Your thoughts on Desiring multiple wives

jonathan.plumb

Jonathan,

I think the law of polygamy is another thing that is just outside our grasp right now, like the law of consecration. From this discussion it is obviously hard to understand and probably even harder to practice. My understanding is closest to what Maxel and beefche have said. Almost everything in the gospel is focused on bringing about the immortality and eternal life of man. If it is a practice that pushes that along than its good. I've had this discussion with my husband, many times. I think if your focus is on yourself, that you could enjoy the relationships with many partners, than that is wrong. If it is that you desire it because you want to raise more children under the covenant than that may be a good desire. You should ask yourself, how many children do you have now? How many more do you think you can handle as a father? ... and as a good father?

My husband makes a good living. We could, financially, take care of several more children than the 4 we have right now. But, we have prayed and decided together that we couldn't meet the spiritual demands of more children without taking away quality, testimony building, time with our 4 children as it is now. I have a girlfriend who has 12 children, her husband is in the stake presidency, a good man, but he would barely recognize his children if they had any more. And, she is a rare wonderwoman. If you think it is the wife alone that raises the children, that is wrong. I believe, especially in the society we live in, it would be very difficult for a man to have more than one wife and raise more righteous souls than a single wife could produce. I'm sure there are a few incredible people out there that could but I've never met them. Most of my friends wish they had more time with their children. It may be possible if the man didn't work or have other responsibilities or could incorporate time with the children with work, like on a farm maybe.

So, (you don't have to answer - just ask yourself) I am curious how many children you currently have and how many you think you could provide for both temporally and spiritually. ... And is that number more than one wife could provide? On top of that, there are many children that could benefit from a righteous environment already out there... I think 'octo-mom' has a few. Take on more children first before you even think about taking on more wives, then you will understand the limit of your desires. We all have to learn how to walk before we can run. At the moment, it makes me a little nauseous to think about worlds without number, So, I'll focus on the 4 I have.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No kidding. I'm fairly certain our Father in Heaven doesn't think of His daughters as mere baby-making biological parts. Maybe polygamy practiced the way it's intended is a way of making men more appreciative of the females of the species?

I was thinking about this subject this afternoon. We all know that Heavenly Father has a sense of humor, right? So, here's the catch...men may marry multiple wives, but the wives must be 60 yrs. of age and older. Also, men will not feel any sexual pleasure. :P

Polygamy is practiced near where I live. It is not of the LDS church, but it is a result of Joseph Smiths "revelation". The women in these relationships are often abused and battered. They are seperated from the community by their husband and are unable to get help. Most are poor and have little access to health care. The children are usually neglected, malnourished, abused and not educated.

No, I do not desire multiple wives. It is a sin.

Did I break a rule here monitors? My intention is to state my belief.

Women in monogamous relationships are also often abused and their children neglected. For that matter, some men are abused by their wives, physically as well as otherwise. Nobody has a monopoly, and probably not a majority, on abuse and neglect. That is part of the human condition resulting from .... whatever, maybe the Fall. We are poor, even though we do not practice polygamy. So a Calvinisitic view of the practice doesn't yield consistent results.

Women in monogamous relationships are also often abused and their children neglected. For that matter, some men are abused by their wives, physically as well as otherwise. Nobody has a monopoly, and probably not a majority, on abuse and neglect. That is part of the human condition resulting from .... whatever, maybe the Fall. We are poor, even though we do not practice polygamy. So a Calvinisitic view of the practice doesn't yield consistent results.

I live in Utah, I can say that families in polygamy are almost always abused in some way. It is ugly by every measure. I would say that these families in Utah and other states do have a monopoly or darn close to it. Your statement does not stand. You need to see it.

I live in Utah, I can say that families in polygamy are almost always abused in some way. It is ugly by every measure. I would say that these families in Utah and other states do have a monopoly or darn close to it. Your statement does not stand. You need to see it.

I don't believe it...I think you are making it up. Source?

I don't believe it...I think you are making it up. Source?

Is this for real? A day does not go by without a mention of this kind of abuse in the paper (Salt Lake City Tribune). Do you think that these families are healthy, nurturing families. These women and children live in real torment. Their pain is real. Their scars are also real. For you to deny it is an outrage. You want a source, just google it and give yourself a few weeks to go through it. I see them at church gatherings (those who have seperated from their former life) and also in town. Their self esteem is so low they won't give you eye contact. They hide in the shadows. These people are not LDS but they are a result of its history. I understand that. However, these people are real and they need our help. They need your help. I know your church is already helping. They know it is a problem. You should know that too.

I actually have a friend who came from one of the polygamous communities in Utah, she was abused, and she was raped while she was there. She grew up there but when she became an adult she eventually got out and now is living in Salt Lake with her current husband. I think she is currently pagan. I can't guarantee that all of the polygamous families in Utah are like that. But it is true that you do hear about a lot of abuse going on in those communities. And yes it is spoken of on the news and in the news papers. I no longer live in Utah, but I do remember talking to those that lived in those communities and hearing about the communities when I did live there.

Is this for real? A day does not go by without a mention of this kind of abuse in the paper (Salt Lake City Tribune). Do you think that these families are healthy, nurturing families. These women and children live in real torment. Their pain is real. Their scars are also real. For you to deny it is an outrage. You want a source, just google it and give yourself a few weeks to go through it. I see them at church gatherings (those who have seperated from their former life) and also in town. Their self esteem is so low they won't give you eye contact. They hide in the shadows. These people are not LDS but they are a result of its history. I understand that. However, these people are real and they need our help. They need your help. I know your church is already helping. They know it is a problem. You should know that too.

I don't know and neither do you and I doubt it is reported daily.

Desiring more than one wife? If we are allowed to be sealed to a new wife in the event that our current wife dies and be with both in the Eternities.....why not now? I am okay with it.

By the same token, if my eternal companion should die before me, God forbid, I may be sealed to another man?

As long as your not sealed to both...I guess.:huh:

So, that's not polygamy...if I'm not allowed to be sealed to two husbands, but you're allowed to be sealed to two or more wives.

Clearly, the early saints practiced polygamy. If we are to practice polygamy in the hereafter, that means that eventually, we'll all be sealed to one another!

So, that's not polygamy...if I'm not allowed to be sealed to two husbands, but you're allowed to be sealed to two or more wives.

Clearly, the early saints practiced polygamy. If we are to practice polygamy in the hereafter, that means that eventually, we'll all be sealed to one another!

Yes...clearly they did and on some level we still do......will women be sealed to more than one husband? Don't think that's part of the program. I haven't seen that in the biblical record or during the plural marriage years of the church. Can a woman be sealed to two different husbands after one is deceased? I guess.....but I think they can be with only one in the Eternities.

Yes...clearly they did and on some level we still do......will women be sealed to more than one husband? Don't think that's part of the program. I haven't seen that in the biblical record or during the plural marriage years of the church. Can a woman be sealed to two different husbands after one is deceased? I guess.....but I think they can be with only one in the Eternities.

I didn't think a woman could be sealed to two different husbands even if one is deceased.

I know that a former Bishop of mine who was killed in a motorcycle accident was sealed to his wife. She remarried a member but they couldn't be sealed in the temple because she was still sealed to her first husband.

Current practice is that a woman can only be sealed to one man, but a man may be sealed to more than one woman. I'm not exactly sure of the rule, but I believe that for the man to be sealed to multiple women the preceding female spouses must be deceased. I don't think a man can be sealed to more than one living woman, but I'm not positive on that.

Current practice is that a woman can only be sealed to one man, but a man may be sealed to more than one woman. I'm not exactly sure of the rule, but I believe that for the man to be sealed to multiple women the preceding female spouses must be deceased. I don't think a man can be sealed to more than one living woman, but I'm not positive on that.

I know a couple of brethren that are still sealed to there living ex-wives and also to there current wives......I :confused:think.

Edited by bytor2112

I have found two different sites that state that men can be sealed to two different women (if divorced). I just don't know how reliable those sites are. So I am still searching.