Elder Jeffrey Holland--PM session Sunday

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This talk in officially in my top three favorites! I love the BofM and always have. I loved his boldness and clarity and I felt fed and expanded by it. I loved his evaluation of Joseph's and Hyrum's final state of mind as they sacrificed all for this BofM and what it meant for the church and the world. And I loved his answer to all the critics.

Elder Holland's talk on the Divine Authenticity of the Book of Mormon was an extremely powerful message. I found myself wanting to shout AMEN!! all the way through the message. He did not leave room for doubt in anyone's mind as to his personal testimony not only of the Book of Mormon, but of the Prophet Joseph Smith as well. I have personally read the Book of Mormon 8 times in its entirety now and each time I read it my testimony grows stronger and stronger of its Divine Authenticity. This is definitely a message that I will refer back to from time to time and plan to encourage the members of the High Priest Group to keep a copy of this message available.

really? naming names of specific anti's, calling them pathetic, deranged paranoid!!??? you don't often hear that kind of language and name calling from a GA at GC.

Maybe I missed the names of specific anti's... What I heard was him referring to people who's writtings have been used by Anti's, such as Spaulding (who, if I remember correctly, wrote a book that many anti's believe Joseph Smith used as "inspiration" for the BoM, although it's not known if Spaulding himself ever knew anything of Joseph), and then referred to such theories and "critiques" as ranging on a scale from paranoia to intellectual, but all false.

So, from what I heard, it was the theories he was criticizing with his rather blunt language, not the people who thought them up.

He did use those words but I didn't sense anger.

He really shook the ground with that one, wow!!!! Reminded me of years gone by when the Apostle's would pound the pulpit.

Do you think for the most part their messages are messages of tenderness and love now days and in the past they were more forceful and direct? If so why?

_

Do you think they saved this (and the other) Sunday PM talks for all those non-stalwart just get in the last session members who only watch the Sunday PM talks?

Interesting point. I know I was sitting there thinking man I sure wish so and so could hear this talk. Those who knew it was true and have drifted away. Sunday pm session is the time to maybe catch a few surfing the channels.

I really loveed it. I thought of Elder Mcconkie's last address and then I thought is he dying? Then he said nope not planning of going anywhere. LOL Anyway I loved it totally! I love this kind of talk unless it aimed at me. This time I'm right with him!!! I LOVE THE BOM TOO Elder Holland!

Marty

I just listened to his talk again. Towards the end when he says

I want it absolutely clear; when I stand before the judgment bar of God, that I declared to the world in the most straightforward language I can summon, that the Book of Mormon is true.

Righteous indignation? I think not. I think he did exactly what he needed and wanted to do before he stands before the judgment bar of God.

Edited by pam

I really appreciated the straightforward boldness. Like some, it made me want to get up and cheer. It just made my heart soar.

Tad R. Callister of the Seventy used similar boldness, i thought, when he spoke in the Saturday afternoon session. He spoke of the restoration and of Heavenly Father and Christ as two separate beings. Really awesome!

really? naming names of specific anti's, calling them pathetic, deranged paranoid!!??? you don't often hear that kind of language and name calling from a GA at GC.

I totally agree 100% He was very angry and not typical friendly Elder Holland at all. He has done such an incredible job of reaching out to all sort of people, of making them feel welcome, and then he comes off with this talk of anger and hatred.

I am surprised to have ever heard the words "pathetic", "deranged", "paranoid" spoken at GC and I wonder if the muster of the talk will be carried through to the print version. I think he just solidified justification of the true and 100% believers in the divinity of the BOM, but for those people who are struggling or questioning, he just alienated them. The anger of this talk in the DAMU tonight is extreme.

Guest Godless

My curiosity has been peaked by all of the discussion Holland's talk here, on Facebook, and in my email inbox. I listened to it and it didn't seem angry at all. Blunt and passionate, sure, but not angry. I found his critique of those who leave the Church to be a bit disconcerting (for obvious reasons), but I didn't sense any anger. He was merely speaking about something for which he has strong feelings. I think the strong words he used reflect his passion for the BoM, not anger or "righteous indignation" towards those who reject it.

but for those people who are struggling or questioning,

I don't even think his remarks were directed at those people. I think he was talking about those that work to tear the Book of Mormon down. Those that make it there agenda to do so.

We are getting closer and closer to the 2nd coming of Christ. Perhaps now is a time to be direct and quit sugar coating things.

Hidden

Until 5 minutes ago I had no idea who Elder Holland was, but I've done a bit of web searching. Is this what you're talking about?

You are well aware of the Harry Potter books and movies by J. K. Rowling. One of the reasons the books are so popular, I think, is that they show children victorious in battle against dark forces. They give readers hope that, even in total darkness, there is that spark of light. Despite the powerful evil arrayed against them, they know they can defeat the darkness.

But fundamental to the message of the Harry Potter books is the idea that children don’t — indeed, can’t — fight their battles alone. In fact, the one gift that saves Harry over and over again is the love of his mother, who died protecting him from evil. Without any question one of those best “defenses against the dark arts” — to use a phrase from the Harry Potter books — is close family ties. Parental love, family activity, gentle teaching, and respectful conversation — sweet time together — can help keep the generations close and build bonds that will never be broken.

Mormons & Harry Potter