Uncomfortable with the priesthood

To be honest I have always struggled with the idea of being a Priesthoold holder. I have a hard time convincing myself I have any ability whatsoever to fulfill and perform many priesthood duties (performing blessings, etc). That said, I have faithfully taught in Priesthood nearly 7 years, have been a decent home teacher and am always working to improve in that area, and have even served in the presidency.

I want to "bring the blessings of the Priesthood" to my home, but I have no idea how to do it. I know how to be and have been a faithful member, but I don't understand what distinguishes being a good priesthood holder from being a faithful member.

I have always felt uncomfortable in priesthood meetings with other men. I feel as if I don't belong there. I try to bypass or give to others lessons on the priesthood (that I would normally be teaching) while in priesthood.

I just don't believe I have the ability in me in any capacity to heal the sick, bless others, etc through the use of ordinances, though I have been able to use my influence and commitment to the Gospel to help others.

I don't know - perhaps I just don't and have never had a good grasp on it all.

Perhaps there was a question in there somewhere.

I have a hard time convincing myself I have any ability whatsoever to fulfill and perform many priesthood duties (performing blessings, etc).

Really, you don’t. You don’t have the ability, its God that gave you this ability. Without it you couldn’t do it.

I want to "bring the blessings of the Priesthood" to my home, but I have no idea how to do it. I know how to be and have been a faithful member, but I don't understand what distinguishes being a good priesthood holder from being a faithful member.

For priesthood holders there isn’t a difference anymore. Once you hold the priesthood it is part of covenants you now live. The thing is the priesthood covenant goes along with the Baptismal covenant. So there isn’t going to be some new direction. Really it’s the same way of living with more responsibility.

You bring the blessings of the priesthood in your home by being the Father of your home. By calling on others to say prayers, by hold Family Home Evening, and when the time comes giving blessings, and baptizing others. I know in my family when I was younger each year that school started we would get a blessing from my Dad. Even more you bring the priesthood by showing respect for it in how you act.

I try to bypass or give to others lessons on the priesthood (that I would normally be teaching) while in priesthood.

I’m sure you know better than I do, that each lesson you teach you probably learn more about the subject then probably the class. (Your hope is that they at least got something from the lesson that you got from it). So don’t you think those lessons that you are passing up on, are really the ones you need the most?

I just don't believe I have the ability in me in any capacity to heal the sick, bless others, etc through the use of ordinances, though I have been able to use my influence and commitment to the Gospel to help others.

Like I said before, it’s not YOU that is doing this. God is trying to teach us to be Like HIM! He has a plan of Salvation for us to grow and learn. One part of that Plan is to see how Men do with Power! So God had to come up with some test, to see if we could understand how Priesthood and Faith work, because someday we are to gain all Power. So God gives us a small part of his power, and tries to see what are we going to do with it. You have to realize that you aren’t doing this, you are trying to do this for God. You are trying to share God’s power with others. (Or that is what God wants to see if we can do)

It takes Faith, because really the priesthood is God’s Faith. That is hard to figure out but think about it.

We can always learn more about the Gospel! May I suggest “A New Witness to the Articles of Faith” by Elder Bruce R. McConkie. As you can guess he takes the Articles of Faith and teaches us all he knows about it. The idea of Faith and Priesthood are so close together it’s hard to tell them apart.

I used to be you. The only solution you will find to this issue, is exercising your priesthood and learning firsthand that God makes up for your failings and lacks.

My first hometeaching assignment was to a very troubled house. The lady had severe mental issues. She would have blackouts, and wake up to find that she'd written on the walls with her own blood. Her 5 yr old kid had regressed back to diapers with the trauma of being around his mom.

She didn't know what to do, and asked for a blessing to tell her. My (much more experienced) companion immediately jumped at the chance to stick it to me: "Oh sure Sister X, I'll do the annointing!" - meaning I had to do the blessing. Yes, shaky, ignorant, newly active, freckle-faced me - with all my unresolved sin and obvious weaknesses.

Now seriously - exactly how many people would feel up to the task? Anyone here? Any one? Well, I set my sheer terror aside, and reminded myself that God promises to make up for my inadequacy. I was doing my part by putting my hands on her head and opening my mouth, what was going to come out of my mouth was God's problem. It was, to put it simply, a large leap of faith on my part.

Well, it worked. Words came out my mouth that I doubt anybody with any amount of earthly wisdom and training would have said. She got what she needed. The promises are true - the Gospel is real - God really does love and look out for His children.

You need an experience like that, Inter. And such experiences come as you serve your fellow man.

LM

Your problem isn't the priesthood. Its fear and self doubt. :) And on that count you aren't alone.

And this isn't really about gender or fitting in. How many times have I sat in RS and felt that I didn't belong? How many girls would say the same thing? SO many. And its all beside the point because God is a generous Father as shares His power with us or as he uses us to do greater things. It isn't so unlike my dad when he taught me to lay tile in the foyer of our house. He let me feel the weight of the tools and learn the texture of the mud and then he showed me how to lay it properly even though I was scared I would do it wrong not to mention the idea that girls didn't do that kinda thing.

God does the same thing. As we move forward with courage, we learn to trust God AND we learn to trust ourselves too as we learn balance between what is our power and what is His. I think that is where the miracle is. Its that place where we know we were able to do more with his power behind us. This is all the priesthood really is. It isn't about what it means to be a man or our talents. We can talk to God about how He wants to use us. We can trust the Spirit to direct. We do our part by staying obedient and in tune and living in faith. God does the rest.

Lean on Faith and trust when you doubt yourself or have fears. And don't let the stories your fears tell define you or decide God's limits.

It comes with practice and learning. My first couple of years or more were filled with self doubt and not a whole lot of faith. As I have matured, both physically and in the gospel, however, I have been able to develop that faith. I have had remarkable experiences, ofttimes when I myself didn't feel worthy of those experiences, in giving blessings to people. I have stated things there was no way I would know, but of course HF did know about that person and what they needed to hear.

It comes to everyone differently. My mind is a complete blank before I begin, but as I speak I speak what I am prompted to say, and sometimes there is silence for a while as I wait for the impressions. It may be different for you, but as you practice doing these things you will gain experience and you will learn how the Lord speaks to you and uses you to do his will.

May I suggest you ask your PH leaders (Bishop, EQP, etc) for help in this, and that you be given an opportunity to participate in blessings, even if you aren't the voice? It may help you in feeling that special spirit that accompanies a blessing.

It is okay to feel inadequate at first, or even after a long time (I still do from time to time). But with practice comes experience and great blessings.

It is weird - I never really questioned it before. I have been the voice of blessings for years and years without actually "seeing" results - I just always assumed whatever HF wanted to happen would and that I did my part. I also received blessings - feeling nothing in particular, but always just assumed HF was acting in my behalf even if I wasn't aware of it. I felt my unawareness of the results of either giving blessings or receiving them was somehow my problem/fault. Well I feel like I've just been deluding myself with regard to it all and feel that maybe I am doing something wrong to start with - but I have no idea. I've taken it to the Lord with no specific answer - and to PH leaders and all I seem to get are platitudes. I'm not ready to give up or anything, I just want to find some answers.

Guest NotTheHeavenlyFather

Hey, i'm just learning about mormonism... When you say you are a priest at the temple what does that mean? Is it modeled after the Jewish Temple where the priests job was to perform animal sacrifices? How are you a priest? What does it mean that you are a priest? Does it mean that you are more connected to God then other people? Why do you want to be a priest? What is it for? Maybe you would be happier if you donated some time to a homeless shelter or something like that? I hope this doesn't upset anyone, I just don't understand...

Hidden

Oh I donate time at several soup kitchens, homeless shelters, feed the homeless on the day after Thanksgiving and serve as a volunteer in Boy Scouts and I am a High Priest.

What volunteer service do you offer?

Ben Raines

WOW!!! You must be very proud of yourself!!!

To be honest I have always struggled with the idea of being a Priesthoold holder. I have a hard time convincing myself I have any ability whatsoever to fulfill and perform many priesthood duties (performing blessings, etc). That said, I have faithfully taught in Priesthood nearly 7 years, have been a decent home teacher and am always working to improve in that area, and have even served in the presidency.

I have always felt uncomfortable in priesthood meetings with other men. I feel as if I don't belong there. I try to bypass or give to others lessons on the priesthood (that I would normally be teaching) while in priesthood.

Perhaps there was a question in there somewhere.

Beside what is already given as to advise, do consider yourself a introvert?

Beside what is already given as to advise, do consider yourself a introvert?

Actually I'm quite the opposite. I am reserved at church generally, but I'm rather extroverted everywhere else.

My rational mind seems to be my greatest enemy at times - it certainly seems to be so when it comes to having faith. I think I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing, but I don't see anything specific happening. Maybe it is due to my lack of faith. I personally have never known anyone to do the kinds of miraculous works described in the scriptures - it doesn't mean they don't happen - only that I've never seen them.

Actually I'm quite the opposite. I am reserved at church generally, but I'm rather extroverted everywhere else.

My rational mind seems to be my greatest enemy at times - it certainly seems to be so when it comes to having faith. I think I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing, but I don't see anything specific happening. Maybe it is due to my lack of faith. I personally have never known anyone to do the kinds of miraculous works described in the scriptures - it doesn't mean they don't happen - only that I've never seen them.

In my humble opinion, I would pray earnestly for the gift of faith to exercise your priesthood. Seek and pray for the Spirit to be with you as you do so and live so as to allow that Spirit to be with you when you need it. Even if you don't see results right away, remember that everything is done on the Lord's timetable, and He doesn't need to show great outward manifestations to use priesthood power.

I think you are doing well in that you are trying to understand your dilemma and become better. Don't despair. I will keep you in my prayers.

You might also see if there is anything that has been said by prophets and apostles that may help, such as the recent general conference.

Wishing you the best in Christ,:)

~Tony

Believe me, it happens. Ive seen it too many times.

• 1 month later...
Guest mormonmusic

Hey, i'm just learning about mormonism... When you say you are a priest at the temple what does that mean? Is it modeled after the Jewish Temple where the priests job was to perform animal sacrifices? How are you a priest? What does it mean that you are a priest? Does it mean that you are more connected to God then other people? Why do you want to be a priest? What is it for? Maybe you would be happier if you donated some time to a homeless shelter or something like that? I hope this doesn't upset anyone, I just don't understand...

In our Church, boys receive the Priesthood when they are 12 provided they are living clean lives. At 12, they usually become a Deacon and can pass the sacrament. At 14, they become teachers and can prepare it and pass it. At 18 they can baptize others, and say the sacrament prayers. Teachers and Priests can visit members' homes and share messages/teach the gospel.

At 19, most men are considered to become Elders. Elders can give blessings of healing and comfort. They can also baptize AND confirm people members of the Church and bestow the Gift of the Holy Ghost. If someone serves faithfully for many years, they are often called to be High Priests, which is an office within the overall adult Priesthood.

Holding the Priesthood doesn't mean you're any better than anyone -- anyone can hold it provided they've been baptized and are worthy -- as determined by their answers to questions in an interview.

Regarding being a priest in the temple. We have two types of meeting houses -- day to day chapels anyone can go to for activities and Sunday meetings, and the Temple which is where people get married, and do other ordinances. Any comments about being a priest in the temple may center on going there to be part of baptisms, which are for people who have died, and receive baptism by proxy in case they want to accept it in the next life....

People who have become Elders or High Priests, and adult women will receive ordinances there, like an endowment, in which they make commitments to live a very clean life. There's more to it than that, but that's it in a nutshell.

In a way, this is based on Jewish tradition if you consider the various priesthood offices described in the New Testament that characterized the Primitive Church Christ set up while on the earth. Whether these priesthood offices/callings line up with any current Jewish practices, or Jewish practices since Christ's ministry is something I can't answer.

Edited by mormonmusic

• 2 weeks later...

I am an LDS member, have been since birth, I have also fallen from the church for 10 years. I came back to the church, married a wonderful woman, have several kids, and have the priesthood. Using the priesthood can often be scary, and overwhelming. I was scared to use it, and often wondered if I was worthy to use it, still do actually, but I started out by giving my family a Fathers Blessing. The spirit felt by giving my kids and wife a blessing of those things that I would want for them is likewise to our Heavenly Father wanting to give us Blessings. Giving a fathers blessing is a very emotional experience, and kinda puts you in our HF shoes... what do we want for our children, safe from harm, safe from sickness, or maybe just a light to those they meet. I am a firm believer that through putting ourselves in his shoes helps us understand and increases our Faith in the Powers that we have access to. We are our HF's hands, the tools which He uses to bless His children. As we bless our children through our hands, He blesses His children through his Priesthood holders :)

• 4 weeks later...

I used to be uncomfortable in my personal priesthood and then i was told once it was the deciever who put the doubt in my head and through an obediance to heavenly father that i could over come any doubt that lucifier had in store for me.

by just doing the basics---prayer, scriputre study attend church--that i would grow as a priesthood holder in leaps and bounds. this all was true and as you mature as a man and are obediant to the lord you will mature as a holy melchizedek priesthood holder. through this you will learn how to magnify your priesthood and it will become like somethign you never want to be without and you will be the Lord's servant.

• 5 years later...