A few thoughts on Halloween Costumes

Generally_Me

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a couple of friends who turned up at a ward party with white T-shirts with a giant "P" on each shirt; and they had heavy black eye make-up. They were, of course, black-eyed peas.

Had another friend (female) who arrived, took off her shoes and stuffed a pillow down her shirt--thus becoming barefoot and pregnant.

Is there any reason why these Halloween activities are not called Halloween activities? Have any wards considered the name Oktoberfest instead of autumn festival?

I like the idea of a Mormon Oktoberfest, bring on the apple beer!

As far as people shying away, you get people who are convinced the holiday is evil because of its origins. Strangely these people don't have a problem with having parties named after a certain holiday with pagan connections, what day is that one on again... oh, I remember, December 25th. :rolleyes:

Edited by Dravin

In the Philippines, November 1 is All Saint's Day and November 2 is All Soul's Day. Everybody goes to the cemetery on November 2. As far as I know, LDS members do it too. They have a giant party on the graves of their loved ones complete with fireworks and such.

I remember playing cards on top of my grandfather's tomb, putting heaps of food on platters on the tomb for my grandfather (nobody can eat it because it's my grandfather's portion).

My other grandfather died in World War II as a soldier so after the war, they exhumed his bones from the mass grave and moved it to the family plot - in a drawer. Every November 1, when we visit the cemetery, my grandmother would unlock the drawer and clean the bones.

So yeah, this costumes/candies thingee, meh. Nothing but a commerce ploy, methinks.

I was just wondering if Mexican Church members have been able to incorporate their Dia de los Muertos, with maybe a Temple going day of Baptisms for the Dead.

:huh:

I like the idea of a Mormon Oktoberfest, bring on the apple beer!

As far as people shying away, you get people who are convinced the holiday is evil because of its origins. Strangely these people don't have a problem with having parties named after a certain holiday with pagan connections, what day is that one on again... oh, I remember, December 25th. :rolleyes:

This time of year has always (Aprox. the last 40 years)

been a distressing time for me.:o

Including much of the Christmas stuff,:rolleyes:

:huh:

Still, unlike some of the people who feel spooky about this subject,

I feel free to celibrate the Lords coming into

His tabernacle of flesh anytime of the year I see fit. :cool:

Edited by JohnnyRudick
Afterthought;)