A few thoughts on Halloween Costumes

Generally_Me

So, it is that time of year again. Anyone else noticing how much skin is showing on little girl costumes these days? :scared.scared: I googled "lady bug costume" 'cause my 3-YO wants to be a lady bug. I think we'll be making our own costume (fortunately it is an easy costume to make...probably do it just to save da monies).

I was just shocked at some of the pictures that popped up. Some were cute, and some were IMO not meant for a young child to wear. Others were not cute AND not modest.

Lady Bug Child Girl’s Costume

Ladybug Dress with Wings & Headband Child Costume

And, sorry, this one made me laugh; warm legs, cold thighs...Why not just make spotted pants?

Kids Ladybug Costume- Girls Ladybug Halloween Costumes

It's not like there aren't modest ones out there. I was able to find some, not perfect but something modest anyway. It's amazing; but maybe I'm just ultrasensitive as to how much is proper for a kid to wear. Living in chilly areas does that to a person you know.

Speaking of which, what do they expect kids to do in chilly parts of America? Wearing spaghetti straps in 45 degree weather is NOT COOL! It's cold. :D

Anyway. Was curious what everyone's planning for Halloween, making costumes, skipping it altogether, or buying a costume and making alterations. Or heck, have you found a warm and modest outfit for the kids and want to share...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I was thinking how cold I'd be if I wore those for Halloween.

I need an adult costume--a creative one. I'm sooo not a seamstress and I don't want to spend money. One year I went as a streaker on strike--I wore clothes and had signs that said "say no to skin!" Maybe I'll be a Christmas tree--brown pants, green top and battery powered lights wrapped around me.

Anyway. Was curious what everyone's planning for Halloween, making costumes, skipping it altogether, or buying a costume and making alterations. Or heck, have you found a warm and modest outfit for the kids and want to share...

The church refers to "Halloween" parties as pumpkin or fall festivals. The kids gather in the church parking lot for "trunk or treat".

One year I was a "devil in a blue dress". Blue dress came from DI, and I wore red devil horns and a red devil tail. Cost me all of about $12.

The only regretful choice I made for that costume was that I wore it with heels, but thankfully we only did our ward's Trunk or Treat that year, so it wasn't too bad. :lol:

For my kids we'll be reusing costumes this year. My 7 month old (will be 8 months by the time Halloween rolls around) will be wearing the Old Navy chicken costume his older siblings wore; my 3 year old will be re-wearing the Winnie the Pooh costume that he wore last year (that my 5 year old also wore twice); and my 5 year old will be wearing the Minnie Mouse costume we bought on 50% clearance at the Disney Store, November 1st last year. She COULD wear the dinosaur costume she wore last year, but she really wants to be Minnie Mouse, and the dinosaur should probably still fit next year.

Costco and Old Navy have lots of costumes that are modest and warm, as well as well made, so you can buy them a size larger and wear them two years in a row (if your kids will let you do that).

Wow, I was thinking how cold I'd be if I wore those for Halloween.

I need an adult costume--a creative one. I'm sooo not a seamstress and I don't want to spend money. One year I went as a streaker on strike--I wore clothes and had signs that said "say no to skin!" Maybe I'll be a Christmas tree--brown pants, green top and battery powered lights wrapped around me.

:D

Red Kissing Booth Adult Costume, Kissing Booth Adult Costume

The church refers to "Halloween" parties as pumpkin or fall festivals. The kids gather in the church parking lot for "trunk or treat".

Unfortunately, outside of Utah, not so common. Right now there's a very good chance our ward won't get to do a trunk or treat because we didn't reserve the building and the ward that did doesn't want to share... We straight up call it a Halloween party though, not a fall festival.

I guess it depends on the area. We still call it the ward Halloween party.

Unfortunately, outside of Utah, not so common. Right now there's a very good chance our ward won't get to do a trunk or treat because we didn't reserve the building and the ward that did doesn't want to share... We straight up call it a Halloween party though, not a fall festival.

That's too bad...if people knew what Halloween was really about, they wouldn't participate. ;)

Yeah, c'mon Pam. Let's see what the Church says before you get all mod-y:

You searched for halloween has returned 143 results in All Church Content.

Your search for "pumpkin festival" has returned 0 results in All Church Content.

Your search for "fall festival" has returned 0 results in All Church Content.

LDS.org - Search

I was always stressed at Halloween with costumes for my kids. At their school they would do this whole Halloween parade for the parents. So I would spend so much time putting a costume together. Hours...only to have them not be able to wear them because it would be freezing outside when it came time for trick or treating.

OK, question:

My mom (grew up LDS in the sixties) says she was taught, as a kid, that the Church frowns on wearing masks as part of Halloween costumes.

I'm reasonably certain there's a policy discouraging the use of masks in church buildings, but does this reflect some sort of doctrinal issue? Or is it just a pragmatic restriction?

I have pretty much dressed up for Halloween every year, even though, my trick-or-treat days are long gone. A week or so ago I went to the Halloween store and tried on a few costumes. I really wanted to be a Samurai but I felt it lacked.. I thought the 80's would be a fun theme to do but my coworkers said they didn't want to be reminded of the big hair and bad sense of fashion :Þ So at this point, not sure what I'll be wearing. But I am more and more considering in wearing a FULL body suit - just cos :]

Oh and regarding face masks, not sure where the Church stands on that but I know schools don't allow it. I also remember going to the cinema one year with some friends in Halloween outfits and at the ticket-booth there was a sign that read: No Masks..