Is modesty out of style?

Gretchen

Modesty will never be out of style among the people of God! Modest girls are the hottes girls! (Really, that's true- it's not just a dumb statement.)

Okay, I think that covers all that I have to contribute to this thread... :D

Considering that modest clothing generally means more cloth that kinda goes without saying. I'm warmer in a jeans and t-shirt than just a pair of swim trunks. :P

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I disagree. You assume all prostitutes wear mini skirts. Not round here they dont. They wear jeans and puffa jackets, hoop earrings and hair scraped back in a ponytail. A short skirt can look elegant if worn in the right way. I think its a little extreme and naive to assume short skirts=prostitute.

Well, when the girl wearing the mini is 5'2 (157.48 centimeters), and about 150 lbs (68.038 855 5 kilograms), it does NOT look good. Sorry, but that's my opinion.

I like the church's stance on the law of chastity:

Satan attacks the standards of modesty. He wants us to believe that because the human body is beautiful, it is something to flaunt and expose. Our Heavenly Father wants

us to keep our bodies covered so that we do not encourage improper thoughts in the minds of others.

Satan not only encourages us to dress immodestly, but he also encourages us to think immoral or improper thoughts. He does this with pictures, movies, stories, jokes,

music, and dances that suggest immoral acts. The law of chastity requires that our thoughts as well as our actions be pure. -- Gospel Principles, Chapter 39

• 1 month later...

The other day during sunday meetings a member said "being mormon is out of style" and is quite true...But being a mormon is being happy...

modesty...truelly gone, but I see some girls here (Portugal) which used to leave modesty behind and nowadays they encounter an issue that bothers them: guys only look at their body, and not the person inside it...they got tired and now dress with modesty...

that will continue happen over and over again...To tell you the truth, never thought that modesty would be a problem for the us, men...wearing a t-shirt and jeans wasn't that hard...it was normal...looks like our uncle satan could find a way to hit us :D

modest is the hottest ^^

The other day during sunday meetings a member said "being mormon is out of style" a

its ever been in style lol? As long as people are taught to follow the crowd fashion gets challenged if it works as it has been doing here grunge should be back in that was incredibly modest last time round lol

I was very disappointed when we got that lesson in YW that said you needed to dress in style, wear makeup and shave your legs in order to get a man

As someone who wears a Uniform almost every day of the week, I fully support uniforms in schools. When I pick up my oldest from his school, I am amazed at what some of the kids are wearing. I mean, you have girls who look like they are getting ready to walk the streets, and it's below freezing out (I live in the Denver area). Then you have guys wearing skinny jeans or sporting mohawks (not fauxhawks, real life, 10-18 inch high mohawks, although fauxhawks look really dumb to me as well), and I can't help but wish that I didn't live in such a liberal area, where I could voice my opinion and not be labeled a religious whack job.

Oh well, I guess that's the price I pay for living in beautiful Colorado...

Which reminds me, how do you know God is a Broncos fan?

Because he made sunsets Orange and Blue!!

One of my teachers once told us how his daughter went to Mexico, and her friends where wearing skimpy clothes, and his daughter was wearing a T-shirt and jeans, and the guys where offering to buy her drinks, and not her friends.

Modesty ROCKS!!!

(Wow, I just tried to come up with a modesty version of that song "Who put the bomp in the bomp bomp bomp" At least, I think that's what it's called.)

I find it gross to see guys wearing baggy pants that hang down almost to their knees exposing most of their boxer shorts! I think that both genders need to dress more appropriately!

I know as a guy when I see this it makes me think inappropriate thoughts...

... depantsing or wedgies are inappropriate right?

I find it gross to see guys wearing baggy pants that hang down almost to their knees exposing most of their boxer shorts! be thankful they are at least wearing shorts- there are some here in my town that don't- talk about GROSS!! I think that both genders need to dress more appropriately!

It makes me want to dig out my stapler from my purse and staple their pants on so no way will they expose "possible".

(defination of Possible: My mother was a nurse, and when I was in my early teens I asked her when she was in nursing school if she had to wash men- all of them, all of their parts? She said that she would wash them as far down as possible, and as far up as possible, then hand them the wash cloth and have them wash "Possible". :lol:

It makes me want to dig out my stapler from my purse and staple their pants on so no way will they expose "possible".

You are much kinder than I am. That said I don't carry staples in my purse... since I don't have one.

This is what I wish would happen to those who don't dress modestly. Ya know those rains that come when it must be 33 degrees F outside? So basically warm enough to not freeze, but cold enough to make you freeze. I wish that would happen to them. It can happen to me too since I like the rain and the cold, but it would bring great satisfaction to see it happen to them.

• 3 weeks later...

I asked a related question in another forum before I saw this, but I'm still hoping to hear from people. I just want to commend especially the women who seek to dress modestly as it shows their heart is more concerned with what God thinks than with looking a certain way to men. I think it shows a lot of integrity when any girl today dresses appropriately. So if you're one of those people, bravo! Stand firm in your conviction.

I would think that individual Mormon churches would set standards of some kind on this. Don't they? I'm not saying I think a church should make a zillion rules, but some standards are just common sense. Asking a woman not to show cleavage in public is a no brainer, isn't it?

I asked a related question in another forum before I saw this, but I'm still hoping to hear from people. I just want to commend especially the women who seek to dress modestly as it shows their heart is more concerned with what God thinks than with looking a certain way to men. I think it shows a lot of integrity when any girl today dresses appropriately. So if you're one of those people, bravo! Stand firm in your conviction.

I would think that individual Mormon churches would set standards of some kind on this. Don't they? I'm not saying I think a church should make a zillion rules, but some standards are just common sense. Asking a woman not to show cleavage in public is a no brainer, isn't it?

All of the individual congregations (I think this is what you mean when you say churches) pretty much operate under the same rules. These are found in For the Strength of Youth. This pamphlet describes commendable attributes of LDS youth (and members for that matter, old and young), including dress standards, media standards, and so forth. The advice/rules established in this publication are largely followed by members everywhere.

• 3 weeks later...

You are much kinder than I am. That said I don't carry staples in my purse... since I don't have one.

I carry a mini stapler in my school binder... think I should teach those wannabe gang-bangers a thing about modesty or two? lol, I really don't have the guts...don't want anything on my permanent record...

hey, teachers can't always afford things like staplers. Or pencil sharpeners. I carry that with me, too.

Whenever I see a staple gun, I always think of teachers. When I was a student, we had great fun with these things in the school hall. It's fun to see how far the staples will travel when fired in the air (as opposed to against a wall) but it also gives off a satisfying "kaa-chunk" each time you squeeze the handle. Ahh, those were the days </reminiscing>

Edited by Mahone