The Nutty Lawsuit Thread

Just_A_Guy

Lol I did exactly the same thing last christmas. Just walked out the store, forgetting I'd tucked a £20 (around $38) item under my arm. Got half a mile down the road before I noticed, walked back into the store and paid without being questioned by any of the store staff once.

Edited by Mahone

In 1999, Daniel Dukes, a 27 year old from Florida hatched a clever plot so that he could have his life long dream of swimming with a whale fulfilled. He hid from the security guards at Sea World and managed to stay in the park after closing. Shortly after, he dived into the tank containing a killer whale – fulfilling his dream. Daniel was killed by the whale. His parents proceeded to sue Sea World because they did not display public warnings that the whale (Tillikum) could kill people. They also claim that the whale is wrongly portrayed as friendly because of the stuffed toys sold there.

This year's favorite could easily be Mr. Merv Grazinski of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Mr. Grazinski purchased a brand new 32-foot Winnebago motor home. On his first trip home, having driven onto the freeway, he set the cruise control at 70 mph and calmly left the drivers seat to go into the back and make himself a cup of coffee. Not surprisingly, the R.V. left the freeway, crashed and overturned. Mr. Grazinski sued Winnebago for not advising him in the owner's manual that he couldn't actually do this. The jury awarded him $1,750,000 plus a new motor home. The company actually changed their manuals on the basis of this suit, just in case there were any other complete morons buying their recreation vehicles.

The classic case was about 30 years ago when a woman bathed her dog and tried to dry it in her microwave. The unfortunate animal was cooked alive, and the woman successfully sued the microwave manufacturers for not saying "do not put your dog in it".

Mahone, I try to avoid litigation (other than family law litigation, which provides me with my quota of daily headaches!).

I did get a call the other day from a guy who wanted me to sue a hospital because he had been in a "self-induced coma" (his words), and the hospital told his wife exactly what put him in a coma. She subsequently left him, and he thought he had himself a HIPAA violation (he didn't).

• 2 weeks later...

This is a true case of believe it or not. Christopher Roller, a resident of Minnesota sued David Blaine and David Copperfield – demanding that they reveal their secret magic tricks to him. He demanded 10% of their total income for life. The reason for the suit is that Roller believes that the magicians are defying the laws of physics, and thereby using godly powers. But it gets worse. Roller is suing not just because the magicians are using God’s powers – he is suing because he thinks he is God and therefore it is his powers they are stealing.

That's awesome, Pam! I did some sniffing; Copperfield's (lawyers') response is here. The court's decision is here.

Oh this was priceless:

Plaintiff is running for President of the United States in 2008 with Bill Gates as his running mate.

Plaintiff claims he is Jesus Christ.

Plaintiff claims he is God.

Plaintiff claims that Katie Couric and Celine Dion are his wives and are going to have his

children.

Plaintiff claims there is a movie coming out soon about his life that stars Tom Hanks.

Plaintiff claims he has killed all of his enemies.Plaintiff claims he will father 1,000,000 babies.

For a while in the 1990s, Anheuser-Busch, the producers of Budweiser, ran a series of ads in which two beautiful women come to life in front of two truck drivers. A Michigan man bought a case of the beer, drank it, and failed to see two women materialize. Cue the lawsuit. He sued the company for false advertising, asking for a sum in excess of $10,000. Thankfully the court dismissed the suit and the man remained penniless and dateless.

I'm too lazy today to look things up, but I remember something on the news in Orlando a few years back about a teen-age boy whose latest hobby was to jump across parking garages - jumping buildings was made popular by some Madonna video or that first James Bond movie with Daniel Craig in it... - Anyway, he fell 6 stories to his death and his dad is suing the parking garages for not putting a "Do Not Jump" sign or some such.

Edited by anatess

This happened right before I was born, so if the story is a little short on detail, please forgive me.

My Father and Mother were out one night, club hopping with some friends. While driving between clubs and going down a narrow rode, a homeless man tried to commit suicide, by jumping in front of my Fathers car. My Father was a semi-successful stock car race driver, at the time, and avoided hitting the man. Unfortunately the car behind did not not miss.

The family of the homeless man sued the driver of the car that struck the poor "forgotten man" (that may be a hint of how old this story is) and also my father, because they felt, that because of his skills as a driver, he should have been able to protect the man from the car, that ultimately took his life.

I didn't take two minutes to throw this case out of court, but they used to do thing different back then.

The McDonald's suit wasn't really all that outrageous. In the past ten years, over seven hundred other customers had been scalded by McDonald's coffee, which was kept about 20 degrees hotter than the industry average. McDonald's knew they had a problem, but they covered the problem up rather than fix it. When this customer asked McDonald's to cover only her medical bills, they told her to go pound sand.

That's a wonderful way to get a judgment of punitive damages (which, incidentally, was later trimmed on appeal).

Well this article I read today has shocked me a bit. Basically, the Church of England has invoked a British law that was written over 800 years ago in order to squeeze over £200,000 ($326,624) from a couple of who own a nearby farmhouse.

Couple forced to sell farm for £500,000 to pay for repair bill at church where Shakespeare's parents married | Mail Online

I only live about 15 miles from where this whole fiasco has taken place.