Fasting and the Sacrament

pam

This question was asked on the Italian Forum and I thought interesting so thought I'd pose the question here as well.

We fast on fast Sunday. We attend our meetings and partake of the sacrament. While it's not eating a meal, it's still ingesting food and drink. Is that considered breaking the fast?

Your thoughts?

Yes.

Intention has to do with it also. Like the person who has diabetis, they must eat something during their fast every so ofter or they could put themselves in physical harm. Maybe some think if they had a little faith they wouldn't have to eat. I say if I had a little faith I could heal them. No difference.

The purpose to partake of the sacrament is not to feed a physical hunger or need, but a spiritual one.

That little morsel of bread is so delicious on fast Sunday. Alas, no, I do not think it breaks the fast because of intent. Similarly, some people can't fast without liquids, but that doesn't mean their fast isn't acceptable, or when children fast but only for one meal, or when those who can't fast still strive to dedicate their prayers to a cause and pay a fast offering (like when pregnant); I hope all are acceptable to the Lord.

Yes.

Intention has to do with it also. Like the person who has diabetis, they must eat something during their fast every so ofter or they could put themselves in physical harm. Maybe some think if they had a little faith they wouldn't have to eat. I say if I had a little faith I could heal them. No difference.

The purpose to partake of the sacrament is not to feed a physical hunger or need, but a spiritual one.

I have a friend who works a physically demanding job and has a medical condition (I'm not sure if it's diabetes or what), but he cannot go without food. So when he wants to fast, he begins with a prayer, then restricts his food to simple foods and water only. His attitude and intent is one of fasting and he closes his fast with a prayer.

Fasting is not going without (starving for) food and drink. And partaking of the sacrament is not eating the bread and drinking the water.

Perhaps, there are times it would be best not to do ether until one is ready and willing to do both - with all their heart, might, mind and strength.

The Traveler

we have a sister in our ward that provides homemade bread for our sacrament. It is quite substantial and has a sweetness to it....i always thank her for the sacrament "cake"....i agree with all the above and like to think of it this way....if the emblems symbolize and help us renew our baptismal covenants, would anyone not get baptized because they were fasting? maybe it's not the same, but i truly believe that in everything we do it matters where your heart is...or like said above it's about your intent.

I was talking to my bishop last Sunday, and I have always had a hard time fasting for some reason. He was telling me that although it is good to fast completely for 24 hours, if you forget and drink a glass of water or eat a piece of toast, that doesn't mean you're fast is over. You can say a prayer and continue your fast. Just thought I would add that in there.

From the Instatute Manual

“Fasting, with prayer as its companion, is designed to increase spirituality; to foster a spirit of devotion and love of God; to increase faith in the hearts of men, thus assuring divine favor; to encourage humility and contrition of soul; to aid in the acquirement of righteousness; to teach man his nothingness and dependence upon God; and to hasten those who properly comply with the law of fasting along the path to salvation” (McConkie, Mormon Doctrine, 276).

I always viewed the Sacrament on Fast sunday as the Bread of Life, or the living water tha Christ teaches us about. Taking the bread and water, for me has this kind of rush to your sense again. Putting into fouces what I'm really dependent on (the real bread and the living water).

Partaking of the Sacrament denotes the official end of the fast. Many people will continue to fast afterwards, which is not discouraged.

I do remember when I was little, being taught to start our fast the night before. Missing dinner, and then breakfast, so that when the Sacrament was passed that would be the official end to our fast.

This question was asked on the Italian Forum and I thought interesting so thought I'd pose the question here as well.

We fast on fast Sunday. We attend our meetings and partake of the sacrament. While it's not eating a meal, it's still ingesting food and drink. Is that considered breaking the fast?

Your thoughts?

You are still fasting...

We fast on fast Sunday. We attend our meetings and partake of the sacrament. While it's not eating a meal, it's still ingesting food and drink.

Of course it is eating a meal. That's the whole point of the sacrament -- it's a reenactment of Jesus' last supper with his disciples. It is only a token meal, but it is still a meal.

Is that considered breaking the fast?

Your thoughts?

Mamma mia. No, it is not breaking the spiritual ordinance of the fast, though strictly speaking is is breaking the physical ordeal of the fast. Fasting per se is of little value, unless it is accompanied by sincere prayer and used as a spiritual ordinance. Ma senza dubbio avete gia realizzato questo punto...