Civil Marriage Vs. Temple Marriage

Sunset

Pretty much I am a girl who is waiting for her missionary. (Yes, I am waiting the whole two years) and I am the only one in my family who is LDS. And my parents would never forgive me if they didn't get to see me walk down the aisle in a pretty white dress. (my mother has come right out and told me that she would not give her blessing if she didn't get to see me walk down the aisle) Yet I know that a temple marriage is extremely important. I was curious as to whether or not anyone knew if it was acceptable to have a temple marriage and then a civil marriage without having to wait before having the civil marriage. We have discussed having a civil marriage and then waiting the year to have our marriage sealed and we would prefer not to do that so if anyone has any ideas :idea: or knowledge on the subject, I would greatly appreciate the help!!!! :D

Thank you!!!!!

Sunset

Hi Sunset,

I would check out ldsweddings.com here:

http://www.ldsweddings.com/

It might give you some ideas. My nephew just recently got married and because both he and the bride had many non-member family and friends they had a "ring ceremony". They were able to fashion it in any way they wanted. I am non-LDS, so for me I found the ring ceremony wonderful. It includes everyone in the wedding, even members who are not able to go to the temple, like siblings. Check out this:

Rings

· You may exchange rings in the sealing room following the temple ceremony.

· Rings should not be exchanged in other rooms of the temple or on temple grounds.

· Ring ceremonies off temple grounds, especially for non-member family, is appropriate.

http://www.ldsweddings.com/articles/temple_guidelines.html

Ring Ceremonies

For couples with large groups of non-members attending, a ring ceremony is becoming the trend. You can make the exchange as personalized as you like…

http://www.ldsweddings.com/articles/sacred/sacred4.html

Talk things over with your bishop. Good luck!

M.

Hi sunset,

Maureen has given you some good advice. Most here will probably tell you to get married in the Temple, and forget about your parents.

I was married nearly 8 years ago in the Vernal Temple. At the time, my father was unable to attend, and we still choose to have a temple marriage.

I've never forgiven myself for it. If I could go back and have a civil ceremony, to be sealed a year later, I would do it. To marry without one's family present completely ignores the entire purpose of joining two families together with the general approval of all concerned.

Jason

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by Jason@Sep 13 2005, 10:58 PM

Hi sunset,

Maureen has given you some good advice.  Most here will probably tell you to get married in the Temple, and forget about your parents. 

Jason

Where do you come off speaking for anyone else? Personally I think the idea of having a ring ceremony is wonderful.

It would just depend upon those who were involved and how they felt about it all.

Originally posted by Sunset@Sep 13 2005, 05:26 PM

Pretty much I am a girl who is waiting for her missionary. (Yes, I am waiting the whole two years) and I am the only one in my family who is LDS. And my parents would never forgive me if they didn't get to see me walk down the aisle in a pretty white dress. (my mother has come right out and told me that she would not give her blessing if she didn't get to see me walk down the aisle) Yet I know that a temple marriage is extremely important. I was curious as to whether or not anyone knew if it was acceptable to have a temple marriage and then a civil marriage without having to wait before having the civil marriage. We have discussed having a civil marriage and then waiting the year to have our marriage sealed and we would prefer not to do that so if anyone has any ideas :idea: or knowledge on the subject, I would greatly appreciate the help!!!! :D

Thank you!!!!!

Sunset

Sunset,

I would check out Maureens advice.

I also waited for my missionary and 23 years ago were married in the Salt Lake Temple without my parents in attendance. My parents were inactive and when I spoke with my bishop we told me that a civil marriage was unnecessary and a mockery to the temple ceremony. When I discussed this with my parents they were very saddened that they could not see their only daughter marry. In hindsight I resent being told that then when now they they have softened their opinion in this matter. I wanted to be obedient to what the leaders of the church considered to be right. My parents were at the temple for pictures and they gave me a beautiful reception. They respected our decision to marry in the temple and have held my choice in marriage to the highest regard.

My advice do what ever you can to make your parents feels special and included in your very special day. They ring exchange could very easily be left out of the temple ceremony and not even be missed. :)

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by Strawberry Fields+Sep 14 2005, 07:22 AM-->

<!--QuoteBegin-Sunset@Sep 13 2005, 05:26 PM

Thank you!!!!!

Sunset

Sunset,

I would check out Maureens advice.

I also waited for my missionary and 23 years ago were married in the Salt Lake Temple without my parents in attendance. My parents were inactive and when I spoke with my bishop we told me that a civil marriage was unnecessary and a mockery to the temple ceremony. When I discussed this with my parents they were very saddened that they could not see their only daughter marry. In hindsight I resent being told that then when now they they have softened their opinion in this matter. I wanted to be obedient to what the leaders of the church considered to be right. My parents were at the temple for pictures and they gave me a beautiful reception. They respected our decision to marry in the temple and have held my choice in marriage to the highest regard.

My advice do what ever you can to make your parents feels special and included in your very special day. They ring exchange could very easily be left out of the temple ceremony and not even be missed. :)

Even if they did the ring ceremony twice it wouldn't kill anyone... after all most have to have two receptions if they marry someone out of state like I did.