Why Jews And Mormons Are Smarter.

Fiannan

An excerpt from the article:

Prof Nyborg's claims met widespread criticism. "This is something that is contrary to all moral principle," said Berthel Haarder, the immigration and integration minister, adding that it was "unacceptable".

Prof Lene Koch, of the Public Health Institute, said genetics scientists around the world had rejected the theory that intelligence was hereditary.

"Less intelligent parents do not always have less intelligent children, and parents with higher intelligence do not always have children with higher intelligence," she said.

Doesn't look like most scientists agree with you and your teacher friend either, according to the report.

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by john doe@Sep 11 2005, 04:56 PM

Prof Nyborg's claims met widespread criticism. "This is something that is contrary to all moral principle," said Berthel Haarder, the immigration and integration minister, adding that it was "unacceptable".

Prof Lene Koch, of the Public Health Institute, said genetics scientists around the world had rejected the theory that intelligence was hereditary.

"Less intelligent parents do not always have less intelligent children, and parents with higher intelligence do not always have children with higher intelligence," she said.

Doesn't look like most scientists don't agree with you and your teacher friend either, according to the report.

With double negatives this sentence makes no sense. Please tell us what you want to say.

Nyborg's problem is that he seems to associate economic class with intelligence. This is not always the case that richer people tend to be bright (just because John Kerry and Paris Hilton came from rich backgrounds, I rather doubt either are super geniuses). However, the one problem with talking about intelligence and heredity is that it seems the only trait that it is politically correct and acceptable to say is a factor of our genes is to say that homosexuality is inherited.

Truth is, there is ample evidence that intelligence is mostly a factor of what we are born with while there is little if any convincing data to support the idea that sexual orientation is inherited.

Problem is, it's easy to say "most" this and "most" that when people may feel exactly like Nyborg does, but they are afraid of the firestorm that will develop if they express their opinions openly. I will stand by the challenge to find any scientific studies that show that environment is the most important factor in the development of IQ and specific aptitudes.

Freedom of expression does not exist in today's academic world. Look at gender -- the dean of Harvard suggested that the reason there are more men in hard math oriented fields might, just might, maybe we should consider, maybe that men and women are wired differently -- and many of the faculty wanted him fired.

There is not freedom to express your views if they are outside the mainstream (politically correct) areas.

Originally posted by Please+Sep 11 2005, 04:01 PM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-john doe@Sep 11 2005, 04:56 PM

Doesn't look like most scientists don't agree with you and your teacher friend either, according to the report.

With double negatives this sentence makes no sense. Please tell us what you want to say.

Well, excuuuse me! Now, who's following who around the board taking cheap shots?

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by john doe+Sep 11 2005, 10:44 PM-->

Originally posted by Please@Sep 11 2005, 04:01 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-john doe@Sep 11 2005, 04:56 PM

Well, excuuuse me! Now, who's following who around the board taking hceap shots?

I was just asking you what you meant. You are paranoid. If you don't want us to know what you meant to say, just say so. BTW what is hceap?

• 12 years later...

"I don't get this at all. Only intelligent Mormon women have large families? I don't see the corollation there. It would seem that smarter women would have fewer children to use up the ever declining natural resources of the earth before we all begin killing each other for a loaf of bread. (not that this will happen in our lifetimes, but if we don't curb our breeding, it will happen.)"

I think we should be cautious in employing any strategy that doesn't comply with "Be fruitful and multiply" until that commandment is rescinded or we get new instruction that explicitly over rides it. There are many groups who will continue to have 10-11 children who may not share our propensity for civility. In a democracy the voting power of a group like this could structurally change a country into atmospheric anarchy or even worse, a theocracy. Always, let's make plans that follow Heavenly Father's known instructions.

Edited by SBLACKMD
emphasis

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2005 at 4:22 PM, Heather said:

But what about all those non-intelligent (sweet spirits) LDS women who also produce 12 children? Granted you would have to consent that it would take a great deal of talent to care for that many children, intelligent or not.

And....  both Jews and Latter Day Saints tend to read more books.... than the average person.  

I am not an L.D.S. yet myself but I am seriously impressed how so many Mormons that I have met online are exceptionally well read.  

You tend to have already read.... The Book of Jasher, The book of Enoch and at least several near death experience accounts..... as well as the Book of Mormon.  

Many Christians fear.... . knowing too much and becoming proud as a result........ or they read The Bible itself over and over again so often...... but personally.....

I think I totally misunderstood the Bible until I read several books about near death experience accounts and then I had to rethink my understanding of most of the Bible.