Importance of the BoM?

hordak

In Elders Hollands talk he was pretty adamant about the importance of the Book of Mormon. I can understand how faith in the book leads to faith in Joseph Smith leads to faith in the restoration etc. etc.

It's been a while since i have read(get bogged down in 2nd Nephi) it so i'm trying to remember what extra does it teach that is not in the Bible? Most of the things (that i can think of) that set the Church apart from other Christian denominations come from Revelation,I.E. King Follett discourse, WoW etc.

So aside from supporting the restoration what teachings are unique to the the Book of Mormon?

looking for cliff notes:)

the Book of Mormon teaches a better understanding of Christ's atonement and resurrection.

It teaches us about continuing revelation and miracles. The power of faith and hope and charity.

It teaches the key points of the temple endowment (found throughout the book's teachings: 1 Ne 1, 1 Ne 11-15, Mosiah 2-5, Alma 9-13, 3 Ne 11-27, Ether 3, etc.

I could go on, but these should suffice for now.

:) There are no cliffnotes to gaining what the BofM has to offer. The book is designed to literally bring people to Christ and help them become perfected in Him. Perhaps part of that is gaining an understanding of the missing puzzle pieces. I can't really begin to explain all the ways the BofM has effected my life, not that explaining it would help you gain it for yourself.

So, instead of answering your question, I am enthusiastically inviting you find out the answer for yourself. If you are stuck in 2 Nephi....maybe just skip it for now and start at the next book. Jacob was a pretty cool dude! Among others. Go learn about Gideon and Teancum and Helaman and all the other Nephi's. :)

the Book of Mormon teaches a better understanding of Christ's atonement and resurrection.

It teaches us about continuing revelation and miracles. The power of faith and hope and charity.

It teaches the key points of the temple endowment (found throughout the book's teachings: 1 Ne 1, 1 Ne 11-15, Mosiah 2-5, Alma 9-13, 3 Ne 11-27, Ether 3, etc.

I could go on, but these should suffice for now.

Interesting . The Ether 3 physical body stands out. Looking for more specifics like that. Unique teachings that wouldn't exist without the BoM.

Some doctrines unique to (OR clarified in) the Book of Mormon (off the top of my head):

-Sometimes it's okay to take another person's life. This includes soldiers killing enemy combatants in wartime and when the Lord Himself commands it.

-The Lord does not forget anyone who exercises faith in His name, and has had dispensations on the earth that aren't recorded anywhere else.

-The state of the soul of a man after he dies (what happens to it). Also, John the Beloved and the Three Nephites are still on the earth, and will be until the Second Coming. They are working to bring souls to Christ.

-The tactics employed by anti-Christs and enemies of law and order- including the reality of secret combinations and how the operate.

-Numerous historical accounts not recorded anywhere else (Lehi's exodus to the Americas, the existence of the Mulekites, Jared and his brother crossing the sea after the fall of the Tower of Babel, Christ's appearance to the Nephites, etc.).

All these are basic doctrines. Much more is gained by delving and searching the Book of Mormon.

Also, part of the reason the Book of Mormon is the keystone of our religion is its nature and origin. It simultaneously declares to the world that God is not dead nor silent, and that Joseph Smith was Christ's chosen prophet to bring forth His word in the latter days. The numerous miraculous events surrounding the coming forth of the Book of Mormon are all testaments to God's existence and nature.

I highly suggest you pick up the Book of Mormon again, hordak! If 2 Nephi is giving you problems, skip the Isaiah chapters (or the whole thing, if you must) and read on from there. In these last days, "treasuring up the word of the Lord" will be crucial to surviving the spiritual crises and cataclysms that are sure to come.

Hey! You closed my thread and mine was first. :(

It teaches how to handle baptism, whether it's required, and how infants fit in the forumla.

And, what wonderful stories of faith! I don't even know where to begin a list.

Yes, Hordak, skip right to Alma and start there! Alma is the greatest book in scripture (IMO).

"It is the keystone in our witness of Christ. It is the keystone of our doctrine. It is the keystone of testimony.

The Book of Mormon is the keystone in our witness of Jesus Christ, who is Himself the cornerstone of everything we do. It bears witness of His reality with power and clarity. Unlike the Bible, which passed through generations of copyists, translators, and corrupt religionists who tampered with the text, the Book of Mormon came from writer to reader in just one inspired step of translation. Therefore its testimony of the Master is clear, undiluted, and full of power.

But it does even more. Much of the Christian world today rejects the divinity of the Savior. They question His miraculous birth, His perfect life, and the reality of His glorious resurrection. The Book of Mormon teaches in plain and unmistakable terms about the truth of all of those. It also provides the most complete explanation of the doctrine fo the Atonement. Truly this divinely inspired book is a keystone in bearing witness to the world that Jesus is the Christ (see Book of Mormon Title Page).

The Book of Mormon is also the keystone of the doctrine of the Resurrection. As mentioned before, the Lord Himself has stated that the Book of Mormon contains the “fullness of the gospel of Jesus Christ” (D&C 20:9)." From the Teachings of Ezra Taft Benson

The Book of Mormon is also an essential key to qualify for entry into the Celestial Kingdom:

""No member of this Church can stand approved in the presence of God who has not seriously and carefully read the Book of Mormon." Ezra Taft Benson

Edited by GnatStrainer
Append final paragraph containing ultimatum on reading the Book of Mormon

For me, the BOM speaks more clearly of the 'why' we are here and not just 'what' to do. It lays out the 'why is there are redeemer' (as stated by many already) and not just that there is a redeemer. 2 Nephi chapter 2 explains the reasons for free agency and opposition, and pain and suffering more than I think the Bible does. In fact, I think there are a lot of people that turn away from the truth because of that, they say to themselves, "How can there be a God if there is so much suffering in this world?" Well, the BOM explains that. It puts a perspective on this life that is different, the premortal life and the life after death. Most that have just the Bible don't believe in a premortal existence.

I like what Pres. Kimball said; “If we looked at mortality as the whole of existence, then pain, sorrow, failure, and short life would be calamity. But if we look upon life as an eternal thing stretching far into the premortal past and on into the eternal post-death future, then all happenings may be put in proper perspective”

If 2 Nephi is giving you problems, skip the Isaiah chapters (or the whole thing, if you must) and read on from there.

Just wanted to add a second encouragement to this. The book is so important and the experience so powerful. I'll be honest: The Isaiah chapters in 2 Nephi, to me, are the very hardest chapters in all of the book. Skipped them when reading through tbe book a year ago, but the book still changed my life radically (as it did every time so far).

It teaches plainly the Doctrine of Christ. The doctrines of the pre mortal life. The doctrines of Spirit prison and paradise. The doctrines of the Fall, Atonement and Resurrection.

Yes these doctrines are also in the Bible. But the clarity, plainness, and power that the Book of Mormon teaches them is unequaled.

It's a testament that Jesus Christ lives. And in this day of people falling away and attacking Christ, it reenforces the truth of the Bible. And that is something we desperately need.

I love my sons' Book of Mormon stories book. It's a picture book telling some stories out of the BofM like Nephi's travel across the ocean, etc. I served in Primary and I've used the book for "story telling time" to the 3 and 4-year-olds.

Importance of the BoM?

The importance of the BoM was not always so evident. It, the content, was not too important in the early church. That it existed was more important than the content. Early Church leaders and teachings relied more heavily on the Bible than the BoM. As late as the turn of the century (the last one, not the current one) there were General Authorities that had not even read the BoM. Hugh Nibley has(d) taken the BoM seriously longer than the Church has - and is some ways led the way in installing it into it's current status in the Church.