Survivor

Dr T

I'm not sure if anybody still watches this show but I just watched the first episode of the newest season. All I have to say is "Why do some peole still wear hills to that show?" and there is a guy there that does not seem to bright-trying to hurt his own team! Maybe Ben will watch this show.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The heals I don't get. Thats got to be a woman thing that I'll never understand. (as far as I know only 1 woman was wearing heals)

The guy that is trying hurt his own team is actually part of the challenge for him. (If you don't want to know any more then you better stop reading)

From what I have gathered he owns some Oil Company already in Texas and is already a millionaire. He came on the show to show how easy it would be for him to win. So far he talked to three "dumb" girls (thats what he calls them) and tries to form some alliance. I found it funny he called it his secret alliance. He kind of tried to do this with an older lady (older for the show) but she is a cop and she can kind of tell something is up with him. When one of the girls kind of called him out for talking to everybody, he thought that was a threat and told everybody else to vote her out, and she is gone.

Next this guy lied about being in Katrina, he told them he lived right by the levy’s and him and his dog was in the house when the water came in. That he made his way to the roof of the house and was there for 2 days. He then says he doesn't even have a dog and never lived in New Orleans.

Last he knew if people were miserable they would fight more. So he dumbed out all the water they had in there canteens. For me I would have realized if I was out of water or not.

He thinks he is so good at the game that he can win. The problem is he is probably one of the strongest and he plays 100% at the challenges. So nobody is going to put him on the list of kicking him off. I think people are going to have to catch him in the lie or doing something before he gets kicked off, but he is trouble for their team.

I just watched it online and have now programmed it to record so I won't have to watch online in the future.

I agree with the whole clothes thing. What are these people told? Show up for a cocktail party and then are abducted to the island. I wouldn't go anywhere, knowing I was chosen, without being in my best outdoors clothes. Heels, lets just say stupid.

I like Russ. While those who watch the show after the game will probably hate him and never speak to him again this is about playing survivor and he has skills.

Willow out the weak and dumb and let the games begin.

Ben Raines

yeah I didn't want to say too much in the OP. I'm glad some people still watch :D The thing I see about Russell is he's sabotaging his own team! When he hurts his team then the other tribe can just pick them and him off one at a time. We'll see what happens. I have to watch it online. I wish they network wouldn't give it away before I watch it though. This is going to be fun.

Edited by Dr T
I had to post is like 3 times and it got all jumbled so had to fix it.

Willow out the weak and dumb and let the games begin

I can see the thinking here, but like Dr T said, right now you want your TEAM to get to the end. Or you at least want to have more players from your Team get to the end. Because one they merge his act isn't going to work (very well) on the other team. They are already going to be suspicious.

Ok, I just watched the second show of this season. In a nutshell, I'd say, "It was good that they got so into the physical challenge this time. It showed me that the teams were going all out to win and I like that a lot. Secondly, it did not surprise me that it was that person that had to sit out the rest of that challenge (because of what he's like as a person), at least based on what they have shown of him so far. Thirdly, the winning team's rival tribe member that went to the losing side for the night-"She messed up BIG" imo. Seriously, coming at them as she did? What did she really expect from them and how could she see that as a useful thing for her (in any real way)? I was thinking, "Bite your tongue girl." What else do I want to say about this episode? I will not say much about the person that was voted off yet but will say that I really liked that person. That person seemed nice and seemed to me to have good sense about other people in the tribe. Too bad that person got the boot from the island. Oh yeah, I put up a poll about Survivor last week wondering about what you all think of how you view Russell. Please check it out and vote on it. I'd love to hear what you all thought about this episode too if you get a second. Thanks

Yeah Yasmin that was her name. That is a hard one because I'd have a hard time being so aggressive with a female but then again, I don't know if he was overboard or just playing the game to protect his teammate. I guess I'm kind of old fashioned that way and not too rough with the girls but I'd still hold them off my team. Her approach to it was all wrong imo.

I have followed Survivor on previous years but this year I actually started watching because of this thread. I agree that Russell is definately playing the game, where other people are not as much, however he does make it very easy to dislike him. I cheered last night when the person who he worked so hard to keep in the tribe ended up going home. Puppets indeed! Though he is good at manipulating people he is not the mastermind he thinks he is. People will do what they are going to do no matter how good you are at manipulating them. Though he may see what he is doing as a good thing his actions are causing his team to dissapear around him, because they are so miserable and unhappy they are losing the challenges. I think the reason I find Survivor so interesting is that it is often like seeing a little slice of humanity. And watching the way people interact with each other can be quite interesting.

If Survivor is a slice of humanity then humanity is between 21 and 30, physically fit young people and overweight older people. As an average based on this slice of humanity the over 40 crowd is less than 10 percent of the population.

While I enjoy the show very much it is purely made to sell advertising. Marks to the crowd who wants to look at bikini girls and guys with washboard abs.

Ben Raines

I have followed Survivor on previous years but this year I actually started watching because of this thread. I agree that Russell is definately playing the game, where other people are not as much, however he does make it very easy to dislike him. I cheered last night when the person who he worked so hard to keep in the tribe ended up going home. Puppets indeed! Though he is good at manipulating people he is not the mastermind he thinks he is. People will do what they are going to do no matter how good you are at manipulating them. Though he may see what he is doing as a good thing his actions are causing his team to dissapear around him, because they are so miserable and unhappy they are losing the challenges. I think the reason I find Survivor so interesting is that it is often like seeing a little slice of humanity. And watching the way people interact with each other can be quite interesting.

Well said Tarnished. I'm happy to see that you are watching it because of this thread. I now look forward to reading your thoughts on this season. I watched it online this evening so had to wait to open this thread so I didn't ruin it for myself. :) I agree with you on Russell. The thing that got me was when he said, he manipulates others by what he called throwing out "Russell seeds." It is good to lay something out and then let people process it in isolation to get in their heads but I agree I don't think he's doing himself too much of a favor but he's doing ok I guess. I saw it as being insidious in his approach to play. I also wanted to get people's thoughts about Ben's words to Yasmin last week and then Jaison's response to him this week at tribal council. Did you all see it as racially motivated or something else? I’m sure it’s a combo of things but wanted to hear what you thought his main reason was in getting those words across? What did you think of Jaison's putting himself out there like he did when he said, he didn't want to be around anymore with Ben. Was that smart or foolish? I personally like Jaison. He seems intelligent, a good competitor, and friendly so far. I also agree with you Ben about the people on the show being selected for financial purposes (to attract people to watch). The people are nice looking contestants. It's been fun so far. I really enjoy the group dynamics a lot too. I think one tribe has been working together at least more together than the other. The psychological aspect in the dynamics will be important to watch. If they do not pull together quickly, I see them falling apart quickly.

In regarding my comment about a slice of humanity I was meaning more of how they interact with each other rather than their age or physical fitness. But I do agree that it is quite focused on making money.

Regarding the whole Ben and Jasmin and Ben and Jaison thing, I think Ben's reaction to Jasmin was probably just how he reacts to that kind of confrontation, however I think the way he reacted was a bit over the top. I think the confrontation between the two of them did not score any points for either of them. And I do think that it was part of the reason that Ben was voted off. As for Jaison's response to Ben, I think Jaison had gotten to a point where he really wanted Ben out, and I think the "rage" he got himself into at tribal counsel was his way of ensuring that Ben was out. He mentioned before that he would use the threat of quitting as a way to force Ben out, but I think instead he really used the confrontation as his way of ensuring that Ben was gone. Did it really have to do with race? I don't know, I don't really feel that it did, I think it was something that Jaison used as a manuver to get rid of Ben. However, that said, I do feel that Jaison was actually quite collected during his attack, that was interesting for me.

I have to say that Russell's referal to his "Russell seeds" was a little bit weird for me. He strikes me as a very slimy guy. But then again he is trying to play this game from the get go. What I see as a problem for him is that at some point something is going to go wrong for him and then I could easily see him getting gotten rid of quick.

It reminds me of playing Mafia in college, one person would be the mafia and would kill people off one by one, and one person would be the detective and try to find the mafia player. After each turn someone would be killed by the mafia player and someone would be voted out by the group. The goal was to catch the mafia player before they killed everyone. Russell reminds me of the person who is the mafia player, his goal is to kill (vote out) everyone else before he is found out. I just wonder how well it will work for him.