idolatry of the great and abominable church, together with the power of the civil states, dominate the economy and the life-styles of all nations and destroy the spiritual equilibrium and discernment of human beings.” (Stephen E. Robinson, “Warring against the Saints of God,” Ensign, Jan 1988, 34-36)

Rev. 18 Introduction

The story of Revelation 18 is the story of three grand declarations. The first, from a glorified angel (v. 2-3), celebrates the destruction of Babylon. The second, as a voice from heaven (v. 4-20), prophecies that the merchants who have become wealthy through Babylon will mourn as they witness her utter destruction. The last, another mighty angel (v. 21-24), promises that none will be found in Babylon for the city will be wiped off the face of the earth.

Hugh Nibley

Babylon, like Zion, is a real society—a type, place, and environment of human existence, described in the scriptures with great clarity and precision… Though Babylon is vividly described by the prophets, the best way to define her is as the exact opposite of Zion in all things. Babylon is just as pure in its way as is Zion; it is pure evil—for even good, when it becomes contaminated and perverted, becomes an evil. The main thing is that Babylon and Zion cannot mix in any degree. (Approaching Zion, edited by Don E. Norton [salt Lake City and Provo: Deseret Book Co., Foundation for Ancient Research and Mormon Studies, 1989], 30.)

Hugh Nibley

Babylon then, like Zion, is a type. If Zion is wherever the celestial order prevails, Babylon is the culmination of the worldly power wherever it happens. Through the ages, that power has actually culminated in just such world centers as ancient Babylon. Rome itself was entirely eligible for the name. The church of Rome called itself "the church that is at Babylon" (1 Peter 5:13). Rome was Babylon the great in every respect. And in the last days we must have a Babylon, too. For the call has gone forth, "Go ye out of Babylon. Be ye clean that bear the vessels of the Lord. Go ye out of Babylon; gather ye out from among the nations" (D&C 133:7). "Go ye out from among the nations, even from Babylon, from the midst of wickedness, which is spiritual Babylon" (D&C 133:14). (Approaching Zion, 16.)

Rev. 18:4 Come out of her my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins

James E. Talmage

The Lord gave this command: “Send forth the elders of my church unto the nations which are afar off; unto the islands of the sea; send forth unto foreign lands; call upon all nations, first upon the Gentiles, and then upon the Jews. And behold, and lo, this shall be their cry, and the voice of the Lord unto all people: Go ye forth unto the land of Zion… Let them, therefore, who are among the Gentiles flee unto Zion. And let them who be of Judah flee unto Jerusalem, unto the mountain of the Lord's house. Go ye out from among the nations, even from Babylon, from the midst of wickedness, which is spiritual Babylon.” (D&C 188:8-14)

The last sentence of the foregoing quotation expresses the purpose for which this work of gathering the saints from the nations of the earth has been ordained. The Lord would have His people separate themselves from the sins of the world and depart from spiritual Babylon, that they may learn the ways of God and serve Him the more fully. John the Revelator, while in exile on Patmos, saw in vision the fate of the sinful world. An angel came down from heaven, “and he cried mightily with a strong voice, saying, Babylon the great is fallen, is fallen, and is become the habitation of devils, and the hold of every foul spirit, and a cage of every unclean and hateful bird… And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues. For her sins have reached unto heaven, and God hath remembered her iniquities.” (Rev. 18:2-5)

Israel, Gathering of/The faith of the Latter-day Saints teaches that in the day of the Lord's righteous fury safety will be found in Zion. The importance which they associate with the work of gathering, and the fidelity with which they seek to discharge the duty enjoined upon them by divine authority in the matter of warning the world of the impending dangers, as described in the Revelator's vision, are sufficiently demonstrated by the great extent of the missionary labor as at present prosecuted by this people. (Articles of Faith [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1981], 306-307)

Harold B. Lee

As we sit here today, we should be mindful of the fact that we are those of whom these revelations have spoken. We are those who have been gathered from out of spiritual Babylon, or perhaps we represent the second or third or even the fourth or fifth generation of those who heeded the call and felt the spirit of gathering. (Conference Report, April 1948, Afternoon Meeting 56.)

Hugh Nibley

Babylon's time is all but used up, and the only thing for the Saints to do is to get out of her. As we all know, they sought to do this in a very physical as well as a spiritual sense. "I will that my saints should be assembled upon the land of Zion . . . and lift a warning voice . . . by word and by flight" (D&C 63:36-37). How could they stay in the world? "We are trying to be the image of those who live in heaven; we are trying to pattern after them, . . . to walk and talk like them, to deal like them, and build up the kingdom of heaven as they have done." That meant a total renunciation of the world and its ways: "It is useless for us to expect the favor of the world. We have been called out of the world, therefore the world hates us. If we were of the world, then the world would love its own, and we should have no trouble with them." That was what the Lord often told his disciples. You cannot be "in the world but not of the world," "for all that is in the world . . . is not of the Father, but is of the world," and that in the most literal sense (1 John 2:16). (Approaching Zion, edited by Don E. Norton [salt Lake City and Provo: Deseret Book Co., Foundation for Ancient Research and Mormon Studies, 1989], 31 - 32.)

Rev. 18:22-23 the voice of harpers, and musicians, and of pipers… shall be heard no more at all in thee

Again, the destruction of ancient Babylon becomes a fitting type for the destruction of the wicked. We borrow again from the prophecies of Isaiah and Jeremiah:

Because of the wrath of the Lord it shall not be inhabited, but it shall be wholly desolate: every one that goeth by Babylon shall be astonished, and hiss at all her plagues…

As God overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah and the neighbour cities thereof, saith the Lord; so shall no man abide there, neither shall any son of man dwell therein…

Her cities are a desolation, a dry land, a wilderness, a land wherein no man dwelleth, neither doth any son of man pass thereby. (Jer. 50:13,40; 51:43)

And Babylon, the glory of kingdoms, the beauty of the Chaldees’ excellency, shall be as when God overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah.

It shall never be inhabited, neither shall it be dwelt in from generation to generation: neither shall the Arabian pitch tent there; neither shall the shepherds make their fold there. (Isa. 13:19-20)

Interestingly, Saddam Hussein began to restore the site of ancient Babylon. Unaware of Jeremiah’s prophecies, he imagined to make Babylon a tourism site. Little did he know that God had pronounced its utter destruction, that it was not to be rebuilt—not to be a site for musicians, weddings or celebrations. As a type for Satan’s kingdom, the land was to be left desolate. It was not to be a place for historical monuments, theme parks, or nostalgic reminiscing. The Gulf War put an end to his reconstructive plans.

In 1985, Saddam Hussein started rebuilding the city on top of the old ruins (because of this, artifacts and other finds may well be under the city by now), investing in both restoration and new construction. To the dismay of archaeologists, he inscribed his name on many of the bricks in imitation of Nebuchadnezzar. One frequent inscription reads: "This was built by Saddam Hussein, son of Nebuchadnezzar, to glorify Iraq". This recalls the ziggurat at Ur, where each individual brick was stamped with "Ur-Nammu, king of Ur, who built the temple of Nanna". These bricks became sought after as collectors' items after the downfall of Hussein, and the ruins are no longer being restored to their original state. He also installed a huge portrait of himself and Nebuchadnezzar at the entrance to the ruins, and shored up Processional Way, a large boulevard of ancient stones, and the Lion of Babylon, a black rock sculpture about 2,600 years old.

When the Gulf War ended, Saddam wanted to build a modern palace, also over some old ruins; it was made in the pyramidal style of a Sumerian ziggurat. He named it Saddam Hill. In 2003, he was ready to begin the construction of a cable car line over Babylon when the invasion began and halted the project.

An article published in April 2006 states that UN officials and Iraqi leaders have big plans for restoring Babylon, making it a gem of a new Iraq as a cultural center complete with shopping malls, hotels, and perhaps a theme park: "One day millions of people will visit Babylon." (Babylon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Rev. 19:7 the marriage of the Lamb is come

“The marriage of the Lamb, who is Christ (D&C 33:17-18) to his bride, who is the Church (D&C 109:73-74) as well as the New Jerusalem (21:2, 9-10), is a metaphor for the union between the Lord and his people, made possible through the atonement of Christ….There is no sweeter or more meaningful relationship on earth than that between a holy husband and a holy wife; that is the kind of relationship (in depth of feeling and completeness of union) that the Lord is inviting us to. That marriage is between Christ and the church—but the Church is not just an organization on the earth; it is also the individual souls who belong to that organization.” (Donald W. Parry and Jay A. Parry, Understanding the Book of Revelation [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1998], 251 - 252.)

Joseph Fielding Smith

“This prophecy of the marriage of the Lamb is a figure of speech, having reference to the second coming of our Savior and the feast, or supper, that the righteous shall receive at his coming. When teaching the Jews, and more especially his disciples, the Savior spoke of the bridegroom when referring to himself. Such references are found in Matthew 9:15; Mark 2:19-20, and in the story of the ten virgins in Matthew 25.

“In Revelation, Chapter 21, the comparison is made to a marriage of the Lamb with the city, New Jerusalem:

And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.

And there came unto me one of the seven angels which had the seven vials full of the seven last plagues, and talked with me, saying, Come hither, I will shew thee the bride, the Lamb's wife.

And he carried me away in the spirit to a great and high mountain, and shewed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem descending out of heaven from God,

Having the glory of God: and her light was like unto a stone most precious, even like a jasper stone, clear as crystal.’ (Ibid., 21:2, 3, 9, 10, 11.)

“Doctrine and Covenants, Section 109, verses 73 and 74, we find the following:

That thy church may come forth out of the wilderness of darkness, and shine forth fair as the moon, clear as the sun, and terrible as an army with banners;

And be adorned as a bride for that day when thou shalt unveil the heavens, and cause the mountains to flow down at thy presence, and the valleys to be exalted, the rough places made smooth; that thy glory may fill the earth.’

“The vision of John and the revelation to Joseph Smith both have reference to the same event, the second coming of our Lord in his power and glory, to receive his Church or kingdom, the New Jerusalem being the capital city of the Church, and there is no difference in the meaning whether reference is to the Church or the New Jerusalem, for the righteous will have inheritance in the New Jerusalem. Therefore the bride of the Lamb is the organization of the righteous who have inheritance in the holy city.” (Answers to Gospel Questions, 5 vols. [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1957-1966], 1: 25.)

Rev. 19:7 his wife hath made herself ready

When the Lord comes again, New Jerusalem will already be well established. Its inhabitants will be righteous and will joyfully receive Christ as a bride receives her groom. The city will be as righteous as the city of Enoch. However, the parable of the ten virgins teaches us that not all members of the church will be ready. This is a solemn reminder that even though the Church will be ready for Christ, not all of its members will be.

Bruce R. McConkie

“…the gospel net catches fish of all kinds. Only those who make themselves worthy are saved. All who come into the Church must forsake the world, repent of their sins, and keep the commandments; otherwise they will be cast out with the wicked and rebellious and suffer the sorrows of the damned.

“Salvation is a personal matter; it comes to individuals, not congregations. Church membership alone does not save; obedience after baptism is required. Each person called to the marriage feast will be examined separately, and of the many called to partake of the bounties of the gospel, few only will wear the robes of righteousness which must clothe every citizen in the celestial heaven. True it is that the Lord ‘hath bid his guests,’ as Zephaniah said, but ‘all such as are clothed with strange apparel’ shall be cast out. (Zeph. 1:7-8.)” (The Mortal Messiah: From Bethlehem to Calvary, 4 vols. [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1979-1981], 3: 368.)

Joseph Smith

“…those who keep the commandments of the Lord and walk in His statutes to the end…are the only individuals permitted to sit at this glorious feast….Reflect for a moment, brethren, and enquire, whether you would consider yourselves worthy a seat at the marriage feast with Paul and others like him, if you had been unfaithful? Had you not fought the good fight, and kept the faith, could you expect to receive?” (History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 7 vols., introduction and notes by B. H. Roberts [salt Lake City: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1932-1951], 2: 19 - 20.)

Rev. 19:10 he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant

Joseph F. Smith

“The angel that visited John when an exile, and unfolded to his vision future events in the history of man upon the earth, was one who had been here, and who had toiled and suffered in common with the people of God; for you remember that John, after his eyes had beheld the glories of the great future, was about to fall down and worship him, but was peremptorily forbidden to do so. ‘See thou do it not; for I am thy fellow servant, and of thy brethren the Prophets, and of them which kept the sayings of this book. Worship God.’ . . . In like manner our fathers and mothers, brothers, sisters and friends who have passed away from this earth, having been faithful, and worthy to enjoy these rights and privileges, may have a mission given them to visit their relatives and friends upon the earth again, bringing from the divine presence messages of love, of warning, of reproof and instruction to those whom they have learned to love in the flesh.” (Journal of Discourses, January 29, 1882, 22:351.)

Hugh B. Brown

“Some of our friends have said we are inclined to worship the General Authorities. We love them; we listen to their counsel; we thank God for them; but they would not permit us to worship them. If we should be so inclined, they would be the first to rebuke us. They would doubtless say to us what the angel said to John on the Isle of Patmos, when he was about to kneel before him, See thou do it not: I am thy fellow-servant . . . worship God.’ (Rev. 19:10.)

”But it is our privilege to be guided by their inspired counsel. I pray that God will help us never to lose sight of and ever be grateful for the outstanding leadership in the Church today.” (Conference Report, April 1955, Afternoon Meeting 80.)

Rev. 19:10 the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy

“The scriptures teach that one of the significant and essential roles of a prophet is to testify of the Lord Jesus Christ; in fact, John wrote that ‘the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.’ (Rev. 19:10.) In other words, testifying of Jesus is what prophecy is all about. There is no greater witness that the prophets could proclaim than that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and the Savior of the world.” (One of Prophet's Roles Is To Testify of Christ: Through the Holy, LDS Church News, 1993, 12/04/93 .)

“One of the most important ways we can follow the prophet is to emulate the prophet’s example. ‘The testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy,’ wrote John the Apostle. (Rev. 19:10.) This means that as members of Christ’s Church obtain a testimony, they obtain the spirit of prophecy. Consequently, just as the President of the Church is entitled to revelation on behalf of the Church, so are worthy parents entitled to revelation for their family. In fact, each Latter-day Saint is to seek spiritual guidance for his or her own life. Paul’s words invite us all: ‘For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted. … Wherefore brethren, covet to prophesy.’ (1 Cor. 14:31, 39.)” (“Teaching Children to Follow the Prophet,” Ensign, Mar. 1989, 55)

Dallin H. Oaks

“When we hear the word prophet in our day, we are accustomed to thinking of the prophet. These words signify him who holds the prophetic office and is sustained as the prophet, seer, and revelator. The priesthood offices and powers exercised by the President of the Church are unique. As we learn in the Doctrine and Covenants, it is given to him to have ‘all the gifts of God which he bestows upon the head of the church.’ (D&C 107:92; see also D&C 46:29; D&C 50:26–28.)

“The spiritual gift of prophecy is quite different. As we read in the Book of Revelation, ‘The testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.’ (Rev. 19:10.) The Prophet Joseph Smith relied on this scripture in teaching that ‘every other man who has the testimony of Jesus’ is a prophet. (Teachings, p. 119.) Similarly, the Apostle Paul states that ‘he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.’ (1 Cor. 14:3.) Thus, in the sense used in speaking of spiritual gifts, a prophet is one who testifies of Jesus Christ, teaches God’s word, and exhorts God’s people. In its scriptural sense, to prophesy means much more than to predict the future.” (“Spiritual Gifts,” Ensign, Sept. 1986, 71)

Bruce R. McConkie

“Who may prophesy? Who can receive revelation? To whom are visions and heavenly manifestations vouchsafed? Not to members of the Council of the Twelve only, not to bishops and stake presidents alone, not just to the leaders of the Church. Rather, that God who is no respecter of persons and who loves all his children, speaks to every person who will heed his voice. Prophecy is for all: men, women, and children, every member of the true Church; and those who have the testimony of Jesus have the spirit of prophecy, ‘for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.’ (Rev. 19:10.) ‘Would God,’ said Moses, ‘that all the Lord's people were prophets, and that the Lord would put his spirit upon them!’ (Num. 11:29.)” (Doctrinal New Testament Commentary, 3 vols. [salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1965-1973], 2: 387.)

George Q. Cannon

“The spirit of the Church of God is that manifested by Moses. … The genius of the kingdom with which we are associated is to disseminate knowledge through all the ranks of the people, and to make every man a prophet and every woman a prophetess, that they may understand the plans and purposes of God. For this purpose the gospel has been sent to us, and the humblest may obtain its spirit and testimony” (Journal of Discourses, 12:46).

Joseph Smith

“No man is a minister of Jesus Christ without being a prophet. No man can be the minister of Jesus Christ except he has the testimony of Jesus, and this is the spirit of prophecy. Whenever salvation has been administered it has been by testimony.

“[The] spirit of prophecy, which is the testimony of Jesus, is necessary to constitute a witness, or a preacher, or a prophet.

“God in his superior wisdom has always given his Saints, wherever he had any on the earth, the same spirit, and that spirit, as John says, is the true spirit of prophecy.

“Now if any man has the testimony of Jesus, has he not the spirit of prophecy? And if he has the spirit of prophecy, I ask, is he not a prophet? And if a prophet, he can receive revelation. And any man that does not receive revelation for himself must be damned, for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy. For Christ says, ‘Ask and you shall receive’ [Matt. 7:7]. And if he happens to receive anything, I ask, will it not be a revelation? And if any man has not the testimony of Jesus or the Spirit of God, ‘he is none of his’ [Rom. 8:9], namely Christ's. And if not his, he must be damned.” (Kent P. Jackson, comp. and ed., Joseph Smith's Commentary on the Bible [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1994], 227

Gordon B. Hinckley

’The testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.’ (Rev. 19:10.) As much so as any man in the world, each of you has the opportunity and the responsibility to develop a testimony of Jesus as the Savior of mankind. That testimony is the ‘spirit of prophecy.’ It is a gift that may be yours.” (“Ten Gifts from the Lord,” Ensign, Nov. 1985, 88)

Rev. 20:4 they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years

The Millenial earth will usher in a terrestrial state of glory. Hence, those capable of living a terrestrial law will be spared the associated destruction. However, Christ, the ancient saints, and the righteous latter-day saints will all have been resurrected to a celestial glory. In a way, they don’t belong on a terrestrial earth but on a celestial one. This may be why the prophet said that resurrected saints may not reside on the terrestrial earth the entire time.

Joseph Smith

“Christ and the resurrected Saints will reign over the earth during the thousand years. They will not probably dwell on the earth, but will visit it when they please, or when it is necessary to govern it.”

Joseph Feilding Smith

All those who have died in Christ shall come forth from the dead at his coming and shall dwell upon the earth as Christ shall be upon the earth during this millennium. They shall not remain here all the time during the thousand years, but they will mingle with those who are still here in mortal life. These resurrected saints and the Savior himself, shall come to give instruction and guidance; to reveal unto us [mortals] the things we ought to know; to give us information concerning the work in the temples of the Lord so we may do the work which is essential to the salvation of worthy men. (Doctrines of Salvation, 3 vols., edited by Bruce R. McConkie [salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1954-1956], 3: 59.)

Rev. 20:5 the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished

Joseph Fielding Smith

“John, in his great vision, saw the rest of the dead and they lived not again until the thousand years were ended. That is a calamity—it is a dreadful thing to contemplate, for there shall be a great host of men swept off the face of the earth because of their wickedness. The bodies of these will have to remain in the grave and their spirits in the spirit house to be taught repentance and faith in God while the thousand years of peace are progressing upon the earth.” (Doctrines of Salvation, 3 vols., edited by Bruce R. McConkie [salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1954-1956], 3: 60.)

Sterling W. Sill

“Now suppose we…journey into the telestial kingdom, the glory that Paul compares to the twinkle of a tiny star. This is the glory occupied by those who are least worthy of blessings. They are the ones who were liars, adulterers, and others guilty of gross disobedience. They have not sinned unto death but will be required to serve a long term in the prison house where they must be purified through suffering. They must stay there until they are reformed and educated. How difficult this will be may be indicated by the fact that they will not be released until the final resurrection.” (January 20, 1960, BYU Speeches of the Year, 1960, p. 11.)

LeGrand Richards

“Can any man read these things and not want to prepare to come forth in the morning of the first resurrection, rather than have to remain in his grave for a thousand years while the Savior is completing and preparing his kingdom to be delivered up unto the Father, as a bride prepared for her bridegroom, during which time the righteous are to serve as priests and kings unto the Most High God to help him in the preparation of his kingdom?

“It has always been my feeling that when the trump of God shall sound and the righteous dead shall come forth, it will be the lifters and not the leaners that the Savior will call forth to help him in preparing his kingdom. But as John said: ‘The rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished’ (Rev. 20:5).” (“The Righteous Shall Come Forth,” Ensign, Apr. 1981, 11)

Rev. 20:12 the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books

Albert E. Bowen

“As the hosts from the dead passed before the throne, they were judged every man, according to his works. That is justice in the highest sense of the term. It is judgment founded in righteousness. It reaches completely up to the perfect ideal. No fault can be found in it, for every man is to be classified and rewarded on the basis of his own individual performance…Amos admonished his nation: ‘. . . let judgment roll down as waters, and righteousness as a mighty stream.’ (Amos 5:24.)” (Conference Report, April 1951, Afternoon Session 121.)

Spencer W. Kimball

“The wicked may prosper for a time, the rebellious may seem to profit by their transgressions, but the time is coming when, at the bar of justice, all men will be judged, ‘every man according to their works.’ (Rev. 20:13.) No one will ‘get by’ with anything. On that day no one will escape the penalty of his deeds, no one will fail to receive the blessings he has earned. Again, the parable of the sheep and the goats gives us assurance that there will be total justice. (See Matt. 25:31-46.)” (The Miracle of Forgiveness [salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1969], 305)

Spencer W. Kimball

“The one who harbors evil thoughts sometimes feels safe in the conviction that these thoughts are unknown to others and that they, like acts in the dark, are not discernible. The Revelator, John, seemed to clear this matter when he wrote: (quotes Rev. 20:12.)

“And in the last days an angel will ‘sound his trump, and reveal the secret acts of men, and the thoughts and intents of their hearts.’ (D&C 88:109.)

“Accordingly, men's deeds and thoughts must be recorded in heaven, and recording angels will not fail to make complete recordings of our thoughts and actions. We pay our tithing and the bishop records it in his book and gives us a receipt. But even if the entry fails to get in the ward record, we shall have full credit for the tithes we paid. There will be no omissions in the heavenly records, and they will all be available at the day of judgment.

President John Taylor emphasized this:

‘Man sleeps the sleep of death, but the spirit lives where the record of his deeds is kept.

‘Man sleeps for a time in the grave, and by and by he rises again from the dead and goes to judgment; and then the secret thoughts of all men are revealed before him with whom we have to do; we cannot hide them; it would be in vain then for a man to say, `I did not do so and so`; the command would be, unravel and read the record which he has made of himself and let it testify in relation to these things, and all could gaze upon it.’

“At that day we may be sure that we shall receive fair judgment. The judges will have the facts as they may be played back from our own records, and our voices and the pictures of our acts and the recordings of our thoughts will testify against and for us.” (The Miracle of Forgiveness [salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1969], 108-109)

Sterling W. Sill

“An ancient American prophet asks this important question. He said, ‘. . . can ye imagine yourselves brought before the tribunal of God with your souls filled with guilt and remorse, having a remembrance of all of your wickedness, yea, a perfect remembrance of all your wickedness, yea a remembrance that Ye have set at defiance the commandments of God?’ (Alma 5:18.)

“That calls for an important ability, and the best way to avoid possible tragedy is to focus our imagination upon Judgment Day before we actually get there. We can be absolutely certain that we will all want to be a faithful, devoted, hard-working, enthusiastic full tithe-paying member of God's kingdom when we stand before the judgment bar. But we must get the impulse to faithfulness ahead of time; as someone has said that hell is ‘truth seen too late.’” (Conference Report, April 1964, First Day—Morning Meeting 15.)

Sterling W. Sill

“If each day we could see what God writes in his book about our works for that day, it would certainly motivate us to make better scores. We can most surely reach any goal by putting our results down on the paper every day. When our statistics are low, it is more important than ever that we keep them. How stimulating it would be to see our personal errors published every day on the front page of the newspaper. With this kind of situation, our errors would be much fewer. This would also help us prepare for that great day when all of our present secret acts shall be revealed.” (Principles, Promises, and Powers [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1973], 215 - 216.)

Ezra Taft Benson

“On that important day, I have a feeling the question will not be so much ‘What office did you hold?’ The real question will be, ‘Did you serve me with all your heart, might, mind, and strength?’ God bless us that we may serve so that we will never have any serious regrets.” (“Keys to Successful Member-Missionary Work,” Ensign, Sept. 1990, 7)

Rev. 21:1 I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth where passed away

After the Millennium and the short season, the heaven and the earth will pass away. The earth must die and be resurrected; the heavens will change as the earth takes its place in a new position in space. Just like the souls of the righteous, the resurrected earth is brought back to life with a celestial glory. Never again, does it need to be cleansed, renewed, or sanctified.

Therefore, it must needs be sanctified from all unrighteousness, that it may be prepared for the celestial glory;

For after it hath filled the measure of its creation, it shall be crowned with glory, even with the presence of God the Father;

That bodies who are of the celestial kingdom may possess it forever and ever; for, for this intent was it made and created, and for this intent are they sanctified. (D&C 88:18-20)

Parley P. Pratt

A new heaven and a new earth are promised by the sacred writers. Or, in other words, the planetary systems are to be changed, purified, refined, exalted, and glorified, in the similitude of the resurrection, by which all physical evil or imperfections will be done away. (Key to the Science of Theology, 1943, p. 60.)

Joseph Fielding Smith

This has reference to the third, and final change yet future, which shall come to the earth, after it is cleansed and purified by fire. For the earth shall die by fire and thus be purified; through this death and disintegration and purification which will follow, the earth will be raised to its celestial, and final state, that of glory. (The Progress of Man [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1964], 504 - 505.)

Rev. 21:2 I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven

The Lord has revealed the exact location of the New Jerusalem, ‘Missouri…is the land which I have appointed and consecrated for the gathering of the saints. Wherefore, this is the land of promise, and the place of the city of Zion…Behold, the place which is now called Independence is the center place’ (DC 57:1-3). ‘Verily this is the word of the Lord, that the city New Jerusalem shall be built by the gathering of the saints, beginning at this place’ (DC 84:4).

The above scriptures speak of a New Jerusalem to be built ‘by the gathering of the saints.’ But John is describing a New Jerusalem which should come down out of heaven. We should understand this to mean that the earthly Zion and the heavenly Zion will have to combine to become one great city. Elder Bruce R. McConkie explained, “This New Jerusalem on the American continent will have a dual origin. It will be built by the saints on earth and it will also come down from heaven, and the cities so originating will be united into one holy city.” (Mormon Doctrine, p. 532)

Elder James E. Talmage said, “The Church in this day teaches that the New Jerusalem seen by John and by the prophet Ether, as descending from the heavens in glory, is the return of exalted Enoch and his righteous people; and that the people or Zion of Enoch, and the modern Zion, or the gathered saints on the western continent, will become one people.” (Articles of Faith, p. 318 as taken from Jerusalem: The Eternal City, by Galbraith, Ogden, and Skinner p. 547)

The Lord describes the reunion of the earthly and heavenly Zions saying,

‘I shall prepare, an Holy City (the earthly New Jerusalem), that my people may gird up their loins, and be looking forth for the time of my coming; for there shall be my tabernacle, and it shall be called Zion, a New Jerusalem.

And the Lord said unto Enoch: Then shalt thou and all thy city meet them there, and we will receive them into our bosom, and they shall see us; and we will fall upon their necks, and they shall fall upon our necks, and we will kiss each other;

And there shall be mine abode, and it shall be Zion, which shall come forth out of all the creations which I have made; and for the space of a thousand years the earth shall rest’ (Moses 7:62-64).

From the last verse, we learn that this great event occurs at the beginning of the Millenium. The time for the building of this city and its temple has not yet come (DC 58:44), but both will be built rather quickly when the time comes, behold, I, the Lord, will hasten the city in its time, and will crown the faithful with joy and rejoicing (DC 52:43).

John Taylor

When Zion descends from above, Zion will also ascend from beneath and be prepared to associate with those from above. The people will be so perfected and purified, ennobled, exalted, and dignified in their feelings and so truly humble and most worthy, virtuous and intelligent that they will be fit, when caught up, to associate with that Zion that shall come down from God out of heaven. (Journal of Discourses, 10:147 as taken from Jerusalem: The Eternal City, by Galbraith, Ogden, and Skinner p. 547)

Brigham Young

We have no business here other than to build up and establish the Zion of God. It must be done according to the will and law of God, after that pattern and order by which Enoch built up and perfected the former-day Zion, which was taken away to heaven, hence the saying went abroad that Zion had fled. By and by it will come back again, and as Enoch prepared his people to be worthy of translation, so we through our faithfulness must prepare ourselves to meet Zion from above when it shall return to earth, and to abide the brightness and glory of its coming. (Journal of Discourses, 18:356.)

Franklin D. Richards

I expect that in the city of Enoch there are temples; and when Enoch and his people come back, they will come back with their city, their temples, blessings and powers. (Journal of Discourses, 25:236-37)

Rev. 22:16 the bright and morning star

Howard W. Hunter

The world is full of people who are willing to tell us, “Do as I say.” Surely we have no lack of advice givers on about every subject. But we have so few who are prepared to say, “Do as I do.” And, of course, only One in human history could rightfully and properly make that declaration. History provides many examples of good men and women, but even the best of mortals are flawed in some way or another. None could serve as a perfect model nor as an infallible pattern to follow, however well-intentioned they might be.

Only Christ can be our ideal, our “bright and morning star” (Rev. 22:16). Only he can say without any reservation, “Follow me; learn of me; do the things you have seen me do. Drink of my water and eat of my bread. I am the way, the truth, and the life. I am the law and the light. Look unto me and ye shall live. Love one another as I have loved you” (see Matt. 11:29; Matt. 16:24; John 4:13–14; John 6:35, 51; John 7:37; John 13:34; John 14:6; 3 Ne. 15:9; 3 Ne. 27:21).

My, what a clear and resonant call! What certainty and example in a day of uncertainty and absence of example. (“What Manner of Men Ought Ye to Be?” Ensign, May 1994, 64)

Jeffrey R. Holland

We could—and should—remember the wonderful things that have come to us in our lives and that “all things which are good cometh of Christ” (Moro. 7:24). Those of us who are so blessed could remember the courage of those around us who face more difficulty than we, but who remain cheerful, who do the best they can, and trust that the Bright and Morning Star will rise again for them—as surely he will do (see Rev. 22:16).

On some days we will have cause to remember the unkind treatment he received, the rejection he experienced, and the injustice—oh, the injustice—he endured. When we, too, then face some of that in life, we can remember that Christ was also troubled on every side, but not distressed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed (see 2 Cor. 4:8–9).

When those difficult times come to us, we can remember that Jesus had to descend below all things before he could ascend above them, and that he suffered pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind that he might be filled with mercy and know how to succor his people in their infirmities (see D&C 88:6; Alma 7:11–12).

To those who stagger or stumble, he is there to steady and strengthen us. In the end he is there to save us, and for all this he gave his life. However dim our days may seem they have been darker for the Savior of the world. (“This Do in Remembrance of Me,” Ensign, Nov. 1995, 69)

Rev. 22:18 If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book

Howard W. Hunter

These verses of scripture have been cited repeatedly by those attempting to discredit the Book of Mormon, claiming that God’s revelation to man is closed. Nothing more is to be added and nothing is to be taken away. They assert that the Book of Mormon is an attempt to add to the words of the Bible. These claims were made when the Book of Mormon was first published and have continued to be made, and are made today. Is there any validity to such assertions?

The answer to this query is really very simple. A careful reading of the words makes it clear that the warning against adding to or taking away does not refer to the whole Bible or even to the New Testament, but to use John’s words, only to the words of “the book of this prophecy.” That is, the prophecy contained in the book of Revelation. This is substantiated by the fact that some of the books of the New Testament had not yet been written when John wrote the book of Revelation, and even those that had been written and were in existence at that time had not yet been gathered into one compilation.

The collection of writings consisting of the sixty-six books we know as the Bible were brought together and compiled into one volume long after John wrote the prophetic book that has been placed at the end of the collection. It is clear, therefore, that the terrible judgments pronounced upon those who add to the book could not possibly apply to the whole of the Bible or even to the New Testament, but only to the book of Revelation.

Secondly, the warning uses the words “the prophecy of this book” and also “the words of the book of this prophecy.” The word book in both instances is singular and could only refer to the book of prophecy written by John which is titled, in the King James Version, “The Revelation of St. John the Divine” and is often referred to as the Apocalypse—a Greek word which means revealed. Of necessity the word book would have been in the singular because when written it was not associated with any other book or books, and it was after many years and many ecclesiastical debates that it was added to the collection that became known as the new canon of scripture or the New Testament.

It is also interesting to note that John himself added to scripture after writing the book of Revelation, which is generally conceded to have been written while he was on the Isle of Patmos. It was long after John left Patmos that he wrote his first epistle. This fact standing alone would be sufficient to defeat the claim that revelation was closed and that man was enjoined from adding to scripture. This adds cumulative evidence that John had reference to the book of Revelation only.

In the Old Testament also are found similar vigorous denunciations and commands that there shall not be taken away or added to the words that were written. The first is found in Deuteronomy, written at the time Moses was exhorting Israel to live the law of the Lord. The Torah was oral law and had not been reduced to writing prior to the time of the codification of the law in Deuteronomy. Now that it had been reduced to writing by Moses prior to his death and assumed to be complete, Moses wrote:

Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the Lord your God which I command you.” (Deut. 4:2.)

Later in this same book of the law, Moses repeated the admonition in similar words. He said,

What thing soever I command you, observe to do it: thou shalt not add thereto, nor diminish from it.” (Deut. 12:32.)

In the minds of some, these admonitions in the Old Testament raise the same question as to the Book of Mormon being an attempted addition to scripture as does the injunction and warning at the end of the book of Revelation. In effect, these passages contain the same injunction as the one at the close of the Apocalypse; and if the same interpretation and argument was applied to them as is applied to the closing verses of the book of Revelation, there would be no scripture after the writings of Moses. Such an absurdity would result in discarding the greater part of the Old Testament and all of the books of the New Testament.

A careful reading of each of these admonitions makes it clear that man is not to make changes in the revelations of the Lord: man is not to add to or take from the words of God. There is no indication or intimation that God could not, or would not, add to or take from; nor would any reasonable person with a belief in the divine powers of God consciously believe that God would be so restricted. Without question he would have the right and power to give additional revelation for the guidance of his children in any age and to add additional scripture. (“No Man Shall Add to or Take Away,” Ensign, May 1981, 64-65)