No good deed goes unpunished . . .

Just_A_Guy

The Department of Human Services received a complaint that Snyder was operating an illegal child care home. DHS contacted Snyder and told her to get licensed, stop watching her neighbors' kids, or face the consequences.

If that happened to me, I'd simply continue as normal, ignoring any repetitive correspondence, let them take me to court and watch how embarassed they get when the media get hold of the story, just like they have now. There is no way they could send her to prison after that, even if what she is doing is theoretically against the law.

Odd, I just this morning read a story about how the Brits told two women who were working part time and trading babysitting to work in the same place that they could no longer watch each others' kids in this arrangement. The government argued that since they were 'getting value' that they were violating daycare laws by not being licensed even though no money changed hands.

The bottom line is that the government wants full control of the children.

Most posters viewed this story as bureaucrats tripping over regulations, and lacking discernment and common sense. You seem to imply intentionality. What exactly do you think "the government" is wanting to do with children, and which parts of that rather large entity do you see as the main culprits??? :unsure:

I dunno. I gravitate towards a "textualist" reading of legislation, and I can't fault bureaucrats for doing the same. Personally, I'd rather have bureaucrats carrying out a law as-written--even if that law results in an obvious absurdity--than have bureaucrats pick and choose which laws they will enforced based on whether a particular law offends their personal prejudices.

Assuming that Michigan's laws are really written in such a way as to bar the practice: the state legislature caused the problem, and the state legislature should be the one to fix it.

Hidden

What a keen analysis. You know, pretty soon they will want to to change all these children's middle names to [deleted due to possible political reference - Mods]. Give them all swine-flu vaccines too!!! Maybe goat leggings as well.

y

;)

It might be worse than that....force them all to eat Green Jello.......:o:o:eek:

My simple point is that this recent incident was an absurdity, probably motivated by a bureaucrat more afraid of the consequences of not following policy to the letter, than of any bad press that would come from doing so. No conspiracies in this, just the same kind of rigidity that gets an elementary school kid suspended from school for dealing drugs because he shared his aspirin with his buddy. Zero tolerance and all that!

I dunno. I gravitate towards a "textualist" reading of legislation, and I can't fault bureaucrats for doing the same. Personally, I'd rather have bureaucrats carrying out a law as-written--even if that law results in an obvious absurdity--than have bureaucrats pick and choose which laws they will enforced based on whether a particular law offends their personal prejudices.

Assuming that Michigan's laws are really written in such a way as to bar the practice: the state legislature caused the problem, and the state legislature should be the one to fix it.

That kinda reminds me of the story about some cops telling some kids selling lemonade on a street corner that they got a complaint and so they've got to tell them to pack up or face consequences for operating without a business license. Don't know if the story is true mind you, but it illustrates the point, if the law says they can't let you do that you can't really blame the people who's job it is to enforce the law for doing their jobs.

Now if the law isn't written to encompass something like that then string up Mr. Redtape from the nearest liberty pole.

It was true, Dravin, I'll try to find the article.

Odd, I just this morning read a story about how the Brits told two women who were working part time and trading babysitting to work in the same place that they could no longer watch each others' kids in this arrangement. The government argued that since they were 'getting value' that they were violating daycare laws by not being licensed even though no money changed hands.

I found the link to the story, John Doe, here BBC NEWS | UK | Review of babysitting ban ordered

What kills me about this story is these are police officers they are penalizing! My sister and I shared babysitting for over a year, it's a great way to save money and make sure the kids are safely with people you trust.

It was true, Dravin, I'll try to find the article.

I found the link to the story, John Doe, here BBC NEWS | UK | Review of babysitting ban ordered

What kills me about this story is these are police officers they are penalizing! My sister and I shared babysitting for over a year, it's a great way to save money and make sure the kids are safely with people you trust.

Actually, the story I read was this one: Mothers are banned from looking after each other's children | Mail Online

It may be the same story, but by two different papers. It's sad that government feels the need to insert itself into every aspect of peoples' lives. I understand why daycares should be licensed, but are we going to have to license everyone who watches a child? What about babysitters? When are they going to start requiring a license to care for your own child? Or to even have a child?

(Edited by mods. Please don't annoy the mods with fake edits to make political points. It is still not allowed.)

There was no political point, it was merely a joke about new moderating guidlines. I will try to refrain from faux moderator comments, even for humor points. There was a poster named Tsuzki on another Mormon forum and I used to always laugh when he did it. Monkey see monkey do I suppose. Sorry. No good deed goes unpunished I guess.

:)

My simple point is that this recent incident was an absurdity, probably motivated by a bureaucrat more afraid of the consequences of not following policy to the letter, than of any bad press that would come from doing so. No conspiracies in this, just the same kind of rigidity that gets an elementary school kid suspended from school for dealing drugs because he shared his aspirin with his buddy. Zero tolerance and all that!

There is a huge problem within DES...the entire system is flawed. Abuse is commonplace.

Perhaps GOD should practice 'Zero Tolerance' on us then. ^_^

There was no political point, it was merely a joke about new moderating guidlines. I will try to refrain from faux moderator comments, even for humor points. There was a poster named Tsuzki on another Mormon forum and I used to always laugh when he did it. Monkey see monkey do I suppose. Sorry. No good deed goes unpunished I guess.

:)

If you have a problem with the mods then feel free to PM Pam.

In the UK we have the slang term "jobsworth" for someone (usually a minor official) who enforces regulations to the letter in defiance of common sense, stereotypically saying that it's "more than his job's worth" not to.

A similar, slightly more offensive term is "little Hitler".

In the UK we have the slang term "jobsworth" for someone (usually a minor official) who enforces regulations to the letter in defiance of common sense, stereotypically saying that it's "more than his job's worth" not to.

A similar, slightly more offensive term is "little Hitler".

Here in the states, we call them government employee's. And no, it is not a compliment (of coarse I'm not talking about PC who is an employee of the government but not a "government employee". Settle, but different).