Headed For Nawlin's

Outshined

Originally posted by Outshined@Sep 1 2005, 12:40 PM

I just got the call, I report in the morning to go to New Orleans for the relief effort.

At least it isn't Iraq again...

Good luck, and may God bless you. DH, an RN, wants to go there so bad to help, but because we just moved here, he hasn't built up his vacation time yet, and with 6 kids, and me a full-time mom, we couldn't afford it. Please be careful.

I am not surprised at that remarked.

I am sickened.

When I was young in the 60’s the summer of the riots in Detroit and Watts.

I remember a reporter asking why this man was looting. He said his child had no food or water to wash his dippers because the local government turned the water off to parts of their community. His “Babies were hungry”. As he ran off with a box of dippers and milk. (yes papers use to come in a carbord box)

People are driven to care for their own and the lack of order is owned by the government it always the owner.

Yup shoot the poor and desperate. :thinking.idea:

I know you did not mean that but you should watch how you say things.

I know you are not here to see this, but be safe, Outshined.

I have a friend who is the director of the Red Cross chapter here, and I am going to talk to her today to see if they need more medical help, and I am a nurse. It will be a couple of days before I could go, but I am sure that they will still need the help in the middle of next week. I just feel helpless sitting up here away from it all, and I am not working, so once my husband gets home from this trip, I want to go. (He will probably put up a fuss, but I still am going to try. :angry: )

Originally posted by Jenda@Sep 3 2005, 06:16 AM

I have a friend who is the director of the Red Cross chapter here, and I am going to talk to her today to see if they need more medical help, and I am a nurse.  It will be a couple of days before I could go, but I am sure that they will still need the help in the middle of next week.  I just feel helpless sitting up here away from it all, and I am not working, so once my husband gets home from this trip, I want to go.  (He will probably put up a fuss, but I still am going to try.  :angry:  )

Oh Jenda, That is so nice of you to want to use your training to help these people. As I have mentioned before I think that our husbands are somewhat alike. If you have all of the arrangements made before he gets home and things are easy for him that you might have a better chance. Let us know how things turn out and Good Luck. :)

Originally posted by Strawberry Fields+Sep 3 2005, 07:40 AM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-Jenda@Sep 3 2005, 06:16 AM

I have a friend who is the director of the Red Cross chapter here, and I am going to talk to her today to see if they need more medical help, and I am a nurse.  It will be a couple of days before I could go, but I am sure that they will still need the help in the middle of next week.  I just feel helpless sitting up here away from it all, and I am not working, so once my husband gets home from this trip, I want to go.  (He will probably put up a fuss, but I still am going to try.  :angry:  )

Oh Jenda, That is so nice of you to want to use your training to help these people. As I have mentioned before I think that our husbands are somewhat alike. If you have all of the arrangements made before he gets home and things are easy for him that you might have a better chance. Let us know how things turn out and Good Luck. :)

I talked to my friend at the Red Cross, and the soonest that they are scheduling the classes I need to take is Sept 20th, which seems like ages away. Why are they waiting so long???????? I could get cold feet by then. :ph34r:

Originally posted by Winnie G@Sep 3 2005, 12:31 AM

I am not surprised at that remarked.

I am sickened.

When I was young in the 60’s the summer of the riots in Detroit and Watts.

I remember a reporter asking why this man was looting. He said his child had no food or water to wash his dippers because the local government turned the water off to parts of their community. His “Babies were hungry”. As he ran off with a box of dippers and milk. (yes papers use to come in a carbord box)

People are driven to care for their own and the lack of order is owned by the government it always the owner.

Yup shoot the poor and desperate. :thinking.idea:

I know you did not mean that but you should watch how you say things.

Well said, Winnie...although there will always be people willing to loot for selfish reasons, there are those who are in desperate need and it is very sad that they are left with this only option to survive in any sort of comfort/normality...

Outshined, I wish you luck with your services in New Orleans...and good luck to anyone else who is offering their aid.

Originally posted by Outshined@Sep 1 2005, 12:40 PM

I just got the call, I report in the morning to go to New Orleans for the relief effort.

At least it isn't Iraq again...

Hey Outshined....be safe, our thoughts are with you :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I finally made it back after nearly a month. :)

The destruction there is beyond words. We ended up working the coast of Mississippi, from Bay St Louis to Biloxi; what an unbelievable mess. Houses are completely gone, just foundations remain. Amazing carnage. :(

We got the mission done and were replaced by Mississippi troops; they wanted to take over and care for their own, which is understandable. I'll put some pictures on my web site when I get some time.

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by Outshined@Sep 28 2005, 01:45 PM

I finally made it back after nearly a month.  :)

The destruction there is beyond words. We ended up working the coast of Mississippi, from Bay St Louis to Biloxi; what an unbelievable mess. Houses are completely gone, just foundations remain. Amazing carnage. :(

We got the mission done and were replaced by Mississippi troops; they wanted to take over and care for their own, which is understandable. I'll put some pictures on my web site when I get some time.

WOW... well welcome home and thanks for all you gave...

Originally posted by Outshined@Sep 30 2005, 03:55 PM

Thanks for the kind words everyone. It's nice to be welcomed back. B)

It's good they didn't keep you there for too long. What is it like in terms of organization in the rescue work? It seems really chaotic. When I phoned somebody at FEMA to volunteer some of our USAR guys they gave me a bunch of excuses why we couldn't go. Seems like this is a never ending screw up.

The military and Red Cross operations were very organized, but FEMA seemed kind of chaotic. They had materials and supplies for victims spread out in several areas, and didn't seem to know what was where.

You know how the military is; we had to provide a complete inventory of supplies twice a day, and rescue/cleanup work was plotted carefully on maps.