Is modesty out of style?

Gretchen

The school I go to has officially lost their sense of control over students. We have a dress code, but that is more of a joke than anything. It states that shirts need at least three-finger-width sleeves, but it's not uncommon to see kids wearing tube tops and micro-minis. Most teachers have given up on the dress code enforcement, but, the majority of the kids think the dress code is too strict (needless to say, I don't go to a school with a whole lot of LDS people. There might be 30 members among 1500 other students).

I for one do not like this, and I know that if you where to get a job somewhere, like say... Marble Slab Creamery, and if you refused to wear the uniform, you'd get fired.

Does anyone else feel this way?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to a private school and it was mandatory to wear uniforms. Much like those in Harry Potter actually. No matter your gender, everyone wore ties and blazers. I always thought they were annoying until I moved to the US and attended high school my sophomore year without uniforms. It was then, that I realised, how much I missed the uniform dress code. The whole thing was a HUGE cultural shock to me! I was absolutely amazed in what was considered acceptable to wear at school. But having been brought up in an extremely strict schooling environment that enforced dress code, the overall grooming of many of my peers, seemed poor to me. Not just in regards to modesty but in regards to being presentable as well.

Oh, and my high school had many LDS members. So I was a bit disappointed with their preaching on Sundays and their lack of living what they preached on weekdays. Anyway, more on topic and to point, modesty is a big problem everywhere with non-members and members. You don't have to be LDS to dress decently.

I attended Ricks College (now BYU Idaho) some years back. Obviously, there is a strict dress code. What amazed me was how many girls would break out the mini-skirts and more revealing attire -- and then go to Church in them!

Crazy, no?

I think the reason it happened was because nobody would send them home from Church to go change, but a professor most certainly would if they were in class.

I attended Ricks College (now BYU Idaho) some years back.

Okay now I do feel old. If your age is correct on your profile..I went to Ricks before you were even born. hahahaha

I went to a private school and it was mandatory to wear uniforms. Much like those in Harry Potter actually. No matter your gender, everyone wore ties and blazers. I always thought they were annoying until I moved to the US and attended high school my sophomore year without uniforms. It was then, that I realised, how much I missed the uniform dress code. The whole thing was a HUGE cultural shock to me! I was absolutely amazed in what was considered acceptable to wear at school. But having been brought up in an extremely strict schooling environment that enforced dress code, the overall grooming of many of my peers, seemed poor to me. Not just in regards to modesty but in regards to being presentable as well.

Oh, and my high school had many LDS members. So I was a bit disappointed with their preaching on Sundays and their lack of living what they preached on weekdays. Anyway, more on topic and to point, modesty is a big problem everywhere with non-members and members. You don't have to be LDS to dress decently.

This is so interesting. When I llived in the almost bankrupt state of California, the school district I lived in studied the issue, and held open debates about school uniforms. The four parents that made the biggest stink about the issue, and sent around petitions AGAINST uniforms were in my ward.

Research seems to indicate that uniforms iin schools work.

Research seems to indicate that uniforms iin schools work.

They do. Here in England, any secondary school and below will wear uniform. About the worst rebelling the students can do with what they are forced to wear is do up their tie in weird and wonderful ways, and have their shirt untucked, the former of which most teachers turn a blind eye to.

Occasionally we had non-uniform days in school and I remember seeing other kids getting bullied due to not wearing Nike or Adidas trainers (they were the fashion when I was in school - no idea why) and muliple other things which didn't quite meet their expensive expectations in attire.

And if nothing else, it gives the students something to completely destroy on the last day of school - it'd be better it was their uniform than the school itself ;). I think my old school blazor ended up in about 50 different pieces on the train on the way home. My friends had great fun with that one.

Back when I was in high school- I graduated in 1970- the dress code was- no pants or slacks for girls, the boys could wear Levi's- but they had to be in good shape and pressed. NO white T-shirts at all. Colored T-shirts weren't around then.

Women's Pant suits were just coming into fashion- and us girls really wanted to be able to wear them. Our hemlines were just above the knees and rising.

I had always worn my hemlines about 3 inches below my knee. When the hemlines raised, I begged my Mom to raise mine. She agreed to do so with just one skirt.

I nearly froze my tush off- this was in the winter in Seattle.

The school officials refused to allow the girls to wear slacks/pants. Now, ALL of the officials were men. They wore slacks- they didn't have a clue how miserable we girls were in our skirts.

So we challenged them to walk the perimeter of the outside baseball field wearing a skirt. THEY did it!! Not one of them made it all around the field. They quit at second base and stated that girls could only wear dress slacks, in good repair and pressed.

During the winter- nearly all of the female student body were wearing dress slacks. No more frozen bums.

It wasn't until many years later that they finally did away with the dress code- too bad, because they really need it.

Being modest is a choice that each individual can make. Before the dress code was changed allowing girls to wear slacks- I lowered my hemline back and wore knee socks to help keep me warm. I also wore full skirts because the tighter skirts were not modest in my opinion.

During my senior year I wore my hems to my ankles. I didn't have to shave my legs- I didn't have to wear nylons/pantyhose (I hate them even to this day!!) and I was warm from my ankles to my shoulders :lol:. Granny Dresses! Oh how I wish I could get them now.

Maybe I should uncover my sewing machine and go to the thrift stores and hunt up some patterns and make my own again.

All my life I was taught by my parents to Dare To Be Different. Don't always blindly follow the fashion trends. Pick what suits you, create what you are comfortable with, and Never, never, never show more than what your father will allow you to show :lol:. Which is just the elbows and knees :eek:

Now, ALL of the officials were men. They wore slacks- they didn't have a clue how miserable we girls were in our skirts.

So we challenged them to walk the perimeter of the outside baseball field wearing a skirt. THEY did it!! Not one of them made it all around the field. They quit at second base and stated that girls could only wear dress slacks, in good repair and pressed.

If only youtube was around then...

What amazed me was how many girls would break out the mini-skirts...

Sorry, but I will never say anything against a proper miniskirt.

Well, if whale tails and butt cracks are any indication I would have to answer yes to your initial thread question.

I know what butt cracks are but what the heck are "whale tails"?!?!

IMHO dress codes are effective when the parents are on board. In our area some of the middle schools have them, primarily to foster a sense of community, and to avoid placing pressure on kids to be cool by wearing the latest name-brand fashions. Since the parents are saving money, and even poorer kids can fit in, there's a lot of support for the codes. These codes are clearcut and easy to enforce. Students will wear white shirts/blouses and dark pants/skirts, etc. This way enforcement is all about fostering community and obeying the rules, rather than staff members having to imply that a student's clothing is sexually suggestive.

i went a public school in new jersey, just across the river from NYC, and we (boys) had to wear a jacket and tie (suits, suit jacket, etc.). this was from (for me) 1966 to 1970, hippie era, of which i considered my self one...hippie, not era.

mini-skirts just came out and they were banned in school.

next day, EVERY girl that owned one, wore it.

next day, they were no longer forbidden.

some of the boys tried to do the same with jackets and ties (other schools in our county didnt have to wear them) and it failed miserably.

girls rule!!