OK, let's see if we can have a non-political discussion . . .

Just_A_Guy

Mutually Assured Destruction fueled much of my generation's teenage angst. It seems to have worked though, and I guess continues working today.

Here's something that should be bipartisan also: If you want to reach towards a world without nukes, a really good place to start is to keep things from getting worse. In other words, nonproliferation should be everybody's goal.

Right?

LM

about a Soviet "doomsday machine" that remains operational.

Whatever your politics, it's an awesome--and scary--bit of technology.

Many countries have "doomsday" possibilities {i didnt open yer link} but even the talk of nuclear disarmament is very good; its got to lead to something good even if not complete disarmament; it sure beats the heck out of everybody threatning each other all the time.:)

I do not believe it. The article is wrong and misleading in so many ways I do not know where to begin. From the article: “Ground-based sensors would detect that a devastating blow had been struck and a counterattack would be launched.” Such a concept is bad in so many ways from testing and implementation to maintenance not to mention practically and control. Think people – why have a doomsday device that no one knows about? It is far more likely that one would want everybody to think, as a bluff, that a doomsday device was operational.

The Traveler