Is modesty out of style?

Gretchen

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mahone, even more ugly on a 48 inch waist and up over 6 inches higher than the waistband. Barf, barf, barf.

Ben Raines

Nu uh uh :ahntah:

It's really just unfashionable and raunchy regardless of the size of the waistline. Thongs are so 90's..

Guest xforeverxmetalx
:P I just think uniforms are in a way giving up on letting people dress how they want because it's going to cause too many problems if they can. my high school was a pretty big one, and modesty was definitely a problem [lots of shown cleavage, wearing pants too low, etc]. but I don't really see that as reason enough to force uniforms on the rest of us. schools just need to be more strict on the dress code, and when that doesn't work, it's not the hardest thing in the world to look away and keep taking notes or whatever. basically to me it's a question of personal freedom vs trying not to hurt/offend anyone.

It's the top of the thong showing above the waistline of the jeans or whatever is being worn. It has the appearence of a whales tail.

EDIT: Do NOT ask why I know this.

Whales are an endangered species! SAVE THE WHALES!

Thong aka butt floss :D:eek:

Just remember, experts say that we should floss at least once a day!

wow, seems like I'm the only one so far who would have a serious problem if I had to wear uniforms

Why would you have a problem with it? Some people just don't like business/office style clothing, which is what school uniform can be compared to (at least the uniform I had to wear was). But I actually like office style attire (like church clothes), I feel quite comfortable in it. I tend to think I'm the odd one out in my age group though.

Now if the uniform was bright red or green, then that I might have had a problem with.

wow, seems like I'm the only one so far who would have a serious problem if I had to wear uniforms

I had a problem with it in high school too, when our faculty was discussing it. I was against for two reasons: money (we weren't very well off and I wore a lot of hand-me-downs) and because I had seen some pics I shouldn't have seen about sexy schoolgirls.

Well, I also had a problem wearing any skirt that I couldn't put pants underneath, as we had a skirt-flipping problem in my school.

Guest xforeverxmetalx

Why would you have a problem with it? Some people just don't like business/office style clothing, which is what school uniform can be compared to (at least the uniform I had to wear was). But I actually like office style attire (like church clothes), I feel quite comfortable in it. I tend to think I'm the odd one out in my age group though.

Now if the uniform was bright red or green, then that I might have had a problem with.

probably opposite me, I hate formal clothing in general, don't even like dressing up for church :P [though I do of course]

wouldn't matter the color, if I couldn't come to school in band t-shirts and jeans/pants, I'd definitely have an issue.

I had a problem with it in high school too, when our faculty was discussing it. I was against for two reasons: money (we weren't very well off and I wore a lot of hand-me-downs) and because I had seen some pics I shouldn't have seen about sexy schoolgirls.

Well, I also had a problem wearing any skirt that I couldn't put pants underneath, as we had a skirt-flipping problem in my school.

yea I hate skirts... I don't see the point in anyone requiring them to be worn, even at church. besides that they're socially regarded as more formal than nice pants. but gah I hate them :P

probably opposite me, I hate formal clothing in general, don't even like dressing up for church :P [though I do of course]

wouldn't matter the color, if I couldn't come to school in band t-shirts and jeans/pants, I'd definitely have an issue.

I guess that brings up another point. Depending on where people go to work after they leave education, they may be forced to wear clothes they aren't entirely happy wearing. It could be argued that if they have grown up being pretty much able to wear what they please, they may have trouble understanding the prospect of being told what they can and can't wear, particularly in their first job.

^

Excellent point, Mahone.

And regarding "skirt flipping". I can tell you one thing, those students that "skirt flip", wouldn't last ONE DAY in my school. That stuff just wasn't tolerated. And while every group has a rebel, you definitely didn't want to be a rebel at KGV because all that got you, was being made an example out of by faculty. But when it came to dress code, the prefects were probably the most obnoxious.

Guest xforeverxmetalx

I guess that brings up another point. Depending on where people go to work after they leave education, they may be forced to wear clothes they aren't entirely happy wearing. It could be argued that if they have grown up being pretty much able to wear what they please, they may have trouble understanding the prospect of being told what they can and can't wear, particularly in their first job.

eh depends, I've never heard of people losing jobs over clothes... most jobs available to 16-17yr olds are basically fast food and grocery stores, which almost always have a special shirt and need nice pants, certain shoes, etc at least. so I guess they get used to the idea that you have to look nicer for your job.

^

And regarding "skirt flipping". I can tell you one thing, those students that "skirt flip", wouldn't last ONE DAY in my school. That stuff just wasn't tolerated. And while every group has a rebel, you definitely didn't want to be a rebel at KGV because all that got you, was being made an example out of by faculty. But when it came to dress code, the prefects were probably the most obnoxious.

Actually the skirt flipping I referred to was, a couple other girls who walked up behind the skirt wearer while she was on the stairs, grabbed the skirt and flipped it up to show whatever underwear was being worn, then attempt to race away.

The one time one of them tried it on me I got her suspended. She was one of those who was bussed over from the teen detention facility every morning. But at least she didn't try it on me again. I was in fear she was going to pull a knife on me or something for narking, she never did, but that could be why other victims didn't report it.

Bini, you were in a private school right? I'm talking public school. There was an alternative school, but it was for those who had repeat offended waaaay too many times and were 20 years old and still not graduated. No private schools in small towns. :(

lol, thanks Pam. I didn't want to take the chance of being banned from such an awesome site.

Yes, prostitution is the only profession I can think of where micros are "professional" looking.

I disagree. You assume all prostitutes wear mini skirts. Not round here they dont. They wear jeans and puffa jackets, hoop earrings and hair scraped back in a ponytail. A short skirt can look elegant if worn in the right way. I think its a little extreme and naive to assume short skirts=prostitute.

I think its a little extreme and naive to assume short skirts=prostitute.

I agree, even though I personally don't wear micro mini skirts, they don't always mean that the wearer is a prostitute. I sometimes wear skirts that are just above the knee, and they do look elegant, especially when paired with a nice blouse.

I had always worn my hemlines about 3 inches below my knee. When the hemlines raised, I begged my Mom to raise mine. She agreed to do so with just one skirt.

I nearly froze my tush off- this was in the winter in Seattle.

Yet, Schools Like Kennedy, Highline, Tyee, Evergreen, And Mt. Rainier are all Equipped with Outdoor Hallways. I was A Guy fully Dressed with a Trenchcoat on and I froze my Tush off... Class of '01 PIRATES!! Hmm...