The LDS view of ex-Mormons who become Christian

thews

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't recall anyone bringing this up in the thread, so I'll address it here. If someone has brought it up, I apologize.

Basically, you would have to be what is called a "Son of Perdition" to spend eterminity in "hell," or what is called "outer darkness." (I get different definitions of what this is, but it is the Mormon version of hell.) Everyone else will be assigned to one of the kingdoms.

Thanks... this is what I wanted to know. When I tell my family that because I am Christian, though I had my name removed, they should assume I won't be damned for doing it. I really appreciate this.

I do know that people who have left the Church as a mortal, or who were never taught the gospel in the first place, will be sent to the Spirit Prison (not as bad as it sounds), and will be taught the gospel by persons living in Paradise.We will be given a chance to reject or accept the gospel at that time.

So, unless you are truly a Son of Perdition, (which is, IIRC a difficult thing to become), you will reside in at least the telestial kingdom.

Elphaba

PS: I think a number of people in my family find comfort in this doctrine.

Where I get confused is the part where BY says Joseph Smith is the one who decides who goes where in heaven, and not God or Jesus Christ. Again thanks for this.

Mormons believe that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God who restored the teachings of Jesus Christ. Other churches are simply reformers or protesters of the catholic church. Starting with Martin Luther in the 1500’s, to spin offs of his teaching by Martin Luther and John Calvin. Are you a follower of Luther, or Calvin? Were they prophets or just some guys with good ideas? How does your spin off from catholic teaching make you more right, or more Christian than mine?

I am not more right and that's not what I'm implying. My point was what each word, by definition encompassed. I'm apologize if I offended anyone, I was meerly stating my opinion.

Some Christians reject Joseph Smith as a false prophet of God. Others, mainly members of the LDS Church, accept Joseph Smith as a prophet of God. To claim that LDS are not Christian when it is obvious that we teach, preach, and believe in Christ as the head of our religion is a very un-Christ-like thing to do. While you may not espouse the same beliefs or definitions that we do, we are very Christian in our beliefs and works. Yet some Christians propose to speak for Christ and tell us who is or is not a Christian. Not very Christ-like if you ask me.

Edited to add: If you are really a former LDS you of all people should know that we are Christian. Unless you're just saying that to get a reaction from us.

I think you're misunderstanding me and i don't appreciate you telling me I am being "Not being very Christ-like" by asking a question and stating an opinion about the definition of a word. My point was based on what Mormons believe encompasses Jesus Christ. If Jesus Christ is part of the Godhead in Mormonism (henotheism), and Christians believe that Jesus was God (monotheism), then that's (along with the different doctrine) where I based my opinion.

Can you explain to me who Jesus Christ is WRT to God and Joseph Smith in the Mormon

Godhead?

That's a great line, can I use it in my signature?

Sure. If you want to argue which tastes better, chocolate or vanilla, you would assume one is correct which is my point. If it's not based on factual information, everyon ehas a right to their opinion or belief. Do Mormons in here always attack people that have differing opinions?

Sure. If you want to argue which tastes better, chocolate or vanilla, you would assume one is correct which is my point. If it's not based on factual information, everyon ehas a right to their opinion or belief.

Thanks, I'll even give you credit for it.

Do Mormons in here always attack people that have differing opinions?

No, but we do feel we have a responsibility to correct those who come to an LDS-centric message board and try to tell us how we believe. Especially when they obviously have no idea what we believe.

As a (soon to be former) LDS you honestly don't know? Tell us again, why are you leaving the church? Because you don't believe, or because you have no clue what we teach?

I have a clue, but don't understand the label of how "Christian" is being used and what it encompasses in defining "Christian" doctrine. I don't wish to offend you, but without going into the entire Godhead perspective from an LDS view, would you agree with the following, and if not I'd like to know why:

Christian (monotheistic) - One God and Jesus Christ is God in man, just as he is God in heaven.

Mormon theology (henothestic) - Jesus Christ is a God, but a separate entity from God the father and the Holy Ghost.

Thanks, I'll even give you credit for it.

as you wish

No, but we do feel we have a responsibility to correct those who come to an LDS-centric message board and try to tell us how we believe. Especially when they obviously have no idea what we believe.

So now you're telling me I have no idea what you believe, and it's I who is asking the question in order to figure out what you believe. This "responsibility" to "correct" me is deemed worthy by you, when I would counter with the fact that I'm asking you all the question and being attacked for not subscribing to what you accept. My question is justified in its intent. I simply wanted to know what the LDS view of what they think happens to a person who leaves the LDS church and becomes a Christian while rejecting the doctrine of Joseph Smith. I thank those that offered an answer and didn't chose to attack me for asking the question.

I have a clue, but don't understand the label of how "Christian" is being used and what it encompasses in defining "Christian" doctrine. I don't wish to offend you, but without going into the entire Godhead perspective from an LDS view, would you agree with the following, and if not I'd like to know why:

Christian (monotheistic) - One God and Jesus Christ is God in man, just as he is God in heaven.

Mormon theology (henothestic) - Jesus Christ is a God, but a separate entity from God the father and the Holy Ghost.

Perhaps this thread would shed some light on your question.

http://www.lds.net/forums/lds-gospel-discussion/24877-lds-faith-monotheistic.html

as you wish

So now you're telling me I have no idea what you believe, and it's I who is asking the question in order to figure out what you believe. This "responsibility" to "correct" me is deemed worthy by you, when I would counter with the fact that I'm asking you all the question and being attacked for not subscribing to what you accept. My question is justified in its intent. I simply wanted to know what the LDS view of what they think happens to a person who leaves the LDS church and becomes a Christian while rejecting the doctrine of Joseph Smith. I thank those that offered an answer and didn't chose to attack me for asking the question.

You received your answers long ago and then you started in on this notion of LDS not being Christian. These things lead me to believe that if you ever were LDS, you certainly didn't attend enough to know anything about what LDS believe. But here you are anyway denigrating us. Why?

Were you ever LDS? If, as you believe, we are wrong, what do you care about where we believe you will go for rejecting LDS Christianity? If we're wrong, it doesn't matter what we believe.

You honestly don't know the difference between being accused of being dumb and being accused of playing dumb?

Really?

you posted this...

Holy flip.

:bangcomputer:

:combust:

and didn't answer my question. Am I not allowed to ask an honest question in the "Christian other beliefs" section without you attacking me?

You received your answers long ago and then you started in on this notion of LDS not being Christian. These things lead me to believe that if you ever were LDS, you certainly didn't attend enough to know anything about what LDS believe. But here you are anyway denigrating us. Why?

This is your opinion and not mine.

I just wanted to know the LDS perspective of what they feel happens to a Mormon who rejects Joseph Smith but remains a Christian, and you claimed they were the same. By your logic, you can disagree with me but I can't disagree with you. It really didn't answer the question, but some people gave me great information to formulatye a response to my family.

Were you ever LDS? If, as you believe, we are wrong, what do you care about where we believe you will go for rejecting LDS Christianity? If we're wrong, it doesn't matter what we believe.

I've alreadt stated what I believe. The question isn't an attack on what you believe, but that's what you're attempting to turn it into... something other that what was asked.

Am I not allowed to ask an honest question in the "Christian other beliefs" section without you attacking me?

Honest questions? Sure, if you have any.

But if you think you've got some inalienable right to make nonsensical posts and have them go unrefuted or (in egregious cases) unmocked, you've got another thing coming.

And this:

An opinion can't be wrong if it's not based on facts.

is nonsensical as written. Egregiously so.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

This is your opinion and not mine.

I just wanted to know the LDS perspective of what they feel happens to a Mormon who rejects Joseph Smith but remains a Christian, and you claimed they were the same. By your logic, you can disagree with me but I can't disagree with you. It really didn't answer the question, but some people gave me great information to formulatye a response to my family.

I've alreadt stated what I believe. The question isn't an attack on what you believe, but that's what you're attempting to turn it into... something other that what was asked.

So you admit that Mormons ARE Christians? :D

I don't think anyone claimed they are the SAME. Are Catholics the same as Protestants? Are born agains the same as Baptists? But are they all fall under the heading Christian.

Rather like, in my previous point, are all bears the same as dogs? Are cats related to mice? Yet they all fall under the definition of mammal, even if they aren't all the same, nor even eat the same food or have the same habitats.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints believes in and has faith in Christ.

Please take the following comment in the spirit in which it is intended. Not angry. Maybe a bit teasing, a tad flabbergasted, but I'm striving for lovingly too (as I feel like I've gotten to know you the last several days, and hold no ire against you, but wish to treat you as a brother under God):

As for comparing dictionary definitions with a preference in ice cream... It seems obvious a dictionary definition is the correct one. When taking a test in high school, if you had an incorrect answer, did you take it to the teacher and say "Based on my opinion, this really is the correct answer"?