I received my call today

allredcon

I woke up at 7am and couldn't get back to sleep. I waited all day for the mail and finally - it came! I put my papers in last Tuesday and beyond some peoples belief I actually got it today.

I held on to my call until about 3 pm (received it at 1) and read it in front of my family. To give you guys some background on my background, I have a pretty rough patch in my highschool days. Finding the church again was one of the best blessings in my entire life and it has been worth every bit.

As I began to read "Dear Elder Allred:

You are hereby called to serve as a missionary of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" my eyes welled up with tears, these were words that I had wanted to read since I can remember. I always was moved by the first words of a mission call and finally received a call beginning with my name.

I continued to read and paused before I read where I am going -- my sister was visiting from Connecticut with her new husband for her reception this week; perfect timing to get my call. I said "Oh my goodness" and read that I am assigned to labor in the Connecticut Hartford Mission.

My sister started to cry. She was not married in the temple, and her husband is an RM but inactive. Now I will be serving in their state. She was so happy that I may one day go to the temple with her after my mission.

Everyone cheered and my mom was crying. It was really loud and then I remembered "hey, I wanted to learn a language" and continued reading. I told everyone to wait a minute! I then read "You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Spanish language." I was absolutely speechless. My mother had first said when I decided to go that she thinks I was going to New England area States, and I even thought I may go to New York. I wanted to learn a language really bad, and kind of wanted to go somewhere cold. It's almost spooky that everything fell into place so well.

Here is something I shared with my friend who is putting his papers in in these next few weeks:

"you probably hear this a lot, but let me tell you what it feels like in detail. People say "Wherever you go, it'll be great" when I heard that I thought "they are just telling me that so I am happy with anything" but it really is so true. You'll open your call and read "You are hereby called to serve as a missionary..." and then you'll read where you are going and the burning in your bosom is there. You may shake, or be numb. But it's the most amazing feeling in the world. you know that's where you need to be."

I leave for the MTC on December 9th and will be there for I believe two months to learn the language.

Hopefully my sister living so close doesn't move me, it shouldn't but I have heard of it. I know this is where I need to be. I can't wait to teach the people of Connecticut and Rhode Island.

I think that's about all I have for now. :)

Too bad you were not sent further North and East. You could have served in the Halifax Canada Mission, served in Newfoundland and had it very cold and learned a unique language called Newfie! Just remember to be kind to your Ward Mission Leaders, we try hard to help:)

Too bad you were not sent further North and East. You could have served in the Halifax Canada Mission, served in Newfoundland and had it very cold and learned a unique language called Newfie! Just remember to be kind to your Ward Mission Leaders, we try hard to help:)

newfie's one of the hardest languages to learn!

congrats on the call!!!

I need a new call:

My scriptures were stacked on top of my mission call, on top of my envelope. And my mother decided to use my mission call to test out her pen. Then, she tried to erase it, using a blue eraser; leaving a large blue stain on my call. Does anyone know how to receive a new call signed by the prophet?

I got another one, President Monson rocks! He signed it again for me. I can see him now thinking "I swear I signed this one already..." and his secretary saying "his mother wrote on it on accident" and him ending with a laugh haha. at least that's how I think it went down. either way, I'm happy, my mom apologized and I got my call signed! Woo!

No his talk would be something along the line. I received a wonderful message from a loving mother who quite by accident..blah blah. I felt for this wonderful young man who is willingly wanting to serve the Lord. I said to myself; "What could I do to make everyone in this family happy." To myself I replied, "Self, sign another letter to that wonderful young missionary so that all will be right and happy in that family."

Yep I'm sure that's how it went down.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I got another one, President Monson rocks! He signed it again for me. I can see him now thinking "I swear I signed this one already..." and his secretary saying "his mother wrote on it on accident" and him ending with a laugh haha. at least that's how I think it went down. either way, I'm happy, my mom apologized and I got my call signed! Woo!

Haha that's funny but you know he doesn't actually sign the calls, right? It's just a reprint of his signature.