Why is the Lord so detached from our world?

jeff_hawkins

I am LDS, and I have served an LDS mission. I am active, and have served in many callings. I currently hold an active temple recommend, and am worthy to have it.

However, I do not understand everything, especially how detached the Lord seems to be from the lives of the majority of the world.

Statistically and historically, the Lord is very unlikely to intervene and save someone, righteous or wicked, from harm, treachery, horror, torture, abuse, rape, murder, etc.

How many people living in the world today dread their fathers coming home, knowing they will be beaten, molested, abused, maybe even killed. And they pray and pray, and yet still the fists land just as hard.

Where is the intervention of God in this?

I met a lady on my mission who had grown up in El Salvador during some rough times in the 70's and 80's. She was the sole survivor of her village. Guerrilla soldiers invaded her village, raped and tortured the women and children, then lined up everyone from the village on a bridge, tied their hands behind their back, and began to shoot them, one by one. This lady couldn't wait to be shot, and so she jumped from the bridge.

She experienced what she called a miracle then, the soldiers shot at her, and the bullets cut through the rope around her wrists, and she was able to escape. She hid in the jungle for around a week, and was able to eventually escape to America.

However, she lives with the horror of what happened, and the nightmares of what happened to her personally. She can't afford more than living in a run-down apartment, because she has to pay for so much mental therapy. She said that she can't go to church, she can't forgive God for not intervening when little children were raped and tortured in the mud and dirt of her village.

You don't have to look far to see the crime that goes on each day. In Salt Lake City, where the prophets and apostles live, there are numerous horrible crimes, gang problems, rape, murder, child/spouse abuse, drugs, theft, adultery, embezzlement, etc.

If where the prophets and apostles live is such a mess, how can there be any hope for the rest of the world?!! What kind of message is that sending to the rest of world. Where is the beacon of hope, the sanctuary from filth? It is not found in this world, there is minimal celestial intervention.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would give you several answers, but the one you need to understand is found in Genesis.

Gen. 3: 17

17 And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;

We are in a fallen telestial state-- 1st Nephi 10: 6 Wherefore, all mankind were in a lost and in a fallen state, and ever would be save they should rely on this Redeemer.

We know from the first article of faith that we will not suffer for Adam's transgression... so in order to be here in a fallen state we must have fallen also.

There are no innocent except through Christ and the atonement. This brings us to babies and little children under the age of accountability. They are here to receive a body-- but also 'experience'. Joseph Smith was told that it would be just a little moment, but that it was all for his good and experience.

the Lord truly only knows why we need these kinds of hardships, but we must recognize that we are here on a earth where Satan and his hosts were cast.

Eph. 6: 12

12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

One last item for this post-- you don't know who you were before you came here. You don't know how important you are to the Lord's kingdom-- but Satan does. He destroys many promsing noble and great -- like a football game they try to take out the quarterback-- etc..

Edited by Grandmakabipbip

If HE is in so much control, then that really means that he is controlling the horror that exists in the world.

I don't buy that HE is in control of a father who molests and beats his children. I see that more of the father being controlled by Satan than by the Lord.

I understand that the Lord is in control of the Eternal Plan, but as far as us existing in this world, at this time, I see the majority of the time, there is no celestial intervention or involvement when bad things are happening to good people.

Which makes me feel very alone, and like a platoon of soldiers surrounded by the enemy, there is little hope of finding a "good" place in which a man can raise his family in this world, and hope that the family can avoid becoming victims of horrors and crime.

Salt Lake City is definitely one place I would never consider.

I do agree with your reply about Adam, and the cursed state of the earth until Christ comes again.

In order to convict the evil, the evil must do wrong against others - and those others that these crimes are committed against stand as a testimony against those who have done evil.

They'll have their reward.

If hunger and famine are in the world due to the wickedness of their kings & rulers - they will be judged and they will have their reward.

We wish that evil can just happen to other people who are evil, instead of those who are good. That isn't evil. That's self-inflicted justice. Evil IS evil because it happens to the good.

Jacob 2:35

Behold, ye have done greater iniquities than the Lamanites, our brethren. Ye have broken the hearts of your tender wives, and lost the confidence of your children, because of your bad examples before them; and the sobbings of their hearts ascend up to God against you. And because of the strictness of the word of God, wich cometh down against you, many hearts died, pierced with deep wounds.

You are right. The last days especially.. though living during germany's Hitler regime or Italy's Musilini's regime or Polands Stalin days couldn't have been pleasant.

I think when comparing our US to other places and times-- including those of the book of mormon we see that the whole worlds history has been fraught with horror and violence. Watching the patriot with mel gibson shows how the Celtic world had its own nightmares and we know that there has been famines, pestilence and evil throughout the worlds history.

It is just where we are. Not even and especially so Christ... what he suffered..

How can we ask for better than what the Lord suffered.

Physically we may not be safe. We need to follow every word the Lord has given us through his prophets for our day. We have to take time to influence our children and to protect them spiritually if not physically from the world.

It isn't easy as Joseph Smith experienced and as the early saints in Salt lake experienced. Where the good put forth an effort-- Satan gathers his forces and uses the wicked to torment and destroy..

I would say to you-- be anxiously engaged in a good cause-- exercise faith in the Lord and know that this physical world is just a life's sentence where we must prove that against all odds and against all opposition we will do what the Lord says.

He who saves his life-- loses it. He who is willing to forgo his own will -- and embraces the Lord even to the parell of his life-- saves it.

I am LDS, and I have served an LDS mission. I am active, and have served in many callings. I currently hold an active temple recommend, and am worthy to have it.

However, I do not understand everything, especially how detached the Lord seems to be from the lives of the majority of the world.

Statistically and historically, the Lord is very unlikely to intervene and save someone, righteous or wicked, from harm, treachery, horror, torture, abuse, rape, murder, etc.

How many people living in the world today dread their fathers coming home, knowing they will be beaten, molested, abused, maybe even killed. And they pray and pray, and yet still the fists land just as hard.

Where is the intervention of God in this?

I met a lady on my mission who had grown up in El Salvador during some rough times in the 70's and 80's. She was the sole survivor of her village. Guerrilla soldiers invaded her village, raped and tortured the women and children, then lined up everyone from the village on a bridge, tied their hands behind their back, and began to shoot them, one by one. This lady couldn't wait to be shot, and so she jumped from the bridge.

She experienced what she called a miracle then, the soldiers shot at her, and the bullets cut through the rope around her wrists, and she was able to escape. She hid in the jungle for around a week, and was able to eventually escape to America.

However, she lives with the horror of what happened, and the nightmares of what happened to her personally. She can't afford more than living in a run-down apartment, because she has to pay for so much mental therapy. She said that she can't go to church, she can't forgive God for not intervening when little children were raped and tortured in the mud and dirt of her village.

You don't have to look far to see the crime that goes on each day. In Salt Lake City, where the prophets and apostles live, there are numerous horrible crimes, gang problems, rape, murder, child/spouse abuse, drugs, theft, adultery, embezzlement, etc.

If where the prophets and apostles live is such a mess, how can there be any hope for the rest of the world?!! What kind of message is that sending to the rest of world. Where is the beacon of hope, the sanctuary from filth? It is not found in this world, there is minimal celestial intervention.

How many times was it written in the scriptures, where angels or ministering spirits are held back by GOD or the Savior? I can attest of being one of GOD’s henchmen, those who waiting at the portals of Heaven are ready to remove those who are ‘tares among the wheat’ or not living the basic telestial laws. Not to forget, one of the four who have the FATHER’s honor [power], under the guidance of Savior and John, still resides among us and assuming until this person passes away, nothing will be done until then beside others who are involved. It is either GOD or the Savior who is holding them back for a wiser purpose. My brother, it will only get worse in the next few years.

The beacon of hope is to be patience. The prayers of the faithful will eventually be answered when the Savior is ready.

Edited by Hemidakota

In order to convict the evil, the evil must do wrong against others - and those others that these crimes are committed against stand as a testimony against those who have done evil.

They'll have their reward.

If hunger and famine are in the world due to the wickedness of their kings & rulers - they will be judged and they will have their reward.

We wish that evil can just happen to other people who are evil, instead of those who are good. That isn't evil. That's self-inflicted justice. Evil IS evil because it happens to the good.

Jacob 2:35

Behold, ye have done greater iniquities than the Lamanites, our brethren. Ye have broken the hearts of your tender wives, and lost the confidence of your children, because of your bad examples before them; and the sobbings of their hearts ascend up to God against you. And because of the strictness of the word of God, wich cometh down against you, many hearts died, pierced with deep wounds.

The faithful also need trials by fire....:)

Salt lake is one of the most wicked cities in the world.

Where does this come from? I have been in several places around the world and have seen some others where I would not want to be found. There are few places in SLC that I would not feel safe walking at night.

How is SLC one of the most wicked cities in the world?

Ben Raines

Before I forget, to the OP, we first need to look at our own lives before casting judgment upon the world, ensuring we are living the best to our ability or example of the Savior life.

I already stated in a few posts, not many in the church will inherit the highest order of the Celestial Kingdom for one reason or another prior to judgment. Waiting for the next life to find out is leaving doubt in our standing before the Godhead. We must adhere to the principles taught by Peter, Paul, and Joseph Smith [calling election] to seek out this information, personally.

Food for thought....

the lord looketh upon the heart. Where much is given-- much is expected. I would say pride, gossip, lazyiness correlating to what has been given-- might be some of the reasons the Lord would consider it more wicked.

consider that they are now as a city and even saints -- embracing gays and their movement with great sympathy as a sign of wickedness.