Sealings, and Polygamy

bighoyter

I have some questions and I was searching the internet for some answers and I came across this site and so I thought I would ask here since I can't find what i'm looking for.

First, I have heard there will be polygamy in heaven. Is this true? Does anybody have a source of info that talks about it? If it is true, how is it supposed to be the "plan of happiness" if women have to share their husband for eternity?

Second, how exactly do sealings work? Why can a woman only be sealed to one man, but a man can be sealed to more than one woman? Also, if temple marriage is required to obtain the celestial kingdom, does that mean marriage is required in this life, or can it be obtained in the next?

Thanks for your help. If you have any sources from apostles or prophets that would help a lot too.

D&C 132: 15-16, D&C 49: 15, D&C 131: 2.

Read these references. It is plain about marriage in this life. I haven't ever read anything regarding polygamy. But when I have had similar questions, the best answer I have received is that we need to have faith in a perfect and loving Heavenly Father. He would not force us to live eternity in an arrangement that brings us unhappiness. He wants us to be happy as He is. It may be helpful for you to study in the scriptures about the nature of God so that you can know for yourself and trust in His plan that He does want what is best for all of His children!

It's a tough subject, but I agree with silvermoon in that God is a loving, caring Heavenly Father who has created the Plan of Happiness for just that reason - so we can be happy. I have a hard time thinking about polygamy; it really churns my stomach up. But if there's one thing I know, it's that God loves me and it'll all work out somehow. That's a trite thing to say, I know, but after stressing about it for ages, it's brought me some peace. I expect there will be far fewer polygamous marriages in heaven than everyone imagines, anyway.

I would suggest that none of us REALLY know what we will be like if and when we receive an inheritance in the realms of the Celestial Kingdom. Our concept and understanding of love is SO imperfect and incomplete. So imagining living a principle that will involve a higher, god-like love is pointless.

Yes, their will be plural marriage in the Celestial Realm. Men including living Apostles have been sealed to more than one woman....after the death of their previous wife. Do you not think that Heavenly Father is going to honor the Sealings done in the past. Of course he will....those who are worthy will live in Eternal Families with their wives that qualify.

Edited by bytor2112

I have some questions and I was searching the internet for some answers and I came across this site and so I thought I would ask here since I can't find what i'm looking for.

First, I have heard there will be polygamy in heaven. Is this true? Does anybody have a source of info that talks about it? If it is true, how is it supposed to be the "plan of happiness" if women have to share their husband for eternity?

There will be at least for some. Many people have been married to another woman after the first wife died. Why would it not be happiness if women have to share a spouse.

Second, how exactly do sealings work? Why can a woman only be sealed to one man, but a man can be sealed to more than one woman? Also, if temple marriage is required to obtain the celestial kingdom, does that mean marriage is required in this life, or can it be obtained in the next?

I'll finish tomorrow. I have take care of the baby.

Thanks for your help. If you have any sources from apostles or prophets that would help a lot too.

FWIW, saying "there will be polygamy in heaven" is not the same as saying "everyone will have to live polygamy in heaven".

As to "how do sealings work", the best sources you have on that are D&C 132, the text of the sealing ceremony itself, and (very probably) your own patriarchal blessing.

I wouldn't claim to know why polygyny is acceptable but polyandry is not; though if the purpose of polygamy is to raise up seed then we should probably note that (at least in this life) polyandry does nothing in furtherance of that goal.

Those who have an opportunity to receive a temple marriage to a suitable partner during this life are expected to take it. For those who don't have such an opportunity, it won't be held against them.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

john doe- I am born, raised, and still active in the LDS church. Not sure how else to answer that question.

deseretgov-I was just thinking that I personally would not want to share a spouse. Maybe it would be different in a celestial setting, but just thinking about it now I wouldn't want it that way.

What about sealings? Can anybody answer those questions?

Thank you for the replies so far.

Second, how exactly do sealings work?

Sealings are like a link in a chain. They bind you to another person. A Child is sealed(linked) to their parents. A Husband and wife aresealed(linked) together. It's not really anything more than that. Everyone must be linked back through the generations to Adam and then to Heavenly Father.

Why can a woman only be sealed to one man, but a man can be sealed to more than one woman?

There actually have been cases of women being sealed tomore than one husband but it is VERY rare. Generally I look at it this way. It's like a business. There can only be one President of the company. But there can be many Vice Presidents. You may think my comparing women to vice-presidents is demeaning but it's not. It is simply different roles. In a business the fact someone is a Vice-President doesn't mean they are less of a person than the president. A President and Vice-President have equal value as human beings. They just have different roles within the organization.

Also, if temple marriage is required to obtain the celestial kingdom, does that mean marriage is required in this life, or can it be obtained in the next?

A person must be sealed/married to their spouse in this life. People will not be able to be married after the Final Judgement. But there will be one thousand years after the second coming to get tons of sealings done. And those in the Spirit World can only be sealed through proxy.

Do you know about the sealing process for those types of marriages? Were they sealed to each person? Or was just the first marriage sealed?

I'm not sure. But I think the woman was sealed to the husband just like in normalmarriage. Only the Husband could do the same with more than one woman. I doubt the women were sealed together. It was probably don in the temple too. Don't quote me on that it's just my guess.

Edited by deseretgov

Maybe Celestial Men don't have as much to do as the Celestial Women? Ohhhh I need sleep before I go off an a whole funny tangent about the trials and tribulations of eternal couples :lol: