? Jesus' Virgin Birth

We also have to remember that Brigham Young and others attempted to understand the things of God by speculating, based upon the knowledge they had. For Brigham Young, and for Ezra Taft Benson back 40 years ago, there was no alternative to natural child-begetting. So it would have made sense that this was the way God would also do it.

As for "This is my Only Begotten Son...", is it any less begotten if God's fertilizing of Mary's egg occurred in a test tube?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe Brigham Young was the first that came close to saying it, subsequent leaders of the Church also hinted at it - although not one not even Brigham ever came right out and said it, so its all open to interpretation,

As far as your quote, Luke states it differently and I believe clarifies what Matthew said :

So the Holy Ghost make is possible for the Highest (God the Father) to make her conceive, thus Jesus is the Son of God, not the son of the Holy Ghost

It reminds of John, who tried to describe future events [Revelations] when observing it in a vision with surrounding species or his own understanding of that day. Being an engineer and a tincker of Architectural design, I had dream of the same nature as John, when trying to describe an event where I witnessed an ‘X’ type aircraft being tested, which reminded me of a Mantis in flight when it flew. Though, I suspect, this future aircraft may come about very soon or maybe now a part of the SkunkWerks products, but it was hard to write it on paper as John wrote the Apocalypses of John [book of Revelation].

[Adding to Rams post] I do believe Brigham Young and other past brethren, may had believe it was a conception by interaction of two beings was based on their current knowledge of physical science of that day. Yet, for us, we have witnessed in our day, we can now clone body parts, animals, in a test tube today, without the aid of introducing physical contact with each other.

Edited by Hemidakota

Ok, I have a question. This is all too confusing for me, but I thought that in the next life, for the most part, LDS members believe in having literal sexual relations in order to conceive spirit children. That's pretty much the general idea I have heard. So, why is it different with Mary? Or is sex not required in the next life, and there is some other miraculous way to bear children?

It doesn't really matter to me, I am curious, but I don't believe God had sex with Mary, nor do I believe in spirit children and the like, but the two kind of seemed to contradict each other, and I do not understand.

There is no official church position on how children are conceived, created, organized, whatever term is used for the next life. Further, the church has never said more about Jesus's birth of Mary except what has been revealed in the scriptures.

What you've heard is likely speculation by members of the church who are convinced they are right and so present their thoughts as doctrine.

Ok, I have a question. This is all too confusing for me, but I thought that in the next life, for the most part, LDS members believe in having literal sexual relations in order to conceive spirit children. That's pretty much the general idea I have heard. So, why is it different with Mary? Or is sex not required in the next life, and there is some other miraculous way to bear children?

It doesn't really matter to me, I am curious, but I don't believe God had sex with Mary, nor do I believe in spirit children and the like, but the two kind of seemed to contradict each other, and I do not understand.

That has not been revealed to us. Any speculation on the part of members would be just that, speculation.

Yes, I know it's not exactly doctrine, but it's a popular belief, and so is the virgin birth now days. Maybe some one who believes in the virgin birth, and some one who believes God uses sex to create children, can tell me their point of view and why they believe in it.

EDIT: I just wanted to say, all though I have tried this site out and I really don't know if I'll be coming back, I have gone through a lot of every one's posts, here. I have found a lot of thought provoking issues being brought up. Thanks for your views, some really good ideas have been expressed here. I wish you all well. Can you delete my user name, mods? I don't know what you do with inactive accounts.

I will be refreshing on this thread, because I honestly want to know the answer to my question. Thanks :)

Edited by Threeve

There is much speculation about this -- why? I don't know.

Cannonized Scripture say Mary was a Virgin -- end of story in my opinion.

As far as how spirit children are created, its never been revealed - having said that, there is a verse (quoted below) that says we were with God in the beginning and not created, so my speculation on the subject is that the process is more akin to adopton than birth - but again, thats my personal speculation and if I found I was wrong would be no big deal.

D&C 93:29 Man was also in the beginning with God. Intelligence, or the light of truth, was not ereated or made, neither indeed can be.

I believe in the virgin birth because that's what the scriptures say. There has been no clarification by prophets, so I will believe the scriptures as they are written.

What we need to look at did Joseph Smith change any of the wording? If it was wrong, wouldn't you think Joseph Smith would state it in a talk or in his journal? He would...

We can know how worlds are created, creation of spirits, and post-mortal life if you are mature enough to receive it and if it is beneficial for your salvation. ;).

Never assume what is not given to the masses is not given to those of Church of the First-Born.

Yes, I know it's not exactly doctrine, but it's a popular belief, and so is the virgin birth now days. Maybe some one who believes in the virgin birth, and some one who believes God uses sex to create children, can tell me their point of view and why they believe in it.

EDIT: I just wanted to say, all though I have tried this site out and I really don't know if I'll be coming back, I have gone through a lot of every one's posts, here. I have found a lot of thought provoking issues being brought up. Thanks for your views, some really good ideas have been expressed here. I wish you all well. Can you delete my user name, mods? I don't know what you do with inactive accounts.

I will be refreshing on this thread, because I honestly want to know the answer to my question. Thanks :)

If you want to have your account deleted just go to the "contact us" link at the bottom of each page and fill out the form.

Always, in searching for the truth, we must apply our questions like a prophet when we approach the Lord. He does answer them. But when, is always when He feels you are ready and deserving to hear it. Receiving an answer can be done and classic example is looking at a former boy prophet, Nephi, which apply the same method. Even you Theeve can do the same.

We can learn from the past members of the Kingdom how they approach the Lord on various topics and become knowledgeable in that area. From there, being prompted by the Spirit, we can then share those with others to help them to receive or prompt them to receive the same.

I hope all is well for you on your journey in this mortal life. God bless...