Celestial Kingdom

bytor2112

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All over the place :lol: The only requirement to enter the Celestial kingdom is baptism.

And you have to live up to the covenant made in conjunction with the ordinance, but I suppose that is kinda implied (along with receiving the Gift of the Holy Ghost by the laying on of hands).

Reference for those who were wondering.

Doctrine and Covenants 76:50-70

Also a reference for the 3 degrees inside of the Celestial Kingdom.

Doctrine and Covenants 131:1-4

I think the "middle" place is for those who qualified in every way for exaltation, but were not sealed to a companion.

Help me if I misunderstood this statement. Are you saying that only people that are 1) baptized;living according to the gospel and 2) in a sealed marriage can go to the celestial kingdom? I've only been a member for 2 years so I am learning new things all the time. I just want to make sure I didn't misundertand what you had said. Thanks!

And you have to live up to the covenant made in conjunction with the ordinance, but I suppose that is kinda implied (along with receiving the Gift of the Holy Ghost by the laying on of hands).

Reference for those who were wondering.

Doctrine and Covenants 76:50-70

Also a reference for the 3 degrees inside of the Celestial Kingdom.

Doctrine and Covenants 131:1-4

So the lower celestial degrees we cant have children or become as Christ?:)

Help me if I misunderstood this statement. Are you saying that only people that are 1) baptized;living according to the gospel and 2) in a sealed marriage can go to the celestial kingdom? I've only been a member for 2 years so I am learning new things all the time. I just want to make sure I didn't misundertand what you had said. Thanks!

There are different degrees within the celestial kingdom appart from the other two glories, that we are talking about here.

To qualify for a celestial glory, the only requirement is to be baptised and endure to the end of your life in righteousness. Thats it thats all. That is Salvation.

But to make it to the highest degree within the celestial kingdom, it is required for one to enter into the covenant of celestial marriage (you called it a sealed marriage). Only then can one become as God and have eternal increase. The is Exaltation. These verses explain it very easily:

1 In the celestial glory there are three heavens or degrees;

2 And in order to obtain the highest, a man must enter into this order of the priesthood [meaning the new and deverlasting covenant of marriage];

3 And if he does not, he cannot obtain it.

4 He may enter into the other, but that is the end of his kingdom; he cannot have an aincrease.

(D&C 131|1~4)

I hope this answers your question :)

Hmmm. So, because I haven't married, I get to serve others in the afterlife? Like some sort of maid? Gee... makes me wonder what's the point? I suppose in my line of work in this world, I'll at least be used to being a servant to others and I enjoy my career. So, hopefully, I'll enjoy being a servant throughout eternity also. But, it doesn't seem like much of a "reward" for "enduring to the end." I guess that sounds rather sarcastic.

But, why will I not be able to be exalted because of a decision that has to be made mutually? After all, I can't force someone to marry me, can I? Or force him to be a priesthood holder? And people wonder why I struggle so much with a testimony! Pretty much, in terms of exaltation, I have two strikes against me... 1. being female and 2. being single.

Three levels of the Celestial Kingdom, right?

Highest level = Exaltation

Middle Level = ??????????

Lowest level = Ministering Angels

Who goes to the middle level?

It is my suspicion that this may be a misinterpretation of D&C 131:1-4

"In the celestial glory there are three heavens or degrees; and in order to obtain the highest, a man must enter into this order of the priesthood [meaning the new and everlasting covenant of marriage]; and if he does not, he cannot obtain it. He may enter into the other, but that is the end of his kingdom; he cannot have an increase."

This is traditionally interpreted as meaning that the celestial kingdom has "three heavens or degrees". I suspect that it simply means that the heavenly (or, in other words, celestial) realms consist of three large divisions, those which we generally call "celestial", "terrestrial", and "telestial". In this interpretation, we are told that to enter into the highest "heaven or degree" of the "celestial glory" -- aka the celestial kingdom -- a man must be sealed to a woman.

Of course, I might be wrong. I don't preach this in Church. But it sure seems like a little bit of overinterpretation of something that might have a much simpler explanation, sort of a less clearcut version of the old "Jesus was born on April 6" canard based solely on a formalistic introduction to Section 20.

Edited by Vort

nd people wonder why I struggle so much with a testimony! Pretty much, in terms of exaltation, I have two strikes against me... 1. being female and 2. being single.

I don't understand. In what way is "being female" a strike against you "in terms of exaltation"?

Hmmm. So, because I haven't married, I get to serve others in the afterlife? Like some sort of maid? Gee... makes me wonder what's the point? I suppose in my line of work in this world, I'll at least be used to being a servant to others and I enjoy my career. So, hopefully, I'll enjoy being a servant throughout eternity also. But, it doesn't seem like much of a "reward" for "enduring to the end." I guess that sounds rather sarcastic.

Every other religion teaches that winding up as an angel is a pretty decent reward.

What's wrong with angels in Mormonism?

But, why will I not be able to be exalted because of a decision that has to be made mutually? After all, I can't force someone to marry me, can I? Or force him to be a priesthood holder? And people wonder why I struggle so much with a testimony! Pretty much, in terms of exaltation, I have two strikes against me... 1. being female and 2. being single.

Do you believe the church leaders when they say that people who are unmarried through no fault of their own will lose none of the blessings of exaltation?

From lds.org

From another revelation to the Prophet Joseph, we learn that there are three degrees within the celestial kingdom. To be exalted in the highest degree and continue eternally in family relationships, we must enter into "the new and everlasting covenant of marriage" and be true to that covenant. In other words, temple marriage is a requirement for obtaining the highest degree of celestial glory. (See D&C 131:1–4.) All who are worthy to enter into the new and everlasting covenant of marriage will have that opportunity, whether in this life or the next.

All who are worthy to enter into the new and everlasting covenant of marriage will have that opportunity, whether in this life or the next.

Ferretrunner...hopefully that will put your mind to ease a bit.

i always get confused when people say that they can do stuff after this life. marriage being the case here; baptism, repentance and sealings being examples of other conversations. i get confused because the book of mormon teaches that we have to use this life to prepare for the next. alma 34:33 says:

"...I beseech of you that ye do not procrastinate the day of your repentance until the end; for after this day of life, which is given us to prepare for eternity, behold, if we do not improve our time while in this life, then cometh the night of darkness wherein there can be no labor performed."

also, isn't the new and everlasting covenant of marriage polygamy? doesn't d and c 132 teach that?

Three levels of the Celestial Kingdom, right?

Highest level = Exaltation

Middle Level = ??????????

Lowest level = Ministering Angels

Who goes to the middle level?

Anyone who does not get exalted will be ministering angels. Highest level/exaltation is for those who are valiant that also are sealed in the temple, receiving the Patriarchal Priesthood and have it sealed by the Holy Spirit of Promise.

Those in the middle level would possibly be those who receive their endowments, but do not choose to be sealed for eternity, losing out on the fullness of God's program of godhood.

Those in the lowest level would be those who are baptized and are valiant in keeping their baptism covenants.

No, no. Do not fret. :)

You have no dissadvantage for being a female. The General Authorities usually say, as mentioned by Just_A_Guy and Pam, that if we were not married of no fault of our own, while still being faithful, Heavenly father will not withhold the blessings of exaltation to that someone.

I have heard before, though I dont have a resource to prove it at the moment, that the millenium will also be a time where the just will be able to marry as well. Just because we arent married in this life, doesn't take away the possibility of being given the opportunity later. I have heard different speculations and ideas concerning that, which none I feel too confident to talk about, but be joyfull in your heart to know that God is a successfull parent, and in His perfect justice, you will be rewarded for your faith. Wether in this life or not...