LDS bridesmaid in a non-LDS wedding

cbriggs819

I am LDS and just found out this week my best friend from high school who is not LDS is getting married. She has asked me to be a bridesmaid and while I have not seen the bridesmaid dresses yet I am pretty positive they will not work with wearing garments. I really want to be a part of her wedding. So my dilemma is do I ask her to accommodate me on her day and make a changes to the dress or should I just not wear my garments for one day? Please help!

Thanks,

Cassie

I recommend you ask her to change the dress or depending on how the dress is designed you may be able to just get away with a shawl of some sort, or something of a similar concept. Push comes to shove you may have to tell her that you can't be a bridesmaid (if a solution can't be found) but you'd be delighted to attend as regular old guest.

If she considers you a close friend (and I would guess she does, since she asked you to be in your wedding) then she should be willing to accomodate you. I would discuss it with her. The dress itself doesn't have to be garment-worthy. If it's already long enough, then you can pair it with a matching shrug (if it comes with a matching wrap you can use the material to make one), or you can buy a shrug or cardigan in a neutral color to wear. With the Christmas season coming up lots of stores like Nordstroms will start selling very formal looking cardigans and shrugs that can be used to make a sleeveless dress more modest.

Or, if she doesn't want to have one bridesmaid who doesn't quiet look like the others, you could politely ask to not be in her bridal party, so that your covenants aren't violated, and so she'll have ample time to find a replacement.

I was married in a non lds church and had a couple of lds bridesmaids. I allowed all my bridesmaids to choose their own dresses. They all chose different styles in the same colour. My lds bridesmaids choose strapless or spagetthi straps for the one day. I told them I had no problem with them having sleeves, they made their choice.

Since she asked you to be in her wedding, she must like you a lot. I'm sure if you just talk to her about it and explain how important the garments are for you, she will understand and you can work something out. Having you there is probably more important to her than the dress.

Perhaps you could offer to alter the dress/pay for alterations yourself? I'm sure you can work something out. Just talk to her. :)

Good luck!

I am LDS and just found out this week my best friend from high school who is not LDS is getting married. She has asked me to be a bridesmaid and while I have not seen the bridesmaid dresses yet I am pretty positive they will not work with wearing garments. I really want to be a part of her wedding. So my dilemma is do I ask her to accommodate me on her day and make a changes to the dress or should I just not wear my garments for one day? Please help!

Thanks,

Cassie

Tell her the truth and where your garments. never comprimise what is right no matter what happens. We had a lds nephew get married a couple years ago in a catholic church; we had about five or six bridesmaids in the lineup whom were worthy members whom chose to wear appropriate dresses to accomidate there garments. I have never been so proud to be l.d.s!:)

My ex girlfriend went through this exact problem. The dress was too revealing around the shoulders and cleavage- she solved the problem with a shawl.

I'd have a frank discussion with her and explain the situation and try to come to a solution. Whatever you do, don't forego wearing garments just to be a bridesmaid.

well im goin gto go out on a limb here...I say skip the garment for a day

it is your friends special day it is about her not you and your special needs, most weddings the brides maids dresses match, don't ask her to make a change just for you that is selfish...

if you don't want to skip wearing them for a few hours don't be a brides maid the day will be stressful enough with out you being the only person not matching in the pictures...etc..etc...

I personally do not think that you will be hit by a bolt of lighting if you don't wear them for a few hours....but I have been wrong before....