A fun article from an ex-Mormon

Just_A_Guy

Lots of great insights in this post, which came out of the Romney campaign. One of my favorite:

Am I the only one to find tiresome the endless trope among Christians of this country that they wish they could have (wholesome, good hearted) Mormons without (cultish, anti-Christian) Mormonism?

• 3 weeks later...

Lots of great insights in this post, which came out of the Romney campaign. One of my favorite:

The irony in this comes from the fact that they assume that their perception of cultism and anti-christianity within the LDS Church is as real as the good wholesomeness they cannot deny exists.

Put another way, they like the consequenses of what kind of people the LDS Church generally produces, they just don't like what it seems to take in order to get those results.

What I've found myself is that when those very people get to know the average member of the LDS Church, they realize that the 'cultish' part isn't what they thought it was.

But of course, it is only because we don't tell them all the 'cultish' stuff. Aside from the secret priesthood meetings...

You know, like HT and VT. Ooohhh. Checking up at least once a month to make sure that the flock keeps to the party line.

And 3 hours of meetings, With that much time spent at church, it is no wonder we are brainwashed!

And tithing. You mean you have to PAY to get into the temple!?

and then there are the callings. Only a mind-numbed robot would do things for others and work for free, abandoning family and leisure to carry out the instructions of those old, mysterious 'brethren' in SLC!

And finally, you just can't get past all that praying and scripture study. Only a deluded mind would think you have to do THAT everyday!

I've never really understood the designation 'cult.' Seems to me whenever I've looked it up, it implies a new religion that doesn't really claim roots from another religion and led by a charismatic leader, often fading away when the charismatic leader dies. I would think all religions fall into that category to some degree, even the established religions Catholics, Islam, etc. start out that way. So the only thing different is the 'new' part. Well, when do LDS lose their 'new' status, after 100 years, 200 years? I would think that if the religion didn't die off when the founder died, then it shouldn't be called a cult. I think a lot of people use that term without knowing what it means.

If you look at the dictionary definition of a cult, you'll see that most every major (and most minor) religions in the world fit it somehow.

The word has been hijacked and restricted to mean religions that are extreme/exclusive/secretive compared to the average society it is surrounded by. For instance, the Branch Davidians, Warren Jeffs and his group....there are others, but those are the groups some try to put the LDS Church alongside.

Having said that, seeing this comment as a part of current events (even two years old) is encouraging to see. It means to me that intelligent discussions are taking place. As long as they continue, the knee-jerk diatribe from the anti-LDS will continue to be seen for what it is. That will always be a good thing in my book.

• 1 month later...