Bednar, hypocrites??

Yes that was great. My wife once said after a sister got up and said how much she loved her husband and how awesome it is that he honors his priesthood. I asked her once why she never said that stuff about me during her testimony and she said, it's not an appropriate time or place. So I looked inward at why I asked and I came to the conclusion that I was looking for worldly praise. It was an eye opening moment.

• 2 weeks later...

I, too, loved Elder Bednar's talk, but I think it's worth pointing out that mere inconsistency is not the same as hypocrisy. For example, the smoker who tells his child not to smoke is not being hypocritical; he is being a concerned and loving parent as best he can.

The essence of hypocrisy is the desire to deceive. The Lord's harshest rebukes were for the hypocrites among the Jews who, like whited sepulchers, were beautiful to behold but full of dead men's bones. Note that no such condemnation was issued (publicly, at least) toward prostitutes, various adulterers, and many others who were very clearly not living up to the law of Moses. Certainly they were sinners, and certainly they stood in dire need of repentence. Their behavior was highly inconsistent with the covenant they were under. But they were not seeking to hide their ugliness beneath a veneer of social respectability and pretended virtues; thus, they were not hypocrites.

I, too, loved Elder Bednar's talk, but I think it's worth pointing out that mere inconsistency is not the same as hypocrisy. For example, the smoker who tells his child not to smoke is not being hypocritical; he is being a concerned and loving parent as best he can.

The essence of hypocrisy is the desire to deceive. The Lord's harshest rebukes were for the hypocrites among the Jews who, like whited sepulchers, were beautiful to behold but full of dead men's bones. Note that no such condemnation was issued (publicly, at least) toward prostitutes, various adulterers, and many others who were very clearly not living up to the law of Moses. Certainly they were sinners, and certainly they stood in dire need of repentence. Their behavior was highly inconsistent with the covenant they were under. But they were not seeking to hide their ugliness beneath a veneer of social respectability and pretended virtues; thus, they were not hypocrites.

This is a great point. I've been pondering upon this for some time now. I know someone who works at the church office building who really is on the edge of apostasy because of his feelings about those who work there. I don't get this at all.

Edited by martybess

I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." The materialism of affluent Christian countries appears to contradict the claims of Jesus Christ that says it's not possible to worship both Mammon and God at the same time.

Author: Mohandas Ghandi,

N Eldon Tanner Conference 1970

Well-being of our neighbors

How many of us keep the Word of Wisdom strictly, but are most intemperate in our prejudices and condemnations of others? Are there any of us who, as businessmen, are meticulously polite and most regular in church attendance and yet accept glaring inequalities in the social structure, and who may be unfair or dishonest in dealing with our neighbor?

Are we truly interested in and concerned with the well-being of our neighbors? Do we visit the widows and fatherless, and feed, clothe, and comfort the poor and needy? The prophet Alma in his day "saw great inequality among the people, some lifting themselves up with their pride, despising others, turning their backs upon the needy and the naked and those who were hungry, and those who were athirst, and those who were sick and afflicted."

We read: "Now this was a great cause for lamentations among the people, while others were ... succoring those who stood in need of their succor, such as imparting their substance to the poor and the needy, feeding the hungry...." (Al. 4:12-13.)

Church attendance

Too often we excuse ourselves from religious activity, which includes both showing love for our neighbors and regular church attendance, by comparing our activities with those of others, and by saying we are doing just as much as they, or we are no worse than they. Some say: "I don't go to church because I don't want to be a hypocrite, as he is. I can be religious without going to church. I can worship God on the lake or in the mountains, communing with nature."

Hear what the Lord has said:

"And that thou mayest more fully keep thyself unspotted from the world, thou shalt go to the house of prayer and offer up thy sacraments upon my holy day;

"For verily this is a day appointed unto you to rest from your labors, and to pay thy devotions unto the Most High;

"Nevertheless thy vows shall be offered up in righteousness on all days and at all times." (D&C 59:9-11.)

We cannot choose which part of the gospel we think is true or which part we should live. We cannot compartmentalize our lives. As the Savior said: "... these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone." (Matt. 23:23.) We must be Christians in very deed, and by our lives show our love for the Lord, our God, and show love for and be interested in one another. We, you and I, must put our personal houses in order. We must not be hypocrites.

Two kinds of hypocrisy

Harry Emerson Fosdick observed that there are two kinds of hypocrisy: when we try to appear better than we are, and when we let ourselves appear worse than we are. We have been speaking of the kind of hypocrisy where people pretend to be more or better than they are. Too often, however, we see members of the Church who in their hearts know and believe, but through fear of public opinion fail to stand up and be counted. This kind of hypocrisy is as serious as the other; it makes it difficult for others to respect us, and often adversely affects or influences the lives of other members of the Church who expect us to stand by our commitments to the Church and not hesitate to manifest our faith.

Only when we are seriously striving to live the teachings of Christ can we make any real spiritual progress. We must not fear, wherever we are, to live up to our convictions and to the standards of the Church. People, though they may criticize and ridicule, expect us to and respect us if we do. Living high standards cannot offend conscientious, fair-minded people.

Importance of standing firm

It is most important that we as members of the Church stand firmly and unitedly in the cause of truth and righteousness. We have declared to the world that we have the gospel of Christ, that we are going to stand against vice. Shall we stand firm, or shall we waver and be driven by the wind and tossed? Shall we forsake the cause of righteousness in order to please men, because we desire to give lip service rather than heart service, or because of some political power that is brought to bear upon us?

We must not be like those to whom John referred when he said: "Nevertheless among the chief rulers also many believed on him; but because of the Pharisees they did not confess him, ...

"For they loved the praise of men more than the praise of God." (John 12:42-43.)

Let us listen to the prophets and live by their words. Let us not be guilty, as were the scribes and Pharisees of old, of increasing the agony of our Savior by rejecting him and his teachings, which he gave to us, together with his life, that we might have happiness here and eternal life hereafter. Let us not find ourselves in the condition which he describes as he concludes his chastisement of the hypocrites:

"Behold, your house is left unto you desolate.

"For I say unto you, Ye shall not see me henceforth, till ye shall say, Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord." (Matt. 23:38-39.)

-Marty

Edited by martybess

• 6 months later...

Two thoughts about this:

1. Sometimes I believe the very process of becoming Christian is to accept a degree of hypocrisy because there will always be a gap between what is commanded and what is practiced.

2. Often I have heard criticism from atheists about this fact and have marveled at such a lack of intellectual rigor. Normally intelligent people will 'toss out the baby with the bathwater', that is, will paint all Christian religion as false because the people who practice it are not perfect.

In the end, I believe they move to this pattern of thought to justify their own sinful behavior. After all, if there are no standards [to live up to] then there are no consequences for their doing 'whatever they want'.

Yes it was Bednar.

“Consistency is a key principle”…..”many of the saviors harshest rebukes were directed to hypocrites.”…”the hypocrisy in our lives is readily discerned. “

Wow he is forceful when he says it and how true it is!!! I have much work to do. :(

Yes! Between Apostle Bednar and Apostle Holland, we have our wonderful rebukers of our days. :D

My husband once said the moment we get baptised we become hypocrites, I guess its to what level and how intentionally we take it. I have sat and watched a man who couldn't keep his hands off other women extol how much he loved his wife and family, I would watch his wife who knew he was doing it say how wonderful he was. And I have recently watch a Branch President tell lies and spread gossip to save his own neck. These actions destroy the spirit during testimony meeting

• 3 months later...
Guest mormonmusic
Hidden

Two thoughts about this:

2. Often I have heard criticism from atheists about this fact and have marveled at such a lack of intellectual rigor. Normally intelligent people will 'toss out the baby with the bathwater', that is, will paint all Christian religion as false because the people who practice it are not perfect.

In the end, I believe they move to this pattern of thought to justify their own sinful behavior. After all, if there are no standards [to live up to] then there are no consequences for their doing 'whatever they want'.

I was going to say this. I had to live with some people who were non-religious and kept criticizing us as Mormons. Underlying it all was the attitude that all religious people are hypocrites.

I eventually made the comment that people who have no religious values have it cozy -- they have no espoused values that all are aware of, so no one can judge. They can do whatever they please without public criticism because they haven't indicated what their standards are.

I commented that most of the time, I'm just trying to live my own standards without falling short. At least I'm trying to live a better life, I say...