Tithing: Pre-tax or After tax? Gross v. Net?

nimrod

Why, yes, Beefche, as a matter of fact, I believe I may indeed have met with my bishop for a tithing settlement interview, as remarkable as that may sound.

If you just say "Yes," you're usually okay.

If you actually discuss the issue with him, as a significant number of my friends and acquaintances have done, you sometimes wind up on a slope of judgment tumulting to a pit of inadequacy. I just say "Yes, I do pay a full tithe." Other sometimes explain why they decided on this amount or that amount, or explain that they have had to postpone tithing payments because of some emergency, or for inadequate income (can't make rent and utility payments), or because half their income goes to a lousy spousy; they are often, maybe not always, but often, denied the "blessings' that "more full" tithe payers receive, such as, as I said before, temple recommends. I suppose they could be lying to me, or on the other hand those who disbelieve them might not have as much experience with this as they do, collectively.

If the tithing really were between the tithe-payer and the Lord, the bishop would not get involved.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the tithing really were between the tithe-payer and the Lord, the bishop would not get involved.

ALL spiritual matters are between the individual and the Lord. However, the bishop is still assigned as a "judge in Israel" over the Lord's people, and he is charged with making sure no one is trying to cheat the Lord or the church (among other things). As such, he is required to ask certain questions during a temple recommend interview. If the individual answers those questions dishonestly, it is on his/her head. I've heard of some bishops who received inspiration that people were not being honest with them. The bishop still has to do his part.

If someone feels secure that they are a full tithe payer, then that is all they need to tell the bishop. If they are not so sure and want their bishop's input, then the time to discuss that with the bishop is probably BEFORE the recommend interview.

Edited by MormonMama

Why, yes, Beefche, as a matter of fact, I believe I may indeed have met with my bishop for a tithing settlement interview, as remarkable as that may sound.

If you just say "Yes," you're usually okay.

If you actually discuss the issue with him, as a significant number of my friends and acquaintances have done, you sometimes wind up on a slope of judgment tumulting to a pit of inadequacy. I just say "Yes, I do pay a full tithe." Other sometimes explain why they decided on this amount or that amount, or explain that they have had to postpone tithing payments because of some emergency, or for inadequate income (can't make rent and utility payments), or because half their income goes to a lousy spousy; they are often, maybe not always, but often, denied the "blessings' that "more full" tithe payers receive, such as, as I said before, temple recommends. I suppose they could be lying to me, or on the other hand those who disbelieve them might not have as much experience with this as they do, collectively.

Gnat, don't get your panties in a wad. I don't know if you are a current member, former member or non-member--so I have no idea if you've ever attended a tithing settlement.

The bishop is there to guide and instruct. If one has an issue about tithing, he can go to the bishop to gain understanding. But a bishop can't tell you to pay on net or gross. He can only guide you to make a decision yourself.

If people choose to discuss their way of paying tithing during a tithing settlement, that's their business. But the bishop is there for you to declare whether you are a full tithe payer or something else.

• 4 weeks later...