A Thought About Christmas

Winnie G

Have any of you read the Ensign article Preach my gospel?

It suggests that all members own a copy of the missionary manual Preach My Gospel.

It further suggests that the youth will be ready for missionary work if we as parents provide them with a copy now not later.

Well with a husband who is in our ward missionary presidency I ordered two this morning and we will buy one for each of our children for Christmas. I have already been told a new set / quad scriptures would be a nice gift for Christmas.

Just a thought I would pass on since Christmas is around the corner :wow: .

I decided when my oldest nephew was a baby to only get books for any neices or nephews. I have found that by finding books that are uplifting and learning books for my nephews they enjoy as much as any other books I get them. My parents bought my nephew his 'First Book of Mormom' and both boys enjoy it and love looking for pictures of the 'HOONA' (Liahona) and for pictures of baby Jesus. For boys that have an inactive father and a non-member mother, this helps them with their gospel knowledge. I take them to church each Sunday and found that any gospel books I can get that are 'kid-friendly' and enjoyable without being pushy are the best.

The same can be said for my parents. I try to get them something spiritual that will help them thru the year and that they will use and refer to for talks and such.

I hate Christmas. Not the time of year, just the buying Christmas presents. My family always remembers my worse Christmas. We were living in Seattle at the time and my wife had a flat tire late one rainy night on the freeway without a spare. It was not a good night for her. So I decided to buy her a spare tire for Christmas. I put it in a nice big box so she would not know what it was and wrapped it so elegantly. I was sure she would love it so she would not have another flat without a spare on a horrible night.

Well she opened it and burst into tears – except they were not tears of joy. “How could you buy such a dumb present Dad?” was the cry from the kids. What was I thinking?

I have learned not to buy my wife anything that has to do with exercise. Apparently that sends the wrong message. I can’t buy anything for the kitchen or cleaning because that makes me a sexist. I cannot by clothes or jewelry – my wife would never wear something I picked out. Sometimes I can’t even match my own sox. Gift certificates do not work nor does money. My wife says they are not real gifts and I should know what people like. Usually during such a moment I say something really stupid like, “I thought you liked me?” Personally I don’t care that much about things – I don’t know why anyone does.

I have tried buying her stuff from various parts of the world. The good news is that she can’t take it back. There is some silk stuff from China, a Japanese kimono, German clock, some figurines from Spain to name a few. It is expensive stuff but she won’t wear it or display it – it does not fit the décor or her personality. If anyone is interested, watch for this stuff at DI’s. The kimono cost more than a thousand bucks.

The latest stratagem is to take one or both of my daughters with me to help pick out something – anything. Because I bought it my wife will take it back and exchange it for something but at least inside I can survive on the thought that it was not really me that picked it out. For a long time she gave up and told me she would buy her own presents. Those were good times. But lately she wants me to buy her something. For the life of me I don’t know why.

The Traveler

Originally posted by Traveler@Sep 9 2005, 10:28 AM

I hate Christmas.  Not the time of year, just the buying Christmas presents.  My family always remembers my worse Christmas.  We were living in Seattle at the time and my wife had a flat tire late one rainy night on the freeway without a spare.  It was not a good night for her.  So I decided to buy her a spare tire for Christmas.  I put it in a nice big box so she would not know what it was and wrapped it so elegantly.  I was sure she would love it so she would not have another flat without a spare on a horrible night.

Well she opened it and burst into tears – except they were not tears of joy.  “How could you buy such a dumb present Dad?” was the cry from the kids.  What was I thinking? 

I have learned not to buy my wife anything that has to do with exercise.  Apparently that sends the wrong message.  I can’t buy anything for the kitchen or cleaning because that makes me a sexist.  I cannot by clothes or jewelry – my wife would never wear something I picked out.  Sometimes I can’t even match my own sox. Gift certificates do not work nor does money.  My wife says they are not real gifts and I should know what people like.  Usually during such a moment I say something really stupid like, “I thought you liked me?”  Personally I don’t care that much about things – I don’t know why anyone does.

I have tried buying her stuff from various parts of the world.  The good news is that she can’t take it back.  There is some silk stuff from China, a Japanese kimono, German clock, some figurines from Spain to name a few.  It is expensive stuff but she won’t wear it or display it – it does not fit the décor or her personality.  If anyone is interested, watch for this stuff at DI’s.  The kimono cost more than a thousand bucks.

The latest stratagem is to take one or both of my daughters with me to help pick out something – anything.  Because I bought it my wife will take it back and exchange it for something but at least inside I can survive on the thought that it was not really me that picked it out.  For a long time she gave up and told me she would buy her own presents.  Those were good times.  But lately she wants me to buy her something.  For the life of me I don’t know why.

The Traveler

LOL THat is funny and so TRUE.

Don't you know that YOU are the spare tire? If she gets a flat most likely she will call you right? Although it would be nice if it was already in the car just not as her Christmas gift.

I also know about the NO's for christmas gifts cause I feel the same way. :lol:

What are your wifes interests? Does she like sewing, traveling, going to a resort spa? She wants you to look for "clues" through out the year if she mentions "Well that would be nice to have" make a note of it. If she gets just a couple of nice surprises then she will be happy. One year for my mom's birthday my dad bought her a tractor cause she kept asking him the do something about the weeds in the back yard. Every time she looked out her kitchen window she saw that tractor and thought what a big doof my dad was. The tractor never got used and has since turned rusty. Yeah it is a heirloom type of joke that will be passed on down for generations (I hope) :lol: Hey just don't do something stupid like Grandpa ----- did and by her a tractor....

Wives feel that their husband should know them like we know our husbands. As a matter of fact, I buy most of my husbands clothes because I know him so well.

I also don't care for the gift thing at Christmas either. Too many expectations are centered on gift giving. If the gifts are not what is expected then feelings are hurt. I think that it is best not to expect one thing for Christmas anything you get should be bonus.

I have a friend who said the for one year they could only give handmade gifts, That Christmas was the Best Christmas they ever had because every gift given was a gift of the heart.

Originally posted by Traveler@Sep 9 2005, 09:28 AM

I hate Christmas.  Not the time of year, just the buying Christmas presents.  My family always remembers my worse Christmas.  We were living in Seattle at the time and my wife had a flat tire late one rainy night on the freeway without a spare.  It was not a good night for her.  So I decided to buy her a spare tire for Christmas.  I put it in a nice big box so she would not know what it was and wrapped it so elegantly.  I was sure she would love it so she would not have another flat without a spare on a horrible night.

Well she opened it and burst into tears – except they were not tears of joy.  “How could you buy such a dumb present Dad?” was the cry from the kids.  What was I thinking? 

I have learned not to buy my wife anything that has to do with exercise.  Apparently that sends the wrong message.  I can’t buy anything for the kitchen or cleaning because that makes me a sexist.  I cannot by clothes or jewelry – my wife would never wear something I picked out.  Sometimes I can’t even match my own sox. Gift certificates do not work nor does money.  My wife says they are not real gifts and I should know what people like.  Usually during such a moment I say something really stupid like, “I thought you liked me?”  Personally I don’t care that much about things – I don’t know why anyone does.

I have tried buying her stuff from various parts of the world.  The good news is that she can’t take it back.  There is some silk stuff from China, a Japanese kimono, German clock, some figurines from Spain to name a few.  It is expensive stuff but she won’t wear it or display it – it does not fit the décor or her personality.  If anyone is interested, watch for this stuff at DI’s.  The kimono cost more than a thousand bucks.

The latest stratagem is to take one or both of my daughters with me to help pick out something – anything.  Because I bought it my wife will take it back and exchange it for something but at least inside I can survive on the thought that it was not really me that picked it out.  For a long time she gave up and told me she would buy her own presents.  Those were good times.  But lately she wants me to buy her something.  For the life of me I don’t know why.

The Traveler

LOL... that's priceless.

And FYI, I'm just as stumped as you are, except that my wife collects things that are cobalt blue and all kinds of bunnies, so I can score some points there. :)

Originally posted by Strawberry Fields@Sep 9 2005, 12:16 PM

I also don't care for the gift thing at Christmas either. Too many expectations are centered on gift giving. If the gifts are not what is expected then feelings are hurt. I think that it is best not to expect one thing for Christmas anything you get should be bonus.

I have a friend who said the for one year they could only give handmade gifts, That Christmas was the Best Christmas they ever had because every gift given was a gift of the heart.

One of my favorite things about Christmas is making all kinds of treats to eat and give away as gifts. And FYI, my wife is AWESOME in a kitchen, and she loves it too.

We also have a tradition of staying at home and wearing our pajamas all day long, except on rare occassions when we have some snow outside to play in or when Christmas falls on a Sunday as it does this year, when we change back into our pajamas when coming back in.

This will be the first year that we haven't had our kids at home, though, (the just moved out), so they will be traveling if they want to come spend Christmas with us.

Ahh, Christmas. :)

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by Traveler@Sep 9 2005, 10:28 AM

The Traveler

Women go through stages. Apparently she needs your personal attention.

I would go shopping with her and listen to her comments about different things you pass. Watch her body language and eyes to see how they are reacting to things.

Even ask her a few questions about the things she is looking at... pay attention man... I bet she is giving all kinds of clues.

BTW I loved your post... It had me laughing my sides sore. I am the same way with my husband. After he bought me flanel pjs one Christmas, I told my daughters to please go with him and help him pick something out. My son's even do better at finding me gifts than my husband. LOL

Originally posted by Traveler@Sep 9 2005, 09:28 AM

The Traveler

Maybe she wants you to get to know her well enough that you would actually know of something that she would appreciate receiving, something that she wouldn't buy for herself. Maybe she wants to know that that you know HER.